Runaway Island Reviews

Runaway Island 5
Runaway Island 6
Runaway Island 7

Josie · Married on 11/11/2015

Runaway Island was the perfect place for our reception. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.

Sent on 12/02/2015

Tammy · Married on 08/12/2014

Amazing food and the perfect setup for an after wedding dinner. The place was beautiful and right on the beach!

Sent on 01/09/2015

Amanda · Married on 05/19/2018

My husband and I had an amazing experience with Runaway Island. We are from up north and couldn't come down to see the venue in person before the wedding. When we arrived, Runaway exceeded our expectations. The location was perfect and we LOVED the flag room. We comfortably fit all our guests and had room for a dance floor. The view from the room was beautiful and our guests raved about the venue. They also really enjoyed the appetizers and service. Also, I cannot say enough good things about Susan, the event coordinator. She was accessible and prompt in responses. She immediately made me feel comfortable and was genuinely nice to everyone in my wedding party. I would highly recommend Runaway for weddings.

Sent on 06/19/2018
    Runaway Island 8
    Runaway Island 9
    Runaway Island 10
    Runaway Island 11

Runaway Island's reply:

Amanda! We all so enjoyed having you celebrate your special day with us. You and your family were so sweet. It makes it easy to plan when the guests are so gracious as well. All of us at Runaway Island wish you a lifetime of love and joy. Hope to see you in the future! -SV

Ann · Married on 05/05/2018

Runaway Island is our new favorite restaurant in Panama City Beach. We had our wedding reception there and it was amazing! Everyone was so friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make sure we had the perfect night. Price wise it wasn't bad at all! We definitely recommend runaway Island for a party or reception in the future. Oh and if you do go to just the restaurant try the crab dip it's amazing!

Sent on 06/05/2018
    Runaway Island 16
    Runaway Island 17
    Runaway Island 18

Runaway Island's reply:

Ann and Matt, it was such a pleasure to have you. You, your family and guest were so much fun. The Sweet Annie Champagne signature was a hit even with other dining guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
  • User4161901 · 2+ years ago

The service was great and the food tasted amazing! We reserved the room upstairs for ourselves. It was right on the beach with a great location to watch the sunset. They offered to play my own music and they hooked up my iphone to the speakers. The employees went above and beyond to make sure everything went well. They allowed us to take the leftover food home with us which was a nice gesture.

Sent on 11/09/2014

Brandy · Married on 05/27/2018

The staff was amazing and so was the food !

Sent on 06/05/2018

Runaway Island's reply:

Thanks, Brandy so much! We are so happy for you a Justin. Everyone at Runaway Island sends you best wishes!

Chelsey · Married on 11/07/2015

Runaway Island was an awesome location for our wedding reception. We had ours out on the deck. The staff was very attentive and super nice and accommodating. They really made our special day run smoothly and they helped make it great.

Sent on 11/16/2015

Shannon · Married on 04/07/2018

3.5

Runaway Island is a beautiful and fantastic spot for a rehearsal dinner in Panama City Beach. The coordinator was extremely professional during the entire process and they were very flexible developing a great night!

Now, the evening and rehearsal dinner itself... WOW! Definitely was a highlight of the entire wedding weekend. We rented out the Ballyhoo Room, which fits twice the amount of people from our wedding party (70) and was spacious to say the least. The lighting, the set up, and the service made everything go really smoothly, allowing more fun to be had just spending time with friends and family. The staff were extremely friendly and hospitable, providing a delicious buffet service and expert bartenders for the open bar. Runaway Island is very amazing for a rehearsal dinner, but it is expensive, so keep that in mind when looking for a spot.

Thanks again to the people over at Runaway Island!

Sent on 06/06/2018

Runaway Island's reply:

Shannon, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. You are right the Ballyhoo is a beautiful space to host an event. With the open concept right on the beach with the amazing views of the Gulf of Mexico, it's hard to beat. Working with you and your family was so special and a lot of fun. We hope to see you in the future. Best wishes, from the entire Runaway Staff.

Britney · Married on 10/28/2017

3.5

Up until the day of the wedding there was very minimal communication from the event coordinator. However, the staff on site on the day of my wedding was absolutely phenomenal! The service team that worked the food and bar were so great and helpful to me as the bride but also to my guests. The manager on duty helped us tremendously when we found out we would have to have our ceremony inside instead of out back on the beach. They made my day a breeze and I couldn’t be more thankful for that!

Sent on 11/14/2017
    Runaway Island 19
    Runaway Island 20
    Runaway Island 21

Kristen · Married on 08/25/2018

3.8
      3.0

We LOVE the Runaway so much that we decided to get married there (8.25.18)! We had a beach ceremony with our reception to follow in the Ballyhoo room. The venue was PERFECT! The staff was extraordinary! The food was delicious! Our guests are still raving about the grouper scampi and mashed potatoes. Matt, the general manager, is AWESOME! We ended up dealing mostly with him as we had a few hiccups with Susan the event coordinator. I'd recommend communicating with Matt to avoid mistakes, outdated information, and most importantly the hassle of dealing with Susan.

Just a small note about Susan, she is the event coordinator at Runaway yet she does not work any of her events. This was unsettling for us to hear as any event (wedding or not) should have the main point of contact there working the event should anything go wrong. We hired a day of coordinator for our wedding for this reason.

Lastly, I want to mention that Matt went above-and-beyond helping us have our dream wedding from setting up our unique beach ceremony seating to removing all the existing tables in Runaway and bringing in round tables for our day! We started off rough with Susan, but Matt was AMAZING and the venue speaks for itself! THANK YOU staff, bartender, Chef, and Matt for all that you did! Our wedding was a success because of YOU ALL!

Sent on 09/18/2018
  • Allison

Allison · Married on 10/28/2018

2.8
      2.0
      2.0

Beautiful venue, great food, terrible planning

really happy to choose to have our wedding at Runaway Island because the food was great and the room was beautiful, however I'm also REALLY happy I didn't have them do our wedding. Susan was not very good at answering my questions (though Matt the restaurant manager was fantastic and extremely helpful, unfortunately he is not the one that handles events) A lot (maybe even all?) of my specific requests were not followed, and some of the staff had no clue. They kept sending guests upstairs when I was getting ready, even though Susan (who wasn't even there the day of the event, and apparently that's typical) said that they would be directed to the ceremony area. You can imagine this caused a lot of frustration when we were doing pictures and getting dressed.

The staff had no idea about the allergies I had previously discussed with Susan. The only reason my guests were not served contaminated foods is because one of the staff members thought it was odd we had 2 fish for our appetizers (the other fish was not an app, it was the meal for the 2 guests with allergies) Thank goodness she asked!
    The garage doors were not opened in our room, we were told before our wedding they would ask if we wanted them open (weather permitting) it was a beautiful day and they were not opened and we were not asked. It was hot and stuffy in the room because of this, until the bar tender opened them for us.

We had chargers on the table for decoration, the staff didn't give us plates because of this. I was then given an attitude when I asked for plates. Despite the bride and groom and a line of people waiting at the buffet, they started giving everyone 1 plate each on the other side of the room until they got to us. We did not get clean plates for seconds.
    The bartender did not know of our signature drinks, nor did he know of our budget or "no shots" rules. We were interrupted during the cocktail our (when we were taking pictures, to ask details on the limits and such that were previously discussed in detail) He was awesome though, one of our friends discussed details with him and he would go around straightening up our décor and was just great with the guests. There didn't seem to ever be anyone "in charge" of our event though. No one checked on us, or made sure the food was good or everything was doing okay.

I had sent Susan an email after this with our disappointments, and the response I received was more or less "I sorry, it's not my fault because I told them." But quite frankly, as someone that works in the service industry, just telling your staff something means nothing if you can't make sure they follow through with it. Again the venue is great, the food is delicious but their event organization and follow through are terrible.

Sent on 01/25/2019