Katie Stoops Photography Reviews

36 | Harrisonburg, VA

36 Reviews for Katie Stoops Photography

Stephanie · Married on 06/16/2018

I don't even know where to start to express how much we love Katie. She's officially become a part of our family!

I found Katie through a google search of the top Washington,DC/Northern VA area photographers and after perusing Washingtonian Bride & Groom Magazine. After seeing her portfolio she was one of my top choices. But it was when we chatted on the phone that I knew we had found our photographer! We hit it off immediately and I really appreciated the questions she was asking as well as advice she was willing to give me, even though we hadn't signed a contract.

We booked Katie for her full-service wedding package that includes 10 hours. You can choose if all 10 hours are done on the wedding day, or a 2-hour engagement session and 8-hour wedding day. We booked the latter and are so happy with our results! Katie traveled to my husband's family farm in the Washington National Forest area of Virginia and was even able to put up with our high energy pooch!

We had so much fun with our engagement shoot, we knew the wedding day would be incredible! Because of the size of our wedding (more than 120 guests) Katie provided a second photographer and I am SO happy we did! What is truly amazing, is I cannot tell the difference between which photos Katie took and which ones Bonnie took. The consistency is perfect!

Katie and Bonnie also captured everything we wanted on our big day between the "must-haves" family photos to the candids on the dance floor. Everyone that has seen the photos agree, they truly captured the happiness and joy in everyone that day. I can't thank Katie enough and she will forever be a member of our family! So much so my in-laws have already used her for portraits!

Sent on 09/27/2018

John · Married on 11/04/2017

Katie shot my daughter's wedding in Asheville, NC in November, 2017. Finally we are getting around to ordering our album. I just want to say that this company does things right. We have wonderful images of each of the myriad events she documented for us. I have vague memories of there being photographers at the wedding, but the shots they took make my memories of those events come to life. Thanks, Katie, (and crew), for your wonderful work. Can't wait for the book!

Sent on 06/20/2018

Katie (and Naz) are amazing. They made our engagement shoot and our wedding photography a breeze. Both are so so talented.

Sent on 06/15/2016

Kristen · Married on 06/20/2015

Katie is without a doubt one of the most talented wedding photographers in the country (just google her!). But, when you meet her, she is so humble and sweet you feel as though yours is the only wedding she is shooting for the whole year! My husband and I had to make last minute, day of changes to our wedding schedule based on the weather forecast and Katie jumped right in and hustled all day and night to make sure we had every last pose and detail captured despite the weather. I would absolutely recommend Katie to capture any couple;s most important day and they would be lucky to have her. I would love to work with her again someday!

Sent on 06/27/2015

Heather · Married on 09/28/2013

Photography truly is the most cherished part of documenting your wedding day and my one recommendation is not to compromise on it. I researched 10 different photography vendors and Katie was admittedly the most expensive but no one else really can compare to the quality of her work. Her photos are beyond gorgeous and her her unique perspectives really remind you why photography is an art. She is responsive via email (usually within 1-2 days), she makes sure to capture all those little details you worked so hard to incorporate but didn't have a chance to even think about the day-of and she will even help you execute unique requests you want to include (such as setting up an impromptu photobooth!) She captures the photos you let her know you want taken but also manages to get the ones you didn't know you wanted, the ones you end up framing because you can't get over how amazing they are. If you're looking for a standard photographer offering nothing but posed/staged photos on a budget, maybe Katie isn't for you but if you're looking for something that resembles a spread pulled from one of the wedding magazines you've been pining over the past year of planning, hands down Katie is perfect.

I will note that we got married right in the middle of fall wedding season and as a result, it took some time to receive our photos (2.5 months...) but I promise, they were worth the wait!

Sent on 12/17/2013

Maggie · Married on 09/01/2013

My husband and I chose Katie to be our photographer after meeting her at two family friends' weddings and seeing the amazing photos from both (and after seeing how much the couples she worked with loved her). We did our due diligence and had looked at some other options, but nothing compared. She is wildly talented and has an incredible eye. The photos she took from our engagement session are phenomenal, and she showed us a few from the wedding, and we were equally impressed. We are so excited to see the rest of them. Beyond that, Katie is so fun and nice and just great to be around. We felt completely comfortable around her - which is important since you end up spending a lot of quality time with the photographer. All in all, Katie is the best. We would highly recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 09/12/2013

Kate · Married on 09/02/2012

We were told the most important vendor to choose after your venue was your photographer, because the good ones book up early. Katie Stoops was the first on our list to call. We knew by looking at her online portfolio that she was extremely talented and we liked the fact that she used both digital and film, but it was icing on the cake when she came to meet us at our apartment (about a two hour drive away from her home) and greeted us with Georgetown cupcakes. Not only were the cupcakes delicious, but Katie's personality was wonderful and she got us even more excited about our wedding. Needless to say, after that visit, my husband and I both knew for sure that she was the photographer who we wanted to work with. Whenever we had questions or concerns, she was quick to get back to us, which was very comforting to two stressed people planning a wedding! The day of the wedding, she and her assistant showed up hours earlier just to scope the place out (even though she had photographed our venue before). She was professional and there to ease our worries, without being in the way at all. She captured us and our garden venue just how we had envisioned, natural and not too posed or orchestrated. We received our photos a couple months after our wedding date in the cutest little packaging. They are terrific, and we haven't stopped getting compliments. We loved Katie, would recommend her highly, and hope to use her again in the future for other special moments.

Sent on 11/20/2012

Katie was the photographer for our wedding recently. She is extremely friendly, professional, and her photos are fantastic. We haven't seen our finished product yet, but if her prior work is any indication, we will be thrilled.

Sent on 08/24/2012

Emily · Married on 05/27/2012

Katie Stoops is awesome! She has such a unique and artistic eye for photography, with an admirable comprehension of light and composition (check out her website and you will see exactly what I mean!). She and Erin were professional, and yet both incredibly relaxed and personable and made us feel so comfortable in front of the camera. Katie showed us a few photos as she was taking them and they looked AMAZING... I love her and I can't wait to see more of our photos! :)

Sent on 06/01/2012

Sophia · Married on 05/26/2012

Katie Stoops did a wonderful job at our wedding! Our photos are beautiful and we couldn't be happier with them. She captured all of the details, personal touches and moments that we wanted. She was professional and not at all intrusive. We found Katie to be responsive and helpful as we planned our wedding from out of state. We highly recommend Katie Stoops Photography!

Sent on 07/12/2012

Christina · Married on 05/12/2012

Katie was professional and awesome! She captured the wedding festivities so perfectly and I was beyond happy with the photos. After seeing her blog I knew I wanted her to photograph our wedding, so we picked our wedding date based on her availability. You can't go wrong! :)

Sent on 07/08/2012

Carrie · Married on 04/28/2012

Katie Stoops was the most important part of planning our wedding - I have ALWAYS been a fan of wedding photography, and had been a fan of Katie's for a while now. Making sure she could be part of our special day was a TOP priority. She was friendly, professional and made us feel so comfortable on a day that could have easily been stressed to the max. The finished photos were exactly what I wanted and will be cherished in our family forever. She is a true artist and I am honored to have her work displayed in our home. Cannot thank her or recommend her more...

Sent on 07/09/2012

Meghan · Married on 08/06/2011

I'm not sure what I can say about Katie and her work that hasnt already been said in these wonderful reviews. From the start Katie responds within minutes to any email- i think the longest she took was 2 hours and it was only because she was traveling- i dont even get responses from my friends and family that quickly! She is so patient and truly is there solely to please the bride (and groom). With my massive family, and our wedding party of 10 attendants each, it should have been every photographers worst nightmare but Katie was so amazing with everyone (even when everyone was voicing their opinions) and constantly made sure that I got every shot that I wanted. I can honestly say that Katie, my MOH and my coordinator were the ones who made their goal that day solely about making me happy.
    I have several newlywed friends who have recommended Katie to their friends over their own photographer! The pictures she produces speak for themselves and more than anything from the wedding, I am complimented on our pictures. I had a bridesmaid who was married 2 months before I was, and I got our wedding pictures back before she did. It is unheard of to have a turn around time as quickly as Katie, and I still got my pictures back in 5 weeks. She is worth every penny and more!

Sent on 12/20/2011

Kristen · Married on 07/09/2011

I knew pretty early on that I wanted to hire Katie for my wedding. Having looked at tons of wedding blogs and wedding photography blogs, Katie's style and personality really fit me and my husband. Our engagement session with her was super fun and it made it so much easier when she arrived on the wedding day. When Katie showed up, it was like my friend was there to take pictures of us and hang out. She was so much fun to work with and I can't wait to see all of our pictures and make our album!

Sent on 07/25/2011

Mia · Married on 06/18/2011

I cannot say enough good things about Katie. Not only was she adorable, sweet and so easy to work with she completely exceeded every expectation we had for our wedding pictures. The style is irreverent and fun and the pictures really do the whole day justice. I could not be happier about choosing katie. If you don't choose her as your wedding photographer, you are missing out!

Sent on 07/27/2011

Heather · Married on 06/04/2011

Katie Stoops is an amazing photographer and incredibly talented. Her work at our wedding was STUNNING in every way. One of the very best decisions we made for our wedding was hiring her as the photographer. No matter her rates, which I thought were very reasonable, she is 100% worth it in every way and is sure to be one of the most sought-after photographers in the business. Not only is she incredibly artistic, but she was also prompt in editing and sending the pictures after the wedding (a rarity, considering my friends' post-wedding experiences). I cannot say enough good things and recommend her unequivocally. If you are lucky enough for her to be avaliable on your date, BOOK HER immediately.

Sent on 08/04/2011

Amanda · Married on 09/09/2010

I couldn't say enough great things about Katie Stoops. She's professional, patient, oh and yea, she does amazing work!! I fell in love with Katie Stoops Photography the moment I visited her website. Everything she does is so unique, classy, and beautiful. She truly knows how to capture the natural beauty and moments that are surrounding her.

Even though we weren't local she was more than happy to shoot our wedding and after speaking with her, no place is too far for her to travel. She loves her job and it shows in the wonderment of her work. Thank you again and again to Katie Stoops Photography for giving us a chance to utilize your gifted talent to help capture one of the most prized moments of our lives!

Sent on 10/20/2010

Christina · Married on 08/15/2010

I knew Katie Stoops was the one when I cried looking at every photo on her website. We actually planned our wedding date around her schedule and I'm so glad we did. Thank you, Katie, for capturing the most beautiful moments of our day.

Sent on 10/21/2010

Annik · Married on 07/10/2010

I have absolutely nothing but really great things to say about Katie's work. My husband and I both absolutely loved her as a photographer and were incredibly happy with our pictures. She went above and beyond what we would have expected in so many ways. For example, she met us a few months before our wedding at our venue when we were in the area and did some trial shots on her time for no additional charge, she was very creative through the entire bridal party/bride groom shots (which can get a little tedious from others I've seen) and she kept us laughing and in good spirits throughout the entire day. If I were going to do it all over again, I would 100% choose her as our photographer. I can't begin to tell you how many compliments I've gotten on our pictures, including a majority saying that they were the best they've ever seen.

Sent on 10/22/2010

Alena · Married on 06/05/2010

Katie is absolutely amazing as a photography and as a person. She is so sweet, kind-hearted and personable. We had an absolute blast working with her on our engagement and wedding pictures. You could not ask for a better photographer. I really cannot say enough good things about her. For couples looking for a photographer, HIRE HER immediately. It will be one of the best decisions you can make for your wedding day.

For our engagement session, she made us feel totally at ease and comfortable. She even helped me pick out my outfits based on what would really "pop" in pictures. Our engagement images are STUNNING. The way she views couples and their surroundings is so artistic and beautiful. We received so many compliments on our engagement pics and were told they looked like something from a magazine.

On our wedding day...we chatted while I was getting ready and then she helped set up our 1st look before the wedding. She had my husband standing on the end of the dock while I waited behind him for him to turn around. The pictures she captured of our 1st look are truly gorgeous. Her pictures truly captured the special feelings when we saw each other for the first time. My husband and I both teared up looking through our pictures. Everything about them is fantastic. We loved that she did our photos in a mix of color, a sort of sepia tone and black and white. We will cherish the pictures she took for the rest of our lives.

Sent on 10/19/2010

Natalie · Married on 05/15/2010

Katie was amazing. She takes wonderful photographs that are creative and classic, and are so much better than many photograph samples we looked at when choosing a photographer. Also, her price was very reasonable for the value and exemplary job she does. She was also very flexible with us, traveled out of her way without any additional cost and was easy to work with. We added one of her assistants to our package for the day which was well worth it and I can attest to the fact that we have a large group of wonderful photos to commemorate our day. We are so happy with them and would recommend Katie to anyone!

Sent on 10/20/2010

Jessica · Married on 04/29/2010

OMG, Katie is so awesome! She gives 110%. The pictures she takes are breathtaking and she knows how to catch all of the little details that you tend to overlook on your big day.

Sent on 05/27/2010

Melia · Married on 10/17/2009

I am so thrilled that we chose Katie Stoops of Open Air Photography for our engagement and wedding pictures. I found Katie online and immediately fell in love with her pictures. From the first time I met Katie I knew that she would be a perfect match for us. She is organized, responsible, reliable, creative, funny, and so very talented!!

When we met Katie at a coffee shop on the day of our engagement pictures, she had already been out walking around the downtown area looking for inspiration for our pictures. When we arrived she was prepared and ready to take us to our first location. Her taste is impeccable and she has a great eye for color and architecture and everything else that goes into taking beautiful pictures. She is fun and made us so comfortable. She really captured the fun we had that day. She even brought cute little props for us to play around with for some of the pictures. Some of my very favorite pictures from our engagement session were the ones with the colorful confetti that she brought with her.

Katie was absolutely wonderful the day of the wedding! She got great pictures of everyone getting ready and THE BEST pictures of us seeing each other for the first time, before the ceremony. I was a little bit nervous having a photographer around the whole day of the wedding but Katie was fun to have around and it didn?t even feel like pictures were being taken. She captured some great pictures of our guests before the ceremony started. All of our ?must have? pictures were captured. Katie did a fantastic job of photographing the party portion of our reception! She got great pictures of everyone dancing, laughing, and having a great time. Katie did a great job of getting pictures of people interacting at the reception- I especially love this because it really shows people?s personalities and takes me right back to those moments of our reception.
    We received both our engagement and wedding pictures very quickly. I have had girlfriends who used other photographers for their weddings and they were left waiting for months! I was very impressed with how fast Katie had the pictures to us.

Katie?s work is absolutely gorgeous. You can?t go wrong with choosing her for your special day. We are bummed that the wedding festivities are over because we won?t get to work with Katie anymore!! I recommend Katie 100%!!!

Sent on 11/19/2009

Claire · Married on 09/26/2009

I am so happy to have found Katie to be my wedding photographer. I adore her and her work and have recommended her to many people already. There is something really special about Katie. She became my rock during my whole wedding process. I, like many people don't really like getting my picture taken but ended up doing an e-session, bridal session and my wedding with Katie. I swear each picture was better than the next! We became great friends during the process and I am constantly amazed by her talent. She was awesome to work with, she exceeded my expectations and I could not have asked for a better experience. She is professional, timely, well priced and beyond talented. She captured such amazing moments during my wedding but was never in the way or made me or my husband uncomfortable. I am grateful to have worked with her and to have her as a friend now. My family loves her so much that she ended up shooting my brother's wedding the following year. I adore all my pictures and am so happy to have had Katie part of my whole wedding process. All the best to Katie and all the future Brides who work with her.

Sent on 10/18/2010

Jennifer · Married on 08/08/2009

This photographer shot my sister's wedding a year ago and we were so impressed with her abilities that we immediately booked her for our wedding. She is EVERYTHING we wanted in a photographer. She has an eye for capturing the moment; she selects pictures that communicate to the viewer the relationship between people she's photographing; the viewer can feel the emotion in her photographs; and the photographer seems to always find the irony in the scene. She's the most artistic wedding photographer I've ever seen and is so much more than the "old wedding photographer" that takes boring stand-up shots of the ENTIRE family. What is also a bonus is her warm personality; several of our guests thought her personality was absolutely adorable and she fit right into the wedding like she was a member of the family. The wedding industry should feel privileged that someone with such talent would be passionate about capturing the most important day in any person's life. She's way ahead of her peers.

Sent on 08/24/2009