Shutters on the Beach Reviews

36 | Santa Monica, CA

36 Reviews for Shutters on the Beach

Samantha · Married on 10/22/2016

We did both our ceremony and reception at Shutters and it was perfect! We wanted to do our wedding at the beach, and Shutters provided the perfect backdrop. Liz and her team are so easy to work with and very accommodating! From the initial meeting, to the walk throughs to the tasting to the big day and so much more, they made all of our guests feel welcome. I have always loved Shutters and now it holds a special place in my husband and my hearts and we know it is a place we can always visit to reminisce about the best day of our life! The team at Shutters is genuine and kind and work with you to make sure your dream day comes true, and they did just that. The event spaces are exceptionally beautiful and they worked efficiently with our vendors to transform the spaces into the perfect wedding backdrops. Thank you Shutters team!

Sent on 11/16/2016
  • feralhooper

Rachel · Married on 08/12/2016

BALLROOM ON THE BEACH!
    Dream Come True!

My then-fiancé and I were getting desperate to find a reasonable yet classy venue near a beach in LA area. It had been months of researching venues online, scheduling walkthroughs, and then coming home disappointed and looking for more leads. Finally one night, I gave my now-husband my ideal venue description (thinking it would never happen anyway): I told him I had always dreamed of getting married with a perfect ocean view as the sun goes down (obviously without random beach-goers in the viewable background or god forbid walking through our wedding with their dogs, volleyballs or frisbees, because most beaches are public and they can do all that freely) AND I wanted a terrace overlooking the ocean AND a ballroom all in the same venue. If this is your dream too, look no further!!!

Shutters is simply the best. I know a lot of reviewers say that because they remember their wedding fondly, but we HUNTED for this venue and we knocked down a lot of similar venues along the way. For the price, location, service, and the amazing catering, you will get no better! The catering was exquisite, the service was attentive and friendly (not stuck-up at all). There were no ridiculous hidden charges like so many other venues bill after the wedding.

THEY LET ME DECORATE MY OWN WEDDING!! For those who don't know, most upscale venues will make a fuss about hiring vendors for EVERYTHING. Shutters understands that not every couple wants fresh flowers or rented decor. Being the picky bride that I am, I custom-made all my own elaborate and fragile centerpieces and decor and the Shutters staff happily set it all up with a little written direction! AMAZING!!!

The cherry on top: They pampered us by leaving chilled Champagne, sweets, and other goodies in the bridal suite when we retreated after the reception. And the night was on them. Bliss!

GET MARRIED AT SHUTTERS! And tell Bruce and Kristie Sam and Rachel Schaffel say "hi!"

Sent on 12/06/2016

Katherine · Married on 08/05/2016

FANTASTIC and magical place. We were married at Shutters on August 5, 2016. Everything was PERFECT! We had the BEST coordinators, Lee-Andra and Bruce are truly phenomenal to work with. They seriously went above and beyond to make sure our wedding was spectacular in every way!! The food is AMAZING and the setting can not be beat. Shutters is the most romantic and beautiful place for a beach wedding.

Sent on 08/17/2016

Jewell · Married on 05/18/2016

Absolutely fantastic to work with as well as they provided a fabulous venue for wedding and reception. The best. Food, service were top notch! I am a chef. They were fantastic!

Sent on 05/25/2016

Shutters on the Beach's reply:

Thank you so much Jewell!! We really loved getting to know you and Deb and cant thank you enough for celebrating your love at Shutters on the Beach!
    Please come back soon! Congratulations to you both! Cheers to a lifetime of love! - Krystal and Team

Shutters was the perfect venue to host my wedding last month. My husband and I live in Orange County and only checked this one venue in LA among the several others we scoped out in OC and it was love at first site when we saw the hotel, ceremony site, and ball room. Liz is the events manager that was working with us and she helped me every step of the way from the first meeting to the wedding day, and several dozen emails and phone calls in between. She and her team are extremely accomodating and went out of their way to make the ceremony and reception come to life just as I had imagined. The venue is gorgeous, the staff is amazing, and the day was perfect. I highly recommend Shutters to any bride!

Sent on 06/04/2012

Marianna · Married on 03/06/2011

We couldn't be happier to have had our wedding at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica, CA.
    This hotel is the perfect place for an intimate, warm, and beautiful wedding celebration!
    The food and service deserves more than 5 stars!!!
    I worked with one of the catering managers onsite and he was wonderful, easy, responsive, and efficient!
    Our ceremony was on the beach and reception was in the grand ballroom.
    They made our day beyond memorable, it was amazing!!!

Sent on 03/21/2011

denise · Married on 01/07/2011

We could not be happier with the way our wedding turned out at Shutters, Toby Lent did a tremendous job. Our guests were thrilled with the great service and smoothness of the event. The food was delicious, the entire hotel staff was fantastic - they handled things before I even had to ask. We held two brunches at Coast and they were equally as accommodating. The suite is beautiful, staying before and after is a must.
    Unlike most other hotels, it is nice having a per person cost so you are not surprised by the grand total. It is expensive, but worth it.
    Only improvement would be offering Susie Cakes as an option (its served at the restaurant but not a package option). THANK YOU TOBY !!!

Sent on 01/13/2011

Heather · Married on 11/13/2010

Shutters on the Beach was extremely professional and attentive to everything I needed for my wedding. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and my wedding there was breath taking. The staff was kind and very courteous I was so pleased at all their hard work. Michael Kossart is one of the best!

Sent on 11/24/2010

Billy · Married on 10/01/2010

Our wedding day went exactly as planned. Couldnt have asked for a better venue, better day, better location. Everything was perfect!

Sent on 11/19/2010

Robyn · Married on 09/18/2010

Everything was beautiful and Shutters on the Beach is extraordinarily perfect for a small wedding of 1-50 people. They recommended excellent vendors and provided true value at every turn. Michael Kossart, the catering manager is very fair, kind, professional and wonderful to work with. He made the entire event fun and effortless to plan.

Armando, the banquet manager, perfectly executed my every wish during the event and is also very kind and professional.

It was undoubtedly our dream wedding and many guests have commented that it was a flawless evening!

Sent on 09/20/2010

Becky · Married on 07/24/2010

Our reception venue had to be changed at the last minute, after the invitations had already been sent. We contacted Shutters and amazingly, there was a room available for our reception. Toby Lent was our contact at Shutters and we could not have been happier to meet him and work with him. The location was perfect, the food was amazing and the day was beautiful!

Sent on 08/09/2011

Brandy · Married on 07/11/2010

I knew Shutters would be my venue as soon as I walked in. It was exactly what I had envisioned for my intimate beach wedding... simple yet elegant. Michael, the catering sales manager, and his staff were excellent to work with! He always responded promptly to emails and phone calls, and provided access to the venue whenever my planner and I needed to see it. Everything was done as agreed upon. The service provided by the catering staff was outstanding! I was looking for a package deal (food, drinks, cake, ceremony and reception site) and felt that the service and quality matched the price. It even included an oceanfront room for the wedding night. I highly recommend this venue!

Sent on 01/27/2011

Brenna · Married on 05/29/2010

Michael is extremely helpful and flexible. People raved about the tray passed appetizers. Did ceremony at church, so used pool deck for cocktail hour. Beautiful.

Sent on 06/14/2010

David · Married on 04/17/2010

Shutters made our dream wedding come true!

Sent on 04/21/2010

Stacy · Married on 11/27/2009

We had a small wedding and went to Shutters following the ceremony for dinner. They seated our entire party of 9 at the same table infront of the fireplace. The setting was formal and warm and I did not feel out of place in my wedding dress. The food was lovely and everyone had a great time. They also gave my husband and I each a glass of champagne on the house.

Sent on 12/18/2009

Mary · Married on 10/18/2009

The location is lovely - they have a terrace overlooking the ocean where the ceremony can be held. The rest of the hotel is beautiful and Michael Kossart, one of the events coordinators there, was especially attentive and fun to work with.

Sent on 11/03/2009
  • O

Ericka · Married on 10/11/2009

Everything was perfect! The team at Shutters made sure the day was exactly as we had hoped. We wouldn't have changed a thing.

Sent on 10/19/2009

Stacy · Married on 10/10/2009

Excellent service and professionalism but still felt like I was able to talk with Michael (the catering manager) about my ideas and feel heard. Michael was very responsive in handling requests and e-mails. Shutters on the Beach is a beautiful place and everyone said that our wedding was like a fairy-tale, much credit to the venue I think.

Sent on 10/20/2009

Greg · Married on 09/19/2009

The experience was amazing. We did a surprise wedding, so anything could have happened, but Michael and his staff made everything work perfectly. The venue and atmosphere was as great as we hoped it would be. Thank you for making it a special day and for pulling off the surprise! Greg & Mariko

Sent on 10/20/2009

Erin · Married on 04/07/2007

Shutters on the Beach is a wonderful venue . . . beautiful view of the ocean, close to many hotels for guests to stay in, attentive staff . . . just make sure to book at least a year in advance because times to get married fill up fast!

Sent on 05/20/2008

Christine · Married on 08/08/2009

Shutters was high class all the way. Th catering manager was easy to work with, answering questions promptly. The venue is itself is stunning - views of the ocean and a gorgeous ballroom

Sent on 09/08/2009

Nikki · Married on 06/02/2012

Shutters on the Beach was an amazing and beautiful place for our beach wedding and reception. We had our ceremony on the beach and then had our reception in the Oceanside/Beachside rooms. The rooms are beautiful with beach front views. We looked at a lot of places and this was by far the best location for an intimate wedding like ours (we had about 30 guests). It may seem pricey per person, but keep in mind that the price includes the ceremony on the beach with chairs, the reception rooms (1 for cocktail hour, adjoining room for the reception), dinner service with 2 entree choices (the food was amazing- especially the halibut), choice of 6 passed hors d'oeuvres, 5 hour premium open bar, cake from a choice of 4 vendors (we went with Vanilla Bake Shop- so amazing!), valet, and an oceanfront suite for the bride and groom the night of the wedding. Simply amazing! Oh, and Toby Lent is awesome! I would highly recommend Shutters on the Beach for any bride who wants an elegant and beautiful beach wedding.

Sent on 06/29/2012

Therese · Married on 05/15/2010

We had both our ceremony and reception at Shutters and have no complaints. Zero. The Catering Manager, Michael, was thorough and professional from the day I met him to the wedding day. He was punctual at all meetings, great with correspondence, and answered my many, many, many questions. On the day of the wedding he was standing by making sure everything ran smoothly. Yes, it is a pricey venue but very well worth it. The food was delicious and guests told me it was the best wedding food they'd ever had, which was wonderful to hear because I'm a complete foodie. Shutters also gave us a gorgeous suite the night of our wedding, which was decorated quite nicely with candlelight and plates of food after we returned from the reception. A very nice touch and definitely set the mood for a romantic evening. Their flat-rate price does include taxes, gratuity, cake, open bar, etc. which actually added up to being less expensive than other venues we researched. They did give our guests a block of rooms at a less expensive rate on room rentals. I have nothing but good things to say about Shutters and Michael!

Sent on 12/09/2010

G · Married on 04/24/2010

Michael Kossart at Shutters was fantastic. From beginning to end, he helped make our wedding a very special day. We would recommend our Shutters experience to anyone.

Sent on 04/29/2010

Michael · Married on 03/13/2010

Shutters is an amazing venue. Everyone associated with property and our event did a great job. Everything went off without a hitch. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. If you're willing to spend the money, I'd highly recommend getting married there.

Sent on 03/19/2010