La Playa Carmel Reviews

11 | Carmel by the Sea, CA

11 Reviews for La Playa Carmel

Allison Elliott · Married on 11/11/2018

Lovely experience!

La Playas customer service is excellent! Every single staff member was wonderful and very personalble! A special thanks to Fallon for her wonderful planning and Brian at the bar who was just so sweet and provided excellent service! I would highly recommend La Playa for a wedding venue! Food was excellent as well.

Sent on 11/12/2018

La Playa Carmel's reply:

A & J -
    On behalf of our entire team, let me first congratulate you on your Big Day!
    Thank you both so much for your kind words - you both were such a pleasure to work with. Being able to witness your very special moments was a true joy - what a stunning and lovely family you have!
    Thank you again - and cheers to happily ever after!
    We look forward to welcoming you back to La Playa Carmel in the very near future.
    Big hugs and best wishes,
    -F
    La Playa Carmel

Erin · Married on 11/16/2013

We stayed at La Playa for our wedding and were married at the beach. The staff were all very helpful, kind, warm and professional. They were all quick to congratulate us on our wedding, sent us two bottles of free champagne with a personal note of congratulations, called us a cab and arranged deliveries of flowers, dinner reservations and helped our photographer set up for some shots in the gardens. Would definitely highly recommend staying there and marrying there. Very romantic hotel with gorgeous views and an awesome free brunch buffet too. :)

Sent on 11/21/2013

Katie · Married on 10/05/2013

La Playa is a BEAUTIFUL venue. The wedding day was perfect, and we were told by countless guests that our wedding was the best wedding they'd ever been to. The understated elegance of the property goes such a long way, and the staff goes above and beyond in a bed and breakfast type of manner, to really make guests feel welcome and important. The food was amazing, we go so many compliments on that, and everything really went perfectly. I will say, La Playa has recently been purchased and with that change in management there have definitely been some growing pains, plus some push-back from the locals. Also, the first wedding planner we worked with (Samantha) was not very responsive or easy to deal with. She ended up leaving and the replacement that they brought in from another property - Chelsea - was amazing!!! She was so easy to work with, super responsive (to countless emails with lists upon lists of questions), creative thinker, and pulled the whole thing off beautifully! The staff at La Playa knows what they are doing and they know how to throw a party, we ran out of 4 cases of my favorite chardonnoay in the first couple hours, but the staff made sure to save a bottle just for me, and my glass was always full when needed. There was also a bottle of champagne in our room upon check in, and when we went to our room for a few minutes alone (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) after the ceremony during cocktail hour, they'd put a bottle of Rombauer and a platter of the passed apps in our room for us to get some food in our stomachs before we started making the roudns. Those special touches are really important and don't go unnoticed. Our guests were also really complimentary on the breakfast, it is delicious! The place is so beautiful, you must check it out, posted pictures do not do it justice! Get married at La Playa - you will not be disappointed!!

Sent on 01/28/2014

Gayle · Married on 08/27/2011

It's hard to find the perfect word to describe my formal garden wedding at The La Playa, but exquisite might do. Richard Wood and the entire hotel staff provided us with a wedding one can only dream about. If you're looking for a garden to be married in, only the La Playa will do. The grounds are meticulously cared for and your photos will be stunning. Richard was attentive to our special ceremony requests and made us feel very welcome to this wonderful place. In fact, the entire place seemed to be ours on our wedding day.
    The Carmel Room was the perfect location for the reception. The doors are open to the grounds which makes the room seem much larger. It's also tucked away from the rest of the hotel for a feeling of privacy.
    We chose the La Playa not only for the gardens, but for the overall feel of "vintage California". For this, I hope the La Playa never changes. If you're looking for ultra modern this is not the place for you.
    Careful...most of the La Playa is not wheelchair accessible. But the staff made it possible for my father to easily make it from the gazebo to the reception with the use of ramps.
    If you're looking for that California feel, vintage architecture, formal gardens, the sound of the ocean, and a few birds and butterflies floating through your special day, the La Playa is the place for you.

Sent on 09/03/2011
  • Rosa

Rosa · Married on 10/15/2017

When my husband and I first started planning our wedding we had no idea where we were going with it. At first we thought of an elopement, then we decided we would have just a select number of family members to enjoy a nice dinner for a celebration of our marriage. Ultimately, we ended up planning a stunning destination beach wedding ceremony and couldn't just go to any restaurant afterward to celebrate. It was my husband's choice to go with La Playa Carmel for our catering and reception and I am beyond happy that we did! We were set up with Adrienne Karr as our wedding coordinator for La Playa and she was just amazing. Any questions that we had, she had the answer and very quickly as a matter of fact. We did run into a small issue where our cake was delivered there from a different vendor without the flower decorations the day before but she took care of it! She was lovely and very easy to work with. Throughout the reception she stayed and coordinated the timing of events with us. She helped us stay on track because honestly, we were having such a great time and would have lost track of time for the events. We also decided to book our honeymoon night with La Playa the day before the wedding, and she made it happen instantly for a VERY reasonable price. The location was stunning. We were taking a chance because we didn't get a walk through of the Garden Patio because we lived in different states, but when we arrived, it looked prettier than the pictures. We went with the Italian Buffet and it was simply delicious! Our bartender was very friendly and catered to our every need. I am very happy with the way our wedding reception turned out :)

Sent on 11/15/2017

Renee · Married on 10/09/2011

My husband and I had our wedding here last Sunday, October 9th, and it was the most amazing and beautiful venue imaginable! The Director of Catering, Richard Wood, is an all-star who not only made planning the wedding easy and stress free, but he put together our vision flawlessly and I couldn't have imagined anything more perfect!!! We had a Sunday Brunch-style wedding and it was amazing. The food was perfect, service impeccable...I even told Richard that I wanted a bloody mary bar with all of the fixings and he made it happen without hesitation! We were given the Executive Suite for our wedding night and let me tell you it does NOT disappoint!!! There was nothing like waking up after the wedding day to eat our breakfast on the patio with million dollar views of the ocean...aaahhh.....The only reason I rated the rooms "average" is because we had family and friends stay in the regular rooms and they are a bit small and in need of renovation, but they are still just fine! The suite and bungalows, however, are perfection!!! Long story short, if you are looking for a classy venue with stunning views and excellent views, look no further!!!!

Sent on 10/12/2011
  • Jenn

Jennifer · Married on 07/17/2010

The La Playa Hotel was the perfect setting for our July wedding! We had our ceremony at the gazebo in the beautiful gardens, and had the reception in the Poseidon room. The gardens are beautiful year-round, but I have to say it was at its best for our wedding! We didn't need flowers for ceremony decorations because of the lush beauty that was already built-in!

The catering staff and banquet captain Antonia were a dream to work with. They made sure no one was neglected during the cocktail hour and reception. They even flanked all the entrances into the garden during the ceremony so that we were in a more intimate, secluded setting with our guests. They were very professional, and everything was perfectly executed on our big day.

Richard Wood was awesome to work with! He is the catering manager, but also acted as our coordinator. He worked directly with our DJ to get the timing of the ceremony just right. He also responded to emails and voice mails in a timely fashion, which was imperative to me, since I was planning from Arizona.

I can't say enough about this venue. And the pricing was better than other venues in San Jose, even though this is in Carmel, and right by the ocean. Our guests were in awe of the surroundings and beauty, and were able to make the weekend (or longer) into a nice vacation, exploring an area that they otherwise may have never seen!

Services rendered:
    Ceremony Venue
    Reception Venue
    Catering (including Cocktail Hour and Reception)
    Bartender/drinks
    Cake

Sent on 08/03/2010

Kelley · Married on 11/07/2009

Richard, Megan, Brad, and the entire La Playa crew are amazing. I could not have asked for a more perfect location as far as organization and fluidity for my wedding day-as well as sheer beauty. I was not stressed, they had everything under control from the moment we went on the site tour to check it out. Everyone who attendened our wedding says they will recommend it too. I used their catering and their cake- absolutely amazing food and quality. I highly recommend the La Playa!

Sent on 11/23/2009

The grounds are maintained so well year round. From the moment you walk in the door you feel at home, and like you are welcoming your loved ones into your world. The staff is quick to respond, and do not cut any corners. Could not have been happier to find this venue for our destination wedding.

Sent on 12/27/2014

Matthew · Married on 06/19/2010

We were very happy with the location and specifically the help of Richard Wood, the onsite wedding coordinator. It was one of the easiest parts of the whole wedding. We liked the staff in both pre-wedding planning and the actual event. We highly recommend...if we had questions, they were very helpful in finding the answers - our band needed a special circuit and they found out if they had it (they did). I especially appreciated that the didn't "push" anything on us, they may have encouraged, but never pushed like other places. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Sent on 09/19/2010

0.6
      3.5
      0.0

I had so many issues with the La Playa Wedding Planning Staff. I was looking into the La Playa Hotel to host my reception and had called their events coordinator twice within one week and never received a response or information to set up a site tour. We finally drove down to Carmel for other site tours and decided to stop by. The event coordinator was very unprofessional and came out with a yellow note pad to scribble down our information. Every other coordinator I had met with had some official documents and quotes for us. She took us up to see the room and it was as pretty as I had remembered it. She answered a few basic questions and then told us she had to leave for another appointment, but 10 min later was walking around the garden alone. Super rude! She told me that she would send an info packet to me on Tuesday, it is now Thursday and I have heard nothing. Guess they didn't want my unlimited budget.

Sent on 10/11/2012