Maura Black Photography Reviews

Maura Black Photography 6
Maura Black Photography 7
  • Jenny

Jenny Brager · Getting married on 06/06/2020

Maura has been so great, I don't even know where to begin!

Maura has been so great, I don't even know where to begin! She was fun to talk on the phone with for initial information, and easy to schedule our engagement shoot with. (We had to reschedule our shoot sort of last minute, and she was incredibly understanding and easy to reschedule with.) During the actual shoot, we felt like were just hanging out with one of our friends for an hour. We also had our dog with us, who is typically a bit anxious of strangers and reactive to other dogs, so we didn't know how long we'd have her out with us. Luckily she behaved the whole time, and loved Maura too. We fully expected to get our images back in 2 weeks, but we got our "Sneak Peak" within 2 days, then the whole album only 3 days after that! Truly incredible! We know she'll do an amazing job with our wedding photos next June!

Sent on 08/23/2019
    Maura Black Photography 8
    Maura Black Photography 9
    Maura Black Photography 10
    Maura Black Photography 11
    Maura Black Photography 12

Noelle · Married on 08/17/2019

The best decision we made!!

I don't even know where to begin, but I can say without a doubt that Maura was the best decision I made for my wedding day (besides my Husband!). I was definitely an over-thinker in every aspect of my wedding, but Maura was always calm, cool and collected. Even when I found out that one of my top photo locations was closed for the day (and I had a mild breakdown), Maura was quick to suggest other locations - and to be honest, we loved them even more than the place we originally chose. I'm also convinced she is wonder woman and never sleeps - we were so pleasantly surprised to wake up to a sneak peek of some photos the morning after our wedding. We are so excited to continue to relive the best day of our life with all of the beautiful moments Maura captured for us! She is amazing to work with, and I would recommend Maura to anyone in search of a photographer!!!

Sent on 09/10/2019

Karen Block · Married on 08/10/2019

The Best Photographer Ever

Wow…where to begin? From the first email exchange between Maura and me I knew she was going to be amazing! She was so responsive, helpful, and enthusiastic upon receiving my inquiry. I loved her photos and decided that I didn’t need to meet her in person before deciding she would be our wedding photographer…the vibes from her were just THAT good! Our great decision to go with Maura was further solidified when we had our engagement session. She made us feel comfortable right away, was incredible efficient, and most of all, made it fun. She also delivered the photos to us in record time- which made us so happy because we were so eager to receive them.

The months in between our engagement session and the wedding included lots of communication from Maura- we received resources such as a photography questionnaire to make sure we told her all of the photos we wanted and moments we wanted captured. She also sent us wedding planning guide that she created as a recently bride herself. It was incredibly helpful and thoughtful of her to share with us.

Our wedding day arrived and Maura exceeded all of our expectations (which were already high due to our experiences with her). She was prompt, efficient and remained fun and calm despite the many many large group photos we had. She stole us away during “golden hour” because the light was perfect and she wanted to sneak in a few more photos of us before the party really kicked off. I am SO SO glad she did this because she already sent us a sneak peek of a few photos and they are beyond gorgeous!!!!

Lastly, the sneak peek. We woke up the morning after our wedding and I noticed that Maura had posted a photo on Instagram. I was so overjoyed to see this (because I was sad our wedding was over) and responded to her photo. She told me to go check my email because she had sent me a sneak peek. 12 hours later and she already had a dozen photos for us to look through and we love ALL of them. We are so excited to get all of our photos back and I do not think that this will be the last time we use Maura Black Photography.

Thank you, Maura!!!!

Sent on 08/14/2019
    Maura Black Photography 13
  • Geoffrey

Geoffrey Swanson · Married on 07/26/2019

Phenomenal :)

We had to plan our wedding from Arizona, so it was no easy feat trying to find reliable, quality vendors in Chicago. Man did we luck out with Maura. From the first phone consultation to the last photo on the dance floor, she couldn't have been more helpful and just plain awesome to work with. Maura captured some of those little, intimate moments that we were hoping for including the getting ready pictures, exchanging of gifts, and first look. There were seriously some magazine cover quality pictures (see bride with her bouquet). Her personality is wonderful and she definitely knows some of the best spots to take photos around the city. She was on her A game the entire day as we took photos at several different locations in a short amount of time. A beautiful person and a fantastic photographer, we would highly recommend Maura!

Sent on 08/21/2019
  • BlushPrincess

Nicola Vierk · Married on 06/08/2019

Best choice we made

Maura provided an excellent service. We made the best choice to hire her as our photographer for our reception. She was very friendly from the beginning on, set up a personal meeting with us prior to the day of and coordinated everything perfectly. All of our guests absolutely loved her and her personality. I'm definitely planning to have my anniversary photo shoot done by her!

Sent on 06/24/2019
    Maura Black Photography 14
    Maura Black Photography 15

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Nicola! You made my day. Thank you so much for the very kind words. Your wedding was absolutely amazing (complete with the cutest little flower girls! Oh my goodness) and I wish you and Nick only the absolute best in your future together!
  • Ashlie

Ashlie Brady · Married on 05/04/2019

Exceptional

Amazing wedding photographer!!! All my wants were created through her lens. Fantastic quality and such a kind personable presence she brings with her! Half of the time I didn’t even know she was there taking our pictures but she captured EVERYTHING!!! I would highly recommend and will definitely hire for other future events!

Sent on 05/23/2019
    Maura Black Photography 24
    Maura Black Photography 25
    Maura Black Photography 26

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for the very kind words, Ashlie! I had so much fun capturing your and Brian's wedding - cannot wait to see what the future has in store for you both :-)! Congratulations!

Brianne · Married on 01/10/2019

We booked Maura for our small Chicago ceremony this summer with just our parents, before our big family & friends party in Orlando in January. We chose her for her photojournalistic style, great detail shots, and because we liked working with an actual person instead of a larger company that would just contract photographers.

She sent us a thorough questionnaire and we emailed back and forth a bit about what we were looking for. We reached out again a few times just before the wedding to make sure everyone was on the same page, and she actually seemed almost too confident - more so than I was! This was my second marriage, and I had a lot of regrets from the first time around for not asking my photographer for more specific shots, so I was worried I might forget something. Fortunately, I had nothing to worry about!

She showed up a little early with a super positive and excited attitude and got right to work! We gave her a short list of the shots we were looking for and talked about some of the locations in our apartment that would probably be good to include. She got it all and MORE! We asked her to get a picture of my new in-laws' hands/rings together, since they had just celebrated their 40th anniversary, and I can't wait to frame it and surprise them with it!

She has such an artistic eye and is so personable that you feel like you're chatting with a friend. PLUS we got our pictures back within just a few weeks!!! I honestly couldn't be happier with her and her work! :)

Sent on 07/18/2018
    Maura Black Photography 32
    Maura Black Photography 33
    Maura Black Photography 34

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Thank you for the very sweet review, Brianne! Your and Chris' June wedding was perfection: so touchingly intimate and so very full of love! It was an honor being the one to capture this very special time in your life. Congratulations again!
  • Taylor

Taylor Marie · Married on 10/20/2018

Maura Black Photography

We feel so lucky to have found Maura to photograph our wedding last October. After our initial coffee meeting, we knew she was going to be a great fit for us and she did not disappoint! Before the wedding, she did an excellent job communicating ideas and guiding expectations, so we knew exactly how to structure our day to get all the shots that we wanted. On the day of, she did a superb job managing all the planned group photos (most impressive with our extensive immediate families), documented the preparations and ceremony beautifully, and braved the wind to get some absolutely gorgeous photos of my husband and I on Lake Michigan. At the reception, she captured all of the important moments, as well as some great candid shots of our family and friends that were among the highlights of our extensive photo gallery. Nearly my entire family remarked how easy it was to work with Maura, and all were impressed by her friendliness and enthusiasm throughout the day! My husband and I truly cannot recommend Maura highly enough – from planning the day to capturing moments big and small to delivering our beautiful photo gallery, she was a true professional and absolute joy to work with!

Sent on 03/03/2019
    Maura Black Photography 35
    Maura Black Photography 36
    Maura Black Photography 37

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for letting me be a part of your beautiful wedding day, Taylor! You and Dylan are perfect together. It was a dream working with you guys and meeting your wonderful family and friends! Best of luck and congratulations again!

Mariella · Married on 09/08/2018

Maura did an amazing job, I cannot recommend her more. From the very beginning she made our job of organizing very easy, then she exceed our expectations in the engagement session, not just because pictures were amazingly pretty, but also because she made us feel so comfortable and happy. That day we were super tired but nothing of that was reflected on pictures, only our happiness and love. We were also impressed on how quickly she sent us pictures, after a few days we had some of them and after 2 weeks everything. And they were retouched so she used her magic! Finally, during the whole wedding she was so fun and sweet. Not only we love her but a lot of guests told me how nice she seems. They were so happy they could ask her to take pictures. We just got the first wedding pic and they are amazing. We are so happy we worked with Maura. I highly recommend her. She is extremely professional and a great photographer.

Sent on 09/28/2018

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Mariella, I loved every moment of your and Andy's amaaaazing wedding day! From the stunning St. Stan's to the breathtaking cocktail reception (I mean that view alone!!!) and elegant dinner. You guys are an amazing couple and it was such a pleasure working with you both! Thank you for the very sweet review :).

Alison · Married on 09/08/2018

couldn't recommend highly enough

Maura was amazing and we're so glad we hired her to be our wedding photographer. There are more positive things to say than anyone would want to read in a review, but to name a few...

She was such a delight to work with - very fun and easy going while being very professional. We got numerous compliments from our guests about how much they liked our photographer (before they even saw the wonderful pictures).

She captured our wedding beautifully. We love our wedding photos (and we got a lot of them, full rights to almost 1000 pictures!).

She was incredibly helpful and went above and beyond the call of duty for us, including researching an entire "Plan B" photo session at various cool locations near our wedding venue once threats of rain risked preventing our planned outdoor pictures.

Sent on 02/06/2019

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Thank you so much, Alison. Working with you and Avery on your wedding day was an absolute blast from start to finish! You guys are a wonderful couple and I'm so happy for you both. Congratulations!

Katie · Married on 08/25/2018

Just amazing

I am beyond thrilled with the beautiful photos Maura captured of our wedding day! She was so easy to work with and she made me and my husband feel so comfortable the entire time... which, since we both hate having our picture taken, is really saying something!
    It was an incredibly long day for Maura. We had our wedding mass in the morning, photos in the late afternoon, and our reception was on a boat on Lake Michigan until midnight. I’m sure she was exhausted but you could never tell- the entire time she was professional, smiling, and accommodating. Our family and friends at the wedding also commented that they felt our photographer was so friendly, and that she did a great job capturing moments without ever being too intrusive.
    She took excellent candid and staged shots in all sorts of different settings and lighting. Everyone is really impressed with the quality of our photos and also how timely she was at getting them back to us. We would highly recommend her to anyone in search of an amazing photographer!

Sent on 10/20/2018
    Maura Black Photography 43
    Maura Black Photography 44
    Maura Black Photography 45

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Katie, thank you so much for the very sweet review! I had an unbelievable day capturing yourself and Ty make it "official"! I still cannot get over how beautiful you looked in either of your two dresses!!!
  • Danyel

Danyel Graham · Married on 08/04/2018

Maura goes ABOVE AND BEYOND to deliver your vision and keeps everyone smiling and laughing all day!

From our first email exchange and the introductory phone call to receiving our incredible wedding images, Maura was AMAZING to work with. She was very professional, collaborative, and honestly a pleasure to be around. We felt very at ease with her and she really took the time to get to know our goals and vibe for our wedding day and delivered in such a perfect way. She was prompt, flexible, and even arrived at the location early to scout some incredible spots in the area (Pilsen) for photo ops.

We expressed that we were much more interested in candids and a photojournalistic style rather than lots of formal photos and we were blown away at her ability to capture so many details and special moments throughout the prep, ceremony, and reception. We also took a few minutes alone as a couple immediately following the ceremony and she was able to capture some lovely shots without disturbing us at all!

Our friends and families were raving about her post-wedding and she helped us coordinate different transitions and moments throughout the reception with the venue and our DJ, which was simply above and beyond! We received our teasers and final photos in a very timely manner and the final product was not only beautiful but reflected everything we loved about our big day! We could not recommend Maura more and will be using her for all of our major life events moving forward.

Sent on 10/15/2018
    Maura Black Photography 46
    Maura Black Photography 47
    Maura Black Photography 48
    Maura Black Photography 49
    Maura Black Photography 50

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Danyel, if I could relive your and Jordan's wedding day again and again I would in a heart beat! Thank you so much for letting me capture that incredible party in that beautiful garden in the heart of the city! You guys are the absolute best. :)

Rebecca · Married on 06/18/2018

Maura was FANTASTIC.

She shot my wedding in Wisconsin, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. She was flexible, accommodating and produced amazing photos for our amazing day. Our wedding was in a public garden which was quite spread out and I'd imagine difficult to try and coordinate shooting in, but she was a pro and the finished product was amazing. She's a complete natural too - you barely noticed she was there during the candid shots, which are some of my favorite! Thanks so much, Maura! Couldn't have asked for better results! Do not hesitate to book :)

Sent on 06/08/2018
    Maura Black Photography 51
    Maura Black Photography 52
  • User7549144 · 1+ year ago

Maura is a great photographer who produces quality work, and she is an absolute pleasure to work with. She was so flexible working with changes in the timeline of our wedding day, and was fun to be around all day. She arrived right on time and was professional and personable from start to finish. We had a laid back civil ceremony and lunch reception, and took some couple's photos before the ceremony. Maura was relaxed and fun, but still did a great job directing us for the couple's shoot and the group photos. Several guests commented that she was both enjoyable to have around and also unobtrusive. We got the photos back a couple of days ago, and couldn't be happier, we are so glad that we chose Maura to photograph our day!

Sent on 07/10/2018
    Maura Black Photography 53
    Maura Black Photography 54
    Maura Black Photography 55
    Maura Black Photography 56

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Jackie, thank you so much for trusting me to capture your lovely wedding last June! It was such a beautiful and love-filled day that the weather couldn't even stay rainy! The sun just had to come out and congratulate you guys on making it official :).

Morgan · Married on 06/02/2018

I've had the amazing opportunity to work with Maura twice now. She was the photographer for a friends wedding in 2017 (I was a bridesmaid) and I was so impressed with her work then, that we immediately booked her for our own wedding in June 2018. From the start of the process, Maura was exceptional. She was communicative and transparent about her rates and what was included in her packages. Her professionalism is off the charts! Leading up to the wedding, we were afraid of rain for first look photos and Maura took it upon herself to scope out the neighborhood to find solutions should we need it. As a bride, knowing that someone else had my back and would help problem solve for me was the biggest relief.

Day of the wedding, Maura charmed everyone with her wonderful personality. She maintained a great balance of knowing when to take charge for photos and when to step back and catch some amazing candid photos. Before she left for the night, she checked in with us to make sure we didn't have any last minute needs and then proceeded to take at least 20 more pictures for us. A few weeks later, we got our photos and they were absolutely amazing.!!! We honestly couldn't be happier. I'm not sure how to express in words the level of satisfaction we have with these photos, besides using the word perfect. She captured exactly how we were feeling that day, both in formal photos, and candid photos. Please, if you are looking for a wedding photographer, check out her website. Her portfolio speaks for itself! Experience is so important with vendors and especially with a photographer. Maura made our experience from start to finish truly relaxing, feel good, and we were beyond satisfied with final product.

Sent on 07/28/2018
    Maura Black Photography 57
    Maura Black Photography 58
    Maura Black Photography 59

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Morgan! You and Ray are amazing. I had the most incredible time capturing your wedding! I would happily kick it with you and your crew any day of the year (though I'm going to have to start working on my dance moves, cuz man can you guys bring it!). Thank you and one more huge congratulations to the both of you!

Chelsea Crane · Married on 05/26/2018

5 star service

Maura made everything about our wedding easy. She did just enough prep work to learn what I wanted to capture on the day and followed through with these requests. She handled the busy and HOT summer day like an absolute champion, keeping a positive and upbeat attitude that definitely translated to the pictures. Maura helped me feel at ease and like myself when posing. She is like a photography ninja, capturing so many photos without me noticing. I can't thank her enough for making the day go so smoothly. 5 stars for her professionalism, quality, and attitude!

Sent on 10/16/2018

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Chelsea, I love you guys. Your and Joe's wedding was an absolute blast and has given me an entirely new appreciation for a conga line and fur coats in 90 degree weather! Thank you so much for your very sweet review!

Tammy · Married on 04/29/2018

Maura was quite simply a joy to work with and I’m so happy we hired her to photograph our wedding day. She’s very fun to talk to and I feel like through our communication before the wedding she was able to get a good sense of the style and tone of my wedding as well as the specific moments I wanted her to capture. On the day of the wedding, she arrived promptly and was able to scout out a couple of beautiful locations for our group photos, something that I had been too frazzled to do. Maura has a wonderful sense of humor and immediately set our wedding party at ease; I’m still getting comments from guests about how much they liked our photographer! We were thrilled with the photos we received and highly recommend hiring Maura Black Photography!

Sent on 09/13/2018
    Maura Black Photography 60
    Maura Black Photography 61
    Maura Black Photography 62
    Maura Black Photography 63

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Tammy! If I could fly back out to LA and relive your unbelievably fun wedding day I would do it in a Bel Air minute (sorry. TERRIBLE joke for such an amazing wedding!). Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and one more HUGE congrats! :)

Jennifer · Married on 12/16/2017

I'm so happy we hired Maura to photograph our wedding. She made us feel at ease and as if we were just hanging out with an old friend, exploring in the city. Her warm personality coupled with endless enthusiasm for her art translated into some beautiful photos of our day. It was so fun to receive the finished photos and to be able to relive the day with a few surprises she managed to catch along the way. Smiles all around!! We strongly recommend Maura! Definitely check out her Facebook page and website to see her work.

Sent on 07/28/2018

Maura Black Photography's reply:

Jennifer, I had so. much. fun running around the city with yourself and Brett! You guys are an absolute blast and your emotion-filled ceremony was such an honor to capture. Thank you so much for allowing me to capture that very special day in your life!