Okyne Medialab Reviews

303 | Chicago, IL

303 Reviews for Okyne Medialab

Al was great - kept people dancing the whole night and happily stayed an extra half hour when we extended the reception. Everyone had a blast, largely due to the music. Oknye Medialab has useful online tools that make the process really simple and straightforward. Great vendor to work with.

Sent on 08/20/2012

Caroline · Married on 07/27/2012

We loved working with this whole group. They are incredibly organized and responsive. The process was seamless. Everyone commented on how great the music was and the dance floor was crowded all night!

Sent on 08/27/2012
  • Mallory

Mallory · Married on 07/07/2012

My husband and I took a very laid back approach to most of our wedding and even our vendors. The one vendor we took the time to interview and search around for was the DJ. The Arboretum Club recommended that we check out Okyne Medialab, and it was well worth every cent we paid. They weren't more expensive than any other DJ we interviewed or researched, but the feeling we go from our first meeting with Al was that they were interested in playing good music and the music we like. Jon and I both cared so much about everyone having fun and we wanted a DJ service we knew could do that. DJ Erich was absolutely amazing. He was organized, professional and made the entire reception easy. We didn't feel like we had to worry about anything. He played to the crowd, and we are still getting emails, texts, and phone calls saying this is one of the best weddings they've been to. DJ Erich took notice of the music we liked and built an amazing playlist around it. The dance floor was packed from the minute the mother daughter dance ended until the Arboretum Club turned on the lights. It was everything we wanted it to be and would absolutely recommend them to everyone and anyone. Thanks DJ Erich and Okyne Medialab. The whole night was amazing!

Sent on 07/13/2012

Bo · Married on 06/30/2012

Alan was the DJ on our wedding night, he did even better than what we could expect, he kept our dance floor full for the entire night, and made our guests at different ages all go up to the dance floor and enjoy the night, we received lots of compliments from our guests on how great the party is, and we know it couldn't have been the same without Alan!!

We worked mostly with Al during the preparation stage, he's very professional,patient and responsive to the questions we had.

Sent on 08/01/2012

Rebecca · Married on 06/30/2012

For our June 2012 wedding, we hired Okyne Medialab as our DJ. Through most of the process we worked with Al and Stacy, both of whom were fantastic. Initially we met with Al and he was super personable and informative. He answered most of our questions before we had a chance to ask them. They had great communication and follow up skills. You can tell that him and his crew love what they do and they are great at it. Meeting our DJ in advance was really important to us because we wanted to make sure there was a good chemistry since the music / talking could make or break your reception. Al and Stacy were super accomodating and set up a meeting for us with Erich. He was really great and we were excited to work with him. Most of the information gathering and song selection happens through the Okyne website and you have the ability to view/listen to tons of songs. This was very helpful and easy to have all the information stored in one place. The quality of the music/sound system at the reception sounded great. Erich did a fantastic job and the dance floor was packed the whole night. It was so much fun!!!

Sent on 08/13/2012

Amy · Married on 06/23/2012

Okyne is fantastic!! All of the online tools were quite helpful and Stacy was great to correspond with on any questions we had. Al was our DJ and he did a FABULOUS job! So many of our guests commented on what an awesome job he did and a lot said that was the most they had ever danced at a wedding. We had some technical difficulties having to do with the venue (we lost power to the at the venue a couple of times, NOT Al's fault) and Al did an awesome job of getting the party going again quickly and smoothly. Okyne also put together a video montage of pictures for us and it turned out great! I could not be happier with my experience with everyone at Okyne and would recommend them to anyone, a big thank you to Al, Stacy and everyone else at Okyne Medialab for making our wedding reception better than we ever could have expected! :)

Sent on 07/06/2012

Al, Stacy and DJ Matt provided excellent service for our wedding reception. Cannot say enough good things about the company - professional, fun, flexible, friendly and well worth every penny. Everyone enjoyed our reception, in large part due to their help!

Sent on 07/18/2012

Ryan · Married on 06/09/2012

My wife and I want to start by saying this review is based on the services of DJ Al and the services provided by his wife and assistant. Our wedding was back on June 9, 2012 and honestly there is no better way to say this than just stating how phenomenal Al and his staff were. My wife and I first met with Al and his assistant long before the wedding to hammer out the details of the costs involved and to get a feel for what Al brought to the table. After one meeting we immediately paid an extra fee to reserve Al for our wedding day; the professionalism, attitude, and overall personality confirmed to my wife and I that Al was the guy for the job.

The website for Okyne Medialab made the process that much simpler. From choosing the music you want (or not want) to scheduling the night how you want it (down to 5 minute increments if desired) simply eased our minds that we were going to be on the same page throughout the night.

Once the big day was a couple weeks away, Al talked with us on the phone to go over the schedule we inputted on the website, to double check names to make sure he had the pronunciation correct, and to go over the music we selected. Aside from the first dance, cake-cutting song, entrance song, and father/bride & groom/mother songs, we only selected a few songs we absolutely did not want to hear. We wanted Al to play what he felt was right and gave him complete control of the music. He earned our trust over and over again throughout the process and he did NOT disappoint, as half of our wedding (200+ attended) were still dancing at the end of the night.

What encouraged us more about Al was the flexibility and genuine care he showed throughout the night. There were times when we had to change the timing of some toasts and delay some events (cake cutting) because it was obvious people were having fun and we didn’t want to ruin the moment. Al was more than willing to do whatever we wanted, not to mention ask us throughout the night if there was anything we needed at all. It was obvious this is what he loves to do.

The one thing every bride and groom MUST realize is that the DJ is the person who runs the night. In our opinions people remember two things from a wedding; how the food was and whether or not they had fun. Al can’t control the food, but he is the catalyst for the good times on the dance floor and whether or not the night runs smoothly. Do NOT cheap out and go with someone who is a couple bucks cheaper because you WILL regret it. Al showed up hours before the event, thus relieving us of any worry, and truly made our night a huge success.

My wife and I want to thank Al and his staff for the services they provided. Our night was flawless and we certainly realize Al was a big part of that. To any prospective clients: Al was the only DJ we met with through our search, and even though we looked at only one person I guarantee there is no better DJ in Chicago. Meet with him one time and you will know, like we did, he is the one.

--Mr. & Mrs. Ricci

Sent on 07/19/2012

Kevin · Married on 06/09/2012

When searching for a DJ, my wife put me in charge (one of the few things that I was trusted to help out with). I must admit that I thought it'd be an easy task, but after our first couple meetings, I felt a little differently. Luckily, our next meeting was with Al Okyne, who was flexible enough to meet us on our home turf out in the suburbs (unlike some other vendors who seem to only operate out of Chicago). Within minutes of sitting with Al, we were sold as he was very down to Earth and was able to present all of the things we were looking for in a DJ (great taste in music, plenty of experience in manning a dance floor, and very personable).

From that day on, we had a great experience with Okyne MediaLab. The online tools were very helpful, and the responsiveness of everyone involved (including Al and Stacy) was exceptional. This continued all the way up to our big day (June 9, 2012). We were lucky to have DJ Alan assigned to our wedding ceremony - he proved to continue the reputable service that we had come to know through all interactions thus far in the process. And more importantly, Alan was able to command the reception from the beginning. We wanted our reception to run efficiently leading into the dance floor, and Alan was able to keep everything moving as we hoped (leaving little down time in which our guests could lose interest). Once all of our special dances, toasts, and dinner were through, Alan began his show - his song selections kept our dance floor packed from beginning to end. Additionally, he accomodated many requests from all genres as our audience covered multiple generations, which he handled with ease, and never let the dance floor dwindle. We couldn't have asked for a better wedding reception and the DJ was mostly to credit for the success.

Thanks Again!
    Kevin & Laura Niwa

Sent on 09/16/2012

Julie · Married on 05/26/2012

From the moment we met Al, we knew he would be perfect for our wedding. We knew we wouldn't have to worry about a dead dance floor because he really knew what he was doing. Throughout the entire process, Stacy was so helpful with any questions we had. The day of the wedding, everything went flawlessly. For any of the music we didn't pick out, Al did an amazing job filling in songs that our guests would like. Our dance floor was HUGE and packed the entire night. No one wanted to leave, even after 4 hours of dancing! If we had to do it over again, we would hire Okyne everytime. You won't be sorry if you include them in your big day.

Sent on 06/28/2012
  • Rachel W.

Rachel · Married on 05/26/2012

We used Okyne Media for our wedding and we couldn't have been happier. They were super easy to work with. The planning tools they have on their website for clients are very helpful too. Matt, our DJ, was awesome, he kept everyone on the dance floor all night! Also, my Maid of Honor ended her speech with a quote from a Jack Johnson song, and not even knowing anything about her speech he was able to queue up that song and start it right after she finished her speech. We are still getting compliments on our wedding and how fun it was. Thanks Okyne Media!

Sent on 07/14/2012

Agnes · Married on 05/19/2012

Okyne was our first option as DJ, and after our initial meeting with them, we knew we had our DJ. They are truly a professional company. We had read many of their reviews on this and other web sites, and they were all positive, and we got to experience why. Their planning tool makes it extremely easy to map out your event so their DJ is completely prepared. Our specific DJ, DJ Erich, was extremely professional and was very good at coordinating the events of our reception to make sure the people that were needed were prepared for their task (toasts, dances, etc). All of our guests commented during and after the reception how good the DJ was. The older guests were please with the music from their generation that they were able to dance to, and then the younger guests got their turn as DJ Erich started playing newer music. We knew with our guests it would be difficult to keep the dance floor full, but somehow DJ Erich made that happen! We had more than 1 guest comment how they wanted to take a break from dancing, but couldn't because all the songs were so good!

We were very impressed with Okyne Media Lab, and would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for a DJ for their event.

Sent on 05/28/2012

Kamile · Married on 05/12/2012

Only the best review for the best DJ service! Okyne Medialab was our first and only choice when it came to picking our DJ. We were sold when we found out that they did not play the chicken dance or the YMCA :) Al and Stacy were amazing to work with before our wedding and everything was well organized and easy to work with on their website! Matt was a FANTASTIC DJ! The dance floor was where everyone wanted to be the entire night! He kept the party going till 1:30am! Matt was not only a great DJ, but he was also making sure we were doing okay through out the entire night! Matt you were a hit at our wedding and we will highly recommend Okyne Medialab!
    Thanks for a great night!
    Adam & Kamile

Sent on 05/21/2012

Kaori · Married on 05/05/2012

I had the pleasure of working with Okyne Media for my wedding last month. I initally met them at a bridal show and loved their live DJ set. I decided on them after my wedding planner (Anthony with Liven it up Events) also recommened them to me. The process in choosing the music and timeline was seamlessly easy online. Al and Stacy are true professionals! They picked Alan as our DJ for the night. Al promised that Alan would deliver and he did! He kept our dance floor full the entire night, as promised. Alan was so respectful to our wishes in what we wanted for music and we clicked with him immediately. We all had a great time and we got to work with Alan again at our friend's wedding a few weeks later. I highly recommend Al and his team for your DJ needs!!

Sent on 06/26/2012

Maureen · Married on 04/28/2012

Dear Al and Stacy, I apologize for the delay of this most grateful THANK-YOU for helping make our reception a joy-filled success! My nephew has chosen AL for his wedding next August! Planning a wedding or any event is stressful even in the best of circumstances however Ron and I were blessed to have chosen the "perfect" vendors for our event. You and Al were a delight from the moment we decided not to overpay for an expensive band. Stacy and AL were kind and courteous even with some of our bumps in the road (we're a step family dynamic, we had a lot to learn). Stacy, your professional kind demeanor on the phone and in email helped calm a very stressed out mom/bride...Thank you. Your online tools are amazing. It made "creating" our musical ambiance a breeze. Everything is right at one's finger tips. We had the ability to preview any song we wanted and if it wasn't available AL went out of his way to find it....Thank you. Al found the exact color we wanted for our "uplighting" (money we set aside for a band). Our reception venue glowed in the perfect hue of purple we wanted. (He has hundreds of color choices on his web chart, amazing, I never knew how many shades of purple there were!) It WAS absolutely beautiful!! (we still paid less than the band and I have NO regrets).
    Our crowd was mostly young 20-30 age range and the dance floor was packed with happy dancers, just what we wanted. With his web selection process "you" create the musical ambiance that "you" want. My 17 yo and her friends were thrilled we chose a DJ, so they could hear the "artists" music. I knew I made the right choice in DJ when my day of coordinator (also amazing) Anthony Navarro raved about Al.
    Thanks again Al and Stacy!! Maureen and Ron

Sent on 06/11/2012

Paula · Married on 04/21/2012

The company rocked! The DJ did an amazing job, not only in sensing what type of music would keep the crowd going, but also in going out of his way to make sure he played songs that my husband and I liked. Further, my venue offered more than one way of setting up the system, and this vendor knew exactly which way would result in the best sound and best interaction. My guests had a blast, and so did we!

Sent on 06/17/2012
  • User2520981 · 2+ years ago

Our DJ was wonderful - all of our meetings prior to the wedding were very thorough. Our DJ was professional and able to keep our guests dancing all night long.

Sent on 07/04/2012

Carrie · Married on 03/31/2012

I chose Okyne Media Lab because friends had used them before and I couldn't have been happier with everything. Al and Stacy are very helpful and accommdating. And Matt, our DJ, was so helpful and not only did a great job with the music, but also tried to do anything in his power to help me throughout the night. He didn't need to get me cocktails, lol. All in all, it couldn't have been more perfect!!

Sent on 04/15/2012

Alison · Married on 03/31/2012

Okyne MediaLab was a joy to work with! We loved all of the online tools they provided and they were quite helpful in planning out our day. Besides the online tools, meeting with Al a week before our event not only helped us to solidify our day of schedule, it also put many of our fears to rest and we were confident that our wedding would go on without a hitch. Our DJ, Alan, was attentive and extremely flexible with some of our last minute changes. We received numerous compliments from our guests about how great the music was and the dance floor was always packed! The uplighting was beautiful and it made the reception hall look stunning!

Sent on 06/30/2012
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 03/10/2012

Alan, Stacy, & the Entire Okyne MediaLab company were so attentive to us from day one when we met them at the Chicago Wedding Expo. They are the most technologically saavy DJ company I have ever come accross. Our DJ, Alan, who specializes in the "Dance/Dubstep" music that my husband and I like, did an incredible job reading the crowd & knowing exactly what song to play next. The dancefloor was crowded the entire night, (after all of the scheduled events of course!) and I received so many texts/facebooks/calls the next morning asking about the DJ and complimenting us on the music. Overall, i would recommend Okyne Medialab to any bride that wants her day to go perfect, a bride who wants to give her thoughts and ideas to a DJ, and let them take care of the rest. Thank You so much Al & Stacy<3

-Amanda Arnier-Passenheim

Sent on 03/12/2012
  • Kelly & Eric

Kelly · Married on 11/06/2011

If I had a billion dollars, I'd buy out Okyne and have them DJ my every evening.
    But I don't, so I merely had them DJ my wedding. You should do the same. We received mountains upon mountains of compliments for our wedding, and we would not have been so blessed without Okyne.
    From first glance to wedding night, Okyne was a dream. Okyne's owner Al is simultaneously professional and laid back, and in our first meeting he effectively demonstrated his DJ's capabilities via laptop. A significant selling point to me - which all of you newlyweds should consider - was an ability to mix music; and he did so effortlessly.
    Furthermore, and this is quite important, his company has a highly usable interface for searching and selecting songs for every stage of your ceremony. This functionality was unique among other wedding DJs we considered. This was a big selling point for us and we chose Okyne based, in part, on this functionality. It gives you a massive amount of control for your wedding, and provides a framework for thinking about how your evening should sound.
    As our wedding date neared, our instincts were our reward. Al paired us with a DJ based solely on our initial conversations with him, and he was quite wise. Our musical requests for our wedding were quite specific, but our DJ, Matt G, instantly understood our plan for our wedding - New Orleans Jazz for the ceremony, followed by the American songbook and Southern blues for the cocktail hour, ambient techno for dinner, and then alternative dance for the reception. Music truly is my life; I had a vision, and Matt turned it into a reality that our guests, to my continuing humility, compliment my wife and I today.
    Whatever vision you may have for your wedding, I am confident Okyne can do the same for you. Have a wonderful life together, with our compliments.

Sent on 09/17/2012

Sarah · Married on 11/05/2011

We really loved working with Okyne Media. The prep process with Al was so easy and convenient and our DJ, Matt, did an absolutely amazing job at our wedding! From the beginning of the night he did an excellent job of introducing himself, lining everyone up for the entrance and making the night flow so smoothly. At one point he really stepped up and helped us with the order and timing of things and made the whole night run perfectly. I've had multiple comments from a wide age range of guests who commented on the music for the evening. The dance floor was PACKED all night long and Matt did an excellent job of making that happen. So, we just wanted to say thank you - we loved working with Okyne Media and especially Matt.

Sent on 11/25/2011

Megan · Married on 10/22/2011

Would HIGHLY recommend using Al and the rest of the guys at Okyne Medialab. I've been to several weddings that they have dj'd at so I didn't even hesitate to hire them for ours. The dance floor was packed all night. I love that I got to put in my music preferences and talk to my dj before our event. Therefore, the music was tailored to our tastes and not some premade mix. I believe you get what you pay for and they were worth every penny.

Sent on 12/16/2011

Trisha · Married on 10/01/2011

My husband and I hired Okyne Medialab for our wedding in the fall. We had met other DJ's and didn't feel like they understood what we wanted. That was definately was not a problem when I met with Al. He seemed to understand exactly what kind of music we wanted to hear and started playing examples on his laptop right away. He and Stacy were on top of everything and stayed in contact all the way up to our wedding. We were assigned DJ Jimmy and couldn't have been happier. He followed our online planning form to perfection and had our dance floor packed all night long. We received several compliments from our guests on how fun the music was to dance to. If you want a DJ you can count on to make your planning stress free and deliver results, this is it.

Sent on 12/29/2011

Jen · Married on 10/01/2011

AL is the best DJ we could have asked for! He and his wife Stacy are incredible to work with through the whole process. We had the dance floor packed all night :) We have been to several weddings now with Okyne DJ'ing and they are perfect whether you are a guest or the bride and groom! I would highly recommend them!

Sent on 01/26/2012