Main Course Reviews

Main Course 2
Main Course 3
Main Course 4

Lauren · Married on 09/15/2018

I am so happy that we chose Main Course to cater our wedding. When we stumbled into their cafe on main st. a few years back after a hike in the area, I told my then-boyfriend that this place was going to cater our wedding. 5 years later, here I am writing a review on their page to proclaim my since gratitude and thanks for their unbelievable service. The food was delicious and the support from day one all the way up to day of the wedding was exceptional. Amanda and Emily held my digital hand as we exchanged hundreds of emails. Despite my frazzled state of mind at times, she helped me feel at ease throughout the entire planning process. They helped so many of my visions come to life. On the day of the wedding, Emily was right there with us throughout the evening without feeling like she was on our tail. She always made sure we had food in our tummies and drinks in our hands. She helped the event move so smoothly. I really appreciate all the effort and support from Main Course. The whole team really played a huge role in making our dream wedding a reality and wish I could hug them all! :)

Main Course 5
    Main Course 6

Devon · Married on 09/15/2018

Main Course were the utmost professionals while working with them on our wedding. From our first tasting, we knew that we were in great hands! The food selections are delicious and they have a wide variety of hors d'oeuvres, main dishes and desserts. They helped us manage our budget and handled all of the rentals for the wedding. They provided detailed floor plans and timelines for the day and worked with us to tweak everything until it was perfect. The whole team went above and beyond for us! We had a few difficulties with our venue and Amanda, Bruce and their team helped problem solve, were basically our therapists, helped us get in contact with other amazing vendors and ensured that the day was everything we dreamed of. Many of our guested noted that it was the best wedding fare they'd ever had and the service and day of coordination was absolutely seamless. To note a few highlights: After the wedding ceremony, they brought us a sample of the cocktail hors d'oeuvres and champagne for a private moment as a couple. We had a outdoor reception and with the ground being a bit damp from previous storms, the team consistently wiped off the dance floor to ensure everyone was safe.

It's easy to see that they really care about their clients and will work their hardest, regardless of the size of your event or budget.

Jason · Married on 08/25/2018

Bruce and Amanda came highly recommended from many of our other vendors and for good reason! During the whole process, Bruce and Amanda made us feel like our wedding was the only one they had. All of our guests kept raving about the food during our wedding and Bruce came out multiple times to personally verify that everything was perfect. Thank you Main Course for a wonderful night.

Alexa · Married on 12/22/2017

I can’t say enough about the Main Course; they were perfect from start to finish. We were on the fence about what kind of wedding we wanted until we met with Amanda from Main Course. She listened to what we envisioned and created an evening that was better than we could have ever imagined. The focus of our wedding was on the food; we enjoyed a seven course wine pairing dinner. Main course came up with an outstanding menu; one that our guests will never forget. We are still hearing from our guests how it was the best food they’ve ever had at a wedding.
    It was not only the food but also coming up with how the night will go, how it will look, how we will be seated, what flowers will be there, and more. Amanda was our wedding savior. She helped us with everything I just described and was just as excited as we were. Need help with wine pairing? They have an in house professional for that. Need someone who knows the space to do all of your flower arrangements? They have an in house professional for that. Want your menus to match the wedding invites you sent out? They have an in house graphic designer for that.
    Everything was so well thought out, and they gave attention to every little detail.
    We cannot recommend Main Course enough. Next event we have, there is no question that Main course will be our first choice.

Main Course 7
    Main Course 8

Jennifer · Married on 10/07/2017

Main Course was great. They are very professional and all of the food at our wedding was delicious. The service was on point and as we know its not just the food but the service people remember most about a wedding. They worked with my coordinator and DJ to make sure we were all on the same timeline for the day. Emily was so easy to work with and so helpful with all my questions and concerns. It was well worth the price to have a piece of mind knowing that they will do an excellent job and I didn't have to worry.

Leslie · Married on 09/16/2017

Bruce and his staff at Main Course went beyond our expectations as a caterer for my daughters wedding. They were a pleasure to work with, accommodating in every way, their service was impeccable and the food was delicious. Everything about them was exceptional from the friendliness of their staff to the presentation of the food to the ease of working g with them. They made the whole process of catering a wedding simple and easy. Their recommendations for stations and suggestions for food were so insightful and the food, wonderful. All caterers should be this pleasant and easy to work with!

Amy · Married on 09/02/2017

Main Course catered our September wedding in the Hudson Valley. We turned to Main Course after our original caterer proved to be unresponsive and less than interested in our big day, causing a few minor heart attacks. I wish I had hired Main Course from the moment we set a date! Amanda of Main Course calmed my every worry and made me feel like her only client. The level of service was beyond anything I was prepared for. The Main Course team supported every element of the wedding day from table setting, rental coordination, tent layout and design, to general council on, well...basically everything. Amanda was attentive, felt highly experienced and gave realistic, helpful feedback as we came up with ideas for our catering plan. Main Course ensured our guests would be able to flow through the day seamlessly with beautiful food and drinks to greet them all along the way. I loved planning my wedding and truly credit the Main Course team for making the planning experience wonderful. I felt like I was working with my friends from day one and would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 12/30/2017

Main Course's reply:

Amy, Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure working with you too!

martina · Married on 08/12/2017

Among the best vendors anywhere that my husband and I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Bruce, Amanda, and the rest of the fantastic Main Course team were in every aspect of planning and execution highly professional, responsive, expert, and above all, very pleasant to work with. We also found them very reasonably priced - altogether a rare combination. We would recommend Main Course without reservation to anyone. These guys go the extra mile!!

KIM · Married on 08/05/2017

The best food, very creative, Bruce is a real talent and very flexible. Our Wedding was in Vermont and Main Course traveled to be with us, all the staff was great and very professional. Service was very important to us so we had lots of staff, everything was exceptional. Amanda is the engine that makes this run well, Bruce is so much fun and food was beautiful , fresh and sourced as locally as possible. Can you tell we would reccomend Main Course with out reserve.

• I

Iruka · Married on 07/22/2017

The Main Course team was a godsend for my husband and me! I was in search of a wedding caterer with a focus on quality, seasonal ingredients and a fresh style in an area with mostly traditional catering options. Luckily, Main Course had reached out to my venue owner as an introduction at the same time that I was looking for a caterer. The owner put me in touch with Main Course and the rest is history. We hit it off with Bruce, Amanda, and Hogan right away. They have so much passion for their craft and provided much needed full service, including seamless coordination with my other vendors. Amanda is patient and gave me good advice throughout the planning process and was really my rock until the moment my husband and I drove away at the end of the wedding. I trusted them completely and they understood my vision, which they brought to reality with such professionalism and even love. And the food was delicious! A guest who attends a lot of weddings throughout the country later told me that my wedding was in her top 3 for best food. I honestly had to hold back a little emotion when Amanda informed me that the wedding had to wrap up because in that moment I realized that I wouldn’t see or speak to her much anymore (though I still keep in touch from time to time). I am grateful to have found Main Course and cannot understate their importance to the most beautiful day of my life.

Nova · Married on 05/12/2017

I searched high and low for a great caterer for a reasonable cost. I have checked out approx. 7 caterers before being referred to MC catering from a colleague. The taste test blew me and my mother away, the quality of food was amazing. We met with with Bruce and Amanda for the taste test, they paid attention to the minor details and took all of our input and the outcome was stunning the day of the ceremony. My sister, the bride is gluten free and they had to problem meeting her dietary need. Amanda was great from beginning to end, answering all of my questions and concerns, and everyone's response time was quick, didn't ever have to wait around more than half a day for a response.

Absolutely amazed how great Amanda, Bruce, Emily and the staff were for the day of the wedding. So professional and efficient! Bruce immediately welcomed us and was quick to offer us a beverage and knew the stress a wedding can cause, thus just telling us to relax and they have it handled. They sure did!

It was a small party at the Grey Stone Cottage at Locust Grove, Poughkeepsie (shout out to Ken!) yet there were no sacrafices, everything was top notch from the setting up to taking down. Emily was a tremendous help, guiding us through the whole ceremony, even with a small practice run of the ceremony itself on the day of.

Everyone went above and beyond and took a lot of pressure off of me, the maid of honor who coordinated the whole wedding. I have nothing but great things to say about MC catering and will highly recommend to anyone that is looking for a caterer.

We couldn't have done it without their guidance, expertise and quality of food that would be hard to surpass!

Thanks so much Bruce, Amanda, Emily and staff!

Elise · Married on 10/01/2016

I honestly don't even know where to begin. Hiring Main Course to cater and plan our Hudson Valley barn wedding on October 1 was the BEST decision that we made in the whole planning process. From our initial meeting to the day of the wedding, Bruce, Amanda and the rest of the staff were an absolute dream team. Bruce is such a great guy and a genius! He created the most perfect menu for our evening and really listened to what was important to us. He added an absolutely delicious vegan entree to our menu to accommodate family members and added personal touches to create a menu that really reflected us. The menu was completely personalized to us and every request we had was met with enthusiasm! Every aspect of the menu - the signature cocktails, passed hors d'oeuvres, the harvest table spread, the unique family style dinner, the outstanding dessert table and delicious wedding cake, was absolutely perfect. People are still raving about the food weeks later!! In addition to the outstanding food, the staff at Main Course is so completely in sync and professional. After a few meetings and phone calls with Amanda, I knew that I could put the entire event in her hands and not have to worry about a single thing being overlooked. She answered all of my questions promptly and with extreme poise, she calmed my nerves when I felt overwhelmed, took care of all of our rentals and made the place settings look absolutely exquisite, she made sure the barn was setup perfectly, and she ran the entire evening flawlessly. The waitstaff and bartenders were all extremely professional, courteous and on the ball the entire evening. Words cannot even express our gratitude and appreciation for all the hardwork, love and thought that the Main Course staff put into making our wedding a dream come true.

Melinda · Married on 09/17/2016

We used main course for our wedding. Emily, Amanda and Bruce exceeded all expectations of food and service. They know what they're doing. They were on point in every aspect of our wedding leaving no worries or stress. They went above and beyond what our expectations were in a wedding caterer.
    We got several compliments on it being the best food people have ever had.
    We also asked main course to cater our brunch the following morning at our home. They set everything up, made it look amazing, and they cleaned everything up. We didn't have to do one thing for a brunch of 40. Just enjoy the delicious food.
    Amazingly friendly staff, amazing experience. We would recommend them to anyone!

Dore · Married on 07/30/2016

Main Course was put on the most beautiful and professional wedding I could have imagined. The food was out of this world, the services was impeccable and they were very attentive to our needs throughout the entire process. They were completely transparent about costs and were willing to work with us to help reach our target budget.

We also used Amanda from Main Course as our wedding planner and she was crucial to our wedding success. Her schedule was so comprehensive I did not have a single thing to worry about on the wedding day. She was pleasant, helpful and calm through the entire process and made sure all of our special requests were taken into account for the weekend of our wedding.

If you are getting married in the Hudson Valley, Main Course is hands down the best choice for food, services, and execution. I cannot thank them enough for making my wedding vision come to life in such a magical way!

Lauren · Married on 09/26/2015

Hiring Main Course for catering our wedding at Shadow Lawn and to host our rehearsal dinner were two of the best decisions we made. The staff are unbelievable, and the food is as good as it gets with regard to freshness, flavor, and creativity.

We worked with Amanda, who worked very closely with us to help with menu planning, tastings, several menu changes, dealing with emails and calls from a stressed out micro-managing bride, etc. Never once did she seem bothered by our questions, our tireless efforts to negotiate wherever possible, or our indecisiveness. One thing (among many) that I absolutely loved about Amanda was that she didn't just tell us what we wanted to hear - she gave us her opinion when we asked for it. She advised against choosing tablecloths that don't reach the floor (thank g-d), and ran our rehearsal like the kindest drill sergeant you've ever met.

On the day of the wedding, the food was DELICIOUS...everyone raved about the HDs and each course (especially the butternut soup poured over spaetzle). I am not typically a fan of wedding cake, but I feel the need to point out that this one was out of this world amazing!

I can't thank Main Course enough in assisting us with our wedding. We had our wedding at Shadow Lawn and it is a true DIY wedding venue. We had the pleasure with working with Amanda in assisting us in the planning process. I thought it would be very difficult to plan our wedding and a DIY type of wedding at that living 9-10 hours away from NY. It was difficult at times but MC made it possible and alleviated many of the stressors that comes along planning such an event. We couldn't have done it without them. I loved that we were able to customize our farm to table family style meals and every detail of our wedding. We would present Amanda an abstract idea of how we wanted our day to look and she would bring that idea into fruition. Overall, the entire staff was so personable, kind, and was so delightful. I can not recommend MC enough to be part of your big day. Thank you MC!!!!

I whole heartedly, without reservation, recommend Main Course for weddings.

We had SO many compliments that the food at our wedding was exquisite and by far the best wedding meal that our guests had ever had. We really enjoyed the meal ourselves.

We had a mostly vegetarian meal with a fish entree, although we did have chicken, beef, and lamb in the appetizers (which were sooo pretty). We chatted with Bruce on the phone a few times while developing our menu, and every time he had no shortage of creative ideas. His approach to cuisine is very inventive, and even though we love to cook and dine ourselves, I sometimes had a hard time envisioning some of his ideas. But then it all came together at the tasting, and I was truly grateful for his creativity and the depth of his knowledge. It's rare that wedding catering challenges you and provides flavors you haven't had before, but Bruce is a true master of his craft and we really appreciated that.

Main Course really, legitimately practices farm to table cuisine -- it isn't just a trend with them but a guiding ethos for sure. The produce used for our wedding meal was as fresh as could be, veggies at their peak flavor, cooked perfectly.

Main Course is expensive, but the service we received was outstanding. Our coordinator was Amanda, and I was extremely impressed by her patience, organization, and thoughtfulness. I don't think we could have had such a beautiful wedding if it weren't for Amanda helping us through the planning process. She is truly professional and excellent at her job, and I can't say enough good things about Amanda.

All in all, I'd say Main Course is 100% professional, very creative and inventive, artful, elegant, modern, tasteful, sophisticated, conscientious... They really made our wedding a huge success and accommodated our specific menu requests, our custom cocktails, our custom cake, table settings, so on. It was all fantastic.

THANK YOU, Main course!! 5 Stars!

Jordan · Married on 08/02/2014

Main Course was incredible. Bruce and Heather were extremely flexible and worked with us to create a menu that catered entirely to our tastes. We love how they were able to integrate the menu with our theme and how well they were able to pull everything off using a facility that didn't have its own kitchen.

Kristen · Married on 05/18/2013

Heather and the Main Course team were phenomenal. From the moment I spoke to Heather on the phone, I knew that I wanted to use Main Course as my vendor. I had interviewed several other caterers in the Hudson Valley, but none were as accommodating and genuine as the service I was provided at Main Course. I first met with Heather in person at the restaurant for my tasting. My then-fiance and I were offered a cup of tea and led to an intimate back room to try our food and pick different tableware/linens for the event. The food was an instant hit and Heather and I corresponded many times to follow to adjust the menu, the rentals, and coordinate meetings with my florist. Heather was my day-of coordinator on the day of my wedding and she did an amazing job running my bridal party through the rehearsal and directing all of the vendors and guests on the actual wedding day. She kept me calm when I was at my most stressed and was thoughtful enough to leave some food in our cottage so that my husband and I could enjoy some of the dinner and dessert we missed while we were mingling. I have received so many compliments on the food, which guests thought was amazing (especially the pulled pork) and I could not be happier with the service we were provided on that day. If you are looking for great food, reliable service, and open communication with your vendor, Main Course is the vendor for you!

tricia · Married on 09/24/2011

Cannot give enough stars for Main Course. Bruce, Heather and Michelle are wonderful. The food is amazing. Their guidance in wedding planning is an added bonus. We learned so much. Heather is a pro. I still have guests from our wedding raving about the food. We stumbled upon this caterer while having lunch at their cafe and are so grateful we did. They directed us to a handful of wedding venues we never heard of and found our venue of our dreams. We love the team and food at Main Course so much that we had my birthday party catered from them and again, guests are still talking about the food!

• Christie

Christie · Married on 04/29/2016

Great vegan menu! We worked with Amanda to coordinate everything and she is a pleasure to work with. She has a great eye for detail and is quick to respond. Bruce (owner) met with us to help refine the original menu planned- he helped fine tune the flavors and feel of the menu and then we organized a tasting. He and Hogan walked me through the tasting and the food was beautifully presented and anywhere adjustments needed to be made, they would bring me out another plate. We were slightly nervous serving vegan food to our non-vegan family - we knew the food would HAVE to be good and filling to please everyone. At our dinner, everyone was raving that the food was the BEST food they have had at a wedding EVER. One couple even commented- with all the times they dine out, they have never had food this delicious! Main Course arrived in a timely manner, worked in a neat, professional fashion- Alana and Hogan worked our event and were AMAZING - the best we could have asked for! Main course even cleaned up meticulously and did not leave a trace. They were the utmost respectful group of people I have ever worked with. From start to finish- The Main Course team is a class act!

Laura · Married on 09/21/2013

3.5

Bruce and Heather are true professionals. We were throwing a real DIY wedding - in an empty barn space for 225 people. Literally everything had to be brought in, from catering, to booze, to lighting, bathrooms, heaters, and so on. We started out with one caterer and soon realized he was out of his league with the amount of work that needed to go into our event. We switched to Bruce and could not have felt more taken care of. Not only was the food incredible, but he and Heather took control of the event and the evening went off pretty much without a hitch. They were crucial in coordinating major pieces of the night.

Before the night even ended guests were raving about the quality of the food and the glowing reviews continued throughout the main course and even the next day through the brunch.

The price may be slightly more than some competitors - but they are totally worth it. Our wedding truly would not have been as seamless without Bruce and his team.

Liz · Married on 09/14/2013

Bruce and Heather were with us from the very early stages of our plans, helped us to find our venue and craft the weekend we had in mind. From our pig roast rehearsal dinner to the formal sit down wedding and a fantastic Sunday brunch, they impressed us and our guests at every turn with fantastic food and service. They are also much more than a caterer and helped us craft our floorplan, recommended great area vendors, and Heather worked closely with us to manage every aspect of our weekend. We were married at a barn without a kitchen so we suspect there were a few hiccups preparing a meal for 220 people at once. The food came out about 25-30 minutes later than we had expected. Our guests didn't seem to mind but had we known, we would have planned our timeline a bit differently. Overall, we were happy to have them along for the weekend. We couldn't have done it without them!

Rebecca · Married on 05/30/2010

Main Course comes highly reccomended. The food they served was unbelievable - I was told by many of our foodie guests it was the best wedding food they have ever eaten. We served a local, organic farm to table menu. The highlight of the night - an ice cream sundae bar featuring homemade lavendar ice cream made by the chef with lavendar from his personal garden - unreal!

Kristin · Married on 07/12/2014

3.0
      2.0
      1.0
      3.5

Overall, I thought that main course did a great job as caterers for our wedding. The food and the day of the wedding went very smoothly. The weeks months and days leading up the event were full of frustrations. There were certainly pros and cons to the whole experience.

Pros: The food was excellent, the staff was very kind and went out of their way to help out me and my husband the day of the wedding.

Cons: Too much staff. I had asked for less staff and friends of mine repeatedly saw staff members doing nothing. Knowing you're paying for unnecessary staff doesn't really put you at ease. In addition, my husband and I only got to try 1 out of the three passed appetizers. I would have loved to know how the others tasted.
    The cost-- When you are paying for a wedding yourself you actually look at every bill. I was charged $22 per child under the age of 5. I just thought this was a low blow. I was already paying so much and there is no way a 3 year old is eating $22 worth of food.
    The extra supplies. I was sent a spreadsheet of things that I needed to rent or purchase. Many of these items were things I thought a centering company would have in the first place, but then to my dismay, most of these things were not even used!! I totaled up about $250 in rental items that sat in a corner unused. Really disappointing.

This was my first experience with a catering company, so maybe my complaints come from inexperience and I love the Main Course marketplace, but overall I can't say I had a great experience with them.