Saltbox Farm & Kitchen Reviews

Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 5
Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 6
Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 7

carole · Married on 11/15/2018

My daughter’s wedding last July 14th filled me with happiness and kept me awake at night with anxiety. I enjoy cooking and feeding people well. I am also sensitive to how food is presented . From the moment I was introduced to Saltbox Farm’s catering manager my anxiety started to fade. Her professionalism and confidence reassured me, but still I had no idea if this was going to come off the way she said it would. All I can say is, it did! The appetizers, the lunch, the wine choices got rave reviews from guests of all ages and parts of the country. The presentation was elegant and appealing and the catering staff could not have been nicer. Friendly efficient enjoyable and fun.
    I can’t recommend Saltbox Farm highly enough. I can only express my gratitude to them for making an important day a perfect memory.
    Carole Chanler

Sent on 09/27/2018

Sophia · Married on 11/03/2018

Highly recommend Saltbox Kitchen

We very highly recommend working with Saltbox Kitchen. We feel so lucky to have chosen them for our wedding! The food was creative, delicious, and beautiful. Many guests complimented the meal and also how it was served - family style! The catering staff was all extremely nice, hard-working, and professional. They did a fantastic job serving our 155 guests!

In addition to the incredible food, working with Saltbox Kitchen made our entire wedding more special. We absolutely loved working with Megan Hawkes, the Catering Manager. We could not have imagined someone doing a better job. She was hard-working, extremely organized, thoughtful, so caring, and creative. From the planning process to the many day-of details, Megan helped us enormously. Megan has a fantastic aesthetic vision for how to make a venue look festive and beautiful. We got married in a simple space with white walls, but, because of her help, it looked amazing. She also made herself extremely available to help us - from meeting with us for as long as needed to quickly following up about our many questions. Megan went completely above and beyond what we expected from a catering company. We are extremely grateful to her!

Sent on 11/12/2018

Nina · Married on 09/08/2018

I cannot speak highly enough about the team at Saltbox. We discovered them at our friend's wedding- and remembered it being the only memorable wedding food we had had. When we found a venue we weren't thrilled with the local options- the vendors we had reached out to were stuffy and vague about pricing.

We got married on Saranac Lake in upstate New York, so weren't sure what the response would be when we asked Saltbox about their availability and willingness to travel. From the beginning, Megan was transparent about the costs associated with bringing here the team 5 hours away and about the pricing in general- which was much appreciated.

We went for a tasting up at the farmhouse. Chef Ben had a meal ready for us based on the initial menu he had developed and the time of year of the wedding. We used that as a starting point to design a menu together- a collaborative and creative experience. Megan, who was our main point person throughout diligent about coordinating with our wedding planner to make sure the process went smoothly and efficiently.

When it came to the day of the wedding- the food was just amazing. Fresh ingredients, vibrant flavors. Our guests were blown away. I actually made a point to eat the ever elusive wedding night dinner. The staff was all so lovely and they really helped us create a special experience for our friends and family. We were and still are totally thrilled.

Sent on 09/25/2018
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 12
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 13

Katie Joumas · Married on 08/04/2018

Saltbox is the Very Best

We cannot speak highly enough about Saltbox. Everything was outstanding!

Food: From the cocktail hour spread, to fresh salad, 3 seasonal entrée options to the brunch buffet the following morning; everything was both flavorful and elegant. We had over 200 guests at our backyard wedding on a hot summer weekend, but every detail was perfect.

Many of our guests reached out to us to ask about our caterers because they said it was the best wedding food they ever had! (Of course we thought so too, but we were biased).

Drinks: We had a signature drink that was so popular, we ran out of gin. We had two Saltbox Brewery beers on tap that people loved. The following morning we had a beautiful bloody Mary bar.

The Team: It was a pleasure working with Ben and Megan. Everything was coordinated and seamless; how they managed to serve over 200 people at the exact same time with no mistakes…I have no idea. (They are also wonderful at accommodating food allergies, intolerances, preferences etc). The entire staff was professional and energetic.

Our tasting: One of the best parts of wedding planning. We went to dinner at Saltbox Farm and had the opportunity to sample our cocktail hour food, entrees and brunch food. Ben and Megan were interested in our feedback and everything was so personalized; it wasn’t as if we had a few options to select from a list.

Saltbox is an extremely talented, high quality farm to table caterer. If that’s what you’re looking for, I cannot think of a better group for your event.

Saltbox Team: Thank you for all that you do!

Sent on 12/15/2018

Chris · Married on 10/19/2017

Saltbox was--and is--outstanding! We had been there for lunch and dinner before, so we knew the food was great. For us, planning our wedding was a daunting task, but Megan and Ben put our minds at ease. They were super helpful throughout the process from start to finish. Megan was very responsive and did an awesome job connecting with the venue to make sure everyone was on the same page. By the time our big day had arrived, we were not worried at all about the food or setup because we knew Saltbox had all the details covered. The staff was great on the day of the wedding as well--friendly and professional. We did passed hors d'oeuvres and a family style dinner with a vegetarian option, and our guests loved the food. They're still talking about it. Even my nieces--12 and 9--cleaned their plates! We can't say enough about Saltbox.

Sent on 12/02/2017

Caroline · Married on 10/07/2017

My husband and I worked with Saltbox Farm & Kitchen for our October 2017 wedding. Saltbox was on the top of our wish list, and we sought out venues in which they worked to ensure we could hire them! From our first meeting and tasting with Ben and Megan at the Farm, through the months of planning leading up to our wedding day, we had an excellent experience with the Saltbox team. Megan was particularly exceptional. She checked-in with us often to ensure that we were sticking to timelines, gave opinions and advice on the endless wedding details, honored our needs and requests, and was always extremely pleasant, prepared and professional. Saltbox handled the food, beverage, all rentals and service, interfaced with the vendors and venue and managed the day-of set-up, timeline logistics and breakdown. Everything was seamless and incredibly beautiful; it was truly a perfect day.

The food: the tasting definitely sealed the deal for us in deciding to work with Saltbox. It was one of the best meals we've ever had! We developed a cocktail hour and family-style dinner menu with Megan and Ben that was seasonal and sourced food responsibly. Everyone that attended the wedding raved about the food (and wonderful table and bar service!) and we heard from so many guests that it was the best meal they've ever had at a wedding. I am still thinking about the scallop crudo and marinated chicken with chimichurri sauce!

My husband and I give Saltbox our highest recommendation and many kudos for helping us make our wedding day dreams a reality! We are so thankful they're in Boston-area.

Sent on 11/13/2017

Louisa · Married on 09/23/2017

Saltbox catered our wedding in New Hampshire, and I cannot say enough good things about them. Ben and Megan were easy and delightful to work with from start to finish! We had a large, outdoor wedding without assigned seats, which posed some logistical hurdles for a plated dinner, but they handled everything with apparent ease. From the tasting, to menu planning, to set up, to the service at the wedding - all was exemplary!! They were so thoughtful as to have a server assigned specifically to my husband and me throughout the night (and she was the bomb). Most importantly, we have continued to get RAVE reviews of the food - it's not something people usually comment on at weddings, so the number of compliments we've gotten is truly a testament to how wonderful Saltbox is in every way. We will absolutely work with them again!!

Sent on 11/06/2017

Jennifer · Married on 10/07/2016

Food was top priority for our wedding and we were quickly won over at the tasting when Chef Ben Elliott cooked for us at Saltbox Farm over a year ago. We distinctively remembered how amazing the pumpkin gnudi and the short ribs were. We were initially a little concerned about how the tasting skillet would translate to group of 50 guests, but at our wedding on October 21, the food quality were just as amazing. We received so many compliments from our guests indicating that it was the best wedding food they ever had. The service staff were friendly and professional. All of our guests were truly well cared for. Bonus - Chef Ben Elliott even made an appearance at our wedding!

A special mention to Megan Hawkes, Manager of Catering and Events for her hard work in coordinating everything especially the rentals. She made everything happen...

If good food is a priority, look no further - Saltbox Kitchen is your wedding caterer....

Sent on 11/01/2017
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 14
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 15
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 16
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 17
    Saltbox Farm & Kitchen 18

Stephanie · Married on 09/10/2016

Hiring Salt Box was by far the easiest and best decision we made when it came to planning our wedding. Ben, the owner, and Megan, who handles event coordination and brings everything together, were fantastic. Months later, our guests still cannot stop raving about the food. Common praise includes "that was the best food I've ever had at a wedding, in fact, it is some of the best food I've had in a long time!" They were super receptive to my ideas (including wanting to serving paella family style at each table) and executed everything beautifully. Megan took my vision and made it a reality, in fact, she helped to create a space and vibe that was even better than what I had imagined. Salt Box is worth every penny!

Sent on 11/13/2016

James · Married on 08/13/2016

My parents, my wife and I were very happy with the team at Saltbox. We hired them to cater the rehearsal dinner for 80 people the night prior to our wedding in August 2016 in Lincoln, MA. They were very helpful and responsive in the months leading up to the event. They allowed us to taste the menu a few weeks prior - Ben (the owner and head chef) prepared the menu for us at his kitchen in Concord - which was awesome. The food they served at the event was excellent. The service was perfect. We got lots of compliments from our guests. We would strongly recommend them to anyone. And we will continue to frequent their restaurant in West Concord.

Sent on 10/17/2016

My husband and I met while working at a renowned restaurant, so when it came time to plan our wedding, food was going to play the central role in celebrating our marriage, who we are, and what we like to share with our friends and family. Saltbox greatly exceeded our expectations in each of these areas.

We interviewed five caterers - three were pre-selected by potential wedding venues, and two (including Saltbox) we found through Edible Boston. We wanted a hybrid meal - Eastern NC BBQ meets New England clambake - to reflect our respective backgrounds and our desire to have a rustic, unique experience. This proved too difficult for traditional caterers, who weren't able to grasp the particularities of each of the menu items we wanted and therefore charged premiums for what appeared to be the equivalent of backyard grilling.

When we met Ben, however, not only did he get what we were going for, he elevated our concept above and beyond our expectations, conceiving of a truly one-of-a-kind menu that reflected the best of what we wanted while maximizing the use of his farm-produced goods. His restaurant experience with Barbara Lynch, combined with his inherent hospitality and enthusiasm for food, assured us that our catering would speak to us as a couple and not "wedding food."

He also suggested wine and spirit pairings that kept our guests lively throughout the whole night. The addition of a sipping bourbon and whiskey at the end of the night was a particular hit. Our dessert was whoopie pies (baked by Saltbox) and ice cream sundaes, using ice cream from a local vendor. My husband and I had one giant, epic whoopie pie...

Beyond the food, the service was incredible and received compliments from our guests. My husband and I had a dedicated server who anticipated our needs while giving us plenty of space.

All of this was delivered below the high-end custom caterer budgets in the area. We can't for another reason to work with Ben and his team!

Sent on 11/20/2014

Leigh Davis & David Phillips · Married on 08/02/2014

This is a joint review from both the married couple and parents of the bride. We are unanimously enthusiastic in recommending Ben Elliott and the Saltbox Farm team. We (and our guests) were thrilled with everything.

First, let's talk about responsiveness and planning. Menu design. Ben listened, REALLY LISTENED, about what kind of event we wanted, what flavors we liked, etc., At our first meeting, he suggested a few dishes to get our reactions, and then based on that, came up with a brilliant menu that met our tastes and preferences. We didn't have to wade through pages of choices trying to compose our own symphony. We wanted to serve family style. Other caterers were reluctant; for Ben, it was "no problem," We wanted a selection of seasonal pies, no cake. Again, no problem. We wanted to use our own collection of serving plates and china. Again, no problem.

About a month before the wedding, Ben invited us to lunch at the Farm, so that we could get some samples of the dishes and talk through all the logistical details. Suffice it to say, it was the best working lunch we ever have had, or likely ever will have. And importantly, again Ben listened closely and helped us design pacing and details, drink pairings, etc., that all worked brilliantly.

And all that careful preparation paid off on the day of the event. Everything was delicious; we were thrilled, the guests were all thrilled and amazed. And, since we had the event in our back yard, we got to keep lots of leftovers. Which, we can happily report, tasted just as good in subsequent days.

And we can't say enough what a nice guy Ben is to work with. Very flexible and accommodating, especially in working around our hectic schedule the day before the event.

Finally, very good value for money. Ben's food charges were higher than others, but he was much more efficient on labor costs and other expenses, so the "all in price" was equal or lower than others.

Sent on 12/27/2014

Thank you Saltbox Farm!!!

As we were looking for caterers for our wedding we knew that we wanted someone who would incorporate a local, farm to table kind of food for our reception. We interviewed a couple of caterers in the area who seemed very nice but left me feeling anxious about the details. Then we met Ben and Holly. With that first meeting we knew that they were the best. Not only did they want to hear our ideas but they had ideas themselves and not just about the food but about the whole event. This ran the gamut of where our guests were going to stay to floor layouts and creative dessert ideas. They were amazing! With them, I knew that we were in good hands. Ben runs the beautiful family farm in Concord where many of his ingredients come from. They knew our venue (The Concord Scout House), they recommended the liquor store (West Concord Liquors - fantastic) and had great wine suggestions, and worked hard to stay within our budget (for a wedding of 150 people).

On our wedding day we walked into the reception hall and it was amazing! It was beautiful - they were attentive to so many details. The servers they hired were wonderful, the tables looked beautiful, and the food was AMAZING (and when I say amazing, it is because not only did my husband and I think it was amazing but many of our guests commented on it as well - weeks and months later). They were open to and perfected our quirky pie potluck dessert idea.

They are true professionals and I am so grateful that we were able to work with them for our wedding. I highly recommend them! Of course you could and should interview other vendors but, I feel certain you will find that they are the best.

Sent on 11/20/2014

Karla · Married on 07/19/2014

Ben, Aran, and Holly were amazing throughout the process. They made delicious food that all of our guests raved about and provided impeccable service. They listened to our needs and were able to guide us through expertly. The tasting at the farm was a great experience that really made us feel confident in our choice. I have also attended a wedding by Salt Box as a guest on their farm. That wedding was also beautifully catered and made the topic of conversation focus around the delicious food. They were flexible with our requests and brought great ideas that made the event feel extra special.

Sent on 11/19/2014

Jim · Married on 06/27/2014

Saltbox Farm was the absolute perfect catering service for our wedding! From the first instance of contacting them, we were blown away with their friendliness and service. We were also very excited to hear that almost all of the food they served would come from their own farm, as supporting local farmers and businesses is very important to us. Throughout the process, we got to know Chef Ben and his easy-going attitude and professionalism made us feel very at ease and appreciated as he embraced our ideas and enhanced them to a degree that we could not have imagined.
    Those attributes were evident among his entire staff, as the quality of the food and their service throughout the evening was spot-on - our guests could not stop raving about the job they did. Not to mention that the tables were beautifully decorated and set up exactly as we asked. If we had to go through the whole process again, there's no question that we would have Saltbox Farm provide the catering and knowing that they perform for other functions, we will definitely go to them first!

Sent on 11/22/2014

David · Married on 09/01/2013

We cannot recommend Saltbox more enthusiastically. They are based out of a beautiful farmhouse in Concord that Ben Elliott, the proprietor of the small business, owns. In addition to farming, they do cooking classes and host events at the farm. We were sent there way by a friend who works at No. 9 Park, where Ben and others on the Saltbox team used to work. We were initially skeptical that they could do an event of our size (we had over 200 people), but any such concern was completely misplaced. Not only did they work within our budget constraints, and travel all the way up to our wedding venue on Lake Winnipesaukee for two site visits and the wedding itself, but the food they made was unspeakably delicious. Although we’re obviously a little biased, we both thought it was the best food we had had at a wedding, and we got an enormous number of compliments from guests saying similar things. Even beyond that, Ben and his team went well beyond what we expected a caterer to do. They helped us think through the schedule of the event, design the layout of our tent, review our rental order, and numerous other things. With everything, they were remarkably organized, thoughtful, and professional. (For full disclosure, Molly Loveday, who we mainly worked with and who was amazing, has left Saltbox to become the hospitality manager at Sarma in Somerville. But Ben was also incredible and I would assume things would be largely the same.) Hiring Saltbox was one of the best decisions we made in planning our wedding. If you’re looking for a caterer in the Boston area (or anywhere in New England), you couldn’t do better.

Sent on 12/27/2013

Jennifer · Married on 08/19/2017

I loved working with Megan and Ben on my daughters outdoor orchard wedding. We had such fun together throughout the whole process. Megan was attentive to EVERY detail from the beginning of the planning process and was there to ensure that all ran perfectly smoothly on the wedding day !! And the Saltbox Kitchen vegetarian meal (as requested by the bride and groom) was fresh and delicious!
    Happy Mother of the Bride

Sent on 11/22/2017

Saltbox catered our wedding in rural Vermont a few weeks ago, and my husband and I (as well as our guests) couldn't be happier!

My husband and I are both vegetarian and good food obsessed, so when we first started planning our wedding, we knew good food was a top priority. It was important to us to have a vegetarian wedding that was delicious and vegetable-focused (and not just boring pastas or tofu steaks). We also knew that lots of our guests were meat-eaters and we wanted to make sure everyone walked away excited about the food. Well, Saltbox completely pulled it off.

They worked patiently with us at every step. We gave them the adjective "Ottolenghi-esque" at the beginning and a few other notes about our taste, and they ran with it from there, delivering a draft menu that was amazing and then revising it according to our feedback.

Throughout, they were easy to work with and extremely professional, and they pulled off of the details on the day beautifully, with everyone leaving happily stuffed and thrilled. The waitstaff was also fantastic and helped ensure that my husband and I got enough to eat amidst all the busy-ness and dancing.

Now, just a few weeks later, we are constantly hearing from friends and family about how great the food was (the best they've ever had by some accounts), asking for Saltbox's name, and remarking about how they completely forgot that they were eating vegetarian for the night because every dish was so delicious. I have been to lots of weddings and frankly, most of the food is not memorable. Saltbox's food absolutely was.

Sent on 06/20/2016

I would recommend Saltbox to anyone who wants amazing service and truly beautiful food. Everything was fresh, beautifully served, and the service and attention to what we wanted were impeccable.

Sent on 09/15/2014

Alissa · Married on 05/03/2014

Ben Elliot and his staff did a fantastic job providing catering and bar tending services at our wedding in Concord. We chose to work with Ben because he was flexible and responsive. He gave us support when we needed it (like in selecting wines) and let us call the shots when we felt comfortable. He also allowed us to make substitutions and provide our own appetizers and beer. We dealt directly with Ben when planning the wedding and he made himself very available. On the day of the wedding, my family called him early to help open up the reception venue to put up decorations, and he obliged! Our guests still rave about the quality of the food and the warm service that Ben and his staff provided. They did an amazing job preparing delicious food, keeping to a schedule and cleaning the venue, and my husband and I hope to work with Saltbox Farm in the future!

Sent on 11/29/2014

Susie · Married on 09/24/2016

Saltbox was incredible! We had such a special experience with them. They created a farm to table family style dinner for our wedding that had gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian options for our guests. They also brought in Wellfleet Oysters per our request and beautifully paired wines and crafted delicious cocktails. Our tasting experience was amazing and we really enjoyed getting to know their team. The created the exact experience we were imagining and it was perfectly executed that night. We also worked with Saltbox for our floral design, a new venture for them, and it the flowers were breathtaking. Camille worked with me and our planner to create an even more beautiful event than I'd envisioned. You have to work with Saltbox for catering --- and flowers!!!

Sent on 11/20/2016

Ben, the owner, is very easy to work with and receptive to my ideas. He was really helpful in the planning of our wedding as well (we didn't know what we were doing and he did), and took care of all the event rentals for our reception so that we did not have to. The food was absolutely amazing, and the service at the reception was made the event really wonderful. You pay for what you get, so this isn't a steal, but the money is definitely worth it. Overall I cannot speak more highly of Ben Elliott and his crew.

Sent on 11/19/2014