Music of the Times Reviews

43 | Midlothian, VA

43 Reviews for Music of the Times

Sarah · Married on 09/29/2018

Jim is perfect!

From the moment we first met with James we knew he was the DJ for us. He was easy to talk to, down to earth, and made sure that our day was all about US. He worked flawlessly with all of our other vendors and did an amazing job of keeping us on schedule. He was unobtrusive and honored our requests perfectly. A bad DJ can ruin a wedding and I feel like its all about personality. James Hock was perfect and having him for our DJ was an amazing decision. I would choose him again in a heartbeat and recommend him a million times over!

Matthew · Married on 11/18/2017

Dj Jim was amazing. From the consultation to the end of the night he absolutely killed it. Even when we were so busy we couldn’t meet in person he had no problem FaceTiming for most of our meetings. He followed all our instructions, got all the songs we requested even the obscure ones. I absolutely recommend him for any and all occasions. Thanks so much for making our day special.

Andrea · Married on 04/15/2017

DJ Jim did a fabulous job at our wedding a few weeks ago. Jim was knowledgeable, flexible, and listened to our music preferences. Our initial planning call helped set the stage for the event and right away, we could tell that we were going to make an excellent decision booking him for our event! We had a lot of good ideas about what music we wanted during the ceremony and reception, and he stayed true to that. Just before dinner, we had a HUGE thunderstorm pass through...Jim capitalized on this and infused some fun rain-themed tunes into the playlist before jumping back into our original set list. We appreciated that little touch. Our reception and ceremony was at the same venue (but different areas of the property), and he did an excellent job setting up the equipment and sound to seamlessly transition between ceremony and the cocktail hour. Several friends came up to us during the event or afterward to compliment us on how great the music was and what a good time they had dancing. If you are looking for a DJ who will get and keep your party on the dance floor, look no further!

Lindsey · Married on 09/18/2016

James from music of the times was the best decision of all the decisions that were made when it came to planning our own wedding. James was quick to respond whenever needed. His quality of service went above and beyond. He is truly more than just a DJ. Without him our wedding would not Have been half of what it was. James delivered when it came to the music choices and quality. He was in tune with the crowd and kept the vibe on the right track. He also went above and beyond with his MC duties. Making sure things were happening close to when they should and keeping an eye on vendors for us to make sure everything was in line for the event. James had our back with whatever decisions we made, even the last minute ones , making sure the bride and I stayed happy. Thanks James and music of the times.

• User7195662 · 2+ years ago

James was helpful with suggesting songs for the vibe we were trying to go for. He did our ceremony and reception. We wanted everyone to dance and party the reception and he definitely made that happen. People kept complimenting me on the playlist when I all I did was tell James my favorite genre/ bands. This was the vendor I was most nervous about because I had been to wedding with bad DJs but he put all my fears to rest. He was great!!!!

Kristine · Married on 06/18/2016

Jim is THE BEST DJ in Richmond! We were pretty lost when it came to making the playlist for our wedding. We had a small handful of ideas. Jim was able to feed off of that and give us many options, suggestions and samples in order to fill in any holes. We received so many compliments from our guests about how great the music was. Jim was awesome when it came to coordinating with the planner to make sure everything ran on time, and kept the crowd engaged and dancing the entire evening. Jim is very experienced and was able to help make that part of our wedding stress-free and super fun, and we really appreciate that. I highly recommend for ANY event.

Many, many thanks to Jim at Music of the Times,
    Kristine and Danny.

adam · Married on 09/12/2015

James Hock was an entertaining DJ who obviously knew what he was doing. This was not his 1st rodeo.

We told him that we didn't want to worry about anything, and he took that and ran with it. He essentially coordinated our wedding. He was on top of everything timing-wise. He has a great presence. He was there when he needed to be, and then sat back and let the party handle itself when it needed to.

James met with us multiple times to go over the day of and our music taste. There were ZERO surprises the day of our wedding. I would highly suggest getting the lighting package. It takes the event to another level for a low price.

Thanks James!
    -Adam and Stephanie

Crystal · Married on 07/21/2015

James at Music of the Times was AMAZING!! He was a great DJ, able to read the crowd and what would get people on the floor and stay dancing all night. He was also a great MC, able to get the crowd going and inserting humor in the perfect situations. He did the music for our ceremony and for our reception, worked with the staff at our venue and was great at getting everyone set up for the next "thing"(ie: cake, bouquet, garter etc...). He was so flexible, since our wedding was on a Tuesday and worked with us over email and phone since we planned our weddding from another state. He is awesome and I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for an all around great person to work with!!!
    -Crystal and Matt

Jim was the DJ for our wedding and he was, in a word, fantastic! We felt comfortable working with him from the first time we met him, and he was invaluable during both the lead-up to our wedding and throughout the actual wedding day. He provided music for our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception…no easy task considering they were all outdoors on the same plantation. We made a lot of very specific requests for all three of these stages, and Jim was able to follow through on all of them. We heard every song we requested when we requested it, and he also did a wonderful job of filling in the blanks and keeping the party active! As a result, it was an incredible day. Jim not only did a great job with the music and as an emcee, but he was incredibly considerate to both myself and my wife throughout the event. He was constantly making sure we had whatever we needed, be it a drink or a snack or anything else. Also, he worked seamlessly with our photographer and caterers to make sure everything happened when and where it was supposed to happen. Jim made sure we didn’t run into any issues. Do NOT miss the opportunity to work with Jim. You won’t regret it!

• Jessica

Jessica · Married on 05/15/2015

Jeremy with Music of the Times is a total sweetheart! He provided ceremony music and reception music and listened to everything we wanted. The process of planning was really streamlined and simple with the forms they provide so it really is just cut and dry. His presence at our event was great and everything was magical.

Katie · Married on 04/18/2015

I had an amazing wedding! Jim from Music of the times did an incredible job. He did the music for my ceremony, reception, and even had music going in a separate cocktail room. Not only was the music on point, but he was also the master of ceremonies and did some amazing lighting effects. Great guy! He made my wedding look and feel like it was a million bucks.

• Melissa

Melissa · Married on 04/11/2015

We used Jim from Music of the Times for our wedding and loved him! Jim was so professional and great to work with from the very first meeting. He took care of our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception music, and played every single song we wanted to hear. We had very specific requests for the ceremony and cocktail hour music that we wanted, and Jim definitely delivered. His emceeing services were fantastic, and we were thrilled with how well he transitioned the wedding from ceremony into reception. We had an afternoon wedding and were worried that there wouldn't be much dancing, but Jim still got people on the dance floor and found the perfect blend of music to keep them there. His prices were also extremely reasonable, even with our wedding on a tight budget. We couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Thank you, Jim!

Jim was absolutely fabulous! We gave him some general info on song styles we like as well as a few "do not play" songs, and he was spot on with his choices. He even took the time to edit the father-daughter song to just play the parts we wanted. My husband and I both commented that we've never been to a wedding with that many people on the dance floor - everyone was loving the music. Jim was very good about checking in with us prior to the wedding to make sure everything he had was still what we wanted and he was great about checking in with us that night to see if we needed anything. Couldn't have asked for a better night! Would highly recommend!

Marlee · Married on 09/14/2014

DJ Jeremy did a wonderful job DJ-ing our wedding!! From our very first meeting with him, Jeremy was so personable and fun to work with and he helped to make sure that our reception timeline went as smoothly as possible. We had also included a spot on our RSVPs for guests to request specific songs and Jeremy handled all of those special requests quickly and with no problems at all! I'm a firm believer that a bad DJ can ruin an entire wedding reception, but I am 125% happy with my choice in DJ Jeremy and Music of the Times! If I could, I would give them 6 stars!

Jim was excellent! He was recommended by a friend and he surpassed my expectations as a DJ for our wedding. During our initial meeting, my husband and I loved how professional he was and really seemed to understand his role as a DJ at a wedding. We immediately booked him! He really wants to make your wedding day about what you want--he did exactly what we wanted!!! He's affordable, organized, and just down to earth (no gimmicks) as a person.

PennyLee · Married on 07/12/2014

We couldn't have asked for a better DJ! We would recommend Music of the Times to anyone looking for a great DJ. Very organized, worked well with all of our other vendors, great price, all positives. We didn't have a big dancing crowd but Jim kept the party going and everything went extremely well.

I could not have asked for a better DJ then Jim Hock. He was so helpful, we gave him a list of the songs we wanted to play and he played all of them. All of our ideas were used, and he was so flexible when we had a few people request certain songs at the wedding to us. We just asked and he played them. All of our friends had a BLAST dancing, and even our flower girls loved the music selections. We never told him what to play when and he did a great job organizing what WE wanted. He told us that he was there for US that day and he truly was. He always told us when things were going to happen and was very professional. I would recommend him to any of my friends. He was FANTASTIC!

Sara · Married on 07/05/2014

It was a truly wonderful experience working with Jim throughout our wedding planning! He was very accommodating to our requests, brought in another DJ when we realized we needed 3 areas set-up for sound (ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception), and was very helpful answering our questions when we met with him in person!
    On the wedding day, he showed up on time, was very professional, and I thought he may have been reading my mind because he played all the right music at the right times! Jim also did uplighting for our reception hall and it looked great! We had a fabulous time and Jim really helped to make it perfect!

Chelsea · Married on 05/25/2014

We met with several DJs before finally finding the one...DJ Jim. We wanted a DJ that we felt would make the party happen and keep it going. He definitely did that! During our meeting with him, he asked many questions to understand our style. We just clicked with him. He played the wide range of music we wanted for our reception. At the end of the night, the dance floor was completely filled. I had to get on the microphone and actually ask everyone to leave. He made the party happen and kept it going! I highly recommend DJ Jim.

Eleanor · Married on 05/24/2014

We just had our wedding this past week. Jim was wonderful to work with and we feel like the music was one of the best parts of our wedding. I'm a teacher who ended up switching grade levels and our wedding date fell at the busiest time: Standardized Testing. In all the chaos of planning the wedding and prepping my class for the SOL's I totally forgot about sending my music list to Jim. But he was on top of it! He emailed me about two weeks before the wedding to set up a meeting where we could sit down and finalize our song list. My fiancé and I met Jim right around the block where we lived, even though I know it was far away from where Jim lived (i.e. Jim's willing to travel the distance). The wedding day had it's hiccups, one of our buses got lost on the way to the reception site, so we ended up having less dancing time at the wedding but Jim totally worked in more songs during dinner and kept them to our genre. Everyone enjoyed the music and he made every dance song count since we were shorted on time. Best of all I didn't hear one "do not playlist" song the whole night! Jim was so flexible and professional. I recommend him whole heartedly to anyone looking for a good DJ. The evening ended up being magical despite those hiccups and I had several people tell me, my fiancé, and my family at different points it was the best wedding they had ever been too and that every song played was such a winner!

Melanie · Married on 11/08/2013

Jeremy from Music of the Times was a wonderful DJ. He found and played every song that we asked for, and filled in the rest of the playlist with music from the genres we selected. And he made sure that no songs on our "do not play" list were played, even if guests requested them. Our parents were concerned about the volume (that it would be too loud during dinner), but it was perfect the whole time.

sophfeia · Married on 10/13/2013

Jim was amazing to work with. Planning the music sélection for my reception with Jim was fun. Hé is very organized and very expérienced. During our first meeting, hé was very helpful with song ideas. Jim made sûre our ceremony music was recorded on a cd and ready to go for rehearsal and ceremony. Hé was always willing and going far and beyond what hé was suppose to do. We had an amazing time at our reception with Jim. We told him à few of our favorite genres and left it up to him to play music and hé did an amazing job. He always knew the right time to play à certain song and hé made sure we heard all of our must play songs. He kept the party going and was à great participator. In fact, we got married on football Sunday when our two rival teams were playing and Jim made it so fun and mémorable. Since the first day I met him I knew we were in good hands and I was right!!! If you want to make your event mémorable and have à great time, I highly recommend Music of the Times as your Dj vendor. A very well rounded, expérienced and professional group.

Holly · Married on 09/22/2013

He was a lot of help during the planning process, patient, kind and had a lot of great ideas and worked with my daughters music requests.

He was awesome on the wedding day, there early, set up and then helped us whereever he could. Everyone complimented us on him during and after the reception. His music and lighting were great and a great time was had by all. I highly recommend his services to all.

Jim was our MC/DJ for the wedding reception. He was recommended to us and we would recommend him to others. He is a great MC/DJ, organized, easy communicator, and reasonably priced. He provides guidelines to assist with the flow of the evening; he provides the guidelines and you provide the personal touch. He is able to adapt with unforeseeable situations (caused by others), and then get back on track. He stayed in contact with us throughout the evening, he offered suggestions and made sure that we were aware and agreed with the changes to the flow. Also, he provided up-lighting that he placed in the perfect places. All-in-all he is great and we enjoyed working with him.

Meg · Married on 08/03/2013

Jim was absolutely fantastic and was a great DJ for the wedding. It was so convenient to be able to work with him on lighting as well. He kept the evening moving and the dance floor was packed all night, which was exactly what we were going for!

Working with Jim leading up to the event was great as well; he was extremely responsive and flexible to whatever we wanted to do for our wedding. A fantastic experience all around!