Shirley's Catering Reviews

27 | Burke, VA

27 Reviews for Shirley's Catering

27 Shirley's Catering Reviews

Shelby · Married on 09/15/2018

Ae used Shirley’s at our rehearsal dinner, and the food was spectacular to say the least. All of our guests were very impressed and kept raving about how great the food was, and where we had gotten it from. They were able to customize a dessert that wasn’t on their menu we really wanted to have. Thank you so much again ladies! We will most certainly be using no one else for our any and all of our catering needs.

Steven · Married on 06/18/2017

Shirley and her stellar team catered our daughter's recent wedding and did a phenomenal job. From the initial food tasting through the end of the reception she and her team were exceptionally professional, responsive and focused on providing the best possible customer service - they succeeded! If you want absolutely delicious food at a reasonable cost and work with a top-notch team look no further than Shirley's Catering. We were so pleased with how Shirley delivered for our daughter's wedding, we intend to reach out to her again for special events in the future.

Lauren · Married on 06/02/2017

Highly recommend Shirley's Catering! From the tasting to the wedding, everything was perfect! Shirley herself was at our tasting getting our opinion on the food and offering suggestions. All the staff was very responsive whenever I needed to contact them. At our wedding, Shirley personally attended to tables to make sure everyone was happy with the food. All our guests raved about the food. I even have a friend who is now trying to recreate Shirley's fig chutney salmon because it was that good! I also highly recommend the watermelon rosemary water!

Sent on 06/09/2017

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Hi Nathan and Lauren, Thank you so much! You and your whole family were a pleasure to work with and so much enjoyed your mother and father. Wishing you the best of life, happiness and health! Tell your mom I iwll give her my recipe for the pear chutney. Sincerely, Shirley & Staff

Caitlin · Married on 06/01/2017

Shirley's Catering is incredible. Everyone I spoke to there was extremely kind and accommodating. My husband and I were worried about budgeting and Shirley's Catering offered their advice and were extremely helpful. Shirley came to scout the venue and was there wedding day. She and Tamika helped facilitate the reception. I was blown away by everyone's kindness and how helpful they all were. And the food is to die for! I tried every dish that they provided for the buffet and their passed appetizers. Everything was excellent. I would have kept eating all night if I didn't have to run around to socialize. Shirley's Catering will provide service that both you and your guests will enjoy and praise for years to come!

Sent on 06/14/2017

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Caitlin, What a wonderful review! Thank you so very much. It was a pleasure working with you also. Shirley and Crew

Kacie · Married on 10/22/2016

Shirley was so easy to work with. We were able to choose the perfect mix of food for our appetizers, dinner and desserts. The pumpkin Brie dip is to die for!

Sent on 01/21/2017

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Hi Kacie, It was a pleasure working with you to help you celebrate your wedding day. Long Branch Plantation is beauitful and you had wonderful weather that day to be outside for most of your event. Thank you, Shirley and Staff

Chris · Married on 10/01/2016

There is not enough I can say about Shirley and her team. I was astonished at her professionalism, her team, her taste, and most important, her FOOD! Everything was amazing. It was so hard for me to conceive how hard it was to throw a wedding on a farm, and now that I see how Shirley and her team do it I am even more amazed. She brought an incredible team, with more people than I could keep track of. She took care of decorating, ordering and organizing tent, food, Bartenders, servers, cleanup, etc.

In addition to that Shirley did her best to help us on our budget. Not one of our guests could tell it, but we cut THOUSANDS out of our wedding thanks to Shirley's advice.

She is truly a professional and we could not be happier. At every instance she went above and beyond. When we hired her we only expected a caterer. Boy were we wrong. She helped us find bathrooms, a tent and table rental company, a transportation company, and other things I can't even recall. As a couple from New York having a wedding in northern Virginia, we cannot imagine our wedding without the assistance of Shirley and her team. We now consider Shirley family and we would recommend her to every potential couple.

Sent on 10/09/2016

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Hi Chris and Danielle, What a glorious site for your reception. You and your extended families were a delight and we much appreciated working wiht you. We wish you the best of Life, Happiness and Health! Stay in touch on your next visit . Sincerely, Shirley and Staff

Maren · Married on 09/26/2015

From the very beginning, my husband and I enjoyed working with Shirley and Meredith. Choosing a caterer was one of the biggest and most difficult decisions in planning our wedding, and we found Shirley's company to be a perfect fit. They were consistently accommodating, by allowing my mom to join in on the initial tasting, by finding ways to help us afford the rentals we were also getting through them, and by simply being available for texting and late evening visits. All our guests were so happy with the quality of the buffet food, and Shirley's team always made sure we were getting the chance to eat during the event!

Sent on 12/20/2015

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Hi Maren, Thank you and a special thanks to your parents!! I really enjoyed them. Silverbrook Farm is such a beautiful place to have had your wedding. All th elittle details you and Meredith worked on to make it look so you! Sincerely, Shirley and Staff

The food was awesome. We hardly had any left overs.

Charles · Married on 12/06/2014

Shirley is a most professional caterer. On time, helpful with creating a menu in our budget, and then delivering food that is fresh, hot, and delicious. Her serving staff is always a pleasure to work with; friendly, prompt, clean, and courteous. We have always looked forward to having Shirley be a part of our events.

Caroline · Married on 05/24/2014

Shirley was wonderful! Everyone raved about her food, and she was great to work with- helped me to find a suitable menu that matched the theme for the evening, and also my budget! Highly recommend!

l · Married on 09/20/2013

My daughter got married one week ago (9/20/13). We worked with Bev from Shirley's Catering and she was absolutely wonderful. I told her she was "my heaven sent angel". Everything had to be brought into the venue (Tables,chairs,dance floor,...absolutely everything) and we had a two hour set up window. Bev oversaw that and all was perfect! The dishes we selected were wonderful and she even made cupcakes from my recipe as the bride has food allergies. Her staff was wonderful as well! She kept in touch with me leading up to the wedding and settled me down when I started stressing. Absolute perfection!

L. · Married on 05/31/2013

Shirley's Catering is a local treasure, having served the Northern Virginia Community for many years. Shirley has catered a number of family events for us, most recently the rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception for my oldest son. Her staff are well trained and love their work - and it shows. The food was beautifully presented and our guests went out of their way to tell me how much they enjoyed it. It was truly 5-star dining. Beyond the food, Shirley has a magic touch with the ambience and decor. From every fresh flower and grapevine woven around the cheese display to the uplit feathers for that Gatsby look around the bar, we could not have asked for more. The whole family, including our new daughter in law and her parents, friends and extended family, were thrilled with the whole event.

My husband and I are surprisingly happy with their service because we had demands that they're did not expect them to meet at our price.
    Our hats off to Merideth in particular who sheparded our catering planning and execution. She has an amazing positive and willingness to accommodate-type attitude. While my husband and I were learning the enormity of planning a wedding let alone hiring a caterer Merideth and the owner patiently waited for us to learn and evolved while we examined other estimates, they hosted several tastings and most amazing is that they allowed us to make changes to their packages to meet our cultural and cost savings needs. Their performance at the event was top drawer. They set up the entire venu, plus coordinated all other contractors that we used finally, they brokedown the event wnsuring the enue lication was cleaned and acceptable so that we received our venu rental deposit. The food was hot, hot and fresh. We sti receive positive comments about how good the food tasted. Diced sautéed sweet potatoes, prime rib and our wing bar was the big hit.
    Use Shirley's if you want elegance and personal service. They eleviated a lot of stress for us.

Sarah · Married on 10/02/2011

When I was having difficulty finding a caterer in the same area as my wedding reception that would do a heavy refreshment option, and was tired of caterers trying to push so many additional unnecessary services and costs on me, I Googled until I happily stumbled across Shirley's Catering in Burke. Burke may seem far from Fredericksburg, but they have a very, very reasonable delivery fee. Since we were having an early afternoon wedding, we were looking for more of a luncheon/afternoon tea/picnic type of meal. Shirley's has an extensive sandwich and salad list, in addition to the full service meals they can provide. I was pleasantly surprised when I spoke with Debra when she said that Shirley's would have no problem catering our small wedding and gave my husband I remarkable service even though we weren't having a 250 guest wedding. A customer is a customer in their eyes, and we were treated with exceptional service. I was hesitant at first to request a "tasting" since we were having just sandwiches, but Debra agreed with me that we still should taste the quality of food and welcomed us to come by to taste the menu we were considering. Admittedly, we were worried that the sandwiches might be glorified deli meat ones, but no....these sandwiches were gourmet quality. Debra had also provided us with full samples of other salad and sandwich options to consider in addition to our initial choices, which was great (their chicken salad sandwich is to die for). During that time, we were able to ask questions about other events they have catered, and given the broad spectrum of events (and crazy/quirky requests) they have catered in the past, it was proof to me that pleasing their customers was a big priority. With that tasting, we knew we had our caterer. Following the tasting, the customer service continued. Debra was always accessible by phone and email, and she was very accommodating, never every pushy, and she kept my stress level low. I wish I had a business that needed event catering frequently because I would love more reasons to use Shirley's Catering again.

Cyndy · Married on 09/09/2011

I have been using Shirley's Catering for probably 20 years. I stumbled on to her when we began hosting holiday parties for my husband's company where we would have over 300 guests. She would consistently come in less expensive than any other cartering company and her food was every bit as delicious as the better known, higher priced caterers. She has helped us with large and small parties, black tie and barbecues and everything in between. She is reasonably priced, her service is impeccable and you always receive exactly what you wanted. The great thing about Shirley that some other catering companies won't allow is you can supplement the menu. Some caterers only want their food at the event - their reasoning being any food at the event will be assumed to have come from that caterer. But if I am having guests, I only want to serve them delicious food whether Shirley's makes it or I do. This is a great feature! For my daughters wedding, my husband makes a filet tenderloin that is to die for. Instead of having Shirley prepare it, we grilled 5 of them and brought it to the reception and Shirley's staff cut it up and had it beautifully displayed but the time we arrived.

Virginia · Married on 06/19/2011

We loved Shirley's catering! Everything was completely tasty and beautifully put together and the servers were very nice. They were also ok with us changing things around at the last minute. Thanks very much!

Keith · Married on 03/08/2011

My wife and I were so impressed with the service we received from Gail. The food was excellent, but the presence and warm spirit of Gail made our experience extra special. It was a birthday surprise for my wife, last minute planned and I couldn't have been more pleased. I highly recommend her service and I will be a repeat customer in the near future!

Sent on 04/25/2017

Shirley's Catering's reply:

Thank you so much for the great review! It was our pleasure and we look forward to working with you in the future. Shirley and Staff

Michele · Married on 11/14/2009

I found Shirley's via my pastry chef. I was looking for someone who would provide a reasonably priced, high quality seated dinner. I got a lot more than this. The coordinator I worked with went the extra mile consistently - from perservering a venue switch (eg two walk throughs), finding hard-to-get table linens, to buying balloons at the last minute when the balloons I ordered didn't show up, to going through several iterations of the menu and seating charts. She always looked for ways to reduce costs, but keep the event a success. We had more than 20 children, some with gluten issues, and she organized special meals for them. Regarding the quality of the food, my aunt and uncle are heads of an international society for food service. They said that the food was four star quality - especially considering that everything was prepared off site and transferred to the venue. The servers were also friendly and several people commented on how much they liked the staff. I can not say enough about Shirley's. We liked them so much, we hired them to cater the rehearsal dinner and are now using them for a big Christmas party. Shirley's proves that you can have a tasteful and tasty event without being gouged in the pocket book.

Julie · Married on 10/23/2009

Shirley's Catering was top notch. EVERYONE raved about the food and the outstanding service.

Jamie · event on: 10/20/2012

Shirley did an amazing job!! Everything was beautiful and well thought out right down to the smallest of details. Loved the food and the decor!

Jenn · Married on 07/26/2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE - The food was awesome, great wine and beer selection, Sangria was devine. The staff excellent. It was a blast will use these guys again for sure.

excellent customer service and food preparation.

Rebecca · Married on 09/30/2011

We knew we wanted to book with Shirley as soon as we tasted her food. Everything was so good! On the day of, her staff was fabulous and professional. The only reason for not all 5 stars is they were very stingy with the food. Quite a few guests commented that they only received two asparagus, and when they asked for more (it was a buffet with servers) the server said no!! Not a huge deal, but somewhat odd. Otherwise everything was great and we were glad we worked with them.

Susan · Married on 10/07/2017

3.4
      2.0
      3.0
      2.0

Shirley's was great to work with in the planning stages (always a quick response to any questions we had), and the food was good, but the staff at the reception was a little unprofessional and did not seem overly enthused about working. The items that were supposed to be passed among guests were not passed nearly long enough (which is why we took home tons of leftovers of these items), the bartender had to be told how to mix one of the signature cocktails we had chosen, they served the cake by flopping each piece onto the plate with their hands, and the food on the buffet table very quickly got that "picked through" look because no attempt was made to condense and consolidate as items were taken.