Rev. Stephen Stahley Reviews

Rev. Stephen Stahley 6
Rev. Stephen Stahley 7
  • Shannon

Shannon · Married on 09/28/2019

One of the best decisions we made for our wedding

My family is very Catholic and as most Catholics know you can't get married outside and have it be viewed as legitimate in the Catholic church. I knew I wanted to get married outside but still have elements of a Catholic wedding / a priest do it. I also wanted it to be about 30 minutes instead of a full 60 minute mass :) Father Stephen Stahley became my answer to all of the above - but little did I know he would be SO much more. We had phone calls with a few priests and I knew immediately that Father Stephen was the one for us. He sent me an entire packet in the mail full of example ceremony structures, readings, etc. before we even decided to work with him! It was so extremely thorough and thoughtful and so symbolic of the way he continued to work with us. He is a part of CITI ministries and truly loves officiating weddings and getting to know couples. He is such a kind, warm soul and is so extremely thoughtful. Father Stephen met with my fiance and I multiple times before our wedding to get to know us. We had multiple coffee hangouts and light lunch chats. We even got to see him perform mass for Dignity (Washington DC's LGBTQA community) and at the mass they awarded him with an honor because of how much they love him. It was so truly moving. By the time our wedding came around - he knew so much about my fiance and I that it was like having a true friend marry us. He sent us so many sweet emails the year leading up to our wedding just checking-in, wishing us the best, praying for us, saying hello, etc. He also sent us a modern day Bible that translates the word into modern day meaning as a gift before our big day. He listened to all of our requests for our ceremony and included them all. My family LOVED him. I was pretty nervous about the idea of walking down the aisle and saying our vows in front of hundreds of people but one thing I will always remember is when I got up to the top of the aisle Father Stephen looked at me and he smiled and whispered "breathe". It allowed me to take a breath and really be present in the moment. He made our ceremony the perfect mixture of modern day elements and Catholicism. It was also done in 30 minutes flat which my guests were pumped about since it was so humid outside :) Father Stephen also said a beautiful blessing before our reception as well. If you want someone who truly cares about you as a couple - I can't recommend Father Stephen enough. I know that he is someone who will continue to be in my husband and my lives/hearts for the rest of our marriage. Thank you again for everything, Father Stephen :)

Sent on 10/15/2019

Rev. Stephen Stahley's reply:

Shannon, For the privilege of officiating your wedding and the wonderful friendship that grew over the year leading up to it, I'll be eternally grateful. Meeting your family, Brendan's family, and your good friends and sharing that time with them made me feel like a part of the family. The blessings that flowed from your celebration will keep reverberating for me as I go forward. With love and prayers, Stephen
  • Margaret

Margaret Hammer · Married on 08/18/2019

A wonderful man!

It was such a privilege to have Stephen officiate our marriage ceremony. This was a second marriage for us and he made our wedding service PERFECT! He was always there for us throughout the entire process - from the first time we met with him as a couple to share our story until the actual wedding. We couldn’t have asked for a better person to marry us!
    I met Stephen a little over 5 years ago as he performed my daughter and son in law’s ceremony which was absolutely perfect also. It couldn’t have meant more or been so special to have him again be a part of such an important time in our life!

Sent on 10/13/2019
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 8
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 9

Rev. Stephen Stahley's reply:

Margaret & Don, Being a part of your special day was such a grace and having the opportunity to reconnect with your family made it that much more significant for me. My happiness for you both was overflowing on that gorgeous day and I will always treasure the memories of that celebration. Love & prayers, Stephen

Rick Battersby · Married on 07/06/2019

Couldn't have asked for more - we were blessed to have found him.

Father Stahley was a true blessing to us. He is an example of what all priests should be. From the first moment we met him we knew he was the officiant we wanted and prayed for. 2 hrs later we were still talking to him without a moment of awkwardness. His calm presence and demeanor made the day all about us and made us feel completely at ease. We would have given him 10's if we could go that high. Don't worry about the choice - he was perfect for us and I suspect anyone else too.

Jeannie and Rick

Sent on 08/19/2019

Jeannie & Rick,
    Your lovely wedding ceremony in July was a gift of family joy and rare spiritual depth. It was such a privilege to get to know you and spend that time with your wonderful families through the wedding weekend. Thanks for everything!
    Steve

Jess M · Married on 06/29/2019

Amazing Officiant

Father Stahley officiated our wedding On 6/29/19, he was highly recommend to us. We meet with Father Stahley prior to the wedding and he was very professional, giving us his background and getting to know us. He worked with our schedule and was very good with communication throughout the whole process. The day of the wedding he was very helpful with the practice walk through and made suggestions to involve family members and friends. During the ceremony he would whispered “you guys are doing great” to keep us calm and he made us feel very comfortable standing at the alter. I would recommend Father Stahley to officiate any wedding. Jess and Mike

Sent on 08/16/2019

Jessica and Mike,
    I thoroughly enjoyed myself at your June wedding and felt so fortunate to get to know your family members during the reception. You prepared very well for the big day and all the parts came together beautifully. Over the months before the wedding, it was great to get to know you both. Thanks very much.

Robbie · Married on 06/14/2019

I would highly recommend Father/Rev Stephen Stahley

I would highly recommend Father/Rev. Stephen Stahley to any bride and groom looking for a very personable, kind, caring, supportive, and professional officiant. We are very happy with the decision we made with having Father/Rev. Stahley officiate our wedding ceremony because he created a very meaningful and special experience for my husband and I. He gave special and gracious remarks to our parents, family, and friends during the ceremony, he was very kind and uplifting to my son/ringbearer, Ryan, and he was very flexible with us adding our personal touch of a sand ceremony. He was very flexible during the prepping processes as we were able to met in person months prior to our ceremony to go over the details of our ceremony, the rehearsal, and he was very accessible/responsive to my emails through out. We are very happy we found an officiant who fulfilled our needs to officiate a ceremony that was religious yet in a waterfront/outdoor setting because we had many guest who attended our wedding that are religious. He was also flexible with doing non-spiritual weddings too. He was very thoughtful as he gave us a book that helped him through the years of his marriage with his wife. He also reached out to us after our wedding with special remarks. Our wedding ceremony was perfect and I would highly recommend Stephen to any bride or groom looking for a special wedding ceremony.

Sent on 09/06/2019
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 10
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 11
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 12
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 13
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 14

Haley Collis · Married on 04/05/2019

Steve is the best!

We are so happy that we met Steve and he was able to officiate our wedding! He was so helpful leading up to our wedding and full of great advise. He was very professional and helped make us feel as calm as possible leading up to the big day. Steve did a great job at officiating the perfect ceremony, exactly how we wanted it. We both highly recommend Steve!

Sent on 05/07/2019
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 15

Haley and Jack,
    Thanks so much for your very kind and gracious review. It was such a pleasure to get to know you and Jack and help you prepare for your wedding. The warmth and beauty of your celebration were gifts that touched everyone in attendance on that lovely Friday evening. I will always be grateful for the opportunity you gave me to officiate at that sacramental moment--it reminded me so powerfully of the reasons I became a priest. And meeting your families was a profound joy. Thanks again!
    Steve
  • wing.kara

Kara Grace Hibler · Married on 03/24/2019

Such an amazing wedding day!

Father Stahley was so amazing to work with! About 2 1/2 weeks before the wedding we found out we did not get approval for our priest to marry us and we needed to find an officiant fast. We wanted someone who would still be able to perform a modern religious ceremony for us and Father Stahley was perfect. He rearranged his Sunday church service to marry us. We met with him about a week before the wedding to go over everything. He was so easy to talk to and we felt great about our decision and the way everything had fallen into place. He arrived at the venue early on wedding day. He spoke with our older flower girl on where and when to come up for the blessing of the rings. The ceremony was so beautiful and we will remember March 24 for the rest of our lives.
    We cannot thank Father Stahley enough for everything he did for us!
    Our wedding video with Father Stahley featured during the ceremony

Sent on 04/25/2019
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 16
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 17
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 18
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 19

Kara,
    Thanks so much for your kind and gracious words. It was a joy and a privilege to officiate for you and Tyler. I so enjoyed the opportunity to get to know you and the members of both families. May the love that you and Tyler share continue to reflect the overwhelming love that God has for us all.

Misty · Married on 11/11/2018

Remarkable!!!!!

Couldnt have asked for a better person to marry us! From meeting together and keeping in touch via email, Father Steven made this experience remarkable! I am ever so grateful to have him in our lives now!

Sent on 11/14/2018

Rev. Stephen Stahley's reply:

Misty, What a joy it was to participate in the deeply beautiful ceremonies of your wedding weekend. I could never thank you and Chirag enough for the privilege you extended to me to serve as your officiant. The two of you and Javon have a special place in my Christmas prayers--blessings to you both during this sacred season,
  • Meaghan

Meaghan K Witri · Married on 10/06/2018

Stephen is the perfect officiant for any couple! We can't recommend him highly enough.

We had an absolutely outstanding experience with Stephen as our officiant. He took the time to get to know each of us and at every step of our wedding ceremony planning, he was available and responsive to all of our questions and requests. Our wedding ceremony was so beautiful, heartfelt and deeply spiritual and with Stephen's capacity for creating a sacred and uplifting ceremony, our expectations were exceeded in every way. We highly recommend Stephen as an officiant for any couple of any denomination or faith. He is skilled in tailoring a wedding ceremony to meet your individual needs and requests and brings insight and informed suggestions for those interested in creating their own wedding. We are deeply grateful for his willingness and commitment in supporting our choices and helping carry them out with such compassion and authentic sincerity.

Sent on 11/03/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 25
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 26

Kara · Married on 09/29/2018

An amazing officiant

Steve Stahley was absolutely wonderful and made our day extremely special. He was profressional, a great speaker and truly valued our vision with our ceremony. He sent us programs from other weddings he officiated which helped us figure out our own. He was patient and walked us through the ceremony beforehand (on the phone and at the rehearsal). He is so personable and it really added to our ceremony. He was very helpful with all of our questions as well. We highly recommend working with him!

Sent on 10/31/2018

Megan · Married on 08/11/2018

We are so glad that our paths crossed with Stephen. We wanted to have prayer involved in our ceremony, but didn’t want a traditional church wedding. We met with Stephen a few times prior to the big day and he worked with us to customize the ceremony exactly the way we imagined it. He is a great speaker and our ceremony was a beautiful reflection of us as a couple. His experience made the planning process very easy and we were confident everything would run smoothly. Stephen is very kind and thoughtful, even after the wedding is over. It is clear that he truly loves what he does and gets to know each couple before the big day. We'd highly recommend him.

Sent on 09/24/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 27
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 28
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 29

Stephanie · Married on 06/02/2018

We had a great experience with Rev. Stahley for our June wedding. He was very responsive and made everything much easier for us. We wanted a short but sweet wedding ceremony and he did just that! It was perfect and we highly recommend him!

Sent on 08/14/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 30

Crystal · Married on 05/06/2018

I was worried I would find a Catholic priest to officiate my rustic outdoor wedding. Thankfully I found Father Stahley! He is a retired Catholic priest so he was able to grant my wish. I found not only an officiant but a friend in him. From the start I felt comfortable and knew I could go to him with any problems that might arise. Even now, several months after my wedding I know I can reach out to him if need be. Thank you so much Father Stahley for participating in my special day! - Crystal Clark

Sent on 08/21/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 31

Summer Esslinger · Married on 03/24/2018

Comforting, kind, wise

We were so lucky to find Father Steven. My husband being Catholic, it was important to our family that we were married by a priest. However, we were not being married in a church. We found Steven on a website that listed former catholic priests who were now officiating non-denominational weddings. We met several months before the wedding to talk about our relationship, family, faith and our expectations for the ceremony. We felt comfortable with Steven immediately. We left our visit with him without a doubt in our mind that he was the one for us. I could email him whenever I needed to, he was prompt and professional. Day of wedding so many of my family members commented on how much they loved him. He emanates kindness and warmth. He is very experienced and was light and at ease during the entire ceremony. We’re very glad that he was a part of the most important day of our lives, we will never forget him!

Sent on 01/10/2019
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 32
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 33

Jill · Married on 12/31/2017

Stephen Stahley was amazing and we couldn’t have hoped for a better officiant for our ceremony! As a former priest, he seamlessly balanced the religious elements we were looking for with a progressive ceremony outside of the church. We met about 5-6 months before our ceremony, which provided an opportunity for Steve to learn about us and what we wanted for our ceremony. In the months leading up to the ceremony, he promptly responded to any questions we had and truly listened to what we wanted. By drawing on his prior experiences, he was able to provide input about how to structure the ceremony. In the days leading up to the ceremony, he provided words of comfort and on the day of the ceremony he was there to calm our nerves. He made our families and friends feel welcomed and was the perfect fit for us and the ceremony we envisioned.

We HIGHLY recommend him!

Sent on 08/21/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 34

Teresa Miller · Married on 12/31/2017

Stephen- an A+ officiant!

Stephen officiated at the wedding of our Godson and his wife last New Year's Eve. He did a superb job and made all of the guests feel a part of the couple's happy event. His remarks at the rehearsal and at the ceremony and his attention to detail were just perfect! The Bride, Groom and their parents were so pleased and felt so comfortable with Steve. Steve took great care of everything for the wedding ceremony and all were delighted and grateful! We highly recommend Steve! By the way, Steve performed our marriage 38 years ago and we are still going strong! Stephen Stahley is the BEST!

Sent on 10/31/2018

Kelly · Married on 09/03/2017

Perfect is the only word that comes to mind when remembering our officiant, Father Stahley. We were married in my backyard, and I knew I wouldn't be able to have a Catholic priest marry us outside of the church. I was very apprehensive to hire an officiant not affiliated with Catholicism. Coincidentally, my now husband's parents have an old friend who is a former Catholic priest, but left the church to marry a nun! He is part of CITI ministries, which is comprised of a lot of other former Catholic priests who also left the church to pursue marriage, or other reasons. The particular friend of the family was not available on our Wedding date, but he referred us to Father Stahley. Instantly, we were so comfortable with him. We set up a phone call to get to know each other, and we ended up talking for an hour! He checked in with us several times over the months leading up to the wedding, mostly over email since we are located in Vegas. He also shared suggestions on readings, not just only biblical and the normal wedding verses, but passages from books he thought would be more attractive to John and me. He drove an hour up for our rehearsal in Frederick, and sat and talked with my family like we had known him for years. During our rehearsal, he talked us through cues of what he would not only say, but what he would be whispering to us privately to keep us calm during the expected emotions of the following day. I am actually an event planner and formerly did weddings, and non of the officiants I worked with came close to his thoroughness and personal touch. We gave him some free range in the filler parts of the Ceremony, and he just killed it. Some of the things he had to say were so unexpected and just perfect, and again, like he had known us and our families for years. He also gave an impromptu blessing before dinner. We were simply blown away and adore him! You can hear some of his voice over in our video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwF5xEdGyc.

Sent on 08/17/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 35
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 36
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 37
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 38

Margaret · Married on 08/26/2017

We absolutely loved working with Stephen. Finding an officiant was obviously a huge part of our day. My husband and I have different religious beliefs, and I was nervous finding someone who could incorporate both sides. He was so accommodating, understanding, and was able to bridge our differences flawlessly. He was so easy to work with and met up with us before the big day several times to get to know us. He asked questions about our families and really sought to understand our personal story. He is unbelievably kind and willing to work with exactly what you want for the ceremony. He also gives direction for those who don't have a clear idea of what they want. We would work with him again in a heart beat, and he was a wonderful part of our perfect day. Book him today!

Sent on 08/27/2018

Jessica · Married on 06/17/2017

Excellent and incredible human!!!! I cannot say enough good things about how genuine, caring and kind Stephen Stanley is. Very responsive, available and timely. Great with his words and truly one-of-a-kind!

Sent on 07/20/2017

Rachel Link · Married on 06/03/2017

Wonderful officiant! Couldn't be happier!

We had a wonderful experience meeting and having Reverend Stahley officiate our wedding. He is kind, compassionate, and incredibly easy to work with. He made time to talk over the phone, meet us in person, and correspond over email to get to know us and personalize the ceremony to us. He's someone that makes you feel like you've known him for your entire life even after only one meeting. His experience made the process easy, and he took care of submitting the paperwork to get our marriage license after the wedding. I strongly recommend having Reverend Stahley officiate your wedding!

Sent on 12/16/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 39
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 40

Rev. Stephen Stahley's reply:

Rachel, Thanks so much for the lovely review. Getting to know you and Derek and having the opportunity to share that incredible weekend with your families were true gifts that I will always treasure. I so appreciate that you took the time during this hectic holiday season to post this thoughtful review. Prayers, love, and best wishes to you both and everyone in the family. Stephen

Alexandra · Married on 05/20/2017

Stephen was everything we could have possibly wanted in an officiant! He was easy to communicate with, took the time to get to know us, and helped us plan a ceremony that truly reflected who we are as a couple. You can tell how much he loves his job and cares about ensuring your wedding day goes as smoothly as possible. He put us completely at ease on our big day and we are so happy we found him on Wedding Wire!

Sent on 06/03/2017

Amy · Married on 10/15/2016

Stephen - William and I want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all that you did to lead us to our special day. We could not have done it without you. We highly recommend you to engaged couples looking for an officiant for their wedding. We hope to keep in touch with you! William and Amy Johnson

Sent on 11/04/2016

Marc · Married on 09/17/2016

We felt so lucky and blessed to find Rev. Stephen. From our first meeting it was apparent that he was interested in our story , and very caring and engaging. My bride planned an outdoor wedding and left it up to me to find an officiant. I was raised Catholic and she Buddhist, so having Rev. Stephen help develop a mostly Catholic type ceremony to please my family and relatives and also a Buddhist blessing delivered by him in English and then in Mongolian by a bridesmaid for her family really came together beautifully. Thank you so much Rev. Stephen.

Sent on 08/25/2018
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 41
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 42
    Rev. Stephen Stahley 43

DANA · Married on 06/18/2016

Words cannot express how truly wonderful it was to have Rev. Stephen Stahley perform our ceremony. As divorced Catholics parents, we instantly were drawn to the fact that he was a former priest and upon reading his bio, I hoped that he would be available to marry us. Once we met Rev. Steve, we immediately hit it off and found the sheer joy, interest and compassion that he brings to interacting with people to be boundless.

The ceremony was beautiful. Rev. Steve touched on the themes of family and included the children in the ceremony so that they each felt special and part of the event...part of the new family.

We asked that he stay for the reception as I knew that everyone would love him. He was more than a hit. My extended family is enamored of him and my aunt is looking to have him perform the ceremony when my cousin marries his fiancée.

Having Rev. Steve perform the lovely ceremony and then speak with guests with genuine interest was absolutely fabulous. We love him!

Sent on 06/21/2016

I am not a person who writes reviews. Given that, it was my responsibility based on my experience. Rev. Stephen Stahley “Rev. Steve”, was the perfect choice for our wedding. We initially looked into him as we are Catholic and this is our second marriage. Given the fact that he is a former priest, our interest was sparked. Within minutes of meeting, my wife and I were sold- Rev. Steve was the right choice for us. Rev. Steve met with us and we were immediately impressed! It was supposed my wife and I finding out about him. He told us about him. My wife and I were questioned about “us”. Rev. Steve took the time to get to know us, what we wanted, and any special things that he would need to know. It was a genuine conversation, which was evident during our ceremony. When Rev. Steve walked back to his car, my wife and I did not need to have a discussion. We looked at each other and said, “Wow! Did you feel the same connection I did?”

There ceremony was beautiful! Rev. Steve did not hear what we had talked about…he “listened”. He incorporated themes and messages that were important to us. Rev. Steve did not see us as another couple “getting married again”. He looked at us as the couple “we are” and it was evident.
    People may think that “we were so in love, that no matter what, it will be great”. This is not us, as this is not our first marriage. A true testament to how Rev. Steve made this day special, is the number of people who gravitated to him and had great conversations. Mingling among our guests, it was often overheard, just how good Rev. Steve was. In addition, there were many conversations with us that solidified our connection and a realization that what is important to us, is important to Rev. Steve.
    My wife and I would like to thank Rev. Stephen Stahley for making this a beautiful day for us. You not only listened to what we said, but you connected with us and our guests. You are clearly a rare gem, and we are forever grateful!

Sent on 06/23/2016