Julie Jakolat, DJ Reviews

73 | Reno, NV

73 Reviews for Julie Jakolat, DJ

Karen · Married on 10/01/2016

My wife and I are so grateful to Julie Jakolat for the incredible DJ services she provided.

Julie gave us personalized attention from the first phone call (three months ago) to today (2 weeks after the wedding). She spent time getting to know us and our musical tastes, which I think helped her understand the vibe we wanted for our wedding.

On the day of the event, Julie mingled with our guests and asked them for requests. Only when the dance party started did I understand the genius of this approach. Our guests got so engaged and excited when their requests came on, and it kept the playlist fresh and surprising for us (though I should add that Julie gave us veto power to remove requests we didn’t like). She kept our dance party going full force for four hours straight.

Additionally, Julie helped us on the day of our wedding in ways that went above and beyond her duties as a DJ, which was essential for things running smoothly. She was our right-hand person throughout the evening.

Over the next few days, we heard repeatedly from our guests how amazing the DJ was, and that they were sore from non-stop dancing. One guest said that she didn’t want to use the restroom because she was afraid she would miss a good song. The dance party was the most important aspect of the wedding for us, and Julie realized our greatest hopes, and then some.

Sent on 10/10/2016

Sarah · Married on 09/24/2016

Put simply, DJ Julie is amazing! Picking a DJ to entertain your guests was a daunting task for us. As band and choir geeks, music is a very important part of our lives. We met Julie on a rainy evening for a “get to know each other” session. Within the first minutes the two of us knew that we had found the perfect person. From that first meeting, Julie stayed in touch with us and checked-in to make sure the stress of planning wasn’t causing us too much worry. She worked with us and all our musical quirks. We were at a venue she had not played previously so she came out a week before the wedding to get a visual of the layout and to check out the acoustics of the place (metal sided barn). On the day of the wedding, she milled with our guests during cocktail hour and took notes and song requests. It got our guests involved and also made them feel more at home with her. I can’t tell you how many times I heard a guest exclaim, “I love this song!” during cocktails. At dinner we had everything from old time jazz to country to a bluegrass version of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.” When dancing got started, everyone was up. I actually saw people trying to eat dessert and dance at the same time because they didn’t want to leave the floor. Some DJ’s come in with gadgetry and lights and consoles and massive speakers that can blow you out of a room. Her setup was simple and tasteful. The speakers were balanced perfectly, the audio was clean and crisp and you could feel the drum beats and bass rhythms without getting shaken out of your seat. Our guests went home happy and tired from all the dancing we did and we’re still hearing the praises of what a tremendous job Julie did. Perhaps one of the nicest things Julie does, is send you the playlist of the evening so you can recreate the soundtrack of your day. In our opinion, there is no better choice than Julie to spin the tunes for your reception. Thank you Julie for helping to make our day amazing!

~Sarah and Daniel

Sent on 11/13/2016

L · Married on 09/17/2016

Booking DJ Julie was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding! My husband and I had strong opinions about the music we wanted for our wedding reception (I'm a professional music writer), and DJ Julie perfectly managed our ridiculously long playlists, obsessive spreadsheets, and silly guest requests on the day of. The dance floor was always poppin', and the music definitely made it feel like OUR wedding, and no one else's. Our guests LOVED her; in fact, they invited her to our after party, and several of them have already tried to book her for their own weddings! My best advice? Book her early & often!

Sent on 12/13/2016

Jackie · Married on 08/20/2016

Julie is the BEST! My Husband and I really wanted to get away from the typical "Westchester" County DJ, and by that we mean someone who would tell you to get up and dance, come with cheap blaring colored strobe lights and play songs like the macarena ! Now if this is your thing, that is cool and I am sure Julie can accommodate, but if your sensibilities are more music savvy and you have loved music your whole life then Julie is the person for you! Julie is not your typical DJ, she is an analytical thinker who genuinely understands peoples personalities and caters music to your day. She speaks to your guests to get a feel and an understanding for their tastes and then goes over it with you. She creates a list for you, or you create one for her (which is what we did because we are obsessed with music) and then she fine tunes it to go along with each event of the day/night. This kept every generation of person in our space feeling happy and in the mood to party and continue the night! It means so much to us to have had our DJ be so reliable and we recommend Julie to anyone looking for someone who is truly authentic in their craft. Julie J the DJ, it Rhymes so what is better than that!

Sent on 08/29/2016

My husband and I met Julie while checking out a possible venue site for our May 2016 wedding. Although we chose not to go with the venue, we loved our conversation with Julie as she completed her final set-up for an upcoming wedding on site. From that first conversation we knew Julie was enthusiastic, flexible, easy going, professional, and personable...just the type of person we were looking for in a DJ. We were not looking for any over the top lighting features, photo booths, or other craziness...just not us. Julie's set up is simple and streamlined.

As other's have said she works with you from day 1. She sent us suggestions as needed and accommodated our needs as desired. She even thought about us as she met a country singer on a plane trip!

We had so many compliments from our guests the day of and I'm sure will continue to have them in the future. Guests felt that Julie did a good job accommodating their needs and keeping the party going without being too intrusive as some seem to be! From what I've heard several guests asked for Julie's card including one of the catering staff!

Julie is SO in LOVE with her work! She spent some time dancing behind her table during the wedding. Some of the caterer's staff joined her in busting out some moves! To top it all off Julie went above and beyond and played a few extra requests after the guests had left just to please my bridesmaids who were enjoying themselves a bit too much! Julie even joined us in some moves on the dance floor at the end of the evening.

Thanks again Julie! We would hire you again in a heartbeat!!!!!

Tiffany and Matthew

Sent on 05/31/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 05/28/2016

When my fiancee and I were planning our wedding, the decision to look for a DJ was kind of a sore subject. We were resigned to the idea that most DJ's were cheesy and played bad overplayed music as a default and never thought we would find someone who knew what to do with our musical tastes. Out of frustration I entered "Indie Alternative Non Cheesy Hudson Valley DJ" into Google, kind of as a joke on myself, and up popped the Wedding Wire profile for A Different Spin.
    At our first meeting with Julie, we spent about 3 hours just talking about music. We had obviously clicked!

Hiring Julie was probably the best wedding planning decision e made. She was amazing! So many of our guests told us how great the music was. She built the perfect playlist based on all of our conversations and emails and she did such an amazing job at working on the fly as well... Throwing in songs from the movies we used as table markers and adding in songs to get EVERYONE dancing that still didn't sound out of place with the general flow of the music.
    Julie has the most encyclopedic knowledge of music and I am confident in her ability to make a unique personal playlist for any party no matter what type of music the client was in to. I seriously do not have any negative feedback to give. Julie was everything we had hoped for in a DJ and more!

Sent on 07/16/2016

Alyson · Married on 05/14/2016

Julie was fantastic! She is an amazing DJ who clearly loves what she does. She is energetic, fun, and flexible (we had a time crunch).

She played to the entire crowd and spent time with the guests to get a feel for the group. Everyone had a blast! All of our guests were commenting on the great music and she got everyone dancing!

Julie was really great and we would recommend her for any event!

Sent on 06/01/2016

Jamie · Married on 12/27/2015

We definitely picked the right DJ! Julie had less than two months to plan for our wedding as we started planning late ourselves. Despite this, people at the wedding thought that she was a friend of ours that we had known for years. She really made the wedding all about us and she took the time to get to know us and our taste in music and what we had in mind for the mood of the wedding.
    She asked us for a list of do’s and dont's for the music and went from there to develop the perfect music set for the night. Communication with Julie was always fast, easy, and positive.
    Julie’s equipment was perfect for two rooms (cocktail and reception). The music was at the perfect volume for a party, but not so loud as to drown out all conversations. She welcomed guests’ requests, but ran them by us before playing especially if she got the impression that the request wouldn’t go over well with us. I swear, I think she has ESP!
    This woman knows her music!! Seriously! I was so impressed with the variety of genres and artists she knows. My husband and I were so nervous about picking a DJ because we thought we would never find someone who would understand what we wanted (we both despise top 40 charts). Julie was the answer!!
    We loved her! Our parents loved her! Our guests loved her! Even our maitre d' and wedding coordinator thought she was great!
    Without her, this would have been a very different night. I’ll never forget how awesome she was!! Thank you, Julie!!

Sent on 01/22/2016

Jonathan · Married on 12/05/2015

What can I say about Julie that hasn't been said by others about Julie? As everyone else on Wedding Wire says, she's extraordinary and we've all been thrilled at how the evening turns out.

Julie has a number of qualities that sets her apart for us:

1) Her knowledge of music is bar none one of the best I've encountered... She's stumped us on many occasions, and on the few occasions where we've stumped her, she's always enthusiastically incorporated those requests and suggestions. As she was able to put a number of songs that made people lift their heads up like they heard a pleasant surprise, she even emailed us a playlist after the wedding.

2) She turned into an incredible resource on weddings in general. She has a great command of timelines and venues and you can really trust her opinions and advice on giving the best experience possible! In fact, she even helped us pick the venue! In a roundabout way but there we were.

3) Her enthusiasm and good nature is infectious. She takes the time to speak to the guests during cocktail hour to see what type of music they want to hear. To this day, we still have guests asking who the dee jay is. It frankly amazes me how she can take suggestions and bring them to her DJ set so seamlessly. Almost like a deft improv player.

4) Great sense of humor... she helped me "rickroll" the wedding. Nuff said

5) Her ability to take interview sessions with us, suggestions from the wedding party, and (most importantly) her own instincts as an artist (DJ's are definitely artists) and curate a playlist that kept people dancing more than I could have imagined. We have amazing photos of everyone getting down... especially my 4 year old nephew who kicked it to at least 2 of Julies songs. Honeslty, I could make a review purely from before and after photos of people before the music and during...

Julie Jakolat is a wonderful person to work with. Amie and I highly recommend her and agree that you'd be stupid to look further.

Sent on 01/20/2016

Melissa · Married on 11/08/2015

Julie was amazing. She really GOT us. Our amazing photographers, upon hearing about our day, realized Julie would be the perfect fit. And she was just that. Julie didn't miss a beat. She consulted with us for months before the wedding and had the patience and understanding to know when to encourage my quirky ideas and when to reign me in. She shared songs with us, even helping us find the perfect version of our first dance song to make it truly OURS. She made sure that the processional was dialed in for us, helping us to get the right songs at the right time, During cocktail hour, she had already made a mix of songs so that she could mingle with the crowd to take their temperature. I couldn't believe how WELL she knew us by the time the reception rolled around. There were so many moments when I would just laugh in sheer delight at the moments that she orchestrated. I am sad that it's over because it was SUCH a delight to collaborate with Julie. I can't say enough good things about her. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sent on 11/14/2015

Tim · Married on 10/31/2015

Julie is amazing. My wife and I cannot recommend her highly enough. Since our wedding, our guests--young and old--keep saying to us: "That DJ was amazing!"

Julie is extremely knowledgeable about music and how to make the party flow smoothly: how to get people dancing, how to transition to dinner, and how to get people back on the dance floor.

Julie expertly led us through the music planning process. She offered sage advice and took our direction. More than giving Julie a "Play/Do Not Play" list, we (by choice) explained our vision and depended on Julie to translate our vision into music. What we crudely sketched out, Julie painted into a masterpiece.

A few other great things:
    1. Julie circulated during the cocktail hour asking our guests for requests. Guests loved this and have commented on it repeatedly. Julie edited the requests accordingly.
    2. Julie was responsive to who was on the dance floor (older guests, guests in their 20s and 30s, guests under 20) and played the music they wanted to hear and dance to. And was able to bridge the gap between the ages.
    3. Julie edited our ideas (which we asked her to do). She saved us from ourselves. She made us look good.
    4. Julie looked excited to be at the reception, sometimes dancing behind her setup. Guests saw this and it made them more excited to be there, more willing to dance. This may seem like a small thing, but it was hugely important in creating the atmosphere.
    5. We had an untraditional wedding: a costume party on Halloween. During dinner, Julie played a set of songs that corresponded to our guests' costumes (Sgt. Pepper's for the Beatles, Theme from Rocky for Rocky and Adrian, Gilligan's Island for the Gilligan's Island crew). This lead to one of my favorite parts: people spontaneously dancing to their song, and the crowd alternatively cheering them or joining in. Julie made that random, wonderful part of our wedding happen.

Sent on 11/04/2015

My wife and I hired Julie Jakolat to DJ our wedding, and we could not possibly be happier with our decision. She is an extraordinary lady with a vast range of musical tastes and knowledge, an eager commitment to her professional responsibilities, and a fun, outsized personality more than capable of keeping the party poppin'.

And trust me, we asked a lot of her. Our wedding featured several complicated moving parts and a meticulously curated playlist, yet Julie met every demand. She was with us through each step of the process with attentive phone calls, emails and site visits, up to and including our rehearsal. Not only did Julie spin tracks for the reception, she was able to run multiple mics and cue up specially selected songs during our ceremony. She never missed a beat.

More than even that, I appreciated the cheerful and enthusiastic regard Julie exuded from Day One. Wedding vendors will give you the white-glove treatment for only so long before it becomes obvious that they're just waiting for the check to clear. Not so with Julie. Never once were we a chore or just another client; rather, she unwaveringly treated us and our wedding as special and prioritized (as a wedding should feel!).

When seeking a DJ, my wife and I knew we didn't just want some dude in a silk vest spinning "YMCA." We chose Julie because her reviews and profile indicated an exceptionally awesome person, someone uniquely engaged in what she does and with whom she works. In turn, Julie kept my wife and me feeling that we were exceptional and awesome people. We were members in high standing in the Julie Jakolat Club. It's great to have that esteem, especially in those last frantic days before you walk down the aisle.

Simply put, Julie is the bee's knees. Particularly if you're the kind of oddball who says "bee's knees" with only a dab of irony. I wholeheartedly recommend her to anyone in need of a fun, highly personal touch to their big day.

Sent on 11/30/2015

We are so glad we chose Julie to DJ our wedding! The time she took to understand our ideas and preferences was well spent and led to a reception that felt deeply personal and exciting. Our guests loved that she came around to the tables and asked for suggestions. She was so fun and friendly that many guests assumed that she was a friend of ours! She was also very quick on her feet when some details changed last minute. She was a pleasure to work with.

- Lauren & Michael

Sent on 01/29/2016

Casey · Married on 07/18/2015

Hire Julie!! Every interaction with her was a pleasure. She put us at ease from the very beginning. My husband is a musician and we both love to dance, so choosing the right DJ was an important part of our planning process. We spoke with 2 other DJs before our call with Julie, but she immediately put us at ease in a way the others hadn't.

We made a list of about 40-50 songs or artists we liked and Julie took it from there -- she seemed to know exactly the type of music we wanted and the vibe we were trying to create. Julie made the rounds at the cocktail hour and asked friends and family for song requests. I wasn't sure how this would pan out but the guests absolutely loved it. It made them feel like they were a special part of the reception.

We are STILL receiving compliments from friends and family about Julie -- young people, old people, our friends who never dance, our friends who always dance, EVERYONE thought she was fantastic. She's not only a great DJ, she's a lot of fun to be around and has a super positive upbeat energy--exactly the type of person you want around you on your wedding day.

Sent on 03/02/2016

Jessica · Married on 06/28/2015

Honestly, I wish I had another event coming up just so I could work with Julie again! She was nothing less than fantastic and made everything regarding planning as simple and stress-free as possible. Julie is classy, intelligent and has a great sense of humor - her personality and musical talent fit in perfectly at our wedding and we could not have been happier! Look no further - Julie is your DJ!!

Sent on 07/22/2015

We had an amazing experience with Julie as the DJ at our wedding! She was very helpful in planning our music selection, timing of events and general flow of the whole event. She also brought up lots of pointers that we would never have thought of on our own! Everyone had a wonderful time dancing at our wedding and nobody wanted to stop when it was time to leave. Thank you so much, Julie, for the most wonderful night!

Sent on 06/03/2015

Jenny · Married on 05/23/2015

I cannot possibly put into words how incredible Julie was!!!! We had our wedding at the Roxbury Barn two days ago, and our guests have not stopped talking about how amazing our DJ was. Julie was in touch with us months before the wedding to ask for song preferences and dislikes, and really tried to get to know us and our tastes. She didn't try to push anything just because it "should" be played, but tried to keep in mind what would make everyone happy--young and old. At the wedding, while she played beautiful music during the cocktail hour, Julie spoke to our family and friends to take requests for later and get a sense of musical tastes. She checked in with us throughout the night to make sure we were happy, and the dance party was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! Everyone was thrilled with the musical selection, and Julie did such a good job of reading the room and playing the right songs for the moment. Our day would not have been nearly as amazing and magical without Julie--she was a huge part of the success of our wedding. She also helped with things like telling each table when to go up to the buffet and keeping toasts organized. My dad organized a surprise sing-along to All You Need Is Love, and Julie was so helpful in orchestrating it!!! Overall, a true dream DJ. If you want an amazing party, Julie will give it to you.

Sent on 05/25/2015

Katy · Married on 01/03/2015

Julie flawlessly combined pop, punk, folk, oldies, hardcore, instrumental, and the Walking Dead theme to keep everyone crying during the ceremony, us (the couple) happy, and our guests dancing. From the very beginning, Julie was intensely focused on making sure we were happy and aware her process, and even helped us modify a song to use as our first dance. She was up for any challenge we threw at her (there were a few), and was a blast. Our guests went out of the way to say how great she was, how they'd never seen a DJ enjoy their work so much.

She's fun, inventive, flexible and above all professional. Everything was executed so well and with so much enthusiasm!

Sent on 01/08/2015

Hillary · Married on 10/12/2014

If there is anyone that is truly deserving of a 5 star rating, it's DJ Julie. She really made our wedding a fantastic, enjoyable, and stress-free experience. Using her professional background Julie was able to make suggestions for moments that my husband and I couldn't figure out, but at the end of the day she allowed us to make every decision for ourselves. She was very accommodating throughout every aspect of the planning and day-of activities, and I still receive RAVE compliments from our guests about how fantastic Julie was. It was great to have the best DJ at our wedding, but it was even better that she became our friend.

Sent on 12/01/2014

Julie was a HUGE part of what made our wedding a success. She met with us over Skype and in person to help craft the "feel" of our wedding, sifted patiently through our huge list of "Love to Haves" and "Nice to Haves," and even sent us a folder with dozens of versions of Hava Nagila. Julie was extremely professional and fun throughout our planning process, and working with her felt so personalized. She had a great presence at the event, and a good understanding of a DJ's role (it was really important to us not to have a cheesy, booming "DJ voice", and Julie totally understood).

The day of the wedding, Julie arrived early and met with the venue coordinator to make sure everything got set up properly. We didn't have to worry about a thing. From the first dance through the (changed at the last second) last song of the night, the dance floor was packed with our friends, family, and my husband's 95 year-old great aunt! So many of our friends have told us what a blast they had at our reception, and Julie was a big part of it. We can't recommend her enough!

Sent on 10/07/2014

Emily · Married on 09/20/2014

Julie was AMAZING. We got so many compliments from friends and family about our DJ.
    She has great taste in music. When we first talked to her, we mentioned a couple bands, and she immediately starting suggesting others in the same vein. That made the process so much easier. We had a lot of vague requests like "something rolling stones, for the grooms dad" and she picked all the right songs for those.
    She talks to all your guests during the cocktail hour and gets recommendations. Before she even started playing, one of my friends came up and said "I love your DJ" just based on their interaction.
    But MOST IMPORTANTLY, EVERYONE WAS DANCING. Old people and young.
    Also, more than one impromptu singalong with songs she played during the cocktail hour.
    Thank you Julie!!! It was a really important part of the wedding to me and my husband, and you nailed it.

Sent on 10/07/2014

Aubrey · Married on 08/31/2014

Julie is THE BEST, and I do not say that lightly; music was one of the most important things to us in planning our wedding, and Julie killed it. In our first meeting with her, she came to a coffee shop near our apartment and met with us for two hours, talking about our music taste and getting to know us. As we were planning our wedding, Julie was very responsive, professional, and even provided calming words of wisdom a few times when we were stressed out in planning. On the wedding day, she went around during our cocktail hour to ask guests what they wanted to hear, and the music was AMAZING - Julie knocked it out of the ballpark at every turn. We were anxious about being able to hear music we liked AND our parents, etc. would like, but somehow Julie satisfied everyone. We joke about how we would be dancing for a long time and think "okay, now it's time to take a break" but then Julie would drop another amazing song out of nowhere and we'd just keep dancing. She kept the energy high the whole time. Five months later, when we're talking to friends/family about our wedding, they almost always start with "YOUR DJ WAS AWESOME" and we say "WE KNOW!" Also, she is just a great person all-around. Thanks for everything, Julie!

Sent on 01/19/2015

Jason · Married on 08/24/2014

We are so thrilled that we went with Julie to DJ our wedding. Initially we were both against the idea of a DJ - we've both experienced some that were very 'in-your-face' during weddings. You know - sparkly vests, slicked-back hair, flashing lights. After realizing the logistical nightmare of handling our own music, we did some research and found Julie's website. After sitting with her in person, we were both confident that she was a perfect match for us. Truth be told - I think she can be a perfect match for a lot of people - she knows how to make herself fit in with exactly what you want.

Throughout the planning process Julie was prompt with responses. She edited some lyrics out of a song we wanted to use for our ceremony, and always came back with great questions to help guide us through the process. One song we wanted to play during our reception could not be found, so Julie took the time to record it off of a DVD so she could play it for us.

During the reception, we had several guests ask us if she was a friend of ours because she was having so much fun, and so many of our guests were having fun with her. She took their requests, all the while being respectful of our wishes for the day. We also wanted a friend to emcee the reception, and Julie had no problem handing over the mic and staying in the background.

We obviously highly recommend Julie for your event, we are truly happy she was with us on our big day.

Sent on 08/26/2014
  • Tara

Tara · Married on 05/03/2014

From the moment we met Julie, there was no doubt in who we wanted to DJ our wedding.
    Our guests loved the music and her enthusiasm the entire 5 hours she played music. She did a fantastic job paying music that were in line with our tastes and played every single song on our "must play" list. Our guests loved being asked for requests during the cocktail hour so they felt involved in what was played later. She even selected one song that I was so convinced my sister would have requested that I ran and got her when her "request" was played. She was flexible and easy to communicate with in planning and selecting music and clearly wanted us to enjoy our day. Afterwards, she provided us the a list of all music that was played and our cocktail hour music. Thanks Julie!

Sent on 05/22/2014

Liora · Married on 10/26/2013

If we could give Julie 12 out of 5 stars, we ABSOLUTELY would (we even thought about making fake accounts to do just that! don't worry, we didn't though).

In the beginning of our planning we thought about not hiring a DJ and having an ipod playlist...but we are both SO glad we forgot that thought! Julie really goes above and beyond for her clients in making sure that not only does the event have the feel that you want it to have (even if you are not audiophiles, such as me and my fiance) and REALLY does her homework to cater to tastes, personalities.

She is attentive and thoughtful - checking in throughout the day about requests that she is unsure about, uses the microphone tastefully, and is always there when you need her. She even paid special attention to our unique venue to make sure that music would be perfectly distributed without drowning out conversations but still inviting to the dance floor! Our dance floor was rocking, conversations were flowing, and we were both SUPREMELY delighted by her amazing work. I would have 10 more parties just to have her DJ.

At the end of the night she gave us our cocktail hour on CD. We haven't stopped listening to it since!!!

seriously. stop looking for other DJs. You won't find a single one better then this lady here. Seriously.

ps: Julie, we love you. Never stop being awesome.

Sent on 10/29/2013