Root Cellar Catering Reviews

75 | San Marcos, TX

75 Reviews for Root Cellar Catering

Cambria E. · Married on 02/03/2021

Phenomenal

All my guests could talk about was the food!!!

So, we stumbled upon Root Cellar on the Knot and decided to book a tasting. Unfortunately, my husband and I had our engagement session on one of the only times they could do a tasting, so my mom went for us. She said Megan was absolutely wonderful and helped with different ideas. Megan packed a to-go box of everything for my husband and I. We heated everything up in the microwave later that night and the food was PHENOMENAL. We booked with them right then because if the food was that good hours later out of a microwave then we could not even imagine what it tasted like freshly made.

After booking, Vanessa was the best at communication and even helped us outside of her hours when our venue cancelled on us 3 months out from our wedding!! She really eased our anxiety and worked with the new venue in the short time she had. The service staff was very polite and working hard all night at the wedding.

We kept hearing from people how you never get to eat at your own wedding...well, we made it a point to sit and eat and let me just say it was absolutely delicious. I would've had 4 more plates if time had allowed. All of our guests were raving about the dinner that night and even the next day. A good majority of my side of the family is from the Austin and greater Austin area and we are all talking about getting together and going to their restaurant in San Marcos!!

If there was a 6th star option, I would give it to Root Cellar. Don't even hesitate on booking with them. Do it and you will not regret it.

Sent on 03/18/2020
  • Alexandria

Alex P. · Married on 12/05/2020

Delicious Food!

Root Cellar was amazing to work with! Vanessa answered every single question I had by email and phone for over a year and half (bless her). Our tasting with Megan was DELICIOUS. We chose to do their mac and cheese and southern BLT sliders for passed hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour. Dinner was their salad, roasted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans. The food tasted amazing at the tasting and just as good on our wedding day. They made sure that the bride and groom actually ATE, which usually doesn't happen. All of the leftover food was packaged up so that we could also eat it the next day...it was still just as good reheated! Every time a vendor asked who our caterer was they always said something about how delicious Root Cellar's food is and that we made a great choice by picking them. They were right and we couldn't have been happier with Root Cellar's communication, the food and service at the wedding, and doing it all during a pandemic!

Sent on 12/13/2020
  • Michelle

Michelle C. · Married on 12/04/2020

Incredible food and even more incredible service

My husband and I are SO happy we chose Root Cellar to cater our wedding. I work in the events industry and have sampled many of the local caterers over the years. We had gone to a few tastings at this point, and as soon as we had their food, we were sold! Vanessa and Megan were both amazing to work with even with postponing a wedding during a pandemic! Their entire staff was so professional and we felt that they were taking covid precautions so seriously on our wedding day. The food is absolutely perfect and I ate SO much. People always talk about how they didn't eat anything on their wedding day because they were too busy talking to people or had nerves, but I knew how good this food was and was so looking forward to it. I ate ALMOST every single bite of what they put in front of me and was SO happy with everything. One of our groomsmen even joked about asking for an entire plate of the garlic mashed potatoes after he ate his whole dinner, and all of our guests were raving about how delicious the food was over the next few days after. Just do yourself a favor and stop looking for a caterer now, because Root Cellar is perfect! Love y'all!

Sent on 12/15/2020
  • Chelsea & Jared

Chelsea J. · Married on 10/31/2020

Delicious, delicious, DELICIOUS dinner!

We had to change our original wedding plans due to COVID-19 and had a smaller wedding with immediate family on our original date. Vanessa was very responsive and helpful as we planned our menu, quick to make adjustments and recommendations based on our feedback. The Root Cellar’s food was amazing! My husband said he almost filled up on their goat cheese and jams from the assorted cheese trays because they were so good. Everyone including the kids loved the food and wanted to know where it came from. Having eaten at the restaurant before we knew the catering would be great, but it was even better than we could’ve dreamed and made our patio dinner reception with close family all the more perfect.

Sent on 07/10/2020

Megan B. · Married on 10/23/2020

Most amazing caterer in the Austin area!

You will never find better wedding food in the Austin area than Root Cellar! Megan and Vanessa were so responsive and helpful during the entire planning process and executed perfectly on wedding day even with the sudden weather change! We relied on Root Cellar for literally everything and they didn’t miss a single detail. Thank you so much Root Cellar!

Sent on 11/09/2020
  • Jack

Jack P. · Married on 10/10/2020

First rate in EVERY respect!

Every bite of food from appetizers, salad, main courses and desserts were incredible! My daughter's wedding was yesterday and everyone raved about the food. The event took place in a somewhat unscripted manner at a private residence with service occuring on a deck and also on a patio and platform that was down a flight of steps. The chefs executed to perfection and the servers were incredibly vigilant and adapted flawlessly to the vibe which again wasn't really conventional. You absolutely CANNOT go wrong using the services of Root Cellars! Jack Penfold

Sent on 10/11/2020
  • Jazmin

Jazmin L. · Married on 04/10/2020

Root Cellar is amazing!

I hired Root Cellar to cater my wedding and oh my goodness. The food was SO GOOD, I swear people are still bringing it up almost 3 years later.

I can't believe it took me almost 3 years to pay them the respect they deserve. And boy do they deserve it! Great caterers. Delicious food, great service and perfect environment in their tasting kitchen and restaurant. I loved my experience with them and can not say enough wonderful things.

Sent on 01/24/2021
  • Janice

Janice J. · Married on 11/30/2019

Absolutely the perfect choice for all things catering for foodies!

I would 100% hire them all over again in a heartbeat. Megan and Vanessa were wonderful to work with! Food and drink were two of the few things we were super picky about and the reason we booked a venue that allowed us to bring in both vendors ourselves. We went to several tastings and just weren't impressed but Megan knocked it out of the park! We ended up going with Root Cellar for our catering, late night snack, cake, AND bartending services and it made it so much easier to have one vendor for all those things. People are still raving about the food and we got to have our ideal passed appetizers, seated meal, multiple desserts and cake, and late night snacks for nearly 200 people that were delicious and served with ease. Definitely book a tasting and go see for yourselves!!!

Sent on 12/17/2019
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 05/04/2019

Amazing food!

Root Cellar did an amazing job on our wedding day!! We continuously hear how delicious the food was from our guests. Megan and Vanessa were SO great to work with! They truly love what they do and it shows in their work.

Sent on 06/11/2019

Rebecca · Married on 03/30/2019

Inexpensive catering, expensive tasting food!

We chose Root Cellar not only because the food is fantastic but also because we are former Bobcats and it was a special spot for us. The price for their catering too, cannot be beat!
    The food was excellent, from horderves to the main meal!
    All of the food was fresh, well made, and hot. I ordered a lot of healthier food - lots of vegetables, but my guests loved it all! They went back for seconds!
    They also did a nice job with table setting and matching my color scheme.

Sent on 06/02/2019
  • Courtney

Courtney · Married on 02/23/2019

An Austrian Feast

I would like to start by saying, my husband and I spent our college days in San Marcos eating at the Root Cellar. We loved the food, and when I went in search for a caterer for our big day, I was shocked to see Root Cellar was now a catering option. I reached out, in pure nostalgia, after my wedding planner said how amazing the team would be to work with, and had no idea what I was about to stumble upon.
    The team at Root Cellar was beyond my wildest expectations. I truly am still in awe of how perfect, and I mean perfect, everything was. I was dead set on doing something untraditional regarding the menu and setup. Megan and team, you’re amazing! You not only met, but exceeded every idea or thought I could have possibly come up with, without any hesitation! You went above and beyond creating such a special menu completely on your own for our special day, people literally around the world are still talking about!
    We are so grateful for the time and effort you spent and for everyone else involved in the process from the food to our delicious and perfect cake!
    The food Megan lovingly made was Austrian/German, and having about 15 Austrians in attendance, we were so happy to hear that not only they loved it, but our most picky Austrian complemented the Schnitzel to the point he said it was similar to his grandmothers. This is one of the highest compliments one can receive.
    Anyone wondering about giving Root Cellar a try, please do. I literally worried about nothing, and my guests got to feast on what was some of the best food I’ve had to date.

Courtney & Colt

Sent on 04/15/2019
  • Leanne

Leanne · Married on 01/05/2019

Delicious!

The food was amazing and I am so happy I have some left over! All of our guests were raving about the jalapeño and orange chicken. They couldn’t get enough! The staff was super helpful from the tasting all the way to the big day. You can also get your bartenders and alcohol insurance through them.

Sent on 01/08/2019

Kathy · Married on 10/27/2018

Fantastic food and service

Everyone raved about the food and every interaction with them was a delight. I cannot reccomend them enough.

Sent on 10/31/2018

Veronica R. · Married on 10/26/2018

The Great Vibe from the Restaurant at Your Wedding!!

We've been eating at Root Cellar for awhile now (the restaurant ambiance is lovely), and since we and many of our guests are Texas State alumni, we wanted to tie our undergrad and years spent in San Marcos to the wedding. The food selection was much more flavorful and curated than the usual wedding menu that other caterers have. The tasting was great and Megan, the chef, is ready to listen and bounce ideas around. The day of the wedding, they were right on time, and the food was served so fresh and hot. The menu created tasted like fall and the southwest with items like chicken with oranges and jalapenos; roasted potatoes; and creamy mac n cheese. EVERYONE, from the guests to the dj and photographer LOVED IT!! Check them out!! Tip: Family style service (food in center of table with guests passing bowls around) really makes the dinner much more intimate and cozy.

Sent on 11/01/2018
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 10/20/2018

Delicious!

The food was one of the top compliments I got about my wedding. Everyone couldn't stop raving about it. And that was due to Megan and her team at Root Cellar. We loved working with them! After meeting Megan and tasting the food, we literally didn't try any other place. Megan is hilarious! Highly recommend Root Cellar!!

Sent on 12/20/2018

Sterling · Married on 09/08/2018

Incredible meal! The staff was so accomodating and pleasant. Vanessa helped me plan everything out and went beyond her job description to make sure our day was perfect. Everyone raved about the food.
    Thank you so much!

Sent on 09/19/2018

Sylvia · Married on 09/07/2018

Thank you for being a part of making a difference in our community. We appreciate your support. Please help us again 09/07 & 09/08/2018

Sent on 10/02/2017

Cindy · Married on 07/27/2018

The food for the Rehearsal Dinner was excellent, and the guests raved about the dishes! The kiddos ate every bite of the mac-n-cheese! I'm so happy we chose the Root Cellar!

Sent on 07/31/2018

Maribel · Married on 07/07/2018

My husband and I wanted a vegan friendly meal which we knew would be a challenge but Megan was able to give us an outstanding number of options that led to us choosing an incredible crowd-pleasing Mexican meal. And yes, Mexican food from Root Cellar was AMAZING! It was so flavorful and you could tell how much care Megan and her team put into making our meal. Megan went above and beyond in communication and detailing to make sure that we had everything we wanted for our day. She answered all questions and made every adjustment we asked for on our quote. It rained right at the beginning of our outdoor reception so Megan and her team were so adaptable in making a cocktail hour area on the first floor and then moved it all up to the rooftop where we had originally planned to hold the entire event as soon as the rain stopped. It was initially a stressful beginning but by the time my groom and I showed up, everything had been figured out and the celebration was ready!
    They can provide a bartendar, set-up crew, tear down crew , and even a cooler with ice! They are also connected to an amazing bakery which we ended up choosing to make our vegan chocolate with white icing wedding cake. We had so many of our guests come to us at the end of the night that would not stop raving about how delicious the cake was! It was beautiful and the "best wedding cake we had ever tasted" - a quote from our guests. Thank you, Ashley!
    If you're a wedding couple who is also working as your own wedding planner it was SO amazing to be able to hire one vendor that will provide all of these services and perform them beautifully! We were so happy that we were working with one large team to act as our caterer, servers for our meal, a bartendar, a baker who delivered and set up our cake decoration on site, and a separate team that came in at the end of the night to break down. Hire this amazing team! They are wonderful, hard-working, gifted, and experienced. You won't regret it!

Sent on 09/29/2018

Lauren · Married on 07/03/2018

Delicious!

We loved our cake from Root Cellar Bakery! After testing many, many, different cakes, we couldn't get the Root Cellar cake out of our minds. The density was perfect, and the flavors were decadent. We went with Tequila Lime cake and icing, and it was a hit with everyone! There wasn't ANY left at the end of the night. The company was so easy to communicate with, very responsive, and helped to ease the stress of wedding planning. I highly recommend this company, and now go back and eat their yummy pastries all the time!

Sent on 06/28/2019

Rebecca · Married on 05/27/2018

We were referred to Root Cellar through our wedding venue (Memory Lane Event Center), and we cannot say enough GREAT things about the team! Megan, the head chef went above and beyond the duties of a caterer to help us select a custom menu that accommodated all the needs of us and our guests! She went so far above the 'typical boring wedding food' you can get from other vendors. Vanessa was a great host and director, and invited us to multiple free events they were hosting, and really made us feel like family. Ashley over at the bakery made a phenomenal cake that got ooh'd and ahh'd over by everyone at the reception. We loved Root Cellar so much that every time we go to San Marcos we will be visiting their restaurant to eat their amazing food again!

Sent on 05/29/2018

Charles · Married on 05/10/2018

Excellent from start to finish.

Sent on 05/26/2018

Melissa · Married on 05/09/2018

They always do a FANTASTIC job catering our many events! They never disappoint :)

Sent on 05/07/2018

Lauren · Married on 04/21/2018

My wedding cake was very beautiful and delicious. It turned out so much better than I imagined, and I received many compliments.

Sent on 05/07/2018

Kelly · Married on 03/24/2018

The food was amazing and the venue was perfect for a group of about 25. Everyone had a wonderful time. The staff was awesome and very helpful.

Sent on 03/27/2018