Old Blue BBQ Reviews

53 | Alexandria, VA

53 Reviews for Old Blue BBQ

53 Old Blue BBQ Reviews

Russell · Married on 08/25/2018

Old Blue BBQ catered our rehearsal dinner/wedding welcome bbq, and we were very happy with everything! The team at Old Blue was very responsive all the way up through the event. Old Blue was also great at accommodating our food and drink requests, so we got exactly what we wanted. They also accommodated our guests with dietary restrictions! Old Blue does soup to nuts, so they were able to do the set up, clean up, and supplied bartenders, tables, etc. During and after the event, all of our guests were raving about the food, especially the brisket! Would definitely recommend!

Katherine · Married on 06/02/2018

Choosing Old Blue BBQ for our caterers was one of the easiest decisions we had to make! From the very beginning, they were friendly, knowledgeable, and easy to work with. Our tasting was AMAZING, and they even let us sample some items that we weren't originally interested in, but blew us away! We originally worked with Kelly, but then were switched to Kari, who had done many, many events at our venue, and both women were absolute dreams to work with. Kari did an amazing job, she kept me and my husband fed all night, and I can't gush enough about how well taken care of we were. All of our guests were amazed by our food and could not stop talking about it. Old Blue handled everything for us and made it possible for us to enjoy our wedding, I cannot recommend them enough!

Kasey · Married on 02/18/2018

I don't think I can overstate how happy we are that we hired Old Blue BBQ. From the first conversation I was put at ease. Kelly was always so positive about our plans and our wishes, and even when we were considering something that may not work she didn't just shut it down, she suggested an alternative that always ended up being better than what we originally imagined. Throughout the whole process her efficiency and capability helped make wedding planning much easier for us. Everything went smoothly on our wedding day, from their team coming in and setting up the spaces to packing up leftover food for us to enjoy after the wedding. And the FOOD - we are still hearing rave reviews about the food. The moink balls, the burnt ends, the stuffing...everything was delicious. Thank you to Kelly and her team for playing making our wedding everything we imagined!

susannah · Married on 11/04/2017

Hire Old Blue BBQ - you will not be disappointed. They were hands down the easiest and best group of people to work with - from our intimate tasting at their kitchen to the brideshare, help with all the rentals, and perfect day-of-execution. And of course, THE FOOD ... let me tell you about the food. It is a show stopper - people are still talking about our wedding food as some of the best BBQ they've ever had. Everything was fantastic and all of their staff was just absolutely delightful. I cannot say enough good things about Kelly and the whole crew at Old Blue.

Eva and Brad · Married on 10/28/2017

I cannot say enough about Old Blue BBQ. We had a casual wedding but still wanted great food. The craft bbq and catering from Old Blue fit the bill perfectly. They provided us with appetizers, bbq buffet and a late night snack. Everything was delicious and creative, making our wedding a unique experience for our guests. People could not stop talking about the moink balls and candy bacon! Buffet leftovers were packaged for our guests, and were quickly snapped up. The pork and brisket were amazing, and the smoked salmon a special treat. We were also very thankful for their vegetarian and vegan options. This meant we could comfortably serve everyone in our party. Their catering setup was spot on for our vibe, and they had so many nice touches, like butter in mason jars.Their service was topnotch. So many people commented on how pleasant and accommodating the staff was during our event. Shannon was our point of contact. She was always so responsive and able to work with us to make our event what we wanted. They bent over backwards to help us out. They were always on time for set up and clean up, doing a fantastic job. They are a fantastic vendor, and we would recommend them to anyone. No matter how sophisticated the event, the food at Old Blue will be right and please everyone.

• O

Olivia · Married on 10/21/2017

Amazing! Everyone was so helpful! They had such great advice, they even had suggestions on the layout for the reception. And of course, the food was incredible! So many of my guests told me it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding.

Caryn · Married on 09/30/2017

We had such a lovely experience working with Old Blue BBQ and specifically Kelly. Excellent service from start to finish in helping us execute the vibe we wanted for the wedding and ensuring that we established a perfect environment, with the best food, for our guests. I highly recommend the brisket and the squash gratin in particular - my favorites and absolutely delicious. Thank you again to the Old Blue BBQ team for making our day truly special!

Shea · Married on 09/22/2017

One of the absolute best decisions we made for our wedding was hiring Old Blue BBQ as our caterer! From the initial tasting, to the day-of, Kelly was fantastic throughout the entire process.

First of all, the food is down-right delicious. You’ll have such a hard time choosing the menu for your big day because everything is so yummy! We especially loved the mac & cheese and maple dijon brussel sprouts, but you truly cannot go wrong :)

While the food is amazing, working with Kelly truly made our experience. She is so professional, knowledgeable, and kind, and consistently went above and beyond to make our wedding day perfect. From sharing ideas on place settings, providing guidance on day-of logistics, and answering our many questions along the way, Kelly was such a joy to work with and honestly helped relieve so much of our stress leading up to the big day.

During the planning process, she thought of all the finer details that we would have missed, and also spent time walking us through Old Blue’s ‘bride share’ space to pick out décor pieces that we wanted to incorporate into our reception. In addition to the awesome food and Kelly’s expertise, the option to use lanterns, votive candles, and other accessories from the bride share will make you feel even more like you’re getting the most bang for your buck!

On the day of, Kelly was so helpful and made sure everything went off without a hitch! She truly played such an instrumental role in making our dream wedding a reality, orchestrating the set-up of the cocktail hour & reception space, directing our guests to the buffet in an orderly manner, styling our dessert bar, and staying in command of everything. We could not have been happier with our experience with Old Blue BBQ, and highly recommend Kelly and her team!

Daniella · Married on 09/16/2017

We hired Old Blue for our September wedding in Lovettsville, Va., and had an awesome experience. From the initial meeting and tasting with Shannon (our event coordinator) to the end of the reception, Shannon and her team were so easy to work with, so responsive to our questions, and so helpful in troubleshooting timeline and logistics as we got closer to the date. And of course, the food (which my husband and I were particular and particularly excited about during wedding planning) was delicious. Our wedding was at a farm, so a barbecue buffet was perfect for the overall tone and vibe that we wanted. We did ribs, chicken, and brisket (both lean and fatty) for dinner, with a mix of sides and vegan entrees for a few of our guests, and the quality and flavor were spot on and exactly what we'd had at the first tasting. The cocktail hour options were also a big hit, and we (and our guests) particularly loved the candied bacon. We brought in our own beer and wine and also did donuts instead of cake for dessert, and Old Blue advised on the amounts and also set up the donuts in a beautiful way for the reception. Not only was the food great and the staff supportive, it was also a great value and by far the best priced option after shopping around with a few other DC-area caterers. Would 110% recommend Old Blue (and Shannon in particular) for an upcoming wedding or event.

Molly · Married on 08/12/2017

Old Blue BBQ was the most incredible wedding caterer we ever could have imagined! Kelly was absolutely amazing every step of the way, from the first day we contacted her to the day off. We did not have a wedding planner or day of coordinator, but Kelly was extremely integral in making our wedding flow and go on without a hitch. She and the rest of the staff worked their magic the day of, through sun and unexpected rains. We were hooked from our first tasting and all the food on our wedding day did not disappoint! Absolutely delicious BBQ with variety for us to personalize our menu. It was difficult to decide because everything was so tasty! We can't say enough positive things about Old Blue BBQ. Thanks Kelly and Stephen for making our wedding unforgettable!

Anna · Married on 08/05/2017

I booked old blue for my catering, set up and clean up service. It was the best decision I could of made for my wedding. Shannon, Kelly and the team went above and beyond for my special day. The food was AMAZING the service was OUTSTANDING. Every wedding has its hiccups and Shannon handled it all so well I didn't know anything had gone wrong until after the wedding was over.( nothing that went wrong was any fault of Old Blue) I cannot recommend Old blue enough. They truly made my wedding day the special successful day that it was.

P.S. get the Brussels sprouts they are to die for

Megan · Married on 06/10/2017

Old Blue BBQ is awesome. We had a hard time trying to hire a caterer for our wedding because we live out of state. Kelly really blew me away when she brought a tasting all the way out to Winchester because we were only in town for a limited time. Kelly's experience, coupled with her constantly going above and beyond for customers, helped everything go smoothly at our reception. Their crew set up in a less than ideal situation (basically a dirt trail in the woods) and provided excellent service. We opted to serve the food family style and they excecuted it flawlessly. The way they displayed the food was beautiful. And their food is so freaking good. All our guests raved about it. From their sauces to their fresh pickles to the meat and sides, everyone loved all the food Old Blue BBQ had to offer. Their food and service can't be beat.

Emily · Married on 06/02/2017

SERVICE: Old Blue BBQ has impeccable service. They respond to phone calls and emails promptly; the food is amazing; they more than helped with wedding planning and decorations. I wish I didn't hire my wedding coordinator because Kelly was so diligent about helping us cut costs and even loaned us FREE, beautiful, wedding decorations for both the ceremony and reception. The waiters were professional and ran the dinner buffet and bar lines smoothly. We wanted a formal wedding that wasn't TOO formal and Old Blue accommodated that perfectly with the decorations and silverware they used.

FOOD: Brisket, brisket, brisket. Everyone was in LOVE with the brisket. People still rave about the food at our wedding and it's been a month. Old Blue has a nice assortment of good ole BBQ and lighter, healthier fare that will appeal to people of all dietary backgrounds (we had multiple vegans, pescatarians, and meat-lovers at our wedding).

OVERALL: We had to plan the entire wedding ourselves because we're not made of money like some people in DC seem to be. Old Blue helped us create a Pinterest-perfect wedding and, honestly, Kelly is THE single most amazing person in the wedding industry (and probably the world). She is down-to-earth and genuinely has the bride and groom's best interest at heart. She made the process so much less stressful and we love her so, so, much for being the reason that our wedding was as amazing as it was.

• Y

Yolonda · Married on 05/19/2017

I can not say ENOUGH about this amazing group! As a wedding planner, I was VERY picky about exactly what I wanted and Kelly did everything to make sure my day was perfect. Thank you so much!

Julie · Married on 05/06/2017

My son & daughter-in-law were married on Saturday May 6, 2018 and we used Old Blue BBQ in Alexandria as our caterer for the semi-casual reception dinner. We were invited to go with the bride and groom for the tasting several months prior to the wedding. The selection of foods that we sampled including appetizers were absolutely delicious well presented, and hard to choose from. The day of the wedding Old Blue arrived on time and set up the reception in the barn that went along with the wedding theme of Vintage Chic. They arranged the tables, linens, table settings, and table decorations along with guidance from the wedding planner. The appetizers were delicious and seemed to satisfy the crowd waiting during pictures. The bar was set up and managed well. The buffet style dinner was absolutely awesome. The food was plenty, organized, and delicious. The caterers stayed until the end of the reception packing up the extra food, breaking down tables, putting up chairs, cleaning up, and taking the trash for the evening with them. I would recommend Old Blue BBQ to anyone having a semi- causal reception. They are professional, on time, and more than prepared, and most importantly the food was enjoyed and delicious.

Heather · Married on 04/29/2017

They are amazing!! They are so organized and so helpful! We got so many compliments on our food.

Kate · Married on 11/05/2016

I can’t say enough good things about Old Blue BBQ! Kelly and the team were so professional, helpful and just fun to work with. AND their food is amazing. You will not have any complaints about humdrum wedding food if you go with Old Blue. On top of the spectacular food, they were so helpful in the wedding planning process. Often when discussing catering options, Kelly gave us the easy option of them handling it or the budget option on how to do it ourselves with lots of advice. We were able to pick out a lot of decor items to use from their ‘bridal share’ stash, which saved us a ton of money on buying our own. On the day of, their staff took care of so much, from setting up everything up to making sure we were taken care of all night.

Katrina · Married on 10/22/2016

Kelly and her team at Old Blue BBQ are phenomenal. Everything from start to finish was perfection. Kelly brought an incredible amount of knowledge and excellent recommendations to our meetings leading up to our wedding. She did so much more than bring our vision to life while staying within our budget. Of course my husband and I (and so many of our wedding guests) loved the food and couldn't stop raving about it. The ribs, salmon, pulled chicken, peach bourbon beans, roasted root vegetables and everything else was mouth watering. The bridal share of goodies was the perfect ribbon we needed to tie all of our decor together. Most importantly, Kelly and her staff are very professional and we felt so comfortable (and relieved) that they were running the show. This team comes highly recommended.

Glyn · Married on 10/08/2016

Old Blue served absolutely delicious BBQ buffet style for my 100ish guests. Food was awesome and filling, and the team was incredibly professional to work with! All of the feedback I've gotten from guests is that the food was memorable and tasty. Kelly was very helpful in planning my reception run of show, and they brought several cute chalkboard signs to help decorate the space.

Jeff · Married on 10/01/2016

Old Blue BBQ provided the food and staff for my daughter's and son-in-law's wedding reception. Both food and staff get five stars!!! Our guests loved it!!! We were sold at the tasting, which was so well done by Kelly and Stephen - we loved the food, and Kelly shared so many great ideas and showed such enthusiasm. No bait and switch here.......the food served at the reception was exactly the same fresh, delicious food that we first tried during the tasting, and the level of enthusiasm demonstrated by Kelly and her staff on the day of reception was the same level that we saw beginning day one at the tasting. Kelly and our wedding planner worked very well together. The food is CRAFT BARBECUE, which I would describe as upscale barbecue. Unique and delicious appetizers like Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers; Beet and Goat Cheese salad served at the table; on the buffet was mouthwatering Sliced Texas Brisket, Hot Smoked Salmon, and Pulled Pork, served with the most exquisite side dishes, including Maple Dijon Brussels Sprouts and Home Style Mac and Cheese. Old Blue is full-service (food, servers, bartenders - we provided our own alcohol, they provided mixers). In addition to a full bar, we offered two signature cocktails which required some advance coordination and preparation by Kelly and Old Blue - Kelly's bartenders pulled it off beautifully! You will not regret your choice if you choose Old Blue BBQ for your wedding reception or event. We would book them again on a heartbeat!!!

Jennifer · Married on 09/24/2016

Old blue bbq was an amazing choice for our wedding catering! Kelly was easy to work with and extremely organized. We booked Old Blue about a year and a half before our wedding and during our last meeting the week before the wedding, she remembered our conversations from a year and a half prior! We had the brisket, salmon, mac and cheese, and the cowboy caviar and received compliments on all of the food. (I was so sad when there wasn't any leftover for us to take home!)

Kelly really went above and beyond to provide great customer service. I had mentioned during one of our many conversations that I really wanted to have a vodka lavender lemonade (with a lavender sprig) as one of my signature drinks, but lavender sprigs are out of season in September, so Kelly got me in contact with a lavender farm in Maryland who was able to grow and dry out some edible lavender for me to use in my cocktails in September!

Old Blue also offers an awesome "bride share" service where you can use the decor they already own to decorate your wedding. They also did a great job decorating my ceremony, cocktail hour and reception locations. I would most definitely recommend Old Blue for any of your catering needs!

Lindsay · Married on 09/17/2016

I cannot say enough good things about Old Blue BBQ. Hands down, the best food I've ever had at a wedding. Our guests are still raving about how amazing the food was, and that alone would warrant a 5 star review. However, it was so many other things that made us fall in love. We had two guests with very specific food requests (due to health reasons) and Old Blue's owner/chef researched both conditions and created customized meals for them. He even called to discuss all of the details of those food requests, to make sure he completely understood and to put our minds at ease. On the day of the wedding, my husband and I were never without food or drink! They brought us huge plates full of food, without having us stand in line for the buffet, and would breeze by with drink refills before we even noticed that we were out of wine. And don't get me started on how awesome everyone that works there is (shoutout to Shannon and Kari!) Seriously, go with Old Blue immediately. It was the easiest decision we made during our entire wedding planning process.

Old Blue was great to work with! They helped us with planning our timeline and offered free decorations for us to borrow. They totally took the lead on setting up everything on the day of the wedding which was extremely helpful. And, the food is simply out of this world. Us and all of our guests absolutely loved it! A special thank you to Kelly who helped us with everything!

Jana · Married on 09/03/2016

Awesome staff, bartending and food! Kari and Kelly and their staff did an amazing job. I would not have changed one thing! They worked very well with my venue owners and other vendors. They even helped my now husband set up our reception area. If I ever need a BBQ caterer again, I would 100% hire them again. My guests made several comments about the excellent food and staff!!!