National Press Club Reviews

National Press Club 1
National Press Club 2
National Press Club 3

Christine Fortin · Married on 06/01/2019

Best value for a downtown DC wedding!

Holding our wedding reception at the National Press Club was the best decision we could have made! The Press Club is historic, uniquely DC, and the perfect place for both our out-of-town and local guests to enjoy. Cara was a dream to work with and I can't say enough fabulous things about her and her team. The service was impeccable and the food was absolutely delicious which made it a wonderful evening for everyone! From start to finish, Cara was so responsive, helpful, and made the whole planning process a breeze. I researched many venues before deciding on the Press Club. They offered the most reasonable prices for a downtown DC venue and truly provided the most value for the money spent. Your guests will never attend a wedding at a venue quite like the Press Club which will make it a memorable day for all. I wouldn't have changed one thing!

Sent on 07/03/2019
  • akatian

Tian · Married on 05/18/2019

Best Vendor of Our Wedding - Makes Things Happen

National Press Club is one of our favorite vendors for our wedding. Their venue is historic, classic and romantic and was located at the heart of the Washington DC - 2 blocks away from the white house! Their in-house kitchen 'the fourth estate restaurant' was awesome, the hors d'oeuvres, crab cakes and desserts are top notch and the price was reasonable. If you want the guests to enjoy a fresh out of the oven meal on your wedding day, then the Press Club is the place for you.

The event manager Cara was amazing, she went above and beyond of her duties and made our wedding day flawless and memorable. She is very professional and knowledgeable about the venue and the kitchen, she also took the initiative in accommodating our requests. I did not hire a wedding planner and decided to do it by myself - with Cara's help, the entire process was not too painful for me because I could just talk to her about all my questions of the venue, the food and the cake! It felt like 3-vendors-in-1.

The venue staff was friendly too, David was a great help setting up the ceremony/reception room the night before. The entire experience was amazing, we are so glad that we chose the National Press Club and highly recommend it to everyone!

Sent on 06/06/2019

Chris · Married on 03/16/2019

Uniquely Washingto

The National Press Club was a fantastic choice for our wedding. We were aiming for a central location, unique experience, and easy logistics. It nailed all three. From our first interactions with Cara, she was there to answer any questions and provide useful suggestions. The food was amazing (our guests keep talking about crab cakes) and the planning was incredibly easy. It's nice that they have all the catering items in-house already. The whole team was flexible and accommodating, and Cara's extra coordination efforts to make all of our wedding party comfortable and organized was helpful. The venue itself is uniquely Washington with lots of available photo shots (including easy access to Pennsylvania Ave). We highly recommend having a look at the Press Club.

Sent on 04/02/2019
    National Press Club 4

Kimberly · Married on 06/16/2018

We chose the National Press Club for our wedding reception and we had the best experience imaginable! Cara Lanza was absolutely wonderful to work with and was extremely responsive during the entire planning process. We knew that the day-of execution was in good hands with Cara and her team. The venue and food were a huge hit with our guests, and we were so pleased with how everything turned out. We are so glad that we chose the National Press Club for our special day!

Sent on 08/12/2018

AC · Married on 04/28/2018

NPC was the PERFECT venue for our all-day, fusion Christian-Hindu wedding and I cannot say enough good things about our experience working with them and their events manager, Michelle Licht. Michelle and her team helped us plan two ceremonies, an afternoon tea, cocktail hour, and a reception, and didn't bat an eye at our unusual requests for open flames during our Hindu ceremony, use of their lobby for a traditional Indian welcoming ceremony, or our request for multiple private rooms to use as changing areas between events. She also met with us about 8-10 times for walk-throughs over the course of 1.5 years to help us plan our day. We were lucky to find a venue that allowed us to use three distinct gathering spaces--two lounges and a ballroom--so our guests didn't feel "trapped" all day, and that waived the room rental fee after meeting a minimum for catering. NPC's furnishings are really beautiful and the DC atmosphere shines through in the signed photos of politicians and celebrities on the walls and the antique newspaper print artifacts. Executive Chef Susan Delbert and her team patiently worked with us to craft an absolutely delicious, custom Indian menu that included vegetarian, meat, and dessert dishes (seriously--where else have you heard of a non-Indian caterer being willing to make Indian sweets?) specific to the region of India where my husband's family is from, and very graciously hosted us for multiple tastings, speaking with us about the specific recipes used and the sourcing of the ingredients. The Western-style dishes were also superb, and all food was BEAUTIFULLY served on platters artfully arranged on the buffets--NOT in predictable chafing dishes where the artistry of the food is completely lost. Our guests were especially wowed by the giant wheel of parmesan cheese the buffet-side chefs used to finish preparing guests' custom risotto orders. NPC is a beautiful and unique venue managed by absolute pros and is a total gem of a wedding venue.

Sent on 05/06/2018

julia · Married on 11/11/2017

I cannot say enough amazing things about The National Press Club and Cara. If you are thinking of getting married here- do it!! Make sure you ask for Cara Lanza- she is the absolute best. She is super response to e-mails, and so easy to work with. She exceeded all of my husband and my expectations. She was very helpful and realistic in all of her suggestions- such a professional.
    My husband and I were looking for a DC venue that was not a hotel, and The National Press Club was the perfect spot for our November wedding. The venue itself is so beautiful and filled with history, it was a great place for our out of town guests to really feel like they were in DC.
    The various rooms were all gorgeous and our guests really enjoyed getting to stand by the podium, step and repeat, flags, photos, and newspaper plaques. The food was amazing- way better than the "standard wedding food". Service was great- so many servers all around making sure my husband and I, and our guests were comfortable throughout the night (and well fed)!
    I am so happy we found The National Press Club and Cara. They truly made our wedding the best night of our lives!!

Sent on 04/03/2018
    National Press Club 5
    National Press Club 6

Kevin · Married on 07/15/2017

We held our wedding at the press club on July 15th and can't say enough good things about the venue, food, and especially efforts of event manager Michelle Licht. The venue itself is quintessential DC, with an array of photos and plaques that convey the history and story of the city. Our out of town guests in particular loved this aspect of the space, and it was great to see them interacting with the venue. In terms of the food, we had numerous guests compliment us on the quality, and we found the food at the reception just as delicious as during the delightful and thorough tasting when we made our selections. Finally, we don't have enough words to praise events manager Michelle Licht who went above and beyond to ensure our event went off without a hitch. From coordinating with all our vendors, to adjusting to a day of request for a small side room for my wife and I to have a brief respite before the reception, she ensured that the day was perfect. The press club is a hidden gem of a wedding venue and we'd encourage anyone to hold their reception there.

Sent on 07/29/2017

Clare · Married on 10/22/2016

My daughter's wedding reception at The National Press Club was just wonderful! Our entire event flowed so smoothly and the entire staff was very attentive to detail, professional, and flexible with dietary changes. The food was delicious and we received so many compliments from our guests on not only the food but also how pleasant and helpful everyone was. Prior to the event Cara, our manager was the best, always available, accommodating, and a calm presence. I can't think of a better venue for such a joyous occasion!

Sent on 10/26/2016
  • Charlene

Charlene · Married on 07/30/2016

Absolutely, positively GO FOR IT if you're considering the Press Club for your downtown wedding. I'd rate them ten stars if I could. The food was incredible - where else have you ever heard (almost all) the guests rave about grilled chicken breast at a wedding? The setting is very elegant and very DC, with all the press photos and wood paneling. The pricing was beyond reasonable for the location and amenities. But the real star of the show is Cara Lanza, who took such a huge load off this bride's mind with her incredible work ethic and expertise. She is attentive, communicative, proactive, and could probably pull off flawless weddings in her sleep. I am so happy with how everything worked out at our wedding, but I think the single best decision we made was the Press Club. It just made so many other things go smoothly, without any added stress on our part. We love you Cara! :) Matt and Charlene, July 30

Specifics: We ended up at about 150 guests (including 5 kids) and 10 vendor meals. Open bar for 4 hours, plus wine only during dinner.

Sent on 08/09/2016

When planning your daughter's wedding, you dream that the reception will be beautiful, with professional and attentive service, delicious food, fun, unique. worry-free and memorable. The National Press Club was all of that and more; a perfect 10 and surpassed our high expectations.

In Cara Lanza's capable hands, from our first meeting to wedding day logistics, all aspects from ceremony, to wedding reception flow and orchestration were expertly executed.

We had 200 guests but the event felt comfortable and roomy, yet intimate at the same time. The cocktail hour space was particularly roomy and no guest had to elbow their way to the bar.

The food was terrific, the wait staff friendly and professional. To echo our guests comments, this was the best wedding they had ever been to. If there were hiccups behind the scene, no one (including me) ever knew about them.

I recommend the National Press Club without reservation as a wedding venue. Thank you for making our special day perfect. We would not have changed a thing!

Sent on 07/03/2016

I would highly recommend this as a wedding venue. Our guests all appreciated its uniqueness, and George was helpful during the planning. Our wedding food turned out to be great, too!

Sent on 06/20/2016

Cara and her team at the National Press Club have been an absolute joy to work with. She replies very promptly to communications, provided helpful feedback and suggestions and always professional, personable and friendly. The Executive Chef Susan Delbert and her team make amazing food with passion, care and beautiful, high quality ingredients. A real hidden gem!

Sent on 02/24/2015

Mitch · Married on 10/24/2015

We LOVED our wedding at the Press Club. It is a wonderful venue that is very unique and in a great location with beautiful and historic surroundings. Cara was very helpful and made sure that we got exactly what we wanted and the porters and staff were very friendly and professional. Plus the food was terrific, we received a ton of compliments on how tasty it was. Overall, it was the perfect spot for our wedding.

Sent on 10/27/2015

WOW, where do I even start. A 5 out of 5 doesn't even begin to touch on how wonderful this location is. If you want the quintessential DC experience you must use the National Press Club. And you can't beat the prices. This is one of the few if not the only place in DC where they will waive the room rental fees if you meet a certain food and beverage minimum. Why waste your money at all the other DC places for just a room when you can get the best bang for your buck here AND have an amazing reception. From the first moment of contacting Patty Powers she couldn't have been more helpful, informative and gracious. She is the most responsive vendor I have ever worked with, every time I emailed her I had a response within 5 minutes and she was always available by phone. Every walk thru she gave great suggestions and insight on things that worked at previous events. Her estimates for pricing were spot on!! She was phenomenal and I am actually kind of sad that my wedding is over because that means I don't get to work with her anymore. The food tasting was delicious and the Chefs were so nice and honest about what they were making and where it was sourced from. On the day of my wedding reception everything was perfect and even blew my high expectations out of the water. My guests were raving about how attentive the staff all were and how scrumptious the food was. I could keep on rambling here about how beyond WONDERFUL this whole location is but I hope you are getting the point. Don't waste a second of your time looking at other places. book here and you won't be sorry!!!

Sent on 07/28/2015

Mariam · Married on 11/22/2014

Cara and her entire team were amazing. We had some issues with a previous venue we booked and Cara was so helpful in making some huge, last minute changes to our entire wedding. We really couldn't have pulled this off without the Press Club team. From day-of coordination to communicating with our vendors, the team was prompt and responsive. They made our wedding day a truly special day!

Sent on 02/24/2015
  • I

Ilana · Married on 11/01/2014

We had our wedding here about a month ago and we could not have asked for a better DC venue! We planned our wedding from out of state and George Arfken, the event coordinator for the Press Club, made the process really easy. We were not able to see the venue in person until a few days before the wedding. When we met with George for a walk-through and lunch at the Press Club restaurant, he had already been in contact with all of our vendors to confirm set-up times and discuss logistics. I did not have a wedding planner, but with George's help I really didn't feel like I needed one. He made sure that everything went smoothly on the day-of.

The venue itself is such a cool space with lots of history. It's also in a beautiful part of downtown DC, which was great because all of our guests were from out-of-town. We also liked that there was a very nice JW Marriott next-door to the Press Club. We had our wedding-block at the Marriott, so it was very easy for guests to get to and from the wedding.

I would highly recommend the National Press Club as the wedding venue! Compared to other venues that we looked at the price was fairly reasonable. We are still getting compliments on the wedding venue and the food.

Sent on 11/25/2014

Sylvia · Married on 02/08/2014

Cinderella was here! I worked in the National Press Building for years and was no stranger to the National Press Club. Yet the rooms we rented (The First Amendment Room connected to the Holeman Lounge by a large bar) went from press conference-style to elegant reception in a snap. For anyone planning an event that involves a live band, I heartily recommend the arrangement we opted for. Our 7-piece band (The Fabulettes, who were, well... fabulous) was just pleasant background for the folks who chatted in the First Amendment. The Holeman Lounge (which has a dance floor AND a fireplace -- what other venue can claim that?!), is perfect for dancing. We had 100 guests, and the combined space was the right size. Lots of people in both, seats for all. We had the food (heavy h'os) in the First Amendment and set up dessert and coffee in an alcove off the First Amendment. The staff is in credibly accommodating, which is important if you are trying to maintain your regular work schedule in the weeks leading up to a big reception. They worked with the band to ensure ease of access to the building and even handled ordering a big flower arrangement for the food tables when I just couldn't get to that part. (What bride says that? ME!!) Elegant space+professional staff+fun guests+good food+great band=A night to remember always.

Sent on 02/11/2014

Ken · Married on 01/17/2014

My wife and I hosted a Rehearsal Dinner for 120 people for our son's wedding here; cocktails in the First Amendment Room and Dinner in the Holeman Lounge. The event was FANTASTIC start to finish. We worked with Cara to plan the event; she is an absolute professional in every way. Every last detail is carefully considered and worked out. The food was outstanding; like a five star restaurant. Service was impeccable. The atmosphere was perfect. I highly recommend the National Press Club.

Sent on 01/24/2014

Super amazing!! There are many venues in DC area that we can choose but we loved working with George whom was the event coordinator at the Press Club. From the beginning of the planning to the date of the wedding, George has been responsive, accommodating, flexible to our request and absolutely easy to work with. Everything was done beautifully and beyond our expectation....BIG THUMBS UP!!!!

Sent on 10/27/2013

Justin · Married on 08/10/2013

We're both young journalists who live and work in the Washington area, so the National Press Club was a wonderful and fitting venue for our wedding reception.

First, there's the venue itself. The Press Club's got a lot of great history to it, and it showcases that history in a way that really makes you wish sometimes that those walls could talk. All of the times I've brought guests there from out of town, they've spent plenty of time looking around at the assortment of photos and other journalism artifacts in the club.

The planning process went very smoothly, especially for a couple without a wedding planner or coordinator. Patty Powers was a joy to work with; whenever we had questions of any sort, she had a prompt and thoughtful answer or list of suggestions for us. She was especially helpful guiding us through the process of putting together a menu with the variety of options at the Press Club.

On that note, the food was fantastic; several of our guests told us it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding reception. We went with different food stations around the edge of the ballroom, and all of it was delicious and presented beautifully. (The risotto station in particular drew a lot of interest.) Several of our family members and friends have different dietary restrictions, and the club handled all of those with ease.

Finally, there's the service the evening of the reception. Patty was there to greet us and our families when we arrived, and she always made sure we were comfortable. She and the servers and bartenders went above and beyond several times throughout the evening, and we definitely appreciated it.

All in all, the reception and the planning leading up to it went extremely well, and we're very glad to have picked the Press Club for it!

Sent on 09/21/2013

Mike · Married on 04/20/2013

Contacted Cara Lanza in early Feb about April 20 wedding and she couldn't have been more helpful. She worked with me every step of the way right up to the last minute. We found the prices much more reasonable than any other venue in Washington DC on Wedding Wire. Ours was a small wedding, just 14 of us so we had the ceremony and lunch in the same room. The service and food were OUTSTANDING! We took a chance and served the Roasted Duck and everyone was still raving about it the next morning at breakfast. It's somewhat daunting to plan a wedding in DC from Dallas TX, not seeing the venue or tasting the food, but thanks to Cara and the NPC everything went smoothly and seamlessly. By the way, Cara and NPC allowed us to bring in our own flowers, so we ordered them from Whole Foods and they were magnificent and very reasonable.

Sent on 04/23/2013

Jeff · Married on 04/06/2013

More than just a venue, a true service. Our host, George Arfken, couldn't have been more responsive and helpful. He advised us on how best to organize the space, and gave us tips on how to track down the right vendors. And so professional! When an invited guest brought along an unexpected friend, George quietly took care of it without missing a beat! The in-house catering was spectacular. The chef herself invited us to an evening for tasting a variety of appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and it was hard to choose -- they were all wonderful. Yes, we checked out several other venues, but the Press Club offered far and away the best value in a wonderful location in the heart of Washington DC.

Sent on 05/11/2013

Emily · Married on 04/28/2012

I cannot say enough about the positive experience we had at the National Press Club. We were looking for a unique to DC venue that wasn't a hotel and that could accommodate a larger wedding (200+) -- it was very important to us to get married in DC itself -- and this is a hidden gem. We worked with Michelle who was wonderful -- literally everything we asked for she delivered on. At our tasting/planning meeting, she took copious notes (right down to napkin placement and favors on the table, etc), and provided them to us the next business day for review. She went above and beyond on the wedding day, personally arranging our escort cards, placing favors, etc., etc. The pricing was very straightforward -- no hidden surprises on the day of, and the invoices were provided with lots of time to review. We had such a great experience here!

Sent on 05/10/2012

Kathryn · Married on 03/30/2012

We held our son and daughter-in-law's rehearsal dinner at the National Press Club in March and enthusiastically recommend it as a venue. What better place to be in Washington D.C. than to overlook the White House during this exciting event in our lives!

The food was delicious (everyone raved about the risotto station and the desserts, of course). We especially valued the excellent service that the staff provided. All were attentive to our every question and request, and served in a non-intrusive manner that was most pleasant.

It is truly a magical venue for any event.

Sent on 05/11/2012
  • Victoria

Victoria · Married on 11/18/2011

My husband and I decided to have a very small wedding (about 40 people) and we were concerned that we'd either be swallowed up by the many giant venues in DC, and/or receive sub-par service because we wouldn't be spending a lot of money. However, when we visited the National Press Club, we knew right away that it would be the perfect venue to celebrate this very important day, and wine and dine our small party of family and friends.

The NPC has several different rooms for parties of varying sizes, each one with the classic feel of a traditional DC wedding with beautiful views. The planning staff at the NPC were a dream to work with. Cara Lanza and George Arfkin are true professionals who took care to ensure that our event would be perfect - no request was too big! Planning the event was seamless, and Cara and George made us feel very comfortable and welcome. We never once doubted that we were in great hands.

When we arrived at the event, everything was exactly how we had envisioned it. There was clearly an entire web of communication going on behind the scenes - between the NPC and the linen company, DJ, etc. - so we didn't have to worry about a thing. The staff was so friendly and welcoming - even the bartender, Felix, wrote us a lovely note on a napkin wishing us the best in our new life together.

Of course, the views of the monuments, White House, the streets of DC were breath-taking. The ambiance was warm and classic, and the food was exceptional. Many of our guests commented that it was the best food they ever had at a wedding. We still visit the Fourth Estate restaurant to get a taste of our wedding reception and say hello to the staff members that still recognize us (Stephanie knows her stuff!).

I would highly recommend this venue to couples looking for a traditional District of Columbia wedding. You will not be disappointed with the customer service, quality of food, ambiance of the venue, or overall ease of planning with their excellent staff. The National Press Club made us feel so special, and we wouldn't have changed a thing.

Sent on 02/06/2012