Maria DeForrest Photography Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2013 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2012 Winner

Jenna Married on 05/16/2020

Awesome Photographer!

Maria is an awesome photographer! Her pictures are just gorgeous. When our initial photographer was no longer available due to COVID, we were lucky to hire Maria at somewhat of the last minute. Maria is awesome to work with and is really just a cool person to be spending time with while she is making magic happen! Maria really went above and beyond and took charge to wrangle our large bridal party to make sure that she was able to get all of the photos we wanted and to ensure the day went smoothly in general. I would absolutely recommend hiring Maria as your photographer!
    Erin D. Married on 09/07/2019

Maria is amazing!

Maria is the BEST! With COVID changing our wedding plans, she was SO flexible and sweet and understanding. Everyone loved how easygoing and fun she was at the wedding, and her pictures were AMAZING! I’m still getting compliments all the time on how great my wedding photos were! I would recommend her (and already have!) to anyone.
  • Olivia
    Olivia K. Married on 05/18/2019

Incredible Family Session

Maria made our newborn session simply incredible. She came to our home and made us feel like we were hanging out with a best friend. Her kindness and patience with our family as we were adjusting to being new parents made us feel so comfortable. She was able to capture beautiful memories for us and I am forever grateful!
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Married on 10/06/2018

Amazing experience!!

I cannot put into words how amazing Maria is to work with. She was with us for our entire wedding day and took the most beautiful photos! She was so helpful in organizing our (somewhat rowday) group and I cannot thank her enough for putting up with us! Hiring her was one of the BEST decisions we made when planning our wedding. Thank you Maria for our absolutely perfect wedding photos!!
  • Paige
    Paige Married on 08/18/2018

AMAZING wedding & engagement

Maria is simply AMAZING! She took our engagement and wedding photographs and to say that we were pleased would be an understatement. She made us feel so comfortable and treated us as if we had been friends forever. I highly recommend her for ANY and every event!!!
    Judy Married on 07/28/2018
    Maria is a pleasure to work with. The photos of my daughter's wedding are absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.
  • Janine
    Janine L. Married on 07/15/2018

Incredibly Photos!

We absolutely loved working with Maria! We were nervous and a little overwhelmed about having our first ever professional photoshoot. She was incredibly professional and guided us through the process with her warm, friendly personality. We felt so comfortable throughout our photoshoot and were blown away by the photos!

She captured our engagement beautifully, and has since shot our Maternity and newborn photos! We love working with Maria, and highly recommend her!

Janine, Chip & Oakes
    Mehan Married on 06/30/2018
    Maria was awesome! She was able to corral our large bridal party and was very organized with family and group photos. After the group photos, she really blended in the the party and helped capture the evening. We’ve only seen a few photos so far, but are really looking forward to seeing them all soon!!
    Theresa L. Married on 06/16/2018

Beautiful!

Maria did a beautiful job capturing the 70th birthday party for my husband at our home and at the beach. It was like having a very talented member of the family document the day for us. She caught both the sweet tender moments and the big group photos. She was lovely to work with and delivered a treasure trove of photos. Our guests loved her too.
    Abigail S. Married on 06/02/2018

Simply Amazing!!!

Maria is an extremely talented photographer and beautiful person inside and out. She is simply amazing to work with. Maria and her husband photographed our wedding in June 2018 and have since done a family session with our 13 week old puppy. Both experiences have been flawless and the photos are nothing short of incredible. Maria's photos capture raw/real emotion in a way I did not know was possible with a camera. When we look back at our photos we are able to relive the day and feel all the emotions. Maria makes you feel so comfortable and is just a joy to work with from the first email to the last. I have recommended her to a number of family and very close friends who have all hired her and would attest she is one of the best in the game. So much love for Maria and her passion for photography that shines through in her stunning work.
    Virginia Married on 05/19/2018
    Going into our wedding experience we knew that we did not just want photographs but we wanted to capture the moments and have beautiful images to cherish for a lifetime. This is exactly what Maria was able to do for us and we were so happy to have her as part of our big day. We do not consider ourselves comfortable in front of a camera, in fact pretty uncomfortable, but the way Maria is able to capture the light and emotions with such an artistic eye made us naturally comfortable in the final product. Every time we go back through our photos we are able to relive each moment and we continue to receive comments on how perfect they were. Maria captures real people in her photographs and we will definitely be recommending her to friends and using her again for future events.
    Erin Married on 05/12/2018

Engagement Pictures and Wedding

Maria was absolutely amazing! She really took the time to get to know my husband and I and was so patient with us. She really liked to capture heartfelt, in the moment pictures, which all turned out phenomenal! I was so happy with how all of our pictures turned out, and so many others complimented them also! Very patient and professional to work with and clearly loves her job and it shows! She is very talented. She is a must use! Absolutely would recommend!!
    Ally Married on 10/07/2017
    My now husband and I chose Maria just by looking at her pictures. We could tell that every picture she took told a story. She filled EVERY single request we had! My husband and I live in California and she very kindly met with us while we happened to be in town almost a year before our wedding. We couldn't do engagement photos and she amazingly accommodated us by taking pictures of our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. She also stayed the entire day of our wedding with no time limit. She took SOO many pictures to choose from. The pictures arrived 6 months after the wedding and we also got a big preview 2 months following to use for Christmas cards etc. Overall she really made our wedding experience even more special!
    Jessica K. Married on 10/22/2016

Our home is covered with Maria's photos!

I have recommended Maria to past brides and would definitely say ‘don’t hesitate to book’ to all future brides, grooms and families!!
    We were married in October 2016 and we still love looking at our beautiful, timeless, and candid photographs. We stumbled upon Maria’s website when looking for a photographer in the Delaware beach area. We were immediately blown away by her unique and artistic style of photography. After speaking with Maria, it was clear that she would be the perfect person to capture our day. You can tell she truly wants to get to know each of her couples/families in order to naturally and thoughtfully capture their story. Also, I never realized how much time a photographer spends with the bride & groom and boy was I thankful! In a day that ends in a blink of an eye, I was so thankful to have Maria by my side. She was with us from the minute we woke up to the last shuttle home. She was so organized and kept us on track in order to get the perfect sunset pictures, magically pulling together family members for large group shots on the dance floor (still amazed by this), and every epic moment in between! Since our wedding, Maria has captured an emotional surprise pregnancy announcement and two other family sessions. I always look forward to her new posts on social media because she is a true talent
    and gem of a vendor in the eastern shore & beyond! I would say look no further, but I think her work speaks for itself! Thanks, Maria!

Caitlin Married on 05/14/2016
    Maria is an amazing and very talented photographer. I used her for both my engagement photos and wedding. The turnaround is not quick, which she lets you know from the start, but the photos she delivers are well worth the wait. Maria is very creative, fun and easy going. For our engagement photos, she flew all the way out to Chicago for the weekend. It is where we were living at the time and Chicago holds a special place in our heart and she captured just that. I can only imagine how awkward engagement sessions could be but Maria made us feel so comfortable. It felt like a normal afternoon strolling around our favorite city + Maria! Leading up to our wedding day we communicated a lot about logistics, what to expect and any special request we might have had. She was very thorough and made sure nothing was missed. Maria and her partner were fantastic the day of and again made all of us feel very comfortable in front of the camera. She did send us a few preview photos shortly after the wedding as well as some photos to use in our thank you cards. Working with Maria was a breeze and her photos are simply amazing. She also photographed my sister’s wedding along with a few of our friends and she never disappoints. I would highly recommend Maria to anyone!!!
  • Z
    Zachary M. Married on 05/09/2015

Endearing Photography

My wife and I have trusted Maria to capture the spirit and memories on several momentous occasions: the birth of our son, newborn photos, family photo sessions, and other celebrations. Maria puts everyone at ease during the shoot with her warm personality and has the intuition to know where the moments are going to happen and has the chops to freeze that moment in time with gorgeous photography.
  • Nehal
    Nehal Married on 04/18/2015
    Maria DeForrest Photography is amazing...

Maria is one of the most kind and fun photographers to work with. She will take your vision or hopes for your photographs and create a magical story out of it. During my wedding day, she was everywhere but never lost. She was in constant contact with myself and my groom and also worked very well with our videographers to capture to right moments all day long. She stayed longer than I expected through out the day and became someone I knew I could rely on and calm down with as my day got hectic and crazy.

Although I haven't seen my photos yet (its only been a week and a half since the day...) I have no worries about what the photographs will look like. My engagement photos were amazing and I can not wait to see my wedding photos.

Brides, check out her work and see if her style is the right one for you. She tells a beautiful story through out her photography and is well work having her there for your day.
    Lauren Married on 10/18/2014
    Maria was truly wonderful to work with. My husband and I discovered her when planning our destination wedding in Lewes, DE, from our home base in NYC. It was a long process—I'm a professional photographer and my husband is also a great photographer, and we wanted someone who was not only talented but could also blend in easily and work well with our small, unconventional wedding. Once we found Maria's website and talked to her on the phone, she was immediately our first choice photographer. I can't say enough positive things about her—Maria is incredibly warm, responsive, easygoing and relaxed, and our families loved having her at the wedding. She captured so many poignant candid moments so beautifully. She clearly values both authenticity and creativity as both elements really come through in all of the images. In terms of the practical side of things, she was also very helpful with recommendations and referrals before the wedding, and delivered all of our photos very speedily after the big day. We can't recommend her enough. Thanks, Maria! -L&P
    Kelsy Married on 10/18/2014
    Maria was absolutely fabulous to work with from our first phone call through the end of my wedding day. She was professional, warm, and fun to work with. I felt as if a good friend was shooting my special day. She has a great eye for natural shots, and is a brides best advocate the day of. She is flexible and is willing to do whatever it takes to capture your day exactly how you envisioned it. I would recommend Maria to any bride or groom that needs a breath of fresh air working with a great vendor!
    Sarah Married on 10/04/2014
    The walls in our home are basically covered in Maria DeForrest photos! We met Maria through a family members wedding, where she was also the photographer. After I saw the images, there was no other option when it came time to plan my own wedding. I should say also, that we chose our wedding date around Maria's availability because her style fit us so perfectly.

Our experience from the start was so personal, we really felt that she paid attention to what was important to us, and also picked the best times of day and location to give us the best possible results. She met us before sunrise in order to capture the sun rising over the ocean, and also guided us on picking the best time to have our ceremony. Those little details were not things I had even thought about or even expected from a photographer, it was above and beyond and made our photos that much better when we received them.

We absolutely love that she captures every single special moment, not the staged boring moments that nobody cares about. Her editing is done by her and only her, which is extremely rare. Most wedding photographers outsource the final editing, and we were really impressed that she touched every single photo that was delivered to us. Maria will photograph every stage of our family as it grows. Her lifestyle and birth photos are as captivating and special as her wedding shots. The hard part is picking just one or two to hang on your wall!
    Molly Married on 09/12/2014
    Perfection- that's the word I would use to describe Maria and her photography. My mom and I traveled to Bethany Beach to look at vendors and Maria met us in person to go through her portfolio and pricing options. We could tell she was passionate about her work and immediately trusted her to capture the wedding. Since this was a destination wedding for my husband and I, Maria quickly became a trusted advisor to us. She traveled to NYC to do our engagement photos - which were amazing!! My husband hates taking photos and she made the process enjoyable for both of us! She was extremely responsive throughout the planning process and even helped set me up with a fabulous make-up professional and wedding planner. When it came to the big day, she was the ultimate professional arriving at 7am to capture my husband on the golf course and was with us until the last song at 10pm. We decided not to get a videographer because Maria's work seemed to capture the little moments often missed by too many staged photos you see at a wedding. She did not disappoint!! On a day when everything seems to go by too fast (especially for the bride and groom) - Maria gave us the gift of capturing the intimate moments we will cherish forever. I am forever grateful and highly recommend her!
    Ben Married on 07/26/2014
    My wife and I are both photographers and designers, and as such we were extremely picky about who we hired to photograph our wedding. In fact, we both felt that our photographer was our #1 most important decision for the wedding. We searched high and low, but were unable to find that special 'thing' we were looking for. Just as we started worrying that we would have to settle, we were lucky enough to stumble across Maria!

Her style was 110% what we were looking for and she captured our wedding in the most elegant, photojournalistic way. She was unobtrusive enough for us to be completely natural, but knew exactly when to step in to encourage (not pose) an even better image. She made two nervous people feel totally at ease :) Each and every photo we got was technically on point and so full of feeling. Most importantly, our photos tell a really amazing story and for that, we're incredibly thankful.

Honestly, we were sold when we saw her portfolio. But when we met in person, we were absolutely sure that we'd made the right decision. Maria was so responsive and willing to go out of her way to help us. She listened to us, learned about us, and truly cared. I can honestly say that we never once felt like clients, we always felt like friends. Nearly two years later we still feel the same way! We felt like Maria was unique because of just how much she put herself into our wedding. She's genuine, kind, wildly talented, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone!
  • User1866661 2+ years ago
    Maria shot my wedding this past summer at my family home. She was with me all day, capturing every moment of my day, which is so important on your wedding day, everything goes so quickly! She was extremely organized while doing the family photos after the ceremony as I wanted to make sure to join my guests during cocktail hour. She provided us with exactly the creative yet classic and timeless photos we were looking for! I highly recommend her!
  • User2517157 2+ years ago
    I am overdue in writing this review, but I'm finally getting around to putting together my wedding album and was once again blown away by our wedding photos, done by the incredible Maria Deforrest.

Full disclosure: I am a photographer myself, and I've actually done a few weddings! When I began looking for a photographer I felt like I knew too much and had "seen behind the curtain", so to speak. I didn't think I'd be able to find someone whom I could trust to do a great job and capture our day with the care and sensitivity we were hoping for.

Maria changed my opinion about wedding photography. When I found her site, I knew she was different. Each wedding was captured so uniquely, and with her full heart. I knew we would be honored to have our wedding day photographed through her eyes and when she offered us a package that was within our budget, I was thrilled.

Photography is so personal. If you are looking for someone with an eye for detail and a sensitivity toward feeling and light, Maria is the perfect fit. Both her imagery and her demeanor complemented my husband and I so well. We didn't spend our day stressed out about following posing orders or missing the party to go off and try to get the perfect shot. We were able to enjoy our wedding knowing that Maria was watching and capturing it all.

We both teared up when we first viewed the photos. They were beautiful, natural, and full of light and love. Maria, thank you so much for giving us memories of our wedding that we will treasure for years to come.

(On a practical note, we were equally impressed with Maria's packages and flexibility. She offers a no-album package if you're a DIY type, like us, and we were able to sub out our unwanted engagement shoot with a "day after" session that allowed us to skip the portrait session on our wedding day and do it a few days later, all dressed up in our wedding garb. Both were ideal for our situation.)
    Dan Married on 05/24/2014
    Maria made everything so easy and comfortable the weekend of our wedding. She was flexible, punctual, and captured some amazingly intimate moments without ever being intrusive.

We received our photos within the estimated timeframe, and they are nothing short of magical. Maria was able to perfectly encapsulate that special weekend with our family in a way that memory alone can't.

If I had to choose again, I'd call Maria in a heartbeat.