Massachusetts Justice of the Peace Stoddard H. Melhado Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2015 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner

• Shelagh
    Shelagh D. Getting married on 08/20/2022

Best, most thoughtful officiant!

My husband and I are so grateful to Stoddard for helping us to create such a beautiful, special wedding ceremony that was uniquely ours. From our first meeting (he holds an initial consultation at his home, where we were also about to meet and get to know his wife and adorable dogs), he was warm, inviting and so helpful. He spent time getting to know us both separately and us a couple, which he then used to personalize our ceremony - this was such a nice touch. He provided us with a template for our ceremony, that we then got to make our own; from blessings, readings, vows, order etc. the whole ceremony from start to finish (including marriage advice from Stoddard and his wife of 50+ years) was put together completely by my husband and I. This definitely made the process for intimate and special for the both of us.

My husband and I eloped, with no guests, but having Stoddard and his wife there was the perfect addition to our day. We are so glad that we decided to record our ceremony at the last minute, as we have been watching it on repeat!

Beyond creating such a beautiful ceremony, Stoddard was kind, timely, professional, and was great at following up with us on and walking us through all of the important details (marriage certificate, having copies of our vows, how to hold the rings, etc.).

We would happily recommend him to any couple planning their wedding!
  • Megan
    Megan S. Married on 04/23/2022

Amazing Wedding Ceremony!

The ceremony that Stoddard created for us was perfect. It was personal and sweet. The process of working with him was seamless as well. He responded promptly and answered all of our questions. We really enjoyed meeting with him prior to the wedding to learn about the process and for us to get to know each other!! We felt like we had a lot of options to create a ceremony that really fit who we are as a couple. After the wedding, we have heard from so many guests that it was the best ceremony they have ever been to! We truly can't say enough good things about Stoddard. The ceremony was wonderful and he is wonderful as well!
  • Natassja
    Natassja Q. Married on 04/09/2022

Caring and amazing man!

He made sure we met, he wanted to know us and made our ceremony personal. Exactly what we wanted for renewing our vows. The care, the details and wording were perfect. Our ceremony was BEAUTIFUL. We are so greatful!
  • Martyn
    Martyn R. Married on 03/03/2022

An exceptional man (for an exceptional wedding!)

My (now!) wife Brooke and I had been in a long distance relationship for around two years before finally tying the knot, but had known one another for almost seven. Brooke is born and bred in Fitchburg, whereas I lived my whole life in Oxfordshire, England, prior to emigrating and marrying in March 2020. Our backstory and chance meeting was one which Stoddard submerged himself in and took a genuine and pure curiosity to our relationship. His humility and personable nature was apparent from our first meeting, and these were features apparent at all stages in the process and planning of our big day. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic putting paid to us having a better attended ceremony, Stoddard was still more than happy to marry us at a beautiful and tranquil setting at his home in Littleton. Whilst our wedding will be unforgettable for very different reasons, Stoddard made the day special in spite of the current way of the world. Brooke and I are beyond grateful to have had Stoddard's services and recommend him thoroughly.
  • Alexa
    Alexa Married on 01/29/2022

Warm and Experienced JP for COVID "Big" Wedding

Stoddard was such a warm, caring officiant, and we would recommend him to anybody!

Wedding Preparation: Our first meeting with Stoddard was in July 2021 where we met him, his wife and his wonderful greyhounds. After telling them our story and going over the process for creating the ceremony we left feeling so happy and in love. Stoddard’s process of providing a template for the ceremony, and giving us the freedom to choose the readings, blessings, ring exchange, etc., was a wonderful way of letting us make it personal while keeping the ceremony feeling intact. He gives pages of examples for jumping off points, but encourages you to create the ceremony that is best for you.

Rehearsal Dinner: We were so impressed by Stoddard at the rehearsal dinner. We could tell by his attention to small details that he is an expert. From how to hold our rings on each other’s fingers, to who to look at during different parts of the ceremony, those small details made a huge difference in our ceremony.

Wedding Day: Our wedding was held up a mountain during a record-breaking snowstorm - over a foot of snow and blizzard conditions on the day of our wedding. While I wanted some snow on the ground, I think this was more than anyone planned for. Stoddard assured me that he would make it, and he was there with plenty of time to spare. However, I did appreciate his preparation in sending the full ceremony to our DJ in case he couldn’t make it. One of the best parts of Stoddard’s ceremony is his personal remarks - he takes your personal story and shares it as part of the ceremony. TIP: Don’t ask to see it beforehand, he does a wonderful job and it’s a lovely surprise to hear it for the first time. The ceremony felt so intimate and lovely and all of our guests were raving about how great of a job he did.

Stoddard’s warmth and expertise really showed throughout the whole process, and we are so happy we chose him!
  • Lauren
    Lauren M. Married on 01/07/2022

Perfect JP

Stoddard was amazing. He really cares about getting to know you and your story. He pays attention to every little detail you mention. Of course when going through your story as a couple there are always side stories and distractions, he was amazing at making sure one thought was fully wrapped up and not missing anything.
    The ceremony was great, he captured everything we talked about and really got who we were as a couple. In the weeks after our wedding we keep getting comments on how great Stoddard was! We could not have been any happier with him!
    Jennifer M. Married on 12/24/2021

Wedding with Stoddard as our JOP

Amazing to work with 10 stars! I highly recommend him! Simply fantastic
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth K. Married on 12/11/2021

Most wonderful officiant!

We were married on 12/11/2021 by JP Stoddard Melhado and are beyond happy that we went with him. Meeting him and sharing our story with him and his wife was a really great experience. Stoddard is warm and laid back, and also very professional and organized. He provided us with a comprehensive guide for our ceremony and was very responsive to any questions or updates we had throughout our planning. Our ceremony went off without a hitch and our guests kept gushing about how beautiful and amazing the ceremony was. They all said it sounded like he had known us for years, as he gives his own personal remarks and wisdom on marriage and it was really very special. Highly recommend his services to anyone looking!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca D. Married on 10/31/2021

Best Day Ever!

Stoddard was an absolute joy to work with! He made everything flow so easily. I think I wrote him about 20 emails during this whole process, but he was prompt with his replies and very patient. He made it very easy for my husband and I to put together vows that were meaningful, and relevant to our relationship. I am very happy that my husband and I were able to find him!
    Ashley C. Married on 10/23/2021

Perfection!

It was an absolute pleasure to work with Stoddard. From start to finish he was super flexible during the planning process and answered any and all questions we had quickly. On our wedding day he gave a beautiful service, that to this day we still get compliments on how beautiful and unique it was. You can certainly tell that he truly loves what he does because it really shows in his work. I would highly recommend working with him you will not regret it! My husband and I cannot thank him enough!!
    Michelle P. Married on 10/16/2021

Wonderful experience!

Stoddard did a wonderful job officiating our day! He is very sweet and personable and adds a little twist to the ceremony. He made us feel at ease during the ceremony and not anxious.
  • Ali
    Ali S. Married on 10/10/2021

The Perfect Officiant for a Very Personal Ceremony

Stoddard was amazing from our first email interaction. He is responsive and knowledgeable. He sent us a mountain of resources for picking our readings and writing our own vows, and the ceremony document with options for each section, transition, and moment was perfect. We really felt like our ceremony was our own, and he performed the ceremony beautifully. He was recommended to us by our vendor and we couldn’t be happier.
    Nicole D. Married on 10/08/2021

Most caring & thoughtful JP around

We had a truly amazing experience with Stoddard. When we met him to interview him we immediately felt at ease with him. He not only walked us through all the things we could do in a ceremony but he helped us understand what we wanted and didnt want in our ceremony. He also took the time to get to know us and our relationship and surprised us with a great personal touch in our ceremony. We would highly recommend him, he takes great care in his work. All of our guests really enjoyed his ceremony!
    Justin S. Married on 10/03/2021

The absolute best

Stoddard was amazing throughout the whole process. He truly got the time to speak with the both of us and tailor the ceremony into exactly what we wanted. I would recommend Stoddard to absolutely anyone looking for an offiant.
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen O. Married on 09/25/2021

Highly Recommend!

We can't recommend Stoddard enough! From our first phone call, to initial meeting, to rehearsal dinner, and the ceremony itself Stoddard was professional, informative, communicative, and truly cares about his couples. We received numerous compliments from our guests after our ceremony on how great he was. Look no further if you need a JP!
    Scout P. Married on 09/24/2021

Stoddard is Fantastic

Stoddard is a fantastic JP. He helped make our ceremony special and provided us with all the information we needed. He is a great guy and is fun to work with I would highly recommend him!!
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin C. Married on 09/18/2021

Highly Recommend!!

Stoddard made our wedding ceremony so special!! From our first email, he was so informative, responsive, and helpful. He took the time to meet with us and get to know more about us and our relationship. He gave us the exact tools and helped guide us so that is was very easy to create our perfect personalized ceremony. He also added in his own words about my husband and I after our meeting. It was perfect - as if he had known us forever. We received many compliments from guests and we could not recommend him enough!
  • Sarah
    Sarah T. Married on 09/17/2021

The most special and meaningful JP you could find!

Stoddard Melhado made our ceremony so undeniably special, and I'm not sure I could have hoped for anything more. I think almost every single one of our 140 guests commented on how beautiful and meaningful the ceremony was - it was nothing short of spectacular. Stoddard was the JP at my friend's wedding 6 years ago, and although I was single at the time, I kept his card for 6 YEARS because of how he made me feel during that ceremony. I knew right away that I wanted him to marry me one day (and I happened to meet my future husband at that very same wedding! It was kismet!). If you want your ceremony to feel personal to you and just so very magical, look no further than Stoddard Melhado.
  • Beatriz
    Beatriz S. Married on 09/04/2021

An exceptional man!

We are so thankful to have Stoddard officiate our wedding ceremony, he truly cares about getting to know us and our story. He was amazing, we can’t thank Stoddard enough for his time and service.
    If you are considering a justice of the peace Stoddard is very easy to work with and did a great on most of the most important days of our lives, we had no worry about how the officiating was going to be.
    Thank you so much Stoddard.
    Love. Kevin and Bea.
  • Abigail.edes
    Abigail E. Married on 09/03/2021

Ceremony was perfect!

I have received so many compliments on our ceremony. Stoddard is so organized and really knows how to make the ceremony special to you and your partner. Highly recommend!
    Sarah B. Married on 08/27/2021

Best JP out there!

Stoddard was an amazing JP and my husband and I couldn’t of been happier that we chose him! He was so easy to work with from the very beginning with email correspondence, to then welcoming Bryan and myself to his home for a meeting to making our actual wedding day spectacular and stress free! A true pleasure to work with and would recommend to anyone!
  • Darah
    Darah P. Married on 08/22/2021

Absolutely recommend

We are truly grateful for finding Stoddard to officiate our wedding ceremony. He is not only a very caring and genuine individual, he took the time to get to know us. The way he told our story was so touching. Our videographer used this piece as the background to our highlight video. We can now relive this beautiful moment over and over.
  • Brooke
    Brooke M. Married on 08/21/2021

Like a part of the family!

We can’t thank Stoddard enough for his time and service. Stoddard married me and my husband on 8/21/21 and working with him was such a pleasure he was hands down the best individual we worked with throughout the 1.5yr planning process.

Stoddard and his wonderful wife hosted us at their home for the initial get to know each other session. It was so lovely to get to know them and the wonderful people that they are at the same time as he got to know us better. We had him conduct our rehearsal and ceremony as well.

Stoddard was amazing at providing us with structure, but also giving us endless options to customize our ceremony and really make it our own. That first session he really took the time in learning our story so his words could be just as personal as our own vows to each other.

We really wouldn’t have changed a single thing Stoddard did and he truly felt like someone who had been there through our relationship over the years from the way he spoke about us that the experience felt like working with family.

Don’t hesitate and definitely book Stoddard if he is available for your date!
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth A. Married on 07/23/2021

We can't thank you enough, Stoddard.

If you’re looking for a wedding ceremony that is tailored exactly to the incredible love story that you and your fiance have written, you’ve found your officiant. Stoddard officiated our wedding in July 2021 (after having postponed our original August 2020 ceremony). From the very beginning, he was warm, kind, and inviting, asking us thoughtful questions about our relationship and using our responses to curate a personalized, tear-jerking ceremony that even many months later, still has our friends and family talking about how beautiful, personal, and intimate it was. As part of his very organized process, he worked with us to include meaningful readings, assisted us in writing our vows, and even helped put our nerves at ease the night before at our rehearsal dinner. Though my (now) husband and I will only get married once, there’s no question that if we were to renew our vows, Stoddard would be our very first call.
    Sharon L. Married on 07/17/2021

Wedding July, 2021

Stoddard did a wonderful job officiating our ceremony, he has a sense of humor and included our family and friends as part of our ceremony. I have had multiple guests say to me that the ceremony was beautiful and it truly was, it was original and amazing.
    If you are considering a justice of the peace Stoddard is very easy to work with and did a great on most of the most important days of our lives, we had 0 worry about how the officiating was going to be - very grateful not to have that to worry about with everything else going on
    Bob and Sharon