Root and Stem Reviews

Root and Stem 5
  • Deborah

Deborah Rogers · Getting married on 09/26/2020

Outstanding Food & Service For Engagement Party

I can’t thank you and your team enough for making my son’s engagement party absolutely perfect. From the start of our planning discussions to the cleanup at the end of the night, you were all extremely professional, friendly, and helpful, and I couldn’t be happier that we retained you for this special occasion.

I really appreciated your creativity and flexibility in developing our menu and constant responsiveness to my ideas and change requests. From the hors d’oeuvres to the desserts, we ended up with the perfect menu and everyone couldn’t stop raving about the quality, variety and presentation of the food. In particular, our guests (and especially the happy couple) were very pleased with the vegetarian options and how seamlessly all the food choices worked together. The meal was topped off by delicious desserts and the celebratory carrot cake was as moist and tasty as I’ve ever had (again, our guests all raved!)

Everyone was also quite complimentary of your staff. From the moment of his arrival, Marcelo was extremely friendly, professional and accommodating. Junior did a great job tending bar and helping out throughout the party, and Claudia did an outstanding job in our garage kitchen. They were the right people for our party!

I can assure you I will recommend you to our friends and hope that we will have another opportunity to work with you. Sincere thanks and appreciation for making this a night and an event to remember.

Deborah R.
    Bethesda, MD

Sent on 06/12/2019
    Root and Stem 6
    Root and Stem 7
    Root and Stem 8
    Root and Stem 9

Delilah · Married on 10/24/2018

Highly Recommend! Everyone is still RAVING about our food....

My husband and I recently got married in Maine by ourselves, and decided to have an intimate reception for our closest family and friends on 11/3/2018. We are so glad we chose Root & Stem to be the center of our celebration - they were the best! Our choice was reconfirmed as soon as I began chatting with Christina. She was beyond helpful, informative, quick to reply, and always willing to work with me. She went above and beyond to tweak our menu to meet all of our needs. She catered to our extensive dietary restrictions (no dairy, no nuts, no sesame), our preference of bacon wrapped dates instead of figs and still delivered a spectacular and delicious display of food.

The day of was seamless because of her and her team! Our family and friends raved about how delicious, fresh and amazing our food was. Turnover between cocktail hour and our dinner was quick and easy, and her team ensured that everyone was taken care of throughout the evening.

For reference: we had charcuterie, bacon wrapped dates, and trio of shrimp for hors d'oeuvres. Followed by a pear salad, beef short rib, stripped bass, roasted potatoes, glazed tri-colored carrots, and brussels with pomegranate.

Sent on 11/07/2018

Meghan · Married on 09/22/2018

The BEST in the DC Metro area!

Having Root & Stem cater our Sept. 22 wedding was by far the best choice we made. First, the food was incredible and was exactly the same as what we tried at our tasting. I have so many guest come to me and tell me, "This is the best food I've ever had at a wedding!". The planning process was an absolute pleasure. Our coordinator was organized, professional, had great ideas, and really cared about our event. The day of EVERYTHING and I mean everything went smoothly and according to plan. The staff was friendly, hard working, and just all-around very nice people. Root and Stem will forever by my catering go-to in the DC Metro area. I can't say enough great things about this company!

Sent on 10/15/2018

Anna · Married on 09/16/2017

Our September 16th wedding had a fall seasonal/local theme, and Root & Stem was by far the best choice we made for our big day. We wanted the most important experience for our guests to be fantastic food, since we didn't have a big party with a DJ or band, which is not our style. Root & Stem succeeded. Our guests raved about the braised short rib served over sweet potato polenta.

During the run-up to the wedding, working with Christina was easy. She was quick to respond to emails and worked seamlessly with our day-of coordinator. Craig, the owner, was present at our tasting, venue walk-through, and even on the wedding day, so we received Root & Stem's full attention.

At the most important moment of our lives together so far, Root & Stem made our day. Thank you, Craig and Christina!

Sent on 09/29/2017

Sarah · Married on 06/17/2017

I highly recommend Root & Stem. We had them cater our wedding 6/17/17. Craig Currie and his team were all fantastic even starting from before the big day. We were able to invite another couple to do the tasting at his facility- which was excellent and beautifully decorated as well. After the tasting, I provided Craig with some of our preferences and requests for our wedding menu. Craig was 100% willing to adjust the menu to our liking and worked with me to add delicious gluten-free and vegan/vegetarian options to every course of the meal.

The staff were all amazing, kind, and efficient. Our cocktail hour needed to be cut short due to the heat, and Craig's team served dinner early without a hitch.

The food was excellent! We were so happy with the fresh and local ingredients used. Our guests kept telling us how amazing everything tasted all night and the next day. The place settings were beautiful, the food looked so perfect. And they did all this about 85 miles from their facility (the wedding was in Luray, VA).

The price matched the service and quality that we received. I highly recommend R&S!

Sent on 06/20/2017

Maria · event on 01/28/2017

This was easily the easiest event I've ever thrown. I wanted simple and elegant and flexibility on menu and I got exactly that! Deliveries were on time, staff was so helpful with everything that I was able to enjoy the evening. The food was delicious and we heard about it all night from our guests. I recommend highly Root and Stem.

Sent on 01/30/2017

Anna · Married on 03/29/2014

Craig and Tatiana with Root & Stem were extremely professional, helpful, flexible, and honest throughout the catering process. From the initial tasting to the day-of we couldn't have asked for anyone to take care of our big day any better. Not only was their customer service unparalleled, their food is fantastic! Most weddings we attend, we don't expect the food to be memorable, but Root & Stem's was. We have received so many compliments on the food from our guests. They also source all of their products from local farmers, which adds to the freshness and sustainability of their food.

We would recommend Root & Stem to any of our closest friends and family without hesitation.

For reference, we had their asparagus salad, prosciutto flat bread, beef short rib, Arctic char, fingerling potatoes for dinner with passed hors d'oeuvres and charcuterie & hummus platter during the cocktail hour.

Sent on 04/28/2014

Joseph · Married on 03/29/2014

We arranged, along with my son and his fiancé, for Root and Stem to cater our son's wedding and couldn't be happier with the results. Craig Currie, the owner, was very accommodating in providing us the best possible dining experience. After selecting entrees of artic char and short ribs from many options on his menu, he invited us to a tasting at his location which demonstrated the quality of his work, which is exceptional. At the wedding Craig's staff served 150+ guests hot meals family style in record time. We had a small glitch and guests were seated earlier than expected. Craig and his staff responded promptly and no one noticed the issue. There was more than enough to go around and the meals were every bit as good as at the tasting. The true test was the number of guests who were highly complimentary of the meal.
    Craig also arranged for tables, chairs, place settings, hors d'oeuvres, and staffed the bar. Everyone associated with Root and Stem were pleasant, professional and geared to provide a high quality experience. We highly recommend Craig Currie.

Sent on 05/14/2014

Court · Married on 10/19/2013

Root & Stem crafted a gorgeous feast of autumnal comfort foods, sprinkled with nods to our European and Chinese cultures, from a variety of requests, ideas, and inquiries. My husband and I thoroughly researched area catering companies, but upon meeting the co-founder Craig, learning of Root & Stem’s dedication to local and sustainable catering practices, and witnessing the Root & Stem entrepreneurial work ethic, we instantaneously made our decision. Judging from all of our guests’ remarks, the wait staff, customized hot cocoa table, and methodically picked regional microbrew selection were as impressive as the food was delicious. If you’re looking for more than Bland DC Vanilla, I suggest Root & Stem for a sweeter success.

Sent on 11/05/2013

Alexis · Married on 09/08/2013

I can't say enough great things about Root and Stem! Let's start with the food... We wanted a family style meal for our wedding and Craig quickly brainstormed with us options for this approach. We told him food that we liked to eat and he picked a menu that was perfect for us! Not only did we love the food, but our guests are still talking about the food...weeks later! We too had the short ribs and they were out of this world! Guests wanted more, and Root and Stem provided them with more, because they were soo good!

Craig also catered to my dietary needs, which was awesome in itself! His staff was exceptional as well, even bringing me the "bride signature cocktail" while I was breaking it down on the dance floor.

They were organized, on time, and cleaned up after themselves which our venue greatly appreciated!

I would HIGHLY recommend Root & Stem to any future bride and groom, especially "foodie" bride and grooms as their food is not only organic and fresh, but full of flavor and unique!

Sent on 09/22/2013

I coordinate many events for work and found this to be the best caterer I've worked with in ages. Great food, amazing staff, high-quality ingredients...everything was amazing!

Sent on 08/03/2013

We couldn't be happier with our decision to hire Root & Stem to cater our DC wedding for 130 people. To start, the food was exceptional. Ever since our tasting, I'd been drooling over the short rib entree we'd selected. The short ribs were the most tender I'd ever had, and several of our guests commented that this was the best wedding/catered food they'd ever eaten. Craig was also very accommodating of guests with special dietary restrictions, from vegan to low-calorie.

In addition to the delcious food was the exceptional service. Craig was responsive to our questions throughout the process, and helped organize the entire day. When we realized that construction across the street would make an ugly backdrop for our rooftop ceremony, Craig spent hours brainstorming possible solutions and subcontracted for rental plants to obstruct the view. Craig also did all the work in tracking down and subcontracting for renting an awesome black and white dance floor for us.

I'd recommend Root & Stem to anyone that asked!

Sent on 06/11/2013

Kelsey · Married on 09/12/2015

Let's just start here--our food was AMAZING! Our guests were raving about the steak, appetizers, drinks, etc. Craig was so easy to work with & super flexible. He basically created a custom menu for us, plus they use local ingredients and green practices which is important. Craig wasn't the best at responding to emails, so I found it was easiest to get in touch with via phone. In my contract with Root & Stem, I also had my choice of linens, glassware, and more from a rentals company. Craig was within my budget and I would definitely recommend him for other weddings in the DC area.

Sent on 04/24/2016

Caroline · Married on 10/07/2018

Fantastic Caterers!

Having amazing food at our wedding was the most important thing for my wife and I. We were lucky to have found Root and Stem, it was love at first sight! We had a cocktail style reception with a variety of small plates, a farmers market display, salad, and coffee bar. People did not leave hungry! The number one comment we received was about how amazing the food was. Everyone was really impressed! This is restaurant quality food, not typical wedding fare. Their presentation is impeccable, but their flavors are unforgettable. Two weeks later and people are still talking about how delicious and how much food there was.

Gina was absolutely fantastic to work with! She was on top of everything and made sure we were taken care of from start to finish. She helped come up with really delicious cocktails that were a total hit with the crowd and really complemented the menu items. During the reception she ensured that everything kept running smoothly and checked in with us frequently to make sure we had anything we needed at all times. Could not have possibly asked for a better coordinator!

Root and Stem will forever be our first choice when it comes to catering.

Sent on 10/20/2018
    Root and Stem 10

Kelli · Married on 09/23/2017

Chef Craig and Root and Stem made our wedding day so special and memorable for our guests. They were so flexible and personal, which we really appreciated. Even though as vendors, they are likely juggling many events, Craig at R&S made ours feel special through the process.

The dinner was amazing. Guests don't always expect much from wedding food, but our guests raved about the dishes. The menu was fresh and interesting, which we really appreciated.

I highly recommend Root and Stem! It was one of the best decisions we made in our wedding planning

Sent on 10/10/2017

When my now husband and I were planning our wedding reception we had a very specific vision of a long, family style dinner at farm tables with memorable food. We were so excited when we found Craig and Root and Stem Catering. Craig provided for us an incredible menu that completely met our expectations. Our guests raved about the food and many said it was the best wedding food they have ever had.

We enjoyed multiple courses including cold melon soup with coconut milk, pickled vegetables, three kind of deviled eggs, peruvian beets with yogurt, a tomato galette, bibb lettuce salad with haricot verts, cumin chicken thighs, tagliatelle with corn and mint, and braised short ribs. Craig also prepared delicious mini desserts for our event in lieu of a traditional wedding cake.

Not only was the food excellent, Craig took care of all the details to make sure everything was as we wanted. We couldn't have been happier with our big day!

Sent on 09/06/2014