Lael Cakes Reviews

Lael Cakes 2
Lael Cakes 3
  • Sydney

Sydney · Married on 07/13/2019

Gluten free, nut free cake

Emily made us an amazing cake for 40 people! She assured us our cake could be made gluten free and nut free, and it was a beautiful cake!

Sent on 07/15/2019

Liz · Married on 06/08/2019

Stunning, delicious, and allergen friendly!

Would give 10 stars if we could! When thinking about a cake for our wedding, we had completely given up on finding something gluten free that would both look and taste good! We can firmly say that Emily’s cakes were the most delicious that we have ever had; her flavors were extraordinary and our guests were even more floored to hear that they were gluten free. The sugared flowers were even so gorgeous that I thought that they were real until we cut our cake. Apart from being delicious and gorgeous, Emily was so kind and listened to our ideas, turning them into a finished product that exceeded our own creative vision. Already thinking about future parties to throw so that we can commission another cake from her. Needless to say, we would recommend her to anyone and everyone (in fact, we already have)!

Sent on 06/11/2019
    Lael Cakes 4
  • Arnold

Arnold Glick · Married on 11/03/2018

Amazing Allergy-Friendly Cake

Lael cakes was exactly what we needed for our wedding. The bride is lactose intolerant and all of the dairy-free cakes we've tried before were dry or didn't taste great. Emily was able to create an incredible tasting dairy-free cake and the flavors fit perfectly for our theme. She totally understood the aesthetic of our wedding and the cake matched perfectly as well. The whole process was fun and easy, it was something we didn't have to worry about leading up to the big day.

Sent on 11/29/2018

Mallory · Married on 09/15/2018

I've been vegan for 15 years, and always assumed a traditional wedding cake wouldn't be an option for me.... then, as vegan bakeries got better and better, I found myself a gluten-free partner, and assumed again that we wouldn't be able to have a traditional cake.

Then we found Emily at Lael Cakes, and what can I say? Dreams do come true. (Yes, dreams. I LOVE CAKE!)

In addition to the remarkable beauty of her cakes, they taste great. We got three fascinating and fantastic flavor combinations, and people were shocked how good everything was. Though we had a 100% vegan and gluten-free wedding, we had only a small number of veg*an and/or gluten-free guests, so we took a LOT of teasing leading up to the date that people would be smuggling in "real" food.

They ate their words, and then went back for a second piece of cake.

Seriously, Emily's cakes are SO GOOD, that they don't get those caveats: "Good for vegan," or "Way better than most gluten-free cakes," or anything like that. These cakes are just GOOD. Light, flavorful, not overly-sweet but still hitting the "cake" note (these are not health foods).

I'll definitely use her services for special events moving forward, not just weddings. In fact, I might invent reasons to need to order a cake. They're just that good!

Flavors:
    -Lemon cake with strawberry-basil buttercream
    -Olive oil cake with vanilla buttercream and fresh figs
    -Ginger-spice cake (think somewhere between gingerbread and carrot cake) with orange blossom buttercream

Sent on 09/17/2018
    Lael Cakes 5
    Lael Cakes 6
  • Sascha

Sascha G · Married on 09/15/2018

A brilliant cake and top notch experience

How to even begin describing the incredible experience we had with Emily? She truly made us the most stunning wedding cake. The wedding cake of our dreams! People who were not even at our wedding are STILL talking about how insanely gorgeous our wedding cake was.
    Working with Emily to create our marvelous cake was also a dream. We came in with a vague idea of what we wanted, but, together, we shaped our vision into reality. Emily was patient, kind and encouraging of all our ideas. She also is extremely creative and resourceful. She advised us on what fruits would be in season and where she would order them from and presented us designs of her creative concepts after several discussions with us. She talked us through the implications of different flavor and texture combinations and advised on artistic directions that would flow with the vibe we wanted at our wedding. In the end, she created a luscious three tiered pavlova, resplendent with seasonal fruits and berries, that was not only gorgeous to look at (our guests were in awe!), but was also delicious! For an unforgettable wedding cake experience (in the absolute best way possible), there is no other choice: you must go with Lael!

Sent on 02/07/2019

Megan · Married on 10/21/2016

As long-time vegans, we never questioned having a fully vegan (and mostly gluten-free) wedding, but we never thought we would find such elegant and magazine-worthy desserts as Emily's. She was recommended to us by our caterer and I immediately fell in love with her aesthetic. We met her for a tasting and loved everything! It was tough to decide but she worked out a plan that included lots of flavor options, and featured a stunning tiered cake, mini cupcakes and mini pies. It is unreal how great her desserts taste, especially for being gluten-free. All of our guests raved, most of whom are not vegan or gluten-free. My only wish was that we had ordered more - the cupcakes and mini pies were such a huge hit that they will gone almost instantly!

The entire process was super easy and organized too!

Sent on 11/30/2016

Danielle · Married on 04/10/2016

Emily created the most delicious and beautiful cake I have ever seen. I gave her some ideas of what I wanted, and the finished product exceeded what I had imagined. As a vegan, it was important to me to have a vegan cake. I never knew I would be able to have a vegan cake with magazine worthy design. I had so much fun at our first meeting and tasting the different flavors I was interested. It was really difficult to narrow down to one choice because they were all so incredible. She flexible and let me pick different flavors for each tier! She then sketched out the ideas I had right in front of me and a few weeks later game me a sketch via email. I really appreciated that she was able to give us all necessary documents electronically. My wedding cake was as beautiful as it was delicious. I'm actually looking forward to my one year anniversary so I can eat the top tier!

Sent on 10/10/2016

Tais · Married on 04/09/2016

My wedding cake was as beautiful and tasty as I could have wished for. Lael's "office" is gorgeous, she is very nice - not pushy at all, and her creations are eye catching and delicious. She was accommodating with my budget and dietary restrictions and the end result was perfect! I can't wait for my next event to order another cake!

Sent on 05/03/2016

Shelley · Married on 06/27/2015

We were thrilled to find Emily to create our wedding cake. We really wanted a cake that everybody could enjoy. To deliver such an incredible, delicious cake experience and promise vegan and gluten-free is truly impressive. From our first tasting and meeting with Emily to the delivery of the cake on the big day, everything was just perfect. We were confident that it would be wonderful and were delighted when so many of our guests spontaneously shared how much delicious it was and how much they enjoyed it. There was virtually none left at the end of the evening! We would highly recommend Lael Cakes. Thank you, Emily!

Sent on 06/29/2015

Sarah · Married on 11/29/2014

Emily just made a cake for me for my wedding at 501 Union in Brooklyn, NY, and it was absolutely stunning. I have strict dietary restrictions, but Emily was open and flexible in her creation. She was creative and fun in her design- I absolutely loved the way the cake turned out. At the tasting she gave us options so we really could make an informed decision. She also gave us sketches, something that other bakers did not do. I would highly recommend her cakes to anyone!

Sent on 12/04/2014

Absolutely delicious wedding cake! Emily is a true artist and fabulous baker. I have a ridiculous number of food allergies all of which she took in stride and with a smile on her face saying that she'd be able to accommodate them and she did more than accommodate - she created a stunning cake that tasted so amazing and that I didn't want to stop eating! The design of the cake was adorable and beautiful and was exactly what we wanted and we got so many compliments by guests about how wonderful the cake tasted. She is a true star in the wedding cake industry. Get her to make your cake if you can!

Sent on 10/19/2014

Emily created 7 awesome cakes for our wedding. Not a speck left, and totally gorgeous. Highly recommended.

Sent on 09/17/2013

Nao · Married on 04/27/2013

We highly recommend Emily and Lael Cakes! Emily was super easy-going and both professional and responsive from the beginning. We had a rough idea for our wedding cake and she was able to help us imagine it and sketched it out during our initial tasting. We knew then that we had found the one! We also had a special cake topper request (our childhood anime characters) and she executed and delivered them marvelously. What made them extra special was the fact that she added a tophat and a veil to the characters - we had tons of paparazzi's surround the cake from all angles prior to our cake cutting ceremony. The cake itself was really flavorful and moist but not heavy, and tasted deliciously. All of our guests loved them - especially our vegan friends - but none of them knew or could taste the fact it was vegan AND gluten-free!

I'm 100% certain that everyone loved our cake as much as this bride and groom! Thank you Emily and Lael Cakes!

Sent on 06/15/2013

Ashley · Married on 04/20/2013

Emily from Lael Cakes is completely wonderful! She created a gluten-free cake covered in gold frosting for our wedding that was AMAZING and exactly what we wanted. She was always prompt and friendly with her email responses, and her service exceeded our expectations. We ordered a simple, relatively small, single-tier cake, but she still met us at a coffee shop to share three ample-sized samples for our tasting. We hope to have other occasions to order cakes from her - and put her artistry to use! We just loved working with her!

Sent on 05/09/2013

Andreina · Married on 10/21/2012

I found Emily on a wedding magazine, one of her cakes was actually on the cover, and inside there were many other of her amazing cakes. I fell she had to be the one to make the cakes for my wedding.
    My husband is a chef and I am a graphic designer so we were searching for something that would be great for the two of us, and I'm not into the normal white crust super sweet cakes, we wanted something a bit more modern and special. and she fulfill both our expectations and beyond, because they are not just incredible beautiful but they are so delicious it's absurd.

Emily is amazing, talented and very open, I totally recommend her for any special occasion when you feel like having a 'wow' cake!

Sent on 11/08/2012

Lael Cakes created the most beautiful and delicious wedding cake for our event, that was exactly to our specifications. We wanted a healthier cake with unique flavor combinations, and our cake definitely fit the bill. Emily created a beautiful design for us that was completely what we had envisioned.
    Emily was super responsive, very flexible with changes, and an absolute pleasure to work with. Her gluten-free, vegan cakes are absolutely delicious, and she is the only wedding cake baker in the city making these kinds of cakes at such a high caliber.

Sent on 07/24/2012

Verzhine · Married on 05/04/2012

Lael Cakes provided our wedding cake. It was a gorgeous, tasty thing that exceeded our expectations. It looked and tasted so good that none of our guests could guess that it was actually a vegan cake!

We had gone through many vendors in NYC in search of a beautiful vegan cake before we arrived at Lael. As soon as we found them, we knew they'd be making our cake. In fact, we had unknowingly seen a Lael cake in a magazine and had used the image to show what sort of decoration we were looking for, and we had no idea the cake was vegan.

The cake Lael made for us was multi-tiered with smooth buttercream frosting and sugar flowers and brooches to match the decor of our wedding. It was lovely.

We highly recommend Lael Cakes for any cake, whether your needs be vegan, gluten-free or just for any old cake.

Thanks, Lael Cakes!

Sent on 06/16/2012

Anne · Married on 04/14/2012

A few things:
    1. The cake was delicious, even for non-gluten free guests. This is probably the most important note.
    2. Emily provided an amazing tasting--lots of options and it felt like fun.
    3. Emily was very thoughtful about our design and committed to making the cake personal to our style. And it was beautiful!
    4. Not only did Emily make cake, she also made salted caramel marshmallows (the biggest hit!), chocolate chip cookies, and macarons. They were all delicious.

Sent on 05/05/2012