St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 Reviews

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 6
St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 7

Hannah Leverentz · Married on 10/13/2018

Perfect Wedding Experience

Our wedding at the St. James Hotel was absolutely perfect -- beyond perfect, in fact. Every member of the staff with whom we interacted was professional, prompt, friendly, and went above and beyond the call of duty to help us make our wedding a beautiful and joyful celebration. The venue is gorgeous, there is ample free parking for guests, the hotel rooms are beautiful, and the food is delicious. Abby Hanson (the wedding sales manager) worked closely with us from day one to give us a seamless, stress-free wedding planning experience. I would recommend this venue to anyone who wants an amazing value and a perfect, beautiful, stress-free wedding.

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 8

Peyton Moore · Married on 10/05/2018

Incredible!!

I got so lucky finding this hotel to use for our wedding venue! The location is stunning. It feels like stepping back in time. The Edwardian decor is truly impressive. But besides the beauty, the service was the best. Abby Hanson was our wedding coordinator (part of the deal when we booked), and she was there for us every step of the way, from helping us choose our food, to reserving rooms for our guests, and being available on the big day to keep things running on track. We received a free suite on the wedding night and it was filled with beautiful gifts upon entering. If you want a wedding that is self-contained, go to the St. James. Your guests will thank you when they don't have to drive anywhere after the ceremony or reception. I will never forget that day and the St. James made it everything I hoped and dreamed for!

Dan · Married on 09/07/2018

Abby is a very talented wedding coordinator! She helped us get everything ready for our wedding day which was of immense help as we mostly planned the event from out of state. The food was phenomenal (Minnesota Pot Roast, Tuscan chicken & pasta primavera) and the venue is perfectly situated along the Mississippi River with stunning views and easy access to downtown Red Wing & the Amtrak station. Could not have asked for a better day! Thank you!

Bailey · Married on 04/14/2018

Abby and the St. James team were absolutely fabulous. They were helpful and professional. Our wedding day was perfect!

Rihanna · Married on 01/05/2018

We loved having our wedding at the St. James Hotel in Red Wing, MN. I am originally from the area, so I love the Mississippi River, and my husband loves history. This place offered us the best of both worlds with the beautiful views of the river and bluffs, and there was so much historical background within the venue from the woodwork, ceiling, and decor. Abby, the wedding coordinator, made sure everything was perfect and kept me on track with my planning to make sure things were turned in on time, etc. She answered any question I had ASAP and was always there to lend her advice on what worked best with the venue and timelines. The comp suite you are given the night of the wedding is beyond beautiful, and you are given an extremely generous gift from the hotel that you can use forever. Every aspect of the day was perfect, and our guest continue to talk about how beautiful and perfect the venue was. Only downfall was the front desk clerk was a little rude to a couple of our guests, which kind of left a sour taste in our mouths upon leaving the hotel. So that was a bummer. However, we 10/10 would recommend this venue if you are looking for something with views, history, and greatness!
    P.S. We had our ceremony and reception in the Summit Room, and we also did a social hour between the ceremony and dinner in the Historic Area bar.

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 9
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 10
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 11
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 12
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 13
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 14

Katie · Married on 12/09/2017

We had an amazing experience at the St James for our December wedding! I have nothing but positive things to say. We used the Historic Lobby for our cocktail hour and the Summit Room for our reception and both spaces were gorgeous. The staff were all friendly and accommodating, and the wedding coordinator, Abby, was great to work with.

The price was so reasonable, and it was a great weekend getaway for our guests. We stayed at the hotel, got ready at the salon downstairs, and got our flowers from the floral shop in the hotel - all in one place, it couldn’t have been easier or more perfect! So grateful to the St James for making our wedding day an absolute dream!

Lindsay · Married on 11/04/2017

Our experience at the St. James could not have been any better. Abby was great! I asked so many questions leading up to the big day and she always responded within 24hrs and most times within 2-3hrs. She is knowledgable and friendly. The venue is gorgeous and recently updated! Great price too! The catering staff goes above and beyond to make sure that you and your guests are well taken care of. The waiters/waitresses were constantly asking us how it was going and complementing us on our big day! My parents even noticed how tentative the staff was! Thank you so much for making our big day special!

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 15
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 16
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 17
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 18

Shannon · Married on 10/03/2017

We had the wedding and the reception at the St James. Made things so much easier! Food was excellent, and a very good value for what you get. The service was fantastic! The staff was so helpful and kind. Abby Hanson is the wedding planner. She was a lot of fun to work with! The St James is very affordable if you are doing a small wedding. I highly recommend it!

Laura · Married on 09/16/2017

I looked and spoke to about 50 wedding venues and was getting so frustrated that I couldn't find something that we loved, wasn't a ton of work and in our price range. We wanted everything in one place with an outdoors ceremony and indoor reception. When I first got info on the St. James, I thought it was too good to be true. It met all of our criteria (we did out ceremony in the park behind the St. James) and was in our price range. I figured there had to be a catch but there wasn't! It was seriously PERFECT!

They were incredible to work with throughout the process. They responded promptly to our many questions and helped us every step of the way. The work we had to do for set up and tear down was minimal and they provided pretty much all of the basics that many other DIY venues lacked like china, linens, tables, easels, etc. Instead of being a generic hotel ballroom though, this hotel has so much character! As soon as I walked in and saw the view of the river from the Summit Room, I knew we had to get married there. We loved that everything was under one roof- getting ready, our florist (Clementine is the best!), the hotel for the guests and our complimentary honeymoon suite. It made logistics so much easier!

The staff was all so helpful and attentive. They really went out of their way and wowed us with little surprises along the way. Our families and guests were so impressed! The food was absolutely incredible! We did tacos and had mac and cheese bites for late night snacks- sooooo good!

The only problem we ran into was that we ran out of hotel rooms in our block, the St. James and every hotel in all of Red Wing for our date (Sept 16). If you are getting married in the fall, book LOTS of rooms way ahead of time to ensure all of your guests have accommodations. The St. James is a small boutique hotel that has a lot of charm and fills up fast.

We couldn't imagine getting married anywhere else. Definitely go with the St. James! You won't regret it :)

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 19
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 20
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 21
    St. James Hotel, Est. 1875 22

Kelli · Married on 04/21/2017

Our experience planning and holding our wedding and wedding reception at the St. James Hotel was absolutely wonderful. The front desk associates, the wedding coordinator, maintenance, housekeeping, the banquet manager, and the entire staff was incredibly kind and helpful. We were treated as though we were staying at a luxury hotel. The venue was also stunningly beautiful!!

Jenna · Married on 12/10/2016

The St. James was so beautiful and perfect for our wedding! Marissa was beyond wonderful to work with. She responded to my questions, even while she was out of the office, to help us nail down every detail. Before meeting Marissa and choosing the St. James, I wasn't quite sure where to start, but she made planning a breeze! The venue is beautiful and accommodating, and our guests STILL compliment us on the food!

Stacey · Married on 12/03/2016

The St James is such a beautiful place for a wedding! We had our reception and ceremony there and everything went perfect. Marissa was so great to work with and she helped us so much with all the little details. We are so happy we chose the St. James for our wedding.

Laura · Married on 11/12/2016

This venue is spectacular - all of our guests RAVED about how beautiful the reception room, view, and guests rooms were! The wedding manager, Marissa, was on top of all of my questions and made sure our wedding went smoothly every step of the way.
    If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

• Jes

Jes · Married on 09/24/2016

My husband and I got married at SJH on 9/24 and we were so so so happy with how the day turned out. Marissa was amazing from the very beginning, answering my massive amounts of emails with every question under the sun, to helping out the day before and day of. The staff was amazing as well. Our guests really enjoyed attending a wedding at the SJH. Thank you for making our wedding day so spectacular! We are very lucky!

Leah · Married on 09/17/2016

Marissa at the st James hotel made our wedding so memorable. She was always willing to email me back whenever I had a question and she was always willing to meet with me whenever I wanted to see the venue. She made our day perfect. I would recommend working with her at the st James to any of my friends.

Lara · Married on 09/16/2016

I can't stress how happy we were with our experience at the St. James Hotel. My husband and I were married there this September and we worked primarily with Marissa. She is amazing. She was patient and understanding through all of our decision making and changes, and she was incredibly easy to communicate with. She was present the day of the event and more than willing to do anything necessary to make sure the day went smoothly -- which it did. The venue is beautiful and historical, and easily accommodates both large and small groups. We had a somewhat smaller guest list and they were still happy to put us up in the large Summit Room for our reception. We can't recommend this enough as a venue, wedding or otherwise. Expect wonderful service and an event your guests will talk about for a long time!

Brittany · Married on 08/26/2016

Couldn't have asked for a better place to have a wedding and ceremony! The staff was great, food was perfect and the rooms were beautiful!

Maren · Married on 01/16/2016

My (now) husband and I spent a romantic wintry weekend at the St. James a few years ago. When we got engaged we wanted to capture that same romantic/warm/cozy/mini-getaway atmosphere for our wedding.
    The hotel as a setting is beautiful, the prices are reasonable (esp. when you get a discounted rate for a winter wedding), and Marissa - the St Jame's wedding coordinator - is unbeatable to work with. She was responsive without being overbearing throughout the entire planning process, and day-of she was invaluable to the flow of events. She even whipped together a grooms dinner with less than two-weeks notice.
    Our day looked like this: 150 guests (98% of our rsvp's responded yes!), ceremony in Christ Episcopal Church a few blocks away, cocktail hour with a live band in the historic lobby and dinner and dancing in the Summit Room. We wanted a wintry romantic getaway where everyone escaped for the weekend, and that's exactly what we go.

Marissa was wonderful to work with. She was responsive, flexible, and overall fun. The venue itself is gorgeous and our wedding guests had a blast.

Marissa was fantastic to work with on our big day! She was extremely prompt in her response times and receptive to all of our inquiries and planning that made our day absolutely perfect. Highly recommend the St. James Hotel and Marissa to all future couples!

Emily · Married on 10/09/2015

Great location and easy to work with! Marissa has been so far, great to work with!!

Sent on 12/05/2014

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875's reply:

Thank you, Emily! I'm looking forward to working with you and Matt!

Marissa Ostern and the St. James were wonderful to work with for lodging and rehearsal dinner plans. The hotel is beautiful, the food delicious, and Marissa is very patient , positive, and professional!

Marissa was absolutely amazing to work with, she did everything we asked and went above and beyond in every regard. Our day was flawless because of her and the St. James staff. I would highly recommend them for any wedding!

Ben

Brianna · Married on 09/12/2015

The St. James Hotel provided an exceptional reception location for our wedding. The night was perfect, many thanks to Marissa and the entire team. We still hear comments about the delicious food as well!

Rebecca · Married on 08/22/2015

Very friendly and helpful. Made sure everything ran smoothly efficiently.