Squawkbox Sound Reviews

Squawkbox Sound 7
  • Alyssa

Alyssa Stegmaier · Married on 08/31/2019

DJ, MC, Coordinator, all of the Above

My husband and I were married on 08/31/2019. Both of us are introverted people, and don’t dance much. We had no clue where to start when it came to looking for a DJ. Thankfully our venue had some suggestions and a few emails/phone calls later and we were in contact with Squawkbox. Russ asked us such great questions, regarding what we were looking for so he could provide us with exactly what we wanted. We were pleasantly surprised when Russ and his wife invited us over to their place for dinner, and to go over our wedding music. We were sent a few questions to fill out regarding what music we wanted for just about every little wedding day music thing you can think of. Which was great, because we didn’t have to sit down and think of all the little moments that required music. They even gave fantastic suggestions for songs when we were stumped. For instance we couldn’t decide what to play for our ceremony exit, Russ played a few bars of a couple songs and worked with us to find the perfect one. Russ was unavailable to DJ for our wedding, but he assured us our DJ Josh would be fantastic. Russ couldn’t have been more wrong. Josh wasn’t fantastic, he was beyond fantastic. He was the best possible DJ we could have hired. Josh was professional, and so fun. He took what we talked about with Russ and did better than we could have ever imagined. For example, we did the shoe game, and after a few questions he asked our guests for questions. During our anniversary dance the last few couples left standing were asked to give us some marriage advice (it was so touching to hear from my husband’s granddad who’s been married for so many years tell us what works for his marriage). Josh even went beyond the job of a DJ. During dinner he helped to usher tables and spent time talking with our guests. Never did our reception dance feel like every other wedding, and guests who don’t typically dance got out on the dance floor, including my husband who swore he might dance for one or two songs. He ended up dancing the night away. Many of our guests kept saying how amazing our DJ was. We couldn’t have asked for a better DJ and recommend Squawkbox to anyone getting married in the Northern Utah area.

Sent on 10/02/2019
    Squawkbox Sound 8
    Squawkbox Sound 9
    Squawkbox Sound 10
    Squawkbox Sound 11
  • Kendall

Kendall · Married on 08/16/2019

Amazing guy and dj

Russ made the night amazing. He was there at the ceremony and the reception to help the guests. His planning beforehand was impeccable and he was always on top of things and helping us with our big day. We were on the fence about having a live band or DJ and Russ made us forget any thought about the live band because he was so interactive. He also was great with instructions and had such a great attitude and energy with our guests! 100% great pick!

Sent on 08/23/2019
  • Alyssa

Alyssa · Married on 07/26/2019

Great to work with!

Russ DJ'd our wedding and he did a fantastic job! He was so fun and easy to work with! I don't think we ever left the dance floor and more than one guest said it was the best selection of music they've heard at a wedding. I can not recommend Squawkbox Sound enough!

Sent on 07/27/2019
  • Andrew

Andrew Mclellan · Married on 07/13/2019

Fantastic DJ!

We had Russ as the DJ for our wedding in July 2019 and couldn’t be happier with our experience. Long before the wedding he took a very personal approach, meeting with us in person multiple times to make sure he had us locked down as a couple. We provided music we liked as well as some no plays, and we discussed the vibe we were going for at our wedding. Russ even offered for my wife to record a message for her father, which he could splice into the song during their father-daughter dance. It ended up being such a nice touch that brought many at the event - including her father - to tears. Throughout the whole evening, Russ did a great job - from the ceremony to dinner, speeches, and especially dancing. Russ kept everyone happy, energized, and on the dance floor throughout the reception. We couldn’t have been more pleased with him as our DJ and would recommend him for any wedding or event.

Sent on 09/14/2019
  • Jenny

Jenny Taylor · Married on 06/29/2019

Look no further - Russ is the best (and will help you with emergencies that arise!!)

Let me add another 5-star review to Russ's already glowing record! Absolutely, the BEST DJ you will find. Having a great DJ for our wedding was really important to my fiance and me, so we interviewed quite a few DJs, and Russ from Squawkbox Sound easily stood out - let me list 5 reasons why Russ will make your wedding day special and why I'm confident he is your best choice: 1) He is extremely professional, punctual, and thoughtful (he will meet with you before the wedding to go over all of the details, confirm a timeline, he will make all of the necessary announcements at your wedding in a warm and professional manner, etc. - our guests adored him!), 2) he is flexible and willing to make what may seem like a miracle actually happen (example: my mother-in-law doesn't speak any English, and we wanted to be sure she felt included during the ceremony, but we didn't want a translator whispering during the ceremony to be distracting to other guests; I asked Russ if he could hook the translator up with a headset - with a live feed from the ceremony - and a microphone to talk into, in another room, and if he could hook my mother-in-law up with earbuds so she could listen to the translator through a headset - he did it!! Because of Russ, my mother-in-law was able to fully experience her son getting married, laugh along with the other guests, etc. - it was perfect, and it wouldn't have happened without Russ), 3) Russ stays on top of the game - he is one of only 2 DJs I found in the SLC area who actually attends continuing education workshops around the country to continue to hone is professional skills (and his pricing was much more reasonable than the other DJ - he provides an excellent value without sacrificing anything you'd want in a DJ), 4) Russ is FUN - he plays good music, he is responsive and knows when to change music up if it's not working for the crowd, and he knows how to mix songs, and lastly, 5) ***he will help you handle emergencies***. This was absolutely critical at our wedding - we had a quite negative experience with our wedding coordinator (who was absent for virtually the entire cocktail hour and reception) - I can't even count the number of occasions in which Russ stepped in and really did the full-time job of two people. He truly was our Superman of the night. When the wedding timeline got off track, Russ stepped in and helped my groom and me figure out quickly what we could cut so we could get things back on track, Russ was the one who reminded us to stop and kiss each other halfway out during the send-off (it will make for great pictures and our video, but I would have never thought of that if it wasn't for him!), and Russ even made the last few moments of our wedding extra special by sending everyone outside to prepare for the send-off while giving us an opportunity to have one last private dance together with one of our favorite songs - it was a beautiful, intimate moment for my husband and me, and something we won't ever forget.

The best test of whether or not someone is happy with their DJ is whether or not they would recommend them to a friend - I was so pleased with Russ that I recommended him to my friend, who also got married this summer, and her wedding was equally exceptional - Russ is consistent.

Best of all? He's got a caring heart, and it's clear to see he loves his job. I can't stress how important that is in a DJ - if your DJ is having fun, your guests will be too. He even follows up with my husband and me over text messages to check in and see how we're liking married life! Most vendors forget the couples who hired them after the wedding is over - we are just another number to them; but Russ treats all of his brides and grooms like new friends. What more could you want in a DJ?

I am so very confident that you will not be disappointed with Russ at the helm.

Sent on 08/03/2019
  • Jordan

Jordan · Married on 05/11/2019

Personable, Fun, Outgoing

DJ Russ was so fun to work with. After an initial phone conversation we met him and his lovely wife to go over everything about how he works and his setup. Closer to our wedding date we finalized everything with a very detailed worksheet that covered literally everything you could think of and then more. Russ kept the reception moving smoothly and kept the party going! Even with a mild technical snafu right before our first dance Russ acted quickly and smartly to get things back on track, with the added time filling help of our wedding guest serenading us with an acapella version of "We Will Rock You". The evening went great, and we were very happy with Russ.

Sent on 08/01/2019
    Squawkbox Sound 12
    Squawkbox Sound 13
    Squawkbox Sound 14
  • Lexi

Lexi · Married on 01/19/2019

Wedding & ceremony

He’s amazing at what he does. He is a good family friend! He not only was our DJ but also officiated our ceremony! 10/10 recommend him to everyone!

Sent on 04/12/2019

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Thank you so much Lexi! I’m so happy for you and Drew! To think that a few years ago, I did Connor’s wedding and now he has kids; a year ago, Amber was getting married, and now they were all a part of your day. My how your family has grown for the better. You deserve the best because you have such a giving heart. It was an honor to be past of your day. I love you guys. ❤️

Lauren · Married on 08/24/2018

Russ honestly made our wedding come together! He was very responsive and professional!! It was a huge relief on my wedding day to not worry about the music or the crowd!!

Sent on 09/07/2018

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Thank you so much Lauren! It was my pleasure to spend the day with you and your families. Plus, I got to speak Portuguese and play some MPB!

Angelica · Married on 08/11/2018

He is definitely an amazing dj he made sure everything was in order and even though I was runny late for the ceremony he helped us get right back on track and get everything done that we wanted to do! The biggest thing that I will cherish forever is at the end on the night he escorted everyone outside to get ready for our farewell and let us be alone inside for one last dance and alone time! I will always cherish that moment.

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Thank you Angelica! It was a joy to help you capture a few moments on your special day with Kevin. Your family was so supportive and energetic. We had a blast. You're welcome. It was the perfect way to end the night.

Kimberly · Married on 07/21/2018

Russ was so wonderful to work with!! He made to whole process so easy for us. He was very professional and timely with all of his appointments and day-of! He was so much fun to have at our wedding and he did an amazing job!

Sent on 09/07/2018

Camron · Married on 07/07/2018

Squawkbox Sound did a great job at our reception! The DJ was incredible and really provided a great environment for our reception! Our reception was an absolute blast!

Sent on 09/09/2018
    Squawkbox Sound 15
    Squawkbox Sound 16
  • MayAF

Amber · Married on 05/19/2018

We absolutely loved Russ with Squawkbox Sound! He made my event run smooth and my guests were enjoying themselves the entire night. It’s been almost 4 months since my wedding and my guests are still telling me how great of a time they had. He played a great variety of music, played entertaining games with the guests and truly made it a night to remember. He even came out and danced with everyone. Best DJ ever!

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

I was so happy to spend the day with you and Dylan. It's been a pleasure to watch you two grow up and start a life together. Thank you for the kind words.

Samantha · Married on 05/12/2018

Russ goes above and beyond to make sure your wedding goes as perfectly as you imagined. He goes the extra mile and interacts with the guests and plays games, teaches dances, and accepts song requests. I could have imagined anything more perfect for our wedding. Thanks so much Russ!!!

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

It was my pleasure, Samantha! You and Mike are stellar people and your twins are so cute. Thank you for letting me be a small part of your day. Give me a heads up next time you go to Mexico ;)

London · Married on 04/13/2018

I would highly recommended Russ. He was amazing. He did everything the way I wanted and was flexible and rolled with the problems that came up. I still get compliments on my dj and the music selection he came up with for my wedding. I can’t wait to have another event to book again.

Sent on 09/04/2018

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Awww... Thank you so much London! It was quite the day to remember. The chill in the air didn't stop us. You looked gorgeous and the ceremony went perfectly. Thank you for being so good to work with during the planning since I was an hour's drive away. You're the best!

Claudineia and TJ · Married on 03/30/2018

Russ was great, he was very professional and was able to create several special moments during our wedding. Neither my wife nor I had ever been married before so we didn't know what to expect or how to plan. Russ was very helpful in creating a timeline and flow for the entire wedding. Russ is highly recommended by my wife and I.

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Obrigado TJ! From the moment we met there was a connection, maybe it was because Néia is from Brazil? Maybe it was the pet names you have for each other. All I know is it was my honor to help you celebrate your love. Congrats on your little Sophia; she is adorable. I wish you a long and happy life together.
  • I

Ivy · Married on 01/11/2018

My wedding wouldn’t have been the same without Russ. He made everything about the entire night perfect and run smoothly.

Susanna · Married on 12/16/2017

Russ did my daughters wedding! He made the wedding! I can't say enough good about him! He was fantastic!

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Thank you Claire! Amanda and Cody are so lucky to have such supportive families. Even with the microburst we kept the party going! I am still in awe of Amanda's huge heart and desire to help those she doesn't know. They will do great things as a couple.

Simone · Married on 10/05/2017

I couldn’t have asked for a better Dj. Outgoing, interactive, friendly. Everyone had fun dancing especially when he danced with them. He has great experience also.

Sent on 10/18/2017

Mariah · Married on 09/13/2017

We feel incredibly blessed we got to work with Russ! He is down to earth, funny, integrious and a blast! Super up beat. Listened to what we wanted and knew where to throw in his own flavor. Russ is the man!

Sent on 12/10/2017

David · Married on 09/13/2017

Russ was the absolute BEST! We were completely blown away with the incredible service that he brought to the table. Far and above anything we expected when hiring a dj. Words can't praise enough the passion, heart and showmanship Russ contributes to the experience!

Sent on 12/14/2017

Derek · Married on 07/07/2017

Russ did an amazing job for our wedding! We couldn't have asked for anything better. He made sure that we stuck close to our schedule and always made sure that we had what we needed. He also was able to read the crowd well and suggest alterations to make it even better!

Squawkbox Sound 17

Amanda · Married on 06/24/2017

Russ is such a great DJ and MC! He made our wedding day stress-free. He helped keep us on our timeline and listened to all of our mannny questions and requests. He’s the best!

Squawkbox Sound 18

Amanda · Married on 05/05/2017

Russ is the best. He's super responsive and goes above and beyond to make sure his clients are happy. He will become a friend and someone that genuinely cares about you and your day. He was a great DJ for our wedding and you will not be disappointed with him.

Sent on 12/06/2017

Mallory · Married on 02/02/2017

It is best to have a list of songs or an idea of what ganrea of music you would like.

Squawkbox Sound's reply:

Thanks Mal! It was an honor to be a part of your and Joel's special day. You're families are so much fun and they made the venue look amazing! Any future FGL tickets I get, I will send your way ;)

Teri · Married on 01/02/2017

Don't go with anyone else! Russ is the best around and the music and lighting was perfect and made the whole evening.