Real Food Catering Reviews

Real Food Catering 3
Real Food Catering 4
Real Food Catering 5

Lauren · Married on 11/19/2016

THANK YOU for everything that you did to make our wedding such a success. Our friends and family could not stop raving about the food (they are still talking about it - especially those lamb chops)! I am so appreciative for your time, guidance, collaboration and hard work to make it everything that I hoped for. We cannot thank you enough and just loved working with you. We are so lucky to have been recommended to you. Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for everything!

Sent on 01/03/2017

David · Married on 11/13/2016

After searching for a vendor to cater our wedding for nearly 3 months, we were so fortunate to have come across Gary & Yen. All the other caterers we met with had something we had to "compromise." Whether it was the exorbitant up-charge of having coffee, or if it was any hidden charges we had to quibble about, there was always something. With Gary & Yen, the word "fair" is an understatement. Their professionalism, quality, and attention to detail are all top-notch- on the same level as the much more expensive caterers of NYC. By the end of our experience, my wife and I were left in awe. It's rare to find a vendor who is genuinely committed to making sure your event is a hit. They provided numerous recommendations to make sure our wedding was stellar, from the food, to the band, and even negotiating with our other vendors to ensure we were taken care of. To find a caterer that truly goes above and beyond is rare, but you'll know right away that it's in their blood to provide that kind of service.

Sent on 12/11/2016

Monica · Married on 11/12/2016

We could not have been happier with our choice of Real Food Catering. Yen and Gary are amazing to work with- super professional, helpful, and actually transparent about where your money is going, which we found really helpful. The food was out of this world, and we got a million compliments. Yen and Gary worked with us to choose a menu that really reflected us as a couple, helped craft the reception timeline, and were flexible with working with outside vendors for our cake and alcohol. Hire them immediately!!

Sent on 01/04/2017

kristin · Married on 10/29/2016

Yen and Gary are the best of the best. We knew the moment we met them, that they were the ones that were going to make our special day spectacular. Not only are they warm, genuine, and calming (during a typically stressful year of planning); but they are professional, personable and take that extra step to make sure everything is perfect. My husband and I chose a raw space, that we had to piece together vendor by vendor. This was a daunting task at first, but Gary and Yen helped to make it all come together, and when the day arrived, our jaws fell to the floor. We were blown away by how seamless the day went, how attentive everyone was to us and our guests. Gary and Yen just GOT us. They got our vision. They nailed it, spot on.

Their staff is extremely professional and courteous. Aside from Gary making sure my husband and I were happy and comfortable all night, they had 2 other staff members constantly checking on us to make sure everything was as perfect as it could be. There were tons of appetizers being passed around the room. There was never a moment where a guest had to go in search of food. The drinks were flowing, and lines never formed at the bars. All important aspects to a wedding, if you ask me. Gary and Yen just know the game, and know how to run one smooth wedding. Our guests raved about our food. From the appetizers (truffle grilled cheeses, pork buns, tuna tartare, among many more) to the seated dinner (buttermilk fried chicken & ribeye steak) every single guest was beyond satisfied. Even the side dishes were just fantastic.

Truthfully, my husband and I are so sad the day is over for many reasons, but a huge reason is that we no longer get to work with Gary and Yen. They truly became our friends throughout the process. We will miss them and will be forever grateful for helping us put together the wedding of our dreams. We couldn't have done it without them.

Sent on 11/28/2016

Lizzie · Married on 10/15/2016

I've tried starting this review many times and I'm still not quite sure how to start. Someone else has already said this in their reviews, but before the wedding my fiance and I would sincerely discuss how sad it would be to get married and not get to be in touch with them on the regular. If you have the chance to work with Yen and Gary, run don't walk! Book them now!!
    I found Real Food through WeddingWire, and called them in January for a wedding in October. Right away Yen was warm and excited, and somehow seemed as sincerely stoked about my engagement as I was, which is an incredible accomplishment when you handle as many weddings as she and her team must handle. We chatted about our life stories and she immediately had recommendations for a VERY broad menu that combined our Thai background, his love of Maine comfort food, and my need to drink like a fish. Within just a few days we had a menu proposal, a tentative day-of schedule, budget and rental estimations. Over the next ten months, we traded piles of emails and got to enjoy a huge taste-test with two other couples in the gorgeous Broadway Rentals showroom. Yen and Gary helped us expand our vision while chiseling down the details at the same time, and their patience, professionalism and true kindness just bowled us over. When ideas wouldn't work, we were told. Real Food sincerely wanted us to have a great day, they weren't just nodding along with every whim we had, suggestions came from a place of experience and a real sincere desire to help us have a great wedding.
    Day of, Gary successfully rescued us from several too-long conversations and whisked us to the back where he had appetizer plates and much-needed privacy on hand. He was such a friend to us THROUGHOUT. The staff was on point: even instructing our tipsy, clueless selves on how to cut+feed cake to each other as the cake was wheeled out. Yen and Gary truly became family throughout the entire process and we'd book them again and again if we could.

Sent on 01/09/2017

Anna · Married on 10/09/2016

Having rented an event space for our big day instead of using an event hall and not having a wedding planner, Yen and Gary from Real Food Catering were the perfect guides to perfection on our big day. They were both very instrumental in ensuring that everything for our reception ran smoothly and the way we wanted. As for the food, we couldn’t have been happier. From the appetizers to the dessert, it was everything that we could have asked for and more! Not only did the food taste better than at any other wedding we’ve been to (and not just saying that because it was our wedding), the presentation of the food was truly professional and was along the lines of what you might find in a top restaurant. With Yen and Gary’s help in meticulously planning every turn of our reception, my husband and I found the time to sit and really enjoy the food that the team worked so hard to put together. Our guests agreed that the food was played a very big part in the success of our wedding and are still talking about it three months later. We’ll truly miss working with Yen and Gary as they were both a special part of our wedding and the time leading up to it.

Sent on 01/07/2017

Jonathan · Married on 10/08/2016

Perfection doesn't really quite paint a vivid enough picture.

Yen and Gary are exquisite. There is not much more to say than that.

Some advice I can offer:

-Book them early
    They are by far the least expensive caterers you will find for a quality you don't honestly find often, regardless of price point. If they are available. BOOK IT. NOW.

- Trust them and Use them
    They cook delicious food. While I don't want to commit them to more than they technically offer, Yen is wonderful and very very helpful. Meaning, if the menu won't work or if the timing is all wrong she will tell you. Believe what she has to say. If she says something is not worth it or the vibe won't match the cuisine. Just trust her.

-They just make good food.
    We wanted a Korean influenced dinner at our wedding; a Hispanic/British flair for canapés. A very odd mix to say the least and they knocked all three cuisines out of the park. At the risk of sounding snobbish, there were 3 Michelin star rated chefs in attendance, all three made it a point to say it was the best food they had ever eaten at a wedding.
    Further, even the staff relished the opportunity to eat something other than the "chicken or the fish" that was made well.

They are smart, caring people who want this to be as personal and special as you do.

Sent on 11/20/2016

Andrea · Married on 09/30/2016

I cant even begin to describe how amazing it was working with Yen and Gary of Real Food Catering. They are more than "just a caterer." I really dont think my wedding would have been as perfect if it wasnt for them, and I definitely wouldnt have had as much fun because I would be worrying about everything. Yen and Gary and their team took all the stress off my shoulders, not just the day of, but the whole wedding planning process.

The food was out of this world, and they really went above and beyond to deliver exactly what we wanted! They made special dishes just for us to fit in with the Mediterranean flare we wanted the menu to have. It's been almost a month since our wedding, and we are still getting compliments about how delicious the food was (ohhh lamb chops I still think about you). Not only was the food perfect, but so was the service and rest of the staff.

From now on I will only recommend Real Food as an events caterer going forward to anyone. Real Food Catering is the best in the business, and they really know what they are doing. Not to mention Yen and Gary are wonderful people and I miss interacting with them and bothering them with all my questions!

Sent on 10/26/2016

We got married on 9/18. We were able to customize our menu, adding a bit of Korean and Argentinian influences. In the end, we got nothing but rave reviews from our guests regarding the delicious food as well as the professional and courteous servers. We were planning this wedding from California so I was insanely anxious but every time we met with Yen and Gary in NYC, I felt more at ease. In the end we had the perfect wedding thanks to this amazing team.

Sent on 09/27/2016

Lauren · Married on 09/16/2016

I can't say enough about Yen and her team. From the delicious food to the incredible service. Yen is amazing to work with. Extremely friendly, flexible, and professional. We got married at 501 Union and our guests raved about the food. Everyone was stuffed! We only met with one other caterer which was much more expensive and the food was good but not our style. We loved Yen's approach to classic dishes yet keeping it modern and elegant. Perfect food and caterer!

Sent on 10/18/2016

Maya · Married on 08/27/2016

I am still unable to put into words the level of appreciation and love I have for Yen and Gary at Real Food Catering. We reached out to them before we had a venue, we were greeted with the nicest most professional emails from the beginning. We ended up booking the Foundry in LIC, a venue they were very familiar with, you know you've picked a great caterer when your venue says "you've picked the dream team". They continuously went above and beyond to give us other vendor suggestions for different aspects of our wedding. Yen and Gary never put any limitations on any of our wedding foodie dreams, in fact they encouraged them. When we first met we walked away with a menu that made us drool, who knew wedding food could incorporate fried chicken, truffle mashed potatoes and more!!! Their level of professionalism make them an unbeatable duo, we could not have accomplished half of what we did without their help. Yen and Gary are an amazing team, and their staff is the absolute same. I 100% suggest you hire them immediately, and I suggest you use their day of coordinator services. Almost a month later, I still have people complimenting me about our wedding food, and it feels great! I am still having Yen and Gary withdrawals, and am actively coming up with new events just so we can hire them again!!!

Sent on 09/21/2016

Nancy · Married on 07/02/2016

Yen and Gary are an absolutely unbeatable team who somehow manage to do everything just right! Our guests -- many of whom are self-avowed "foodies"-- have not stopped raving about the food. From appetizers to desserts, Yen ensured that every morsel was a treat to behold. As our designated Day Of person, Gary's absolutely unflappable calm and seemingly magical ability to make things happen meant that we could have a great time at our own party without worrying about a thing. Perfect!!!!!

Sent on 08/10/2016

Real Food Catering was the absolute best choice we made while planning our wedding. They made everything (and I really mean everything - chairs, floor plans, timeline, not to mention FOOD) seem so easy, and I can't imagine the amount of work that actually went into all those details. The food was fantastic and different, way above your typical wedding fare. Yen and Gary are not just phenomenal at their jobs. but they are seriously good people. Meeting with them felt like sitting down and chatting with super organized friends. We are astounded with the quality of service this team provides, and the entire staff they brought with them was top notch; every single server, bartender, etc. had a smile on their face throughout the whole night and they could not do enough to make sure us and our guests were happy. This is obviously a well-organized, perfectly managed business, and we HIGHLY recommend them.

Sent on 06/29/2016

Bonnie · Married on 05/28/2016

We had absolutely no clue going into wedding planning what it was all about. We...i made a lot of decisions during the wedding process and the easiest decision was selecting our caterers, Real Food Catering. I reached out to three and Yen/Gary easily stood out from the rest. It also helped knowing they were a preferred vendor of the Foundry (our wedding venue) and had and continue to win awards annually since they've started. My husband and I are probably one of the worst couples to work with. We always feel bad for whoever works with us. We perform detail level of diligence whenever we make a decision in life but Yen made the job easy for us. She responded to all my inquiries promptly. Sometimes responding at 2 in the morning. Her level of client service impressed me even before we booked her. When it came to selecting dishes for cocktail hour, reception, dessert etc i was lost. There was a comprehensive list of dishes for each segment of the wedding from all types of cuisines to choose from. Yen gave us a lot of suggestions/input and basically told us she can make anything we wanted. When we went to the tasting - we were even more impressed. It was a cute setup with two other couples at the Foundry's Albra room. They served wine, ten types of hors d'oeuvres, and different entrees she created for each couple. It was a great time and the food was amazing especially the hors d'oeurves. The tasting confirmed our thoughts that selecting them was a great decision. But it did not stop there, not only are they first a caterer but they also act as a pseudo planner. I did not hire a planner but with Yen/Gary i did not need one. They knew the foundry so well they gave us suggestions on table layout, wedding day timeline, ceremony process, and dealt with all my furniture rental. The level of attention to detail, care and professionalism Yen/Gary had displayed is rare. They will make your wedding day dreams come true if you select Real Foods as your caterer!

Sent on 06/02/2016

Kazumi · Married on 04/25/2016

We first met Yen and Gary with just our wedding date and a venue, nothing else. We had a vague idea of what kind of wedding we want to do, but nothing specific. They gave us so many ideas, suggestions, plans and options, according to our budget, cultural background and what kind of crowd we're gonna have. We were so caught up with work, but Yen and Gary were so patient and kind enough to follow up with each details we had to go through before the wedding.
    Our wedding was such an amazing day for us, for our parents and for our friends! Everyone loved the food, everyone kept saying the best dinner at a wedding they ever attended!!! We feel so lucky and fortunate that we found the Real Food Catering!!!!! Recommending everyone I know whose planning to have a wedding in New York City!

Sent on 10/05/2016

Ketrin · Married on 04/22/2016

We loved it! Thank you! We recommend to all!

Sent on 11/06/2016

Emily · Married on 04/16/2016

We are so grateful to Yen, Gary and the whole Real Food Catering team for making our wedding day so special and we cannot recommend them highly enough. We had our ceremony and reception in April 2016 at Studio 450, an empty loft space where you need to bring everything in yourself. Yen and Gary work there all the time and knew the space inside and out. In addition to preparing and serving the amazing food, Yen and Gary helped us with the planning/coordination and took care of all the details, rentals, and logistics. Yen and Gary understood our style and knew exactly what to suggest and how to guide us. They provided several vendor referrals -- including our florist, calligrapher and photobooth rental -- and we were thrilled with them all. On the day of the wedding, everything ran smoothly and seamlessly, and the two of us and both of our families truly felt like stress-free guests at our own wedding. So many guests raved to us about the food and said it was the best they've ever had at a wedding. The creative and delicious hors d'oeuvres were a huge hit (especially the pork buns, chicken and waffles, and truffle grilled cheese with tomato soup!!!), the entrees were perfectly done, and the bar ran so smoothly. Many couples don't end up eating the food at their own wedding, but we are so glad we did! Gary was so sweet to us and to our families, and he took care of so many personal details -- finding a family member's purse, fixing a mistake we had made on the seating chart, reminding us to eat when the entrees came out... the list is endless. Honestly, everything Yen and Gary did was perfect and we wouldn't change a thing about our wedding day thanks to them. They are professional, efficient, organized and experienced and also they are just truly lovely people. Choosing Real Food Catering was hands down one of the best decisions we made for our wedding and working with Yen and Gary was an absolute pleasure!

Sent on 07/06/2016

Stephanie · Married on 04/09/2016

We could not have imagined a more spectacular event. Yen and Gary we attentive and communicative and it made the wedding planning a breeze. They coordinated with our other vendors too. Yen's DOC people were incredible and they were especially attentive to us. The bar tenders kept the drinks coming, they made strong drinks and were so nice, a perfect combination.

Now for the food...oh lord the food. People did not stop talking about the food. Philadelphia natives enjoying Yen's version of a cheese steak, perfectly cooked salmon and those lobster rolls. We want to have another wedding just so Real Food Catering can feed us again.

Sent on 05/13/2016

Joanne · Married on 04/09/2016

We could not have been happier with the food and the service provided by Yen, Gary and the staff. Working with them was such a pleasure. They are so detail oriented and on top of everything. As the Mother of the Bride, I was the main wedding planner, which meant my mind was crammed with a million to-do things. Real Food did all the thinking for me when it came to the catering. They always were contacting me to make sure I was up to date with everything. And they were also in contact with all my other vendors so they could coordinate everything with them.
    As far as the food, my guests (which included a lot of major 'foodies") couldn't stop raving. And the price point is unbelievable.
    Without a doubt, Real Food Catering made my daughter's wedding a HUGE success!

Sent on 07/11/2016

Maria · Married on 04/09/2016

The best catering company ever!

Yen and Gary are truly professionals! From the get go they knew how to manage the whole event without being bossy or overpowering. They have an amazing range of options that would fit into any style of event. They helped us plan the whole wedding and offered such amazing suggestions. The tasking was just magical and we had a hard time deciding which were the best appetizers/ dishes/ etc. (If you book them, do not miss out on the special coffee shot they offer.
    They are a joy to work with and made our wedding truly unforgettable!

Sent on 01/02/2019
    Real Food Catering 6
    Real Food Catering 7

Sylvia Amor · Married on 04/02/2016

My husband and I were crazy enough to decide on creating our wedding from scratch at the beautiful blank canvas that was Studio 450. We were concerned on whether we could pull it off but were relieved as soon as we booked with Real Food Catering. We ABSOLUTELY recommend them! From the first email, we could see how extremely organized and transparent they were with their proposal in which you know exactly what you are getting with no detail left unturned. We could also sense how warm, professional and approachable they were with their tone in their e-mails/phone calls as well as how promptly they respond.
    Yen and Gary were flexible enough to help us fulfill our vision as well practical enough to let us know if things were out of budget or would simply not work. We had decided to skip the florist and make our own décor and they helped with the design of our wedding (i.e. table décor/color scheme). They had also helped us research shaved ice vendors which we wanted as a personal touch to our wedding. We wholeheartedly trusted their guidance and they made every step of wedding planning easy and fun.
    Our wedding was beyond anything we could imagine. Everything was AWESOME! The timeline flowed flawlessly thanks to the Real Food Catering staff who were efficient, coordinated and welcoming. The Coordinator of the day and Gary were wonderful at rallying our party when needed and kindly reminding us of our timeline. Yen and her team provided food so AMAZING that our guests were stalking the kitchen during cocktail hour. I’m actually still dreaming about those pork buns with cucumber slaw and would throw another wedding just to have their food again!

Sent on 07/04/2016

Stacy · Married on 03/20/2016

Our daughters wedding was March 20th, 2016. To say the event was amazing is clearly because I am at a loss for other words to describe the evening. Having said that, I can honestly say the wedding was the magical celebration it was, because of Yen and Gary of Real Food Catering. After speaking to a few caterers early on, we knew after five minutes with them they were the ones we wanted to cater the wedding. They listen, they care, they follow through and they execute. They make gentle suggestions when you may want something that doesn't work, and they make things work that you want that maybe a bit unconventional. They coordinate the day of perfectly and flawlessly, and you do not need a wedding coordinator to attend your event. Gary arrives with a printout of who even stands where for the processional and is attentive to everything, every minute of the day. Yen is a very talented caterer with creative knowledge. She is gentle and smart. She has clearly trained the servers to have a great respect for serving professionally and impressively.
    As an aside, two days before our wedding our daughter and I got an email from Yen that she is sure we saw the nasty weather report and not to worry, it all works out fine! She never failed to communicate about everything and always in a most timely manner and a reassuring demeanor.
    Now that the wedding is over, I can unequivocally state that there is no caterer in NYC that can accomplish what Yen andGary accomplish at the level of caring and deliciousness, as well as value for your money than these two do, none.
    Do not hesitate to hire them for your special day. You will be glad you did for many years to come!

Sent on 03/29/2016

I'm almost at a loss for words with Yen and Gary...these two are literally the BEST. We really lucked out with Yen and her fabulous company. They are SO MUCH MORE than a catering company. The food was INSANE - so delicious. We wanted fun, creative appetizers and people are still raving about the food a month later. We wanted the entrees served very hot and we saw steam coming out of everyone's plates. Gary served as our coordinator for the day and literally everything was flawless. They make an incredible team. They helped with the day's timeline, the flow of the evening, seating charts and furniture placement. I am 100% sure that the only reason everything was so seamless was because of them. LOVE and HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Sent on 04/17/2016

Alexandra · Married on 03/05/2016

Yen and Gary are the absolute best! From our very first meeting I knew they would make our dream wedding a reality. Both of them are such warm, caring, & funny people. Every email, meeting, and decision we made with them was easy and enjoyable. My husband and I are both foodies and take our food very seriously, which they were very understanding and supportive about. They made sure we chose the right food for our foodie tastes and even let us get creative with our selections for cocktail hour and the bar! Yen & Gary always did their best to accommodate anything we asked for and were very understanding about our guests backing out at the last minute. The wedding day went off with a hitch - their staff was wonderful and not a thing went wrong (at least not that I know of!). Everything was delicious and we received endless compliments about the food. The bartenders and wait staff provided excellent service and were very attentive to everyone's needs, especially my husband and I at our sweetheart table. Yen & Gary took care of EVERYTHING and made sure things went smoothly and according to plan. Our guest attendance was lower than we had planned for and so, we had ordered a cake that was much too large. Yen and Gary packed it up in Chinese takeout boxes and handed it to guests on their way out at the end of the night, which was such a nice touch and all the guests were so excited to be able to take cake home! Yen & Gary really take care of it all, leaving nothing for the bride & groom to worry about. They were a pleasure to have at my wedding as well, just for their smiling faces and warm hugs! I was sad to say goodbye to them when it was all over, as I felt like we had created a special bond throughout the entire wedding process and that I could truly call them my friends! Real Food is the only way to go if you're having a wedding in NYC - not only is the food outstanding, prices reasonable, and the service top notch, but Gary & Yen are very special people too!

Sent on 04/02/2016

regina · Married on 12/05/2015

I can't imagine what our wedding would have been like without Yen and Gary. The food was insanely good (and I still, 3 months later, have people telling me the shrimp at our cocktail hour was the best they've ever had), but the food was only the beginning of it. I don't know if the caterers are always the cornerstone of every wedding, but Yen and Gary walked us through every minute of the wedding and made sure that everything came together perfectly. They helped us figure out what we needed bring, who would sit and stand where during the ceremony, the timing for the ceremony music and so much more. They were there for every moment of mild panic on the big day and had a solution for every "problem" (like Gary's genius move of using a light bulb in place of a glass to break at the chuppah, when I realized that was something that slipped from my to-do list). They ran out to get more alcohol when we started running low. They made sure the speeches went smoothly. They brought snacks to the wedding party before the ceremony began and left snacks in the bridal suite for my husband and I post-ceremony (with adorable notes). THEY DID EVERYTHING. I could not recommend a vendor more, nor could I have been more sad to say goodbye to them on our wedding night. Seriously, you cannot do better than Yen and Gary. They are so professional and just know their business so well. They have an answer to everything and will become your favorite people along the way. My husband and I really looked forward to each of our meetings with Yen and Gary and know that our wedding will not be the end of the road with them. They really are the best.

Sent on 02/23/2016