Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Reviews

25 | Richmond, VA

25 Reviews for Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

Perfection!! They answered every question I had, updated each proposal, made sure everything went smooth and I didn't have to worry about a thing!! So many compliments on our venue (Flagler Garden & Robin's Tea House)

Sent on 04/22/2017
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 07/03/2016

I was married at the Flagler Pavilion and the reception was in the Robins Tea House! The venue was absolutely stunning. The people working at Lewis Ginter really outdo themselves with answering questions quickly and kindly! They are very accommodating and day of they were so sweet and helpful. I loved working with everyone there and would DEFINITELY book them again!!

Sent on 08/08/2016

Kayla · Married on 10/03/2015

Lewis Ginter was an amazing place to have our wedding. The staff was very courteous and responsive, and they made sure we had a back-up plan when it came down to it and our day was menaced by Hurricane Joaquin. The wait-staff and bartenders were wonderful, and the food was absolutely perfect.

Sent on 11/18/2015

Dianne · Married on 08/29/2015

My daughter chose the Lewis Ginter Botantical Garden for her August 2015 wedding. For eight months, we called and emailed with questions and visited the grounds of the Bloemendahl House as we planned this wedding. Donna Reynolds and her staff answered our questions promptly and always "with a smile". It was good to have a venue that had everything you needed...tables, chairs, tents, tablecloths, cake stand, easels, nice bathrooms, etc. On the day of our wedding, the gardens were absolutely beautiful! Sarah Neely of Lewis Ginter and Barbara Geary of Meriwether Godsey worked the wedding. These were two of the nicest ladies and they were constantly on the move to make sure every detail was taken care of and ensured everything ran flawlessly. Everyone we worked with at Lewis Ginter was professional, responsive, and fun to work with. If you are looking for a wedding venue that is stress-free, has great people to work with, and gives your wedding that "WOW" factor...then Lewis Ginter Botantical Garden should be your choice. So, to all the staff of Lewis Ginter Botantical Garden and Meriwether-Godsey Catering, we thank you for all that you did to make our daughter's wedding such a beautiful success!!

Sent on 09/05/2015

Racine · Married on 05/24/2015

I got married at Lewis Ginter on May 24, 2015 and it was an absolute pleasure! My venue within Lewis Ginter was the Bloemendaal House. The weather was absolutely beautiful and the gardens were well manicured, bright and sunny. Donna, the Facility Coordinator was the best! By the end of the process I felt like we were good friends. She was so responsive, professional, accommodating and overall very eager to assist.

The service did not stop there. Presilda, my catering manager was such a delight! Again, willing to bend over backwards to make sure my day was exactly what I wanted. The food was also delicious! We had shrimp and grits, fried chicken, pulled pork bbq, mac and cheese and green beans. Everything tasted so yummy and there was a lot of flexibility with the menu. Our wedding was brunch/lunch so the menu was awesome! So many of my guests said that our wedding was the best wedding they have ever attended and raved about the venue as well as the catering provided through Meriwether Godsey. I would recommend Lewis Ginter (specifically the Bloemendaal House) to any couple that is willing to take a risk with weather, but wants a beautiful outdoor wedding and impeccable service. You honestly will not be disappointed. Make sure you request Donna and Presilda! They are fabulous and made wedding planning so much easier and enjoyable.

Sent on 06/18/2015

Rebecca · Married on 10/04/2014

We had the most PERFECT wedding ceremony at Lewis Ginter! From the start, we worked with Donna, who was so incredibly helpful in answering ALL of my questions, and never made me feel like any of them were silly. They kept up with me regarding details that were settled closer to the day of, and when it came to the big day, I was introduced to everyone I'd be working with and they all did an amazing job! Highly recommend this venue!

Sent on 10/20/2014

I LOVED having my wedding at Lewis Ginter (ceremony in rose garden, reception in visitors center). It was an absolutely beautiful location – the ceremony was picturesque and we had more options for great portraits than we knew what to do with. The guests had a great time taking pictures in the front area of the garden and raved about how beautiful the ceremony site and reception location were. By having the reception in the Visitors Center we were able to have separate rooms for dinner and dancing/cake/etc., which worked out beautifully. No one felt cramped and everyone was able to mingle and flow through the rooms. The staff was also wonderfully helpful. I highly recommend this beautiful location!

Sent on 07/06/2014

Cynthia · Married on 05/25/2014

Lewis Ginter made our day soooo special. It was so beautiful and everyone was so helpful!!!

Sent on 06/30/2014

Jennifer · Married on 09/22/2013

We had a small wedding so we had our ceremony in the Flagler Garden and the reception was held in the Robins tea House which accommodates a max of 60ppl. The garden was beautiful so little decorations were needed, we just lined the aisle with mason jars filled with flowers and thats it! Our back up rain plan was already included with the Tea House too, which we liked. Donna Reynolds was very helpful and answered whatever questions I had, if not within a few hours then the next morning. We also loved that there was onsite catering. My advice: The less venders you have to deal with the better and Lewis Ginter was a one stop shop! Mary Harvey was also very helpful with my catering questions and responded in a timely manner. The day of the wedding we arrived at 4 to set up our decorations but the staff hadn't set up the linen and tableware so we had to wait. I just assumed that would be done before we got there, but it wasn't that big a deal. They also said they didn't know about the photo booth (even though it was on the vendor list form) we had coming so it was a good thing we didn't need a table for favors since we put them at each table seat, so that made room for the booth. The guests found the parking and ceremony site with ease with the help of the day of coordinator. The food was amazing, everyone loved everything on the buffet. My biggest gripe is during dinner we told our dj to call each table number up one at a time to avoid a huge line at the buffet, the bridal party went first and by the time we sat down there was a huge line of ppl at the buffet. One of the staff members took it upon themselves to go to each table and tell them to get up and eat. I wasn't going to make everyone sit back down until there table number was called so I just let it go but I really hated seeing everyone jumbled around the buffet table like that. Other than that, I would still highly recommend Lewis Ginter :)

Sent on 09/30/2013

Mary · Married on 06/08/2013

I was very pleased with the Rose Garden Wedding and Reception we had there. They were very knowledgable and straight forward with their rules and regulations. You definitely will have a beautiful day here rain or shine! It is a lovely venue and run by very professional people. They are also a good value when comparing prices to other venues.
    Mary (mother of the bride)

Sent on 06/28/2013

Lauren · Married on 09/20/2008

Lewis Ginter was excellent. Barbara and her assistant Mary were very responsive and were wonderful to work with. The grounds were beautiful and everything was set up exactly as discussed. The food and service were excellent. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. I highly recommend Lewis Ginter! (I had my ceremony and reception at the Bloemendaal House).

Sent on 10/06/2008

You are required to use their caterer (including alcoholic beverages) which has pros and cons. In my opinion, the food was simply average; however, our guests enjoyed it. This venue is a little pricey depending on the day and month, but it needed little to no decorations, and my photos look amazing! I would definitely recommended Lewis Ginter!

Sent on 10/29/2014

We had our ceremony and reception at the Bloemendaal House. We worked with Donna throughout the entire planning process and she was always quick to respond whenever we had any questions and very easy to work with. It was the perfect location to have a wedding!

Sent on 10/25/2013
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 09/14/2013

The venue is absolutely gorgeous (we got married in the Rose Garden for the ceremony, and The Visitors Center for reception) , and the staff was very helpful and accomodating. I must have emailed them a million times with questions, and they were very prompt with returning emails. Their caterer was wonderful to worth with, and the food was great. I would definitely recommend Lewis Ginter.

Sent on 10/22/2013

Rachel · Married on 08/21/2010

We were so pleased with how our wedding turned out at Lewis Ginter. We held the ceremony at the gardens in front of the Bloemendaal house and had the reception under a tent on the house patio. Barbara, Mary and Kristen were all so helpful during the whole process and were always very prompt with responding to questions. Meriwether Godsey, their exclusive catering company, was great to work with and the food was amazing! On the day of the wedding, the staff was incredibly helpful and made the day perfect!

Sent on 01/02/2011

Margaret · Married on 06/04/2016

My husband and I had a fairy tale wedding at Lewis Ginter thanks to their amazing staff and beautiful grounds. We highly recommend using the Bloemendaal House for your reception site! We are still receiving cards, texts and emails about how beautiful the day was! We were very pleased with the beauty of the grounds, rental prices, and the catering service of Meriwether Godsey. Thank you Lewis Ginter for helping to make our wedding day extra special!!

Sent on 06/17/2016
  • Pam

Pam · Married on 10/10/2010

tad slow on replying, but everything else was stellar!

Sent on 10/26/2010

Juan · Married on 05/02/2015

We had a great ceremony and reception (60 people) at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. The staff answered all our questions in a timely manner, and staff is available on your wedding day to direct your guest to your ceremony/reception site.

Catering/Alcoholic beverages: Meriwether Godsey (Only one allowed by the Gardens)
    The food was delicious, but they did not set up on a timely fashion. We had to let them know to bring out the food. I guess they thought we would take longer, but we didn't want to wast our 4 hours (the time you get, unless you pay extra) with waiting around.

Great selection of beer and wine. I loved this location, because you don't have to do much when it comes to decoration. I saw some ratings stating that this place is pricey, but honestly I didnt think so. I guess it depends on where you are coming from, and the size of your party. If you are coming from middle of the country, it might seem expensive, but if you are coming from Northern Virginia/Los Angeles/New York/Washington D.C. then inexpensive would be your thought.

I would have my wedding here again.

Sent on 05/06/2015

Stephanie · Married on 07/20/2013

I really enjoyed working with the Lewis Ginter staff to plan my wedding reception. They are veterans at hosting weddings, and it shows. They run like a well-oiled machine! I enjoyed the fact that they use an in-house caterer so that I didn't have to choose yet another vendor. My only gripe might be that it was a bit confusing knowing who to talk to for which issue (so many people seem to have specified roles). The Garden is such a beautiful spot for a wedding, and I wish I could do it again!

Sent on 07/30/2013

Sarah Beth · Married on 09/02/2012

3.5

I used Lewis Ginter for my ceremony and reception. Unfortunately the ceremony was rained out, no fault of the Garden. Donna Reynolds was always very professional and responsive to my needs. They allowed us to wait until the very last moment to make the decision about a rain plan. They were always very generous with their time and had no qualms about answering the countless questions I had. It was a lovely setting.

Sent on 09/06/2012
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 09/03/2011

3.8
      3.0

Find out who is in charge of what part of your wedding. Lewis Ginter has two different departments in which handle your wedding and the have a ton of people working in both. I talked to probably 5 different people until I found out who was my wedding advisor.
    It is a beyond beautiful place and is outstanding for the value. We had an entire house and garden for our ceremony and reception and my bridal photos (done before the big day in the south) were free, usually $150.

Sent on 09/27/2011

Geneice · Married on 05/31/2014

3.6
      2.5

Lewis Ginter is definitely a gorgeous place to have a wedding ceremony and reception. While the setting is beautiful the price tag to host an event is a tad expensive. They only give you an option of renting the site for 4 hours with an additional hour at $350. In addition you have to use their in house caterer which definitely limits the food and alcohol choices. We were actually pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food at the reception. Our previous tasting of their fare was less than stellar, however, they made up for that at the reception. Overall the venue assisted us in having a beautiful ceremony and reception. If we had to do it over again though we would have found somewhere more affordable.

Sent on 08/03/2014
  • leigh

leigh · Married on 10/20/2018

3.6

A beautiful space!

The garden and reception were beautiful!! But they have an exclusive caterer, there is no changing area for the wedding party, and the time restrictions made things very hectic and stressful. You can not access the venue until 2 hours before the wedding!

Sent on 10/22/2018

2.8
      3.0

I had my wedding and reception at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in May, and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful place to get married. It was picture-perfect. My photos are gorgeous.

I will say that the events planners are not always the easiest to get a hold of by phone or email in the months leading up to the wedding, and they really do very little to assist you in the ceremony or on the wedding day, but they also don't interfere. My husband and I both thought that for the price (compared to other venues we looked at) we thought we would have gotten a little more customer service; however, they don't have to work hard to get people to hold events there because the garden is so beautiful.

The catering was great- but one of the cons is that if you hold an even there, you have to use their caterer and use their bar, which is more expensive than other venues. The food was delicious though!

Sent on 07/01/2014

Danielle · Married on 08/27/2016

1.8
      1.0
      2.0

I have been dreading writing this review but really don't wish my experience upon any other bride. I'll start with the good stuff- I was married at the Bloemanndaal House and the space is gorgeous. Donna on staff was a pleasure to work with, but she is not the facility coordinator that you get on the actual day of your wedding. Two hours for set up was barely sufficient time to get ready for an event. And they have zero flexibility. You are allowed 5 cars at the house at a time, and when my bridal party and I arrived, we were not allowed to drive to the house because five cars were already down there. Similarly, our band had to carry their equipment from the parking lot to the house rather than being able to be dropped off out front. All that said, I probably would have been fine dealing with them if it were not for being required to work with their in house caterer, Merrieweather. They were awful to work with - we did not enjoy our tasting and when we expressed concerns they told us that we could be released from our contract and find a new wedding venue!! We looking back at photos of the bar set up, I was surprised to notice that the wines listed were not the same wines that we selected. And our bill charged us for a size of bourbon bottles that does not exist, but was revised when we noted that. The cake serving was probably a health code violation, the woman would slice it and with her bare hand place it onto the plate, then drag her hand across the plate to wipe off the icing. I cringe thinking about it. In the end, the food was served 15 minutes behind schedule but was far better than we expected and I don't think many guests noticed anything being sub par.

Sent on 08/14/2017