28 Reviews for Larz Anderson Auto Museum

Outside Alcohol (1)
Wheelchair Access (1)
27 Larz Anderson Auto Museum Reviews

0.8

it was the worse i ever went to i dont like it i rather get married in disney

Profile Picture yoyo, 7/5/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had the ceremony and reception of our wedding inside the museum. It is an amazing place to get married. We had 120 guests and a sweet heart table. Cocktails, Photo Booth and table for appetizers and desserts in the back and a good space for dancing... it was amazing.
Karen was so helpful throughout the process and at the day of the wedding She was always available.
we highly recommend the museum for any event.

Profile Picture Daniela, 9/3/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor

Karen was great to work with and this venue really made the wedding something spectacular. We are hearing from guests that it was the best wedding they've ever attended. We set out a bar area with Hive in the outdoor space and had a band, food and photo booth inside. We paid for the extra hour to have the museum close early and it was worth it. Oh, and my wedding photos in front of the museum and at the top of the hill are absolutely epic. Worth every penny!!

Profile Picture Tara, 6/3/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Parking, Bridal Suite, Uncovered Outdoor

This was the most wonderful place to have our wedding reception. The museum is beautiful, interesting and all of our guests were amazed and had a great time. Even if you aren’t a car fanatic, you will love the exhibits and architecture. We had good weather and were able to use the outside patio for cocktail hour before heading inside for dinner and dancing. With about 100 guests, that seemed to be about the most you could fit for a sit down dinner inside and still have room to move around and dance. I also liked that there was flexibility in how we could do the seating and use the space inside. Karen at the museum was great to work with, and always very prompt in responding to emails. You do have to choose a caterer from their approved list, but there is a lot of variety and the caterer we chose was fantastic. We felt that the rental rate was reasonable, and in line with similar venues. If you want a truly unique place to have a wedding reception in the Boston area, Larz Anderson is the way to go.

Profile Picture Carsten, 5/27/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Parking

This is a great place for a wedding! Karen is really helpful and easy to work with, and the whole staff was great during the event. All our guests absolutely loved the unique venue, and we're really glad we chose it.

Profile Picture Erica, 5/20/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We got married at Larz Anderson Auto Museum this past August. We had a our ceremony at the park and our cocktail and reception at the museum. We could not have been happier with the venue and its staff. Working with Karen Hasenfus was a pleasure from the beginning of our process. Karen and her team's professionalism, assistance and care resonated until the last guest left the venue nine months later.

We had an 80 person wedding inside the carriage house, which we thought was the perfect size. The main room overall flowed nicely and did not feel tight at all, while still maintaining a decent size dance floor. If considering a summer or late summer (when temps are slightly cooler) reception inside the museum, we recommend upping the suggested 2 fan to 3 or 4. It gets hot in that room, but that is manageable.

Other than that, you can count on a beautiful and super cool venue; and a timely, responsive and informative group to work with at the museum.

Profile Picture Cynthia , 8/27/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We are still not over how perfect our wedding day was. The Larz Anderson Auto Museum was a striking, unique venue and all of our friends and family have told us how much they enjoyed celebrating there. We opted for a standing cocktail hour–style reception with passed heavy apps and a taco bar at the back so we could save room for the dance floor. Best decision we could have made! People were really able to mingle and explore the museum/grounds because they weren't tethered to a table all night. We had the big green doors open all night so people could head outside for a breather. Karen was a breeze to work with from our first visit to the final walk through and main event. She advocated for us with the caterer and made sure we had all the information we needed and always answered our questions quickly.

If you're looking for a beautiful alternative to your usual banquet hall/ballroom reception, we could not recommend Larz Anderson more highly. We ended up hiring the Fireplace (one of their recommended caterers) and between the support from the catering manager and Karen we felt totally ready to throw an incredible reception.

Note: We paid $350 extra to have the museum closed an hour earlier than usual, because the venue otherwise is available after 4pm (and we needed over an hour for setup). There was also a $500 refundable security deposit which was returned to us in full.

Profile Picture User5561521, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Larz Anderson Auto Museum was the perfect venue for our wedding. I am a teacher so I loved the 1800's schoolhouse that was across the street and my husband loves cars so the museum was perfect. Our guests enjoyed looking at all the artifacts in the museum. We have received awesome feedback from our guests who had a great time. Just one thing we didn't think of is that the museum is not air-conditioned so be careful of the dates you select.

Profile Picture User5578084, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Outside Alcohol, Parking

No doubt about it, the Larz Anderson Auto Museum is a beautiful and unique wedding venue! Not to mention a complete hidden gem in the Boston area. My husband and I got married on a Friday (hello discount) and held both the ceremony and reception inside. We choose Larz for a few reasons, it is affordable for the Boston area without being locked into to a minimum spending limit, it is in no way cookie cutter, and because my dad is a car nut so I thought it would be a fun little extra way to say "thank you". During our buffet dinner the main room comfortably held about 75 people + sweetheart table with plenty of room for dancing. The staff was attentive and helped the whole event run smoothly. Not only is the atmosphere of the building enchanting, but you also have all of the park to use for photos! Our guests loved the exhibits and are still talking about what an interesting place it was. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

Profile Picture Lisa, 10/24/14, 2 Reviews
4.2

It was great having our wedding at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum. Karen was great at letting us walk around the museum and plan during the year prior to the wedding, and let us in a little bit early to set up our decorations for the day of. My only complaint would be that they had an event the day before which prevented us from dropping off supplies early (and didn't tell us about the event until the day before). But other than that, it was a beautiful space to have our 100-person wedding and to celebrate with all our friends and family...

Profile Picture User3904090, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We recently got married at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum. It is such a special place! Our ceremony was outside in the park area, our cocktail and dancing was in the museum, and we had a tented dinner to accomodate our 130 guests. It's a beautiful venue and we highly reccomend it for couples wanting a more unique wedding site. Book early as the museum holds many weekend events!

Profile Picture User3612601, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Larz Anderson auto museum, well... any auto museum, has always been a dream wedding venue for me. Luckily, my bride agreed and we had an amazing time. All night, and still over a week later, we still get compliments on the venue. Such a unique place, and it really cleans up nicely for a wedding! We had a total of 115 people with 12 tables, and a sweetheart table, and it was probably the limit for comfort while still maintaining a large dance floor. Karen was very helpful in planning throughout the previous 10 months, and Sylvia and the staff were also very helpful the night of the event.

Profile Picture User3553233, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I recently held my wedding there and could not be happier! Its a beautiful Museum and just perfect for an off-beat event if you're looking for something less traditional. I highly recommend the staff there and the vendors they use are superb. I wouldn't change a thing!

Profile Picture Laura, 11/3/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My son's wedding was held in Larz Anderson Park - the ceremony was outside on the top of the hill and the reception was in the Auto Museum. The auto museum is a beautiful place. It was the carriage house of the Larz Anderson estate (just imagine what the house must have looked like!). It is now a museum. As a museum it is an interesting place to explore. As a wedding venue it is a wonderfully unique, pretty and relatively spacious setting in which to celebrate. The guests numbered about 110. This number fit perfectly in the space. We had hoped to serve the appetizers outside and bring the guests in for dinner but the weather didn't cooperate requiring us to hold both the reception and dinner inside. This worked just fine. There is a back area that was spacious and the guests enjoyed wandering through the museum exhibits. There was also plenty of room for our table set up (three long rows) while still allowing plenty of room for dancing by the front door. It was a romantic evening in a wonderfully different setting. I also must comment on the staff at the museum, particularly Karen Hasenfuss. Everyone was helpful and professional. They are charged with protecting the displays while assuring the customer and guests enjoy their time in the setting. They were more than able to accomplish both. I worked with Karen for nine months during which she "talked me down" from "crises" to crises. She was always responsive, cheerful, encouraging and helpful. You will notice that I took away one star for flexibility. This is simply because of the nature of the venue. It is a museum. They have rules. You need to abide by those rules in order to protect the museum and it's contents. But I found that, even within "the rules" Karen made every attempt to be as flexible as possible. We loved Larz. Our guests loved Larz. It is a unique and charming venue for nearly any event.

Profile Picture Amelie, 9/29/12, 5 Reviews
4.2

The museum is a wonderful location for the right sized reception and the staff was very accessible. The only caution I would offer is that it's a museum first and a reception venue second, so couples may find their plans forced to change unexpectedly as a result of changes at the museum. In our case, a few spaces that were shown to us when we viewed the museum were subsequently converted to exhibits before our wedding and were not available to use as we had intended.

In the end, we worked through it and the day turned out great. We had 110 people and a band, and I wouldn't recommend trying to get much more in. Highly recommended for a couple looking for something different and willing to adapt if necessary.

Profile Picture Brian, 9/14/12, 2 Reviews
3.8

I loved the idea of a wedding here at the museum, but for the price I would never do it again. The $3,500 fee ($4,500 I believe for Saturdays) covers the museum rental for the day, the liquor permit, and police detail. Everything else, be prepared to pay for. If you want to get married outside on the museum front lawn, it's free but to get married anywhere else in the park it's a $250 permit fee to Brookline. Be prepared to spend an extra couple grand to rent all the tables and chairs from your caterer, including ceremony chairs if you want them. It added a good $2,500 onto our final catering bill for 75 people (more than the food), and we chose the cheapest option for almost everything. The museum is also not air conditioned, and they wanted to charge us something like $1,200 to have a portable air conditioner for the evening. Seeing as we already spent so much on furniture, we couldn't afford the air conditioning and it turned out to be a HOT day. Everyone was sweating and uncomfortable. Also, our 75 person group left just enough space for dancing. If you want a large dance floor (without keeping the front doors open) I wouldn't recommend a larger wedding even though they can accommodate them. We saw a wedding set up for about 100-125 people and there was such little room to move and no dance floor. Karen was phenomenal. We had a little issue with a new museum policy (after we had booked with our caterer and signed the contract with the museum) and the caterer wanted to charge us an extra $5 a person....blaming it on a new museum policy. The museum obviously pinned it on the caterer, saying it's their decision to charge it or not to existing customers. Karen explained the entire situation to us and always answered my questions promptly. (Needless to say we lost that battle since we weren't about to look for another caterer and lose our deposit, but that's on the caterer.)

Profile Picture User3127584, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved our wedding at the Larz Anderson!! It was truly beautiful, magical, a great location and unique venue! If you are looking for something other than the usual hotel or country club, this is for you! Karen was absolutely wonderful, the place looked great, everything went smooth and the ceremony in the Larz Anderson park overlooking the city was gorgeous. It is a bit on the expensive side and you do need to find all your own vendors, but they have great recommendations and it was all totally worth it! I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding in such a great setting and the staff was fabulous throughout the process! Highly recommend, especially if you are a unique bride looking for something different!

Profile Picture Jessica, 5/19/12, 3 Reviews
4.3

The Larz Anderson Museum was a fantastic location for our wedding reception in early October. We had a reception for 145 guests at the museum that used both the interior of the museum and a tent on the front lawn. We held cocktail hour in the museum, dinner in the tent, and then invited everyone back inside for a band in the museum.

The things I loved about this venue:
-Unique and memorable venue - guests loved it (even non-car enthusiasts). The exhibits include cars, artwork, and fashion.
-Exhibits have lots of bright colors so the rooms don't require extensive decorations. There's a gorgeous front door to the main hall that makes for a grand entrance when the wedding party is announced.
-Main room has gleaming hardwood and is large enough for a band, dance floor, and some tables
-At night the museum looks striking from the outside when lit up
-Mini theater off the main room to show a slideshow
-The Larz Anderson park down the hill is great for photos.
-Karen was very helpful and responsive during pre-wedding planning
-Sylvia is one of the few bargains in wedding planning. We hired her as a day-of coordinator at the reception. She worked with all of our vendors and helped the night run smoothly.

Downsides:
-In addition to the cost of renting the venue, you have to bring in everything. I wanted an event that was far more customized than a traditional wedding hall or hotel could offer - but I paid for it. Renting tables and chairs and bringing in all the vendors is expensive.
-You must comply with Town of Brookline regulations. If you serve alcohol, you have to hire a police officer (though they are discreet - I never saw him/her). We did not end up using any propane heaters in the tent, but if we did, we were supposed to also hire a fireman. Also, Brookline doesn't allow for amplified music after 11pm so any band or DJ has to wrap up at that time.
-You have to use an approved caterer. This wasn't a problem for us as Peppers was an approved caterer (and they're fantastic), but this might be an issue for others.

Overall, I highly recommend this venue to any couple who is looking for a unique reception location. Our wedding guests loved it and my husband and I had a wonderful evening.

Profile Picture Kate, 10/1/11, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Staff was great to work with! Very friendly and accommodating, they were very easy to get a hold of.

Profile Picture John, 6/25/11, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We got married at The Larz Anderson Auto Museum!!!

It was the perfect location since our theme was "Flowers & Ferraris!" Every table was named after Jason's favorite exotic car companies and his mom made our Orchids with floating candles centerpieces and my red rose & white lisianthus bouquet (and all the bouttonieres & corsages!!) And my mom found my favorite flower, the purple lilacs & found pewter cars with a lil just married couple for everyone's place card & to pair with our Yera Dé Herbal Teas Wedding Favors!! And Pepper's Catering company brought my other request, bamboo & made amazing gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes made from flax seeds with tofu frosting & edible flowers!! They were amazing!! And we toasted with non-alcoholic Swedish Lingonberry Sparkling Cider in honor of Jay's mother and his father was even our Justice of the Peace for the Day!! And my dad was the most amazing support & wedding planner extraordinaire! He even agreed to dance to Broadway's Beauty & The Beast "No Matter What" daddy-daughter duet! We were so silly, but it was one of the happiest moments of my life! And Jason looked SOOOOO good! Truly debonaire! And the tea ceremony & rings and vows was exactly what we, as a couple, had intended. Simple. Genuine. Organic. Truly Magical Moment. I felt like I was surrounded by a thousand lights but at the same time, it was just us two up there staring at each other with gleaming tears on the verge of streaming down our face and beaming smiles and I felt nothing but love from every part of my past, present and future. It was the greatest moment of my life. The start of the next chapter of our life together. ♥

Profile Picture Jaime, 5/28/11, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The setting at Larz Anderson is unique, beautiful, clean and spacious. And we had a great time working with Karen. She's delightful to work with, very cool, responsive, and so flexible! My husband Sean came up with the brilliant idea to make our grand entrance as husband and wife in his 1970 Eldorado. I initially scoffed at the idea, thinking the museum wouldn't let us, but when we asked, Karen said, "Sure!" She was thrilled with the idea! And that's what we did! It was quite an entrance (we were very careful :), and it was a complete surprise to all our guests, and no doubt made our wedding very memorable. We couldn't have been happier with our experience at Larz. 4 thumbs up!

Profile Picture Cristina, 5/14/11, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our wedding at the Larz Anderson was absolutly beautiful. Several of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to. The only drawback about the venue is the lack of onside tables and chairs. We had to rent them separately. I'm really happy we chose his venue for our wedding.

Profile Picture C, 10/30/10, 1 Review
4.7

The Museum of Transportation is the ultimate venue. It is situated in Larz Anderson Park, Brookline, MA, beautiful property. The Museum itself is a beautiful French style building, spacious, many rooms, with a huge main reception hall. The exhibits are wonderful and add to the event and are nice because the "men" also have something special (as most men like cars a lot). The Great Gatsby theme in the main hall this summer, accompanied by fashions from that era, was very pretty and interesting.
Everything was perfect about our wedding. Karen was great in giving us excellent information, advice, and suggestions in planning the event. I called her many times and she was always available. The museum staff Sylvia was also great that day, making sure everything went well and addressing and snafus as the evening went along.

Profile Picture Anne, 8/7/10, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our wedding ceremony on the lawn at Larz Anderson Auto Museum, followed by a pre-dinner cocktail reception inside the beautiful museum! We were looking for a unique, memorable venue to host our 315 guests and found Larz Anderson to be the perfect setting! While we encountered some challenges in regards to the size of our guest list, Karen (the coordinator) did whatever she could to accommodate us and make sure our day was the dream we'd envisioned. This is truly the perfect venue to set your wedding apart and customize many details, but it does require a hefty budget or a lot of creativity (we opted for the latter; warning - it's not easy!). Ultimately, the exhibit and museum ground provided a perfect backdrop for a wonderful day and we are so thankful for Karen and her team's hard work to help us bring each piece together when it counted!

Profile Picture Allison, 6/26/10, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Larz Anderson Auto Museum was exactly the type of place we dreamed of getting married: romantic castle architecture, unique, historical museum setting, beautiful landscaping and city convenience all combined. It's ideal for a smaller wedding, but works with larger groups if you set up a tent on the lawn or having a standing cocktail reception. Karen was great to work with (she spoke from personal experience as both her daughters were recently married there) and things went very smoothly overall. The only issues we encountered were due to the Town of Brookline's many restrictions, which put a damper on our plans to be married at the Top of The Hill. I'd highly recommend this venue - it's truly one of a kind.

Profile Picture Allison, 6/5/10, 2 Reviews