57 Reviews for Mill 1 at Open Square

Specialty Beer (1)
Specialty Wine (1)
Glassware (1)
56 Mill 1 at Open Square Reviews

Mill 1 at Open Square is a beautiful event space. My husband and I got married there recently and it was perfect. Rustic and simple. Our event coordinator Julie was also amazing and was very helpful to us through the whole process, especially on the wedding day she was calm, cool, and collected- just what we needed! I would 100% recommend the Mill 1 for any event, it was a special day that we will remember forever.

Profile Picture Victoria, 5/26/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Mill One is a perfect venue, plain and simple. Extremely versatile space that will work for any type of wedding or event. The space speaks for itself, so for our casual wedding reception, we really did almost no decorating and it was still just stunning. The staff were professional, responsive, and friendly. 10/10!

Profile Picture Lydia, 5/5/18, 2 Reviews
3.0

This venue is absolutely stunning. It was the first place we saw and everything we saw after just couldn't compete. The floors are stunning. With all of the exposed brick, you really don't need that much decor. The reception place is huge and accommodated our 135 guests very comfortably with a large dance floor. We also booked Mill 4 for the ceremony and again, the space is stunning. The aesthetic of venue was everything that I wanted and the whole day was everything I hoped for. Beyond this, the mill produces its own electricity using the turbines that ran the factory. Although this might not be a factor for many couples, it was for us. We were thrilled that we were giving our money to a place that cares about being green. The reason why I did not give the venue the stars it should have received is because of the venue coordinator. We booked the space over a year out with a different venue coordinator who was so nice and friendly. In between booking and our wedding, another venue coordinator, Julie, came in. I'm sort of glad that we didn't meet Julie before booking because I don't know if we would have ultimately booked the space. Julie appeared to care more about the tour she was giving the day of the wedding than our wedding. She was extremely unhelpful. She might have coordinated the other vendors well but every interaction I had with her was negative. She said she would coordinate the rehearsal - she didn't do anything. She said that she would come and get us when it was time for the ceremony to start, she didn't. We ended up just walking over because we were already 10 minutes late. So not only did she not do anything she said she would do, she was unpleasant to even interact with. Overall, the space is gorgeous and I would still overall recommend it. However, I also recommend hiring a day of coordinator and make sure you interact with this venue coordinator as little as possible.

Profile Picture Christine, 12/2/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Barware, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Lighting, Tables

We loved having our Wedding at Mill One! It was the perfect venue all around. From unique spaces for pictures to the ceremony and reception spaces, everything was perfect. The staff were so helpful and easy to work with. Our day was perfect, thank you Mill One!

Profile Picture Casey, 10/14/17, 1 Review
4.7

We knew the second we walked into Mill 1 that it was the perfect venue for our wedding this past September. Maggie provided us with an amazing tour of the space. We particularly loved that she referenced lots of personal details from various weddings…She really made us feel like Mill 1 cares about their couples! We were so frequently turned off by “wedding factory” vibes we got from other places during our search for a venue…Maggie was refreshing!
Aesthetically, you can’t get much better than this for an indoor venue. Brick walls, large windows, those floors…it is an incredible blank slate that you have a lot of freedom to customize (or not). Personally, we liked the venue so much we didn’t want to take away from it and have too much going on. The bar selection and bar service was excellent!
Their list of preferred vendors was clutch as we were out of state. We found our hotels, DJ, and caterer from their recommendations and were NOT disappointed in the least. All of the vendors also commented on how much they liked working with and at Mill 1.
I would highly recommend getting a DOC or wedding planner. Our Mill 1 event coordinator Julie was available for questions and such prior to the wedding but they mean it when they don’t decorate or supervise the event. The day of our wedding, she was actually training a new staff member and giving tours so she wasn’t available to help us out much... We actually had to hunt her down to ask for directions to places to do our first look and take pictures. In the end we managed just fine but especially for a DIY bride, it was crucial to hire someone to set up and make sure the day flowed.

Profile Picture Cate, 9/30/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Mill 1 was the perfect space for our wedding. We fell in love with the space and loved that there was so much freedom in how we used the space. We had a larger wedding with 200 guests but everyone sat comfortably for the reception. We highly recommend this amazing, budget friendly venue. You will not be disappointed!

Profile Picture Jenny, 7/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Julie was very accommodating and professional. She made the process very easy and was on top of every detail.

Profile Picture Jose, 6/3/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Dance Floor, Lighting, Tables, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Parking, Barware

My wedding was amazing! The venue is beautiful, had my ceremony in Mill 4 and reception in mill 1. Staff was very easy and personable to work with. You can make the space look glamorous or rustic depending on your vision. We went industrial glam and added canvas pics and different decor to make it pop and add the glam factor.

Profile Picture Jocelyn, 11/11/16, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Perfect cold season venue. A little warm in the summer. Great for indoor weddings, pictures are great with an experienced and motivated photographer.

Profile Picture Erik, 10/28/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Mill 1 is a beautiful and modern setting for a wedding, and the pictures online do not do justice for how beautiful it is! When I showed my now husband pictures of the venue I chose he liked it, but when I took him there before the wedding he was blown away at how amazing the building is. The staff is extremely easy to work with and so very helpful, they really know what they're doing! Also with everything we had included the cost was very affordable compared to most other venues we looked at. Absolutely in love with Mill 1!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 10/1/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Beautiful character! Our guests loved the venue. If having an indoor ceremony/photos be sure that your photographer can provide lighting so you don't end up with any dark photos.

Profile Picture User5436786, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Signature Drink, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Lighting, Tables

Mill 1 at Open Square went above and beyond to ensure that we had a perfect wedding day!

The space itself is gorgeous-- exposed brick, hardwood floors, huge windows. The mill was restored beautifully and makes for the perfect event space. The fact that it was a net zero energy building was especially appealing to my husband- an architect interested in sustainable building practices.

Maggie and Denise were wonderful-- I had a lot of questions and ideas, and they were always responsive and accommodating. They certainly took care of us to help make it a stress free day!

Our guests continue to rave about the unique space, which just reaffirms for us what a fabulous choice it was to have our wedding at Mill 1.

Profile Picture Amy, 7/16/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Bridal Suite, Event Rentals, Liability Insurance, Barware, Bartender(s), House Liquor, Open Bar, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables
4.1

Incredible space!!! It was perfect for what we wanted our wedding to be and Maggie was great. We initially had started with another coordinator, but she left during the course of our planning. We had been told we could possibly come in the night before to set up if there was no other event and to take down the day after etc, but we were not allowed to do that despite no other events and had to end up getting a day of coordinator for set up, and had to take everything down the night of, which was chaotic as we had many of our friends and family helping, but not really what we wanted to be doing on our wedding night. We also had an open bar, but heard from multiple guests that there was very little alcohol in the drinks being served despite it being an open bar! That was very disappointing, embarrassing and frustrating considering how much we paid. I wish this had been brought to my attention at the time, but once we were told it was too late. Overall, we loved the space, but would recommend that every detail about timing is in writing, even if you are told otherwise, and make sure you get a solid pour at the bar!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture User5312177, 2+ years ago, 10 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Wine, Indoor, Tables, Barware, Parking, Bridal Suite

Amazing venue for both our ceremony and reception. Could not be any happier with the services Mill 1 provided. Management was great to work with. High recommend Mill 1.

Profile Picture Kevin, 6/11/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had lined up a few venues to check out for our ceremony and reception, and Mill 1 was the first place we visited. After meeting Maggie and seeing the space, we were hooked! We cancelled our other appointments and reserved our date. The fact that Open Square is a carbon-neutral space was a huge bonus for us, too.

The space was the perfect size for our reception (about 100 guests), and the staff worked hard to make sure that everything went smoothly before and during our wedding. The bar staff were on top of their game, too. So many of our guests remarked on how wonderful the space was, and we couldn't have been happier with our big day!

Profile Picture Connie, 5/28/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Barware, Glassware, Bridal Suite, Bartender(s), House Liquor, Signature Drink, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables

We had a winter wedding at Mill One and absolutely LOVED it! It was a great combination of rustic and modern. The atmosphere was perfect for the time of year and despite the early sunset the pictures came out amazing! We went through a couple event planners but were very happy we had Maggie in the end. She was very responsive to all our emails and endless questions and flexible for set and clean up. The day of our reception went very smoothly with Maggie and Casey's help. All the staff were very friendly and easy-going. We continue to receive compliments on the venue and space. Would DEFINITELY recommend it to anyone!!!

Profile Picture Kate , 1/2/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

What an amazing venue and staff! Maggie at Mill 1 helped make our dream wedding a reality. She was very easy to contact and accommodating all of our needs. We got so many compliments on the wedding and ceremony. Highly recommended!!

Profile Picture Rebecca, 11/14/15, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Event Rentals, Chairs
4.7

Mill 1 is such a beautiful event space and Maggie is wonderful to work with! My husband and I had the best night of our lives and couldn't have dreamed for a better wedding reception

Profile Picture User5631211, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I had our wedding reception last fall at Mill 1 and have been receiving compliments ever since. We liked that the space had such amazing character but at the same time is like a blank canvas in many ways that could be individualized to our vision.
While there were some communication issues following a change in management, once Maggie stepped in to help us finalize our plans things were quickly cleared up. I can't say enough good things about Maggie, the work that she does and her individualized attention to detail. She helped us relax and made is feel comfortable knowing that the small details of our big day were in her hands.
Additionally, we also loved having the option of choosing vendors from their preferred list (side note: Seth Mias catering is amazing!!)
If you're looking for a unique and adaptable space for your event I can't recommend Mill 1 enough!

Profile Picture User4830923, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
4.2

We had a great experience at Mill 1. It is a diamond in the rough considering its location, but many of our guests commented on what a beautiful and unique space it is. All the vendors must be brought in (although I hear that is changing and they will soon have an exclusive caterer) and the venue is a blank slate, but you can truly make it yours. Communication was great until the last week: the venue is going through some management changes that weren't communicated and some e-mails fell through, but otherwise it was very professionally run and a great place to have a wedding reception.

Profile Picture User5552834, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Chairs

Great venue! Everyone was flexible and great to work with!

Profile Picture Maureen, 10/3/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Mill 1 was perfect for our event. We had the most amazing wedding thanks to the help of the staff. Everyone I spoke to from Mill 1 was fantastic. Michelle helped me plan out the original details and then towards the end of planning I worked with Maggie, Sarah, and Hannah- who actually was the event manager the night of my wedding. Everything went smoothly and I didn't have to worry about anything. I would highly recommend this venue to any other bride looking for the perfect western mass wedding!!

Profile Picture Kelly, 8/22/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The staff was awesome the night of the wedding and Michele made the entire process of wedding planning at her venue so easy!!! Ryan and I highly recommend for wedding or any other events!!!!

Profile Picture Kristin, 6/27/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Mill One was the most amazing reception venue we could have asked for. During the whole process, Michelle was always available through email, and checked in regularly in the days leading up to the wedding. The day of coordinator, Sara, was terrific. We had heirloom wine glasses and she made sure they were never out of our sight or scooped up accidentally. She did a great job coordinating all the vendors throughout the day, and always made sure everything was going the way we wanted.
The venue itself is beyond amazing. We only had to add a couple of touches since the space really speaks for itself. The floors, the brick, the windows - it's all so gorgeous. Our photographers had a blast working with the space, too.
Overall, I would recommend Mill 1 to anyone and everyone. It really was the perfect venue for our wedding day!

Profile Picture Meagan, 6/20/15, 5 Reviews