Safety Harbor Resort & Spa Reviews

Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 5
Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 6
Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 7

Jennifer · Married on 03/27/2010

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa was the perfect wedding location. The ceremony was held outside in front of the water and the reception inside in the Four Springs Ball Room. The entire bridal party got ready in some of the big suite rooms that the resort offers and I (being the bride) had the opportunity to watch as my florist decorated the ceremony area from inside the suite. This resort is perfect for doing the entire show at one location and friendly staff. Thank you so much!!

Sent on 04/27/2010

Christy · Married on 01/24/2009

We love Safety Harbor! Tina was our cordinator and was awesome, the entire staff was very professional. The venue is great, we used the tranquility garden (fountain) and the athena ballroom! There was a christining in the ballroom two hours before our wedding started and the staff turned the room over for our reception in no time and it was unbelievable!!! There food is amazing and prices are very reasonable compared to many other local venues. We have nothing but love for Safety Harbor and wouldn't have changed a thing! P.S. The rooms are awesome!!!

Sent on 02/11/2009

vanessa · Married on 11/30/1991

it's a beautiful place with wonderful food. and they couldn't have been nicer about everything. even gave us hotel rooms!

Sent on 11/11/2008

Karen · Married on 10/15/2016

We had a destination wedding at Safety Harbor Resort and Spa October 2016.

Our experience started off a little rough, we went through a couple different wedding coordinators which caused some anxiety but once everything settled we were connected with Maria Touloumis who was amazing. She was always available through email or phone and was quick to respond which eased a lot of the anxiety I had.

Since it was a destination wedding we didn't get into town until the week before the wedding. Maria spent HOURS with us, walking us through everything days before the wedding so we knew it would go off without a hitch. Even with little glitches that popped up days before the wedding (as they always do) she was in constant contact with us to keep us updated and worked hard to make our wedding day what we wanted.

Sent on 09/20/2017

I stayed one night with my bridesmaids and got ready in a suite the next day it was a full king suite bay view and had plenty of room for everyone to get ready, also stayed there after the wedding with my husband! We will definitely be staying again just for a relaxing vaca!

Sent on 01/19/2016

Brittney · Married on 05/06/2017

Overall, Safety Harbor was a beautiful venue for our wedding! Our guests loved it and we had a great experience. The location is perfect for out of town guests and those who want to walk around the town!

There were a few downfalls: the rooms were out dated and the room situation was a nightmare. We held "all of the suites" in our room block (set up in 2016 for a 2017 wedding), but the week of the wedding we were short suites and told someone else had them and had booked them 2 years prior so there was nothing they could do. They had a double room they called a suite and gave us that. Very strange and inconvenient for our families as we had to shuffle rooms around 2 days prior to the wedding.

Another inconvenience came when we were told we could set up things ahead of time in the reception room (lights we were stringing around 12 ft columns) but we weren't able to get into the ballroom until late the night before the wedding which was chaotic and stressful for the bridal party.

The resort also gave all of our guests coupons for 20% off spa services BUT the coupons weren't redeemable the weekend of the wedding! The spa said they sell out "weeks in advance" and our guests were only there for 3 +/- days so none of them could get any of the spa treatments they had planned to or use the coupon. Had we known guests would need to book months in advance, we would have told everyone when we gave the room block information. It was the only complaint our guests had.

Maria T. was excellent in helping and answering questions up front, but after going through our wedding details on 2 or 3 occasions, I was still being called the week of the wedding to clarify and confirm. It was stressful as a bride to worry about my linens the week of the wedding when they were picked out 10 months prior.

Again, the wedding was beautiful and we enjoyed our stay but these are things brides should be aware of when spending $25k +

Sent on 09/14/2017

Courtney · Married on 05/30/2015

3.0

I had my wedding at the Safety Harbor Resort & Spa at the end of May and the venue could not have worked better for my husband and I’s wedding vision. The church where we had our wedding ceremony was right down the street and we loved that the Spa offered a place where we could have a beautiful reception and then have guests stay the night, as a lot of our guests were coming from out of town. The first wedding coordinator we were originally assigned ended up leaving the Spa several months prior to the wedding, which was very stressful at the time; however, Maria Savakis Touloumis took over as our wedding coordinator and she was very helpful in making sure that my husband and I had the reception we envisioned. Maria never hesitated to answer any questions we had promptly and with honesty. She was always willing to meet with us and although the Spa found our wedding vision unique (no seating charts, formal speeches or any designated “dinner time”), she made sure that we ended up achieving our vision and we couldn’t have been happier with how the reception went! Maria was also very accommodating when we ended up having to use an extra room at the last minute due to our high number of guests. The day of, Maria made sure everything was kept on schedule and worked with the other vendors to make sure everything went off without a hitch. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful, courteous, and professional. All of our friends and family had so much fun, and my husband and I had a blast dancing the night away!

Sent on 10/17/2015

Jean · Married on 05/23/2015

Bridgett Chavez was my daughter's Wedding Coordinator and she was fantastic! She was patient, kind, understanding, friendly, knowledgeable, and answered our many questions in a timely and thorough manner all along the way. She also has a calming demeanor and is never condescending. Thank you so much!

Sent on 06/09/2015

Ive been going to SHR&S for years. Love that they remodeled a bit and it looks refreshed, as a spa should. The front desk attendants could be a little friendlier. Though it says I've been there more than once, my guest had not and they didn't give her/or offer her a tour. My services were really great! Ian is my massage therapist and he is FABULOUS! I will only use him. If he's not available, I just won't go. He's that great! The only thing I do think that needs to be re-done is the wet area in the women's area. The sauna/steam room area and the salt scrub areas feel very - "gym" like. Not spa like. I would make those bigger and "prettier"

Sent on 12/08/2014

Jenn · Married on 10/20/2013

3.5

Safety Harbor is a beautiful resort to an alternative to a cliché beach wedding in Florida. The historic hotel, the spa, salon, rooms, ballrooms are unmatchable to any other venue I looked at. The catering staff were amazing! any issue that I had, they were there to fix it. Management worked with me 100%. The salon did excellent on the bridal party hair and makeup. Paul was the BEST! Thank you all for a great wedding weekend!

Sent on 12/09/2013
  • Danielle

Danielle · Married on 11/10/2018

Definitely pricey but the food was amazing !

We loved having the wedding here. The food was perfect and so was my cake. I just highly reccomend that wedding coordinator is there on the night of. Some things were not as good but it wasn’t something too major. I would reccomend this place but keep in mind mistakes can happen. Nothing is perfect. Breathe. :)

Sent on 11/18/2018

Hallie · Married on 11/12/2017

3.5

We worked with Maria at the Spa and she was amazing. Worked without our budget, gave us exactly what we wanted and made it all so easy!

Sent on 11/19/2017
    Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 8
    Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 9
    Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 10
  • Caitlin

Caitlin · Married on 04/14/2012

This was a great place to have a wedding, though we had some concerns when it came down to the end right before our wedding. There were several charges that were given to us which we thought had been included in the contract price. Other than the last minute charges the venue was very nice and the wedding planner that came with the venue, Maria, was amazing! All of the staff were very nice and courteous as well.

Sent on 04/28/2012
  • Candace

Candace · Married on 09/06/2009

3.0

The day of went very very smoothly. The staff is very accomadting and friendly. I just feel the place is a bit costly for what you recieve. We had a sunday wedding in September!!! The deadest season for Florida and they would not budge on price. The service was great. They do like to charge for eveything little thing though. The package we got stated upgrade to suite upon availability well turned out we had to pay an additonal 150.00 they night of to stay in the groomsmen suite from the night before. Also the 22% service charge on everything fees and all. We had a clean up fee that 22% gratuity was added to???? odd!!! Food was great, service wonderful!! Tina is really nice and will try to help. Just beware of all the hidden cost!!

Sent on 09/30/2009

Leeann · Married on 04/07/2017

3.5

I got married at SHRS in April 2017. I was very happy with my wedding coordinator Maria. Her and I have become friends over this whole wedding process. Maria was always there is help pick up the pieces and make sure everything was on track. With Maria I felt like I could worry less. From my experience I would recommend that you and your guest take extra caution when it comes to rooms. I later found out that my husband didn't have a room to get ready for our wedding in until 30min before our ceremony! We called for earlier check-in for his room, but unfortunately the ball was dropped for his room and multiple wedding guest rooms. My husband was very disappointed on the room process.

Sent on 04/14/2017

Melissa · Married on 05/05/2012

4.2

Safety Harbor was amazing :) very beautiful place to have a wedding the staff that we had was amazing ! only things i didn't like is they kind of rushed us out of the room a guy came in while we were dancing and turned the lights on and we all looked around and one of the very amazing workers that was helping with the event went and turned it back down. also we got a complimentary room with our stay and free breakfast. When our food was delivered the next morning they had made us pay, we called later to ask about it and they guy came back up and gave us our money back. All in All this place is amazing and beautiful amanda helped alot the day of making sure everything was going okay

Sent on 05/16/2012

Alexandra · Married on 09/23/2017

Maria
    First let me start with saying thank u Maria for your skills personal touch and everything else you did to make my day successful. You went above and beyond to make my reception as beautiful as I pictured. Your guidance and expertise speaks volume. Most of all your personal touch, to being there and support when I needed most you truly saved the day. Thousand thank you to you and staff at the spa for making our day! Highly recommend. 9/23/17

Sent on 10/30/2017
    Safety Harbor Resort & Spa 11

Jelaine · Married on 12/02/2012

3.5

I got married at Safety Harbor on 12/2/12. Safety Harbor was a wonderful choice for our reception. The price was well worth the service we received. We opted for a Sunday Brunch wedding and my guests really loved the food. We had several compliments about how much people loved the brunch buffet. Kelly G. in the Catering & Sales department was patient, responsive, and a pleasure to work with from beginning to end.

I will say that they lost their 5 star rating with me because we booked solely on the promise that their Sunday Brunch would not be held during our wedding. However after our final payment "nothing" could be done to cancel the brunch. In the grand scheme it didn't detract from our wedding but this was a BIG deal to us because we booked them for that reason.

All in all our reception was amazing, the staff was very helpful and responsive, and we enjoyed working with them.

Sent on 12/12/2012

Mireya Reyes · Married on 07/21/2019

Perfect wedding

MY DAUGHTER'S WEDDING WAS HELD SEPT 28, 2019 AT SH. WHAT A PERFECT DAY IT WAS. BEAUTIFUL VENUE. THE STAFF WAS AMAZING, VERY ATTENTIVE, FOOD WAS DELISH (SALMON, CHICKEN MARSALA, EGGPLANT ROLLATINI). MARIA TOULOUMIS WAS HEAVEN SENT. SHE IS THE GO TO PERSON AND DAY OF COORDINATOR. SHE WENT OUT OF HER WAY TO MAKE SURE THINGS WENT SMOOTHLY AND ACCORDING TO PLAN. STRESS FREE WEDDING DAY THANKS TO MARIA AND STAFF. LOVE , LOVE , LOVE HER. MADE IT A WEEKEND STAY AS DID ALOT OF OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. OVERALL NICE STAY, ALTHOUGH THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING WOULD BE THAT THERE IS A HUMID / MOLDY SMELL IN SOME OF THE ROOMS. OVERALL, WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE WITH SH WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND AS A WEDDING VENUE.

Sent on 10/01/2019

3.0

I had quite a few problems when working with Safety Harbor Resort and Spa. I changed Catering Coordinators three times before my wedding date- the last time was on my wedding day itself. I found out that I had no wedding coordinator from my old coordinator who had to find me on social media because they wouldn't allow her to tell me that she didn't work there anymore. The day itself had a few hitches- with an impromptu coordinator who only knew the basics- but over all it went okay. No one knew about all of the things that were missing, or forgotten by the venue which is really all that matters. All in all, my wedding day was perfect and they really did try to make up for all of the issues that cropped up at the last minute.

Sent on 04/28/2016

The facility was spectacular. However there were some very important issues that detracted from it being a superior experience:
    1. Communication during the planning/contract stage, relative to estimated cost could have/should have been a lot clearer. The fact that it was not - resulted in our being shocked upon receipt of a bill 25% greater than anticipated!
    2. A very expensive floral arrangement could not be used at the ceremony, due to the outdoor ceremony venue not being set up in the way it was requested by the bridal couple and agreed upon by the wedding coordinator. A request, made in advance of the ceremony to correct this error, was denied!
    3. Some tables, chairs and place settings were not set up properly, resulting in some guests having to stand and wait several minutes, while the staff rectified the problem.

Sent on 11/21/2015

Christine · Married on 05/12/2018

3.4
      3.5

Our coordinator Jenna was a pleasure to work with. Everything was trouble free until the day of our wedding. We had both our ceremony and reception at this venue. Ceremony went very well, but I was disappointed in the level of service with the cocktail hour and reception. Some of my guests noticed the service issues. I had to leave my reception to find someone to handle the concerns that we had. My husband and I weren’t served our main course for dinner until after all of our guests were just about finished with theirs. Lovely venue but they need to improve their service. Had my hair and makeup done in their salon which I felt was overpriced for the quality of services that I received. I was very unhappy with how my makeup looked in my pictures.

Sent on 05/26/2018

Jennifer · Married on 11/10/2007

3.4
      2.5

Things were a little sketchy the day before and the morning of the wedding but they pulled it together and my wedding was BEAUTIFUL!

Sent on 06/04/2008

1.5

Food was good.
    Location was pretty,
    They had several weddings the weekend I got married and it showed.

Sent on 03/23/2016
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 10/08/2011

2.0
      2.0

This location is GORGEOUS! Kelly Gorman is the best thing that could have ever happened to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa. She is truly the rock that brings together all of the pieces of the big event like a wedding...
    That being said...there is a lot that could be improved for the price paid. We held a brunch reception with our ceremony starting at 10:30am.
    Some inconsistancies that should be addressed BEFORE signing your contract and committing to this location:
    1. Ask about bridal dressing rooms, we had to dress in a guest room we booked the night before.
    2. Have a good idea of how many guests you are looking to invite prior to execution of the contract so that you do not owe a huge balance two days before you walk down the isle.
    3. If you choose to put a deposit down on a consumption bar, get it in writing from the spa that the staff will talk to the person in charge during your reception to ensure that the bar tab is not exhausted leaving your event with a huge bill...this happened to us. We were told numerous times that the bar staff would let us know when our tab had a balance left, then to find out a few days after the wedding was over that we owed a bill. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL.
    4. My reception ended at 3:30pm. There was another reception being held almost directly after mine. Before our party was over the next reception's cake was delivered and sat down on one of our tables with unprofessionally dressed looking delivery men standing there watching my guests. Ask about the time between events as this was also NOT PROFESSIONAL.
    5. When you contract with SHR&S you are required to get your wedding cake through Let Them Eat Cake. (I will be writing a seperate review for them)...needless to say, there is a lot left to desire with this company. You should be able to contract any bakery you would like to create your cake.
    6. We had an ice sculpture in our cocktail hour...rather than giving us the option of doing with it what we wished as it was a VERY expensive peice, the staff allowed the reception party after ours to wheel our ice sculpture into their reception party. My family actually threw an after party off site and when we went to get hte ice sculpture, it was already in their room! HOW TACKY and what NERVE! Of course, we were not going to barge into that reception and take our ice sculpture back at that point, obviously that party need additional decor. :(
    7. Decorations: please ensure the staff know what decor you are bringing. My mother spent hours creating 90 gorgeous napkin rings with peacock feathers, jewels, and ribbon only to have the staff come in at the end and start gathering those items and the linens that belonged to us without asking and throwing it in garbage bags to send to a company to be cleaned and pressed and returned to the rental place where we "must have gotten them from". We ended up buying our own table covers, chair covers, chair sashes, napkins, and napkin rings because it was wayyyy cheaper than renting.
    7. Ensure the staff have clear directions on the table set up and directives on how to serve cake or anything else you need served. This was a nightmare and staff were a bit rude when guests wanted a specific flavor of cake (we have three flavors in our cake).

All in all, this place is gorgeous and our wedding and reception was spectacular! I would recommend this location as long as you clear the items above up with them PRIOR to the day of the wedding. Good luck!

Sent on 10/14/2011