Party Favors Reviews

68 | Brookline, MA

68 Reviews for Party Favors

• Michelle

Michelle · Married on 04/22/2012

Our cake was phenomenal. It was beautiful, and it was delicious. Really, really fantastic. Our guests are still talking about it, five months later! The staff was friendly, and they allowed us unlimited complementary tastings after we signed (and they were very generous with the size of the tasting cakes). They give a complementary first anniversary cake, so that you don't have to keep the top tier in the freezer. My only complaint was that their price structure was unclear, but in the end we got what we wanted for a reasonable price. We had a marble cake, chocolate buttercream filling (worth the extra $50), and regular buttercream frosting, with a basic design. Yay Party Favors!

Sent on 09/21/2012
  • Y

Yim · Married on 08/02/2009

I couldn't stop jumping up and down and saying, "I LOVE my cake." John did an amazing, incredible, awesome job on our cake. We had a specific customized cake in mind. When we talked to John, he saw our vision. When we saw our cake, it surpassed all our expectations! Party Favors is a busy store so sometimes you might feel overlooked but we are so glad we went with them. Everybody still talks about the cake. The cake makes me so happy everytime I think about it.

Sent on 08/11/2009

Maria · Married on 07/06/2003

the cake was delicious and beautiful, I still get comments from my guests. Many told me they never remember wedding cakes, but really liked the taste of ours. The store listened to our idea, and made the cake looking very romantic and gentle, delivery was prompt. Would recommend to a friend.

Sent on 12/27/2007
  • HIS

Hillel · Married on 07/06/2003

The cake was delicious! We had three layers with different fresh fruit each. The cake looked amazing as well. The lady who helped us select the cake and gav us pieces to taste was very nice, and answered all of our questions. The cake was delivered on time, and we did not even have to worry about that. I highly recommend these people.

Sent on 06/07/2008

Lilac · Married on 10/10/2009

We loved party favors cakes. It was a no brainer when we were considering vendors to pick Party favors, and the cakes (we had 2) were DELICIOUS. They did a wonderful job with the buttercream and ganache (I hate fondant), and made one more traditional cake, and one goofy one which we absolutely adored. Jonathan, at party favors, was instrumental in making the designs and costs come together (thanks!!)

My only beef with them is that the cake arrived a bit later than we had agreed - moments before the wedding started. Gladly, I was shielded from this by my wonderful friends, but it should be noted in a review. Alls well that ends well, though. And this ended with a pile of TASTY CAKE.

Sent on 11/20/2009

Brenda · Married on 09/12/2009

3.0

Our cake was delicious! The great thing about Party Favors is after your initial meeting, they let you come back to pick up several other flavors to try so you can really find the right combination of flavors and fillings (and have lots of delicious cake along the way). Although it's tradition to freeze the top layer, we decided to enjoy ours and ate it after coming back from our honeymoon. So good!

Sent on 10/29/2009

Jessica · Married on 01/30/2009

3.5

Party Favors did a great job with our wedding cake, and I would highly recommend them. We had a small wedding and were looking for a simply decorated cake that tasted great. We got exactly what we wanted - a beautiful cake that tasted as good as it looked!

Sent on 09/06/2009

Mara · Married on 09/04/2010

3.5

Cynthia and the staff at Party Favors were great to work with. The cake came as part of the package through our reception venue, and we were so happy with the final product! The design was perfect - even better than what I had tried to describe. The only problem was that we had changed one of the flavors about 3 weeks before the wedding, and I called twice afterward to make sure the change had been made. Despite being reassured that the flavor was changed, the actual cake was made with the original flavor. It wasn't a huge problem, and it was still delicious, but I don't know where the communication broke off, and why the flavor wasn't changed. They said you can make changes up until a few days before the wedding, so we gave them enough time. In the end though, only a minor hiccup. The cake was beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 09/21/2010

Brittany · Married on 05/04/2013

Brides-to-be:

This is the only bad rating I gave...and though I feel horrible, I am compelled to write the most honest, the most objective, and the most concise review I possibly can.

We went with this vendor based on good reviews and good interactions.

Paula was the Party Favors representative with whom we worked closest with. She was kind, accommodating, accessible and thorough leading up to the event.

During the reception, we encountered an issue with two missing groom cakes and two missing cake stands. This issue was partially resolved an hour prior to the end of the reception; however, we are still attempting to work with this vendor to resolve the remaining issues. The issues seem to stem from a lack of communication (on behalf of this vendor).

We elected to donate the bridal dress, the flowers and then the cake(s) when Party Favors assured us that donating cake leftovers would not pose an issue. They had experience with cake donations and “would coordinate with the venue.” Because the burden of proof is on the customer, my husband and I have been electronically digging, compiling, forwarding and corresponding with them—weeks after the event. Verbal exchanges are null, so the disappearing cake stands conundrum might be lost cause at this point as they were shipped directly along with the receipt and this will require more tracking efforts on our behalf.

This is not my nature and I don’t want to pick vendor apart, so, I have my reservations about commenting further on the aesthetics of the bride’s cake. I’ll just say that it wasn’t an accurate representation of the tasting or the portfolio, but was most certainly something that we could overlook.
    Brittany

Sent on 05/26/2013

Emily · Married on 09/05/2010

4.2

We tried three different cake vendors in the Boston area and Party Favors was BY FAR our favorite. The cake was delicious and they are reasonably priced.

Sent on 08/01/2012

Adrianne · Married on 09/27/2008

3.0

First off, Cynthia - the wedding cake coordinator is a super nice lady & the tasting was great. I had a hard time finding a baker I liked, I didn't want to go to the 2 most popular wedding cake bakers so I made my job a bit harder.

at the tasting you can request 2 cake flavors & 2 filling flavors, they make 2 mini cakes for you & also send you off with some cupcakes if you don't try the normal gold & chocolate cake flavors.

I wasn't overly impressed with the cake - we had almond - which was actually very moist, but the frosting was very sweet. We went back for a 2nd tasting & decided on Almond cake with alternating Chocolate mousse & white chocolate raspberry mousse for the fillings.

At the wedding, i discovered the cake was covered in fondant, which i had communicated I didnt want (i actually like fondant but I know a lot of people detest it) - however it was very soft & yummy & the cake was actually better than the tasting!

We also ordered a ton of mini tarts & pastries that I never got to try b/c they were all gobbled up!

The design I had sent them was not the design they put on the cake = not the end of the world b/c I wanted white on white - so it wasn't really noticeable.

The best part is that for your 1 year anniversary they'll make you a new top layer of your wedding cake so long as you submit a picture of your cake... that will be great considering we barely got to eat any at the wedding.

Sent on 10/14/2008

Mollie · Married on 09/15/2007

4.2

Our cake tasted great and was just the way we described it to the store representative. The store was very generous with cake tastings -- we ended up eating two whole free cakes and two cupcakes! The cake was ordered and delivered with no hitches, and we were very impressed with its appearance on our wedding day. We were able to have a fondant-covered cake with sugar calla lilies for much less than we would have at many other Boston bakeries. Since they are a full-service bakery and do more than wedding cakes, it's possible to book a cake with them much later than you would have to for wedding cake-only bakeries.

Sent on 10/04/2007

Dana · Married on 11/10/2013

1.0

They would be getting a 5 if my cake hadn't been lopsided the day of the wedding. Not contacting us back after we called is kinda crappy too.

Sent on 11/17/2013

3.5

I'm sure they make excellent cakes for regular birthdays and such, but when we went for the tasting, we were only allowed to try 2 different flavors and fillings - which are not really enough to tell if we like that flavor or not. We got there, were greeted and then left alone to look at wedding cake books of their previous wedding cakes, while they went to the back and "made" our cake samples. She came back after a while and gave us some waters with two tiny plates, each holding a small piece of cake. I bit into one and was completely disgusted - the cake was very cold to the point of tastelessness and the frosting was warm but was so sweet it hurt my teeth and had an odd rough texture to it. We tried the mocha cake with rum filling and the almond cake with the french mocha buttercream. Perhaps these were just too avant garde since they did not taste good at all...but Cynthia (the lady who served us) was nice enough to box up our leftovers and give us extra cake to help us make our decision. She also presented us with a wedding timeline checklist and a brochure. I just wasn't happy that their cake was clearly defrosted and their frostings were overly sweet.

Sent on 06/14/2011

Abby · Married on 06/22/2008

3.5

The cake was great, and they delivered it on time and it looked lovely, so that's what's important, right? I will say that it ended up costing a lot more than I expected based on the estimates they gave me during the tasting when I was still deciding between different vendors. Every time I called and talked to a different person, they quoted me a different price. It took forever to get everything straightened out.
    However, the cake was delicious, there were no problems with delivery, and the ingredients were real and good. We had a ton of leftover cake - order a lot less than you think you'll need.

Sent on 06/30/2008

3.6
      3.0

We got our wedding cake from here and it tasted and looked great! There were some initial issues with getting it delivered, but it all got figured out. Definitely recommend them for wedding cakes!

Sent on 10/19/2014
  • User3572882 · event on: 03/04/2013

3.4
      2.5
      3.0

Difficult to return items that we did not use, gave the wrong prices and then would only sell the items for the higher prices, also mixed up the balloon orders, and lost the ones that were put aside. The products were good quality, however, and the prices are high.

Sent on 10/01/2013
  • Nancie

Nancie Cummings · Married on 05/19/2019

1.4
      1.0

Did not make as requested

I had this vision of a cake and not only sat down and described it, but sent pictures of exactly what I wanted. I even went the day before and looked at the cake and stated that flowers needed to be placed around it and I was assured. I also requested that the flowers on the cupcakes needed to be as shown in the pictures and was assured. The cake was delivered at 10 AM even though the ceremony did not begin till 3:30. The cake as you can see was missng the flowers and the flower on the cupcake was small and was bare compared to the picture. Money was no object. I contacted the owner and I was told that he was rushed and left the flowers for the cake on the counter. He did not have an explantation for the cupcakes. He said it would be more money for the flowers on the cupcakes but that was never discussed and would not have been a problem. I just wanted my vision. I received 35.00 for the flowers being left off the wedding cake. The nice thing was, he did offer to make me a small cake for the groom since the venue never served the cake. Also the cake was tasty. So matter bow many times we discussed what we wanted, even going to see it the day I was not listened to. I guess you need a wedding planner to see the cake the day of the venue and make sure it is correct. You cant make assumption that the baker will get it right.

Sent on 07/03/2019