SMERFEvents Lighting & Decor Rentals Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2015 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner
    Niiyo N. Married on 08/21/2021

So easy to work with!

SMERF Events recently provided lighting for a wedding I coordinated at the Rock Creek Mansion in Bethesda, MD. Calvin and the team were great to work with! If you've ever coordinated a wedding, you certainly know how difficult it can be to find the right vendors :-) . The lights were pre-set to the desired color scheme, not one detail was missed. I would recommend SMERF Events over and over again.

SMERFEvents Lighting & Decor Rentals's reply:

Thank you Niiyo! You were such a pleasure to work with as well. We look forward to working with you again soon.
    Laura Married on 10/14/2017
    I coordinated my brother's wedding and I contacted SMERF less than a week before the event. Calvin was helpful and very accommodating. I highly recommend using them for your next event.
    Stefanie Married on 07/16/2017
    Smerf did an excellent job for our elegant museum wedding. They provided uplighting for our space and did not try to oversell us products we did not need or want. Working with them was totally seamless from start to finish, and they are VERY reasonably priced compared with the competition.
    Shardonia Married on 03/19/2016
    I contacted SMERFEvents a month before my wedding for ceremony backdrop draping and lighting for ceremony and reception rooms at my wedding venue. The owner was great to work with. We exchanged several emails regarding what I needed and my vision for my wedding. I was starting to get a little overwhelmed given that it was getting close to my wedding and he was very patient and accommodating as I made decisions and adjustments through the process. The ceremony backdrop draping and the lighting was absolutely amazing!! Both rooms were exactly what I envisioned. My fiancé and I could not have been happier with the ambiance that was provided with the backdrop and the lighting. The lighting really enhanced my ceremony and reception rooms. I would definitely use SMERFEvents for any future events. It was great working with a company that not only provided excellent customer service but exemplary work.
  • F
    Fred Married on 02/27/2016
    Calvin Mata, the owner, made it simple and easy to do business with SMERF. Their lighting added an elegant touch to my daughter's wedding reception. I would highly recommend them to anyone in the market for event lighting.
    Charles Married on 10/24/2015
    Seamless Service and great customer service. Will definitely use Smerf again and again.

Charles King
    Event Planner
    H.l. Married on 10/10/2015
    CHOOSE THIS VENDOR! SMERF Events recently did my wedding at the Dupont Circle Hotel in downtown Washington, D.C., and almost two weeks later the comments about how glamorous and classy the event looked still make me smile. Guests have been posting photos on Facebook and the posts have gotten many likes based on the job by SMERF Events. They were reasonably priced, on time, professional, and most of all a pleasure to work with. From my initial order and through any tweaks we had for our special day, they were the most accommodating of any of the vendors we had to work with that day. Best of all, they were seen but not seen. During the 6 hour event, the technician was working but behind the scenes allowing for guests to have a wonderful time, take photos and marvel in the backdrop of the lighting artistry. I would highly recommend this vendor and use them again in a heartbeat! Many, many thanks to SMERF Events for making my wedding something like a red carpet event.
    Avery Married on 05/30/2015
    We spent less than 10 minutes talking on the phone to reserve lights for our wedding. They showed and installed blue LED lights on our wedding day and normal meeting hall became a heck of lot more elegant.
    Stephany Married on 05/22/2015
    FANTASTIC!!!

I had the best experience working with SmerfEvents for our decor needs for our wedding this past May, 2015 in Washington, DC. We held our ceremony and reception at the Daughter's of the American Revolution and SmerfEvents decor lit up the outdoor Portico of the Venue! Our guests loved the lit up tables and furniture, creating an incredible lounge-like ambiance with table service amidst our reception.

From start to finish SmerfEvents was a dream to work with! Very fast and easy correspondence, worked with our budget needs and was highly knowable! We are grateful for their services and would recommended them again and again for everyone's corporate, personal and family event rental needs!
    Mitch Married on 04/04/2015
    Had my wedding this past Saturday and SMERFEVENTS really made a difference with the look of our venue. Lighting and furniture really added the extra touch that I was looking for in our decor. I would highly recommend their professional services and their pricing was better than anyone out here!

Teresa Married on 11/15/2014
    I HIGHLY recommend SMERFEvents!!! I have worked with them on two events this year, that's all it took for me to say: They will be my lighting/décor company for any event I plan in the DC Area. They provide the best pricing -- no question about it. They're easy to work with and will ensure your event is a resound success. Thank YOU, SMERFEvents for helping me shine during the wedding I planned this past weekend. We became partners for life...thank you!
    Melisa Married on 10/18/2014
    My husband and I had contemplated whether or not to get uplighting for our wedding and I am so glad we decided to move forward with the lighting! Our venue recommended contacting Calvin with SMERFEvents and from the moment I contacted them they were very responsive and professional. The uplighting definitely added the ambience we were looking for. We would without a doubt recommend SMERFEvents to all of our friends and family!
    David Married on 10/04/2014
    They were prompt and on top of their items. They provided an additional 5 lights which really made a difference to the ambiance to our wedding. Couldn't have asked for a better vendor for the lighting and have already recommended them to several other friends who are planning for a wedding.
    Jennifer Married on 10/04/2014
    I contacted SMERFEvents for lighting and drape services for my wedding and I'm glad I did. Their prices were fair and Calvin worked with me in making sure I received what I envisioned for the look/feel of the ballroom. Everything turned out great and he worked well with my month-of coordinator in delivery, set-up and pick-up. I would definitely recommend them to future brides and grooms (or any special occasion)!
    Manuel Married on 09/28/2014
    SMERF rocks! Working with Calvin was a real joy from day one. He was friendly and personable, never pushy or impatient, and always took the time to explain the options, make sure we were on the same page, and get it all right. His prices were extremely fair, on the on the day of, the furniture and lighting looked great and fit the space perfectly. It was delivered on time with a smile, set up quickly, and he even helped us make important last second decisions about placement, style, lighting, and just generally getting the vibe of the room right. At the end of the event when all of our guests were lingering outside, Calvin and SMERF patiently waited out front so as not to intrude or jump the gun, even waiting 15 minutes after our rental time had technically expired for fear of getting in the way!

Our uplighting was just right setting the perfect mood. The benches and ottomans were clean, comfortable and elegant, and the cocktail tables added the perfect touch to the gallery space we rented. Really just a nice set of pieces, and for an affordable price, with dependable, right on time delivery and pick up.

Calvin has tons of experience in the hospitality industry and it shows. A true gentlemen with a knack for making his customers feel confident and at ease, I must say it was a real pleasure to work with him, and I would certainly do it again! Big recommendation to a truly deserving company.

cheers to SMERF Events!
    Artisha Married on 04/26/2014
    Thanks so much for everything, SmerfEvents is amazing and we are so glad that you were available for our wedding reception! The lighting totally transformed our room and my husband and I are one hundred percent satisfied and will definitely utilize your services if we have future events....thanks so much again for everything!

Artisha
    Jessica Married on 03/29/2014
    The wedding and reception was lovely, exactly as we'd hoped. The team did a great job with delivery and pick up. The lounge furniture was just perfect for our venue. It looked great and was just right!

Thank you so much!

Jessica
  • User1425804 2+ years ago
    Absolutely awesome! The uplights were great, and I absolutely recommend the furniture rentals- totally worth the money (and not even that expensive!)
  • User1332051 2+ years ago
    Responsive and didn't need following up. Just great to work with.

Corina
    L Married on 09/07/2013
    Calvin did a great job with our uplighting. He was very flexible with my changes from purple to amber uplighting, and even threw in some freebies. I would recommend him to any bride on a budget who still wants excellent customer service and value.
    Gloria Married on 08/10/2013
    Calvin was such a great planner to work with. Thank you so much for making my wedding day as beautiful as can be with your LED up lighting and lounge furniture!
  • User1198688 2+ years ago
    Thanks Calvin! Loved your punctuality, professionalism and most of all the ambiance you set with your lighting and furniture.
    Mellisa Married on 04/20/2013
    You guys were wonderful this past weekend. Thank you so much for making my venue look beautiful with your up lighting and lounge furniture! I will definitely recommend you to my friends who are also getting married later this year. Thanks again!

Mellisa
    Molly Married on 03/09/2013
    SMERFEVENTS rock! You made my client's wedding a really special day. I will definitely recommend you for all of your quality products and superb service. Thanks again!

Molly Wedding Planner
    Ashley Married on 02/03/2017
    SMERFEvents provided the pin spot lighting and the uplighting for my wedding. They did a wonderful job! The only reason why I took away a half star for quality of service is because my uplighting was not really the color I thought it would be. I think you can go to their warehouse to check out their uplighting colors, so if you are picky about the specific color I recommend doing that. I unfortunately, was not able to go before my wedding so that is probably why the lighting I received was not exactly what i wanted. However, the uplighting still went very well in our venue and I am sure it will look lovely in photos. SMERFEvents is a really great option for lighting on a budget. I reached out to a number of vendors for pinspot lighting and uplighting and some vendors basically told me they wouldn't take me as a client unless I spent a minimum of $2000-$3000, which means I would've had to add things I did not want to meet their price minimums. Also, some vendors didn't respond to my requests at all (not sure why), but Calvin was incredibly responsive and allowed me to pick exactly what I wanted a la carte! I am really glad I found out about SMERFEvents and I recommend hiring them for lighting (they also do decor and more!).

SMERFEvents Lighting & Decor Rentals's reply:

Thanks Ashley. We take great pride in our work and reviews, as you can see its all 5 stars from here.

I apologize you did not get the light color you expected, but it was the light color i sent you a picture of that you liked and ordered.

Best wishes,