Old Wide Awake Plantation Reviews

Old Wide Awake Plantation 5
Old Wide Awake Plantation 6
Old Wide Awake Plantation 7

Kim Sexton · Getting married on 11/07/2020

Beautiful venue. Plantation house is stunning

This venue is stunning and Margaret is the best!! Emailed right away and made our tour very special.

Alice Shawen · Married on 11/03/2018

Absolutely Magical

This is a beautiful place to have a wedding. My daughter's November wedding was magical. The house made a romantic backdrop to a late afternoon wedding and an outdoor reception. Margaret McKenzie and her staff made sure that everything was perfect! We highly recommend the venue and the wedding planner.

Angelia · Married on 10/13/2018

Perfect venue

I cannot say enough about Old Wide Awake Plantation and the staff there. Margaret is a dream to work with. I even came by on an off day, and one of the gentlemen working on the grounds (John, I believe?) stopped what he was doing and allowed me to show my MOHs the inside of the house. Margaret was very responsive to all emails and made sure we were fully equipped with any info we needed to make sure our big day was perfect. The venue is absolutely gorgeous and very accommodating.

Sent on 11/15/2018

Old Wide Awake Plantation's reply:

Lovely Angelia and it was my pleasure. Wishing you all the best, always! Please stay in touch!!!
    Margaret

Chris · Married on 06/16/2018

After and exhaustive search, we found Old Wide Awake and instantly knew it had to be the reception venue for our wedding. It was so charming and beautiful, but it also had some of the amenities we were looking for - including air conditioning inside, plenty of time to spend the day there getting ready, sufficient bathrooms for our guests, etc. Margaret McKenzie is the best in the business. She was professional and friendly, and put us at ease throughout the entire process. Old Wide Awake was the perfect venue for us, and it will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Old Wide Awake Plantation 13

Kayla · Married on 05/18/2018

We absolutely LOVED our venue! So many options on how to set things up, plenty of parking and great for photos. Our guests we’re asking me all night how we found this gem and how they could book it for their wedding! We are from out of town but the drive is soo worth it! We cant rave enough about Old Wide Awake!!

Old Wide Awake Plantation 14
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 15
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 16
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 17

Julie · Married on 12/09/2017

Old Wide Awake is such a beautiful venue! We got married here on 12/9/17. Pictures does not do it justice. Everything was perfect and it turned out great. Margaret is very helpful and quick to respond. We had the pleasure of touring this venue a second time after booking during the wedding revolution tour and we knew at that moment that we had made the right decision!

Old Wide Awake Plantation 18
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 19
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 20
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 21
    Old Wide Awake Plantation 22

Jennifer · Married on 11/04/2017

The Old Wide Awake Plantation was a beautiful venue for our daughter's wedding! We could not have asked for a more perfect day! Margaret McKenzie was perfect! When we sat down with her 18 months ago to plan the wedding, she provided us with the guidance and details to make this a successful event! The day of the wedding was even more than we imagined! There are so many activities all coming together the day of the wedding and she orchestrated them beautifully - it was truly an unbelievable magical night! Thank you Margaret!!! It will be a night we never forget! You are the BEST!!!

Carter Ann · Married on 10/28/2017

I just can't say enough about Old Wide Awake Plantation. Margaret McKenzie and her assistant, Kira, elevated our wedding as a "Welcome to Charleston" experience for our whole family!!! We were married there on October 28, 2017.
    My husband noticed OWA mentioned in a Reese Witherspoon article years ago! We joked about getting married there. Except, I could never stop looking up pictures and dreaming of getting married there!!
    When we visited, we both immediately knew it was everything we'd imagined.
    My only concern from the beginning was that the location is a bit far out from proper Charleston. That was easily solved with booking a guest bus from the hotels, making the party safer for everyone anyway.
    Plus, it's more fun to have a private location to yourself, and not have to share the property with other weddings.
    My bridesmaids, mothers, sisters, etc. all spent the morning and afternoon with me getting ready at OWA, having lunch and drinking coffee and mimosas. It was exactly what I pictured.
    All in all, I can't recommend Old Wide Awake enough!!! Book OWA and rest easy: your wedding WILL be incredible!
    PS The pricing is very reasonable. If you can AT ALL afford to add Margaret McKenzie as your full wedding planner.... just trust me. You NEED her.

Madison · Married on 07/22/2017

Old Wide Awake plantation was the most amazing and perfect venue for our wedding! We planned a wedding in 3 months and OWAP was amazing and easy to work with! They gave us amazing recommendations for other vendors and responded quickly to any questions we had! We got married July 22, 2017 and had the most perfect day!!!

Elizabeth · Married on 05/06/2017

We booked Old Wide Awake Plantation for a destination wedding 18 months in advance of the wedding date of 5/6/17 without visiting it. The great reviews we relied on we're totally spot on! The property is gorgeous and private. The house has undergone renovations and is beautiful and a comfortable place to get ready. One of the best features is that you have the entire property to yourself and you have it all day. Some of the other plantation venues we looked at were lovely but had kind of a wedding factory feel to them. One of the best decisions we made was to hire Margaret McKenzie as our wedding planner. She knows every inch of this property and had wonderful design recommendations. Her preferred list of vendors was invaluable and we were very happy with everyone we hired to provide services. I miss talking to Margaret. She is so warm and personable. As the mother of the bride, I felt guilty relaxing with my daughter and her bridesmaids, but every time I took a peek, everything was progressing smoothly and in a timely manner. I can't believe how little stress I felt that day! Our friends from Charleston were stunned that they had never heard of OWAP- it's one of Charlestons best kept wedding venue secrets! Thank you Margaret and OWAP for giving our family and guests a day we will never forget!

Kelley · Married on 04/15/2017

We got married at Old Wide Awake on 4/15/17 and it was everything we have ever dreamed of - it was PERFECT!
    We also rented out Old Wide Awake Park and had both the ceremony and the cocktail hour there. The beautiful tree covered in Spanish Moss was the perfect ceremony location, as it was a little cooler by the water - and then the guests were shaded from the tree as well. They watched dolphins and boats go by as they waited for the ceremony to begin.
    Margaret is a MUST if you do get married at Old Wide Awake Plantation -- she will ensure every detail is perfect before the wedding even begins, and then ensure it is all executed day of. She is a professional, and truly an expert at both Old Wide Awake Park and Old Wide Awake Plantation!

Billie · Married on 04/01/2017

This venue is amazing. Deciding to hire Margaret the on-site coordinator as the wedding coordinator was the best decision. Our daughter's wedding was not just memorable, it was flawless and unforgettable.

Judy · Married on 03/25/2017

My daughter always had a clear vision of her wedding day. On March 25, 2017, Old Wide Awake Plantation brought her vision to life! It is truly a Southern Wedding Venue!! The grounds are immaculate, and the plantation house is beautiful. It's all yours for the day....every inch of the space! Our photos were gorgeous, and the house accommodated our entire bridal party (and we had 10 bridesmaids and 10 groomsmen). There are several different location options on the property for your ceremony. We chose the steps of the house, and it was stunning! Im still receiving texts and emails from friends and family, complimenting our beautiful wedding! The icing on the cake is Old Wide Awake's Wedding Coordinator, Margaret McKenzie. Margaret is everything you could want in a wedding planner and MORE! There's nothing she doesn't know about the property, and she'll help you achieve the exact look and feel you desire for your wedding day. She's extremely professional, knowledgeable, and most importantly, kind and supportive from start to finish. Her taste is exquisite, and her vendor recommendations are the best of the best. Our wedding included nearly 300 guest, and Margaret stayed cool and calm, never missing a beat. She's a gem for sure!!
    So BRIDES and MOB'S - OLD WIDE AWAKE PLANTATION IS A BEAUTIFUL VENUE WITH A FABULOUS WEDDING COORDINATOR!

• Lauren

Lauren · Married on 11/26/2016

My dream wedding venue! Eddie, my husband, and I just tied the knot at Old Wide Awake this past weekend and it was a dream come true. The perfect venue if you're trying to give a true Charleston experience!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Krista · Married on 10/22/2016

My husband and I were SO happy that we got married at Old Wide Awake. The setting is absolutely gorgeous and our guests couldn't stop raving about what a beautiful place it was to get married. One huge perk is you get the venue all day--from 9am to 10pm, so there won't be any other weddings on the same day or short windows within to set up or get ready. The bride, groom, bridesmaids, and groomsmen can all get ready on-site in different parts of the house, which made things really easy. One of the best parts of Old Wide Awake is you can hire on Margaret McKenzie as your wedding planner. She was a lifesaver!!! We hired her on to help us choose vendors she had worked with who would do great work, to answer questions and offer advice throughout the planning process as she knows the venue inside and out like nobody else, and to be our day of coordinator. As a result, all of our vendors were reliable and did amazing work, there were no major issues leading up to or on the day of the wedding (except for Hurricane Matthew destroying our rehearsal dinner venue, but Margaret helped us find a new spot right away), and the day of the wedding was blissfully stress-free. I was a local bride and couldn't have pulled off such an amazing wedding without her, so if you're out of town, she will be invaluable for your wedding!

Cheryl · Married on 10/15/2016

My daughter got married at Old Wide Awake Oct 15, 2016 and it was truly perfect. We weren't sure if it was actually going to happen due to Hurricane Matthew but Margaret went over and above to help us. The house, grounds and the park looked gorgeous and our guests just loved the place. Truly magical.

Alison · Married on 10/01/2016

I could not have been happier with this venue. To start, it is absolutely gorgeous. At my first visit, my breath was literally taken away as I turned down the driveways. I got that same feeling each time I visited, which just felt so special to me. Next, the flexibility that the venue offered was huge. I didn't realize how much I appreciated not having to choose specific vendors until after already booking the venue, but I'm so happy that that was the case at Old Wide Awake. I was able to customize the wedding of my dreams. Margaret and the house staff were all great and very easy and nice to work with. I honestly cannot say enough great things about this venue. A definite must see!

Holly · Married on 09/24/2016

What a wonderful, wonderful wedding we had for my daughter and her husband last Saturday at Old Wide Awake Plantation. OWA is a quintessential plantation that has been lovingly restored. The wrap around porches and travertine patio, the ivy draped staircase and sweet pond, the tree framed driveway and pub like bar…all add up to a very special wedding location. But the real magic starts when you add the amazing talents and kindness of Margaret McKenzie. From the moment we started the wedding process…almost 13 months prior…until the day after our wedding, Margaret made everything click. She was there through the planning process with the caterer, florist, band, rentals, photographer and transportation. She helped in the design process, making suggestions that enhanced our vision. The week before my daughter’s wedding she distributed a timeline and set up schedule to all of our vendors. When the bride, bridesmaids, MOB and MOG arrived Saturday morning she greeted us with confidence and warmth. As the MOB, I didn’t lift a finger on wedding day. Margaret took care of everything. She was our "most valuable player”. I would highly encourage anyone to engage Margaret’s services when booking the OWA. Honestly, looking back I wouldn’t change a moment. Thank you OWA and Margaret Mckenzie!

Kristen · Married on 09/04/2016

I am writing this review only a couple weeks after getting married at Old Wide Awake Plantation and I am still in awe of how amazing everything was! I had my ceremony out on the lawn by the pond and the reception was at the house. We had a big tent over the patio where the band played and guests danced until the very last song! I currently live out of state, so planning my wedding at Old Wide Awake would have been 1000x more difficult if it were not for the wonderful Margaret McKenzie. She is the coordinator of the plantation and she was a miracle worker. She helped me tremendously and was simply amazing. I can't say enough good things about her, and also she knows the plantation so well because of how many weddings she has done out there! We had our cocktail hour on the porch and underneath where the covered bar area is. Since it was a sunny day on Labor Day weekend, it was pretty hot but my guests did not seem to care at all! They kept coming up to me and telling me how beautiful the location and house were. Underneath the porch and the big tent helped keep things cool.
    Another bonus if you have your reception here is the Old Wide Awake Park just a little ways down the road. This little park has BEAUTIFUL trees and a dock that over looks the water. It is also an option to have your ceremony out there, but that costs extra. Definitely take pictures out there though if you can!
    After having my wedding out at OWA I would do it all over again! The house and setting are beautiful! You can't beat those lovely porches or the beautiful pond with the fountain! I highly recommend this venue!

Lindley · Married on 06/18/2016

We used Old Wide Awake as our reception venue for our June wedding. We chose Old Wide Awake, not only because it is beautiful, but because it was more laid back and "off the beaten" path than many of the plantation-style venues that we considered. It was one of the best decisions we made during the wedding planning process. The first time we visited, we loved the history and beauty of the house and the versatility of the property. During that visit, we also met Margaret, who sealed the deal. She put us at ease about the wedding planning process, and promised that she would help us create the wedding of our dreams, which she did. She served as our wedding planner throughout the year-and-a-half planning process, and guided us every step of the way. When our wedding day finally arrived, Margaret coordinated the entire event so that every decoration was in place and every transition was seamless. Old Wide Awake served as the most beautiful backdrop for our reception, with its palatial wrap around porches and beautiful landscaping. The patio served as the perfect base for our tented dining and dance floor area - almost creating an outdoor ballroom effect. Ultimately, we loved everything about Old Wide Awake and Margaret McKenzie! If you choose this venue and planner, you won't regret it!

H'Rosalyn · Married on 04/09/2016

The House is just breathtaking! It was just a perfect backdrop for our wedding! All of our guests are still talking about how beautiful everything was.

Lee · Married on 04/08/2016

My husband and I were married at Old Wide Awake on April 8, 2016. It was the first venue we viewed and when we saw it in person I KNEW this was where I wanted to get married. First of all, it was the first place we viewed because Margaret McKenzie is phenomenal at correspondence. This was one of the many venues that we had contacted and she immediately replied back to us with answers to all of our questions. After viewing this property we looked at a few other places (my husband wanted to keep our options open) but nothing came close to this beautiful property.
    The house has all of the southern charm you would expect to see here in Charleston. My favorite aspect were the porches. The upstairs porch provided a perfect gathering place for the women in my life who were helping me get ready on the big day. It somehow turned into quite the pre-wedding party!
    My second favorite part of the house is the bar underneath the front porch. It's a perfect spot to hang out with friends and mingle when you're not on the dancefloor.
    Other great features are: PLENTY of parking, privacy, a cute pond with a fountain, big kitchen, permanent travertine patio so there's no need to rent one, full use of the house (some plantations here in Charleston don't allow guests to come in the house which, for me, would defeat the entire purpose!).
    Margaret McKenzie always answered the phone on the first try or immediately called me back anytime I needed to get in contact with her. She is amazingly professional and so pleasant to work with.
    I'm so glad I picked this house for my wedding day. It was absolutely perfect!

Amazing space! Gorgeous house - perfect for a ceremony and reception. The owners and manager were so very helpful and accommodating! I could not have imagined having my wedding anywhere else.

• W

Whitney · Married on 11/28/2015

-Beautiful grounds for wedding pics
    -Venue accomodated my groom and I when we made 2 date changes