Julie Jakolat, DJ Reviews

62 Reviews for Julie Jakolat, DJ

Julie Jakolat, DJ 1
Julie Jakolat, DJ 2

Kara · Married on 09/15/2018

Julie made sure to appropriately incorporate our love for country music into our wedding despite not being a huge country fan herself, but still kept the dance floor moving all night. Extremely pleasant, accommodating, helpful, and professional. Guests were so thrilled to be able to unexpectedly request songs throughout the night!

Hannah · Married on 08/18/2018

Julie is a rockstar. She made our wedding day so special. Not only did she incorporate all of our music requests, she took requests from our guests during the cocktail hour and ran them by us to approve! Her equipment is super streamlined, which is great for the minimal bride who wants to avoid anything cheesy. She went above and beyond and helped the day run smoothly overall, in addition to her responsibilities as DJ. I loved to see her busing a move in the DJ booth. Overall, she's just awesome. I highly recommend her to any bride and groom!

• Y

Ya'ir · Married on 06/30/2018

One of our first choices for our wedding was to hire Julie, after remembering her from a friend's wedding a few years back. We're so glad we did. You should too.

What made her great?

- She *loves* music. So she was happy to put in several hours overtime working with us to craft our playlist beforehand - not just because it's professionally a good move, but because she just enjoys her craft! We had a blast working together.

- She knows how weddings are. So she did all sorts of little stuff I never would have anticipated. For instance, during the cocktail hour, she circulated asking people what songs they wanted. And she did this, in part, just so that they also felt comfortable later going up to her during the dance itself with requests. But then she also cross-checked them against our "do not play" list - again, her idea - to make sure were were OK with it too.

- She has great judgement. We gave her a list of songs to play, but our wedding ended up with a shorter dance time because speeches ran long. But she did such a good job picking the best/most representative songs from each genre in our playlist that I never noticed.

- She has taste and standards. My FiL provided a medly for the first dance that she thought was badly cut - so she (after asking) went so far as to *remixed* it to make sure the transitions were better.

- Did I mention she has taste? We went to her for ideas about recessional/precessional/ last songs - and her suggestions were inspired.

- She was a great MC. Carefully got everyone's name right; kept things moving but was relatively unobtrusive; was meticulous about making sure we hit our timing.

- She was just so responsive. At every point, her focus was making sure that our wedding was how we wanted it. I've heard nightmares about DJs halfway through just ignoring the bride/groom and doing their own thing - Julie is so the opposite.

Jason · Married on 12/01/2017

I am not sure what I can say about Julie that has not already been said in one of the glowing reviews she has already received. There is a reason she has a very solid 5-star rating!

My husband and I like a lot of different kinds of music and Julie was so excited discussing our musical tastes with us that we knew very quickly that she had to be the one to DJ our wedding. From the pre-ceremony music (instrumental ballads of current pop music), to the seated dinner music (classic pop standards mixed with more current artists from our playlist), to the high energy dance numbers, she just made all the perfect selections.

In the planning stages, her communication was on point. She made sure to check in on us in the weeks leading up to the wedding, helped plan out the day-of timeline, helped us make decisions on the details that we were unsure of, and was overall a huge support.

Our processional song was Sara Bareilles, "I Choose You". This is one of my favorite artists, and the first time I heard this song I knew it had to be included in our wedding. Julie suggested an acoustic version that we had never heard before. It was so beautiful and fit the moment better than any other song could have. These are the important details that sets her apart from any DJ I have ever met.

We had two of our good friends perform our wedding song live. Not only did Julie take the time to work with them to ensure everything was in place for the performance, she was genuinely excited to make this special request happen.

Her excitement and enthusiasm during the wedding was contagious and it really helped to get everyone out to the dance floor. We were having so much fun that by the end of the night, no one wanted to leave.

If I could do the entire wedding over again, the first call I would make would be to Julie. Thank you, Julie for helping to make our wedding the event of a lifetime!

Julie · Married on 11/03/2017

Julie Jakolat is THE BEST. All of our guests raved about Julie and said she was the best DJ they had ever seen (and me and my groom agree). Julie is the essence of cool and easy going, but has a keen ear and knows how to get people up and dancing. And no cheesy music, but she will tailor the list to your musical tastes if cheesy is what you're looking for :) We met with Julie before signing the contract and she took a full two hours of getting to know us and our music tastes. She really helped to form the flow of the night, which was extremely fun and unforgettable. We love Julie!

Brigid · Married on 08/26/2017

Literally- one of the best decisions we made for our wedding was selecting Julie as our DJ. Julie didn't just go the extra mile to understand our taste in music, and the vibe we wanted for our night- she did a marathon. We were looking for a DJ who understood our dislike of all things corny and over-the-top, and we found it with Julie. From blasting our song outside the venue early so we would hear it as we got some photos taken (making me burst into happy tears) to taking time to talk to our guests during cocktail hour, Julie played the perfect song at the perfect time again and again. Our guests raved about her, and days later I am getting texts asking how we found such an awesome DJ. Can't recommend her enough.

Cotton · Married on 08/24/2017

We hired Julie to DJ our wedding 3 years ago, but when I was at a family member's wedding this weekend I couldn't help but be grateful all over again. Sometimes you just don't realize how fortunately you were! Julie miked us for our outdoor ceremony and everyone could hear everything. (For the wedding we attended this was not the case! I was sitting in the second row and was having difficulty hearing.) She set up a secondary setup to play music for our cocktail hour on the patio, which was perfect. Best of all, she balanced the sound in our reception hall so that the music could be heard by everyone, but wasn't blasting out anyone's ear drums. (At the wedding we attended, the DJ put both his speaks at the same end of the room so that one end of the room was painfully louder than the other.) On top of all that, she was a complete class act - super fun and responsive to the atmosphere of the party, right on top of announcing all the important moments, but never doing any awkward commentary. (I wish I could say the same for this other wedding!) As I say, we loved Julie when we hired her 3 years ago and this other wedding just made it that much more clear how wonderful she is. She is outstanding!!

Lauren · Married on 06/24/2017

I am so thrilled that I booked Julie for my wedding! We had a wonderful initial meeting where she got a sense of what we liked (and didn't like :)) She was very communicative via email leading up to the wedding. Then, on the day, she went around to our guests asking for requests, which she ran by us. I had several guests comment on how awesome she was, and how much fun she was having! My sister even said she wants to book Julie for her future wedding! Julie is more than a DJ, she becomes your friend. Thank you for everything!

• I

Ilya · Married on 06/17/2017

Julie was the best! She was very responsive when working with us and was open to any suggestions we had and was very helpful when I had questions on the wedding day timeline. She kept the reception fun and upbeat. She was such a pleasure to work with!

Theresa · Married on 06/09/2017

Julie is the GREATEST. She DJ'd our wedding in June of 2017, and from the moment we spoke on the phone I was smitten with her. She has phenomenal taste, listens to everything you tell her (she picked up on my likes and dislikes faster than I did!), is charismatic and the consummate professional. Julie not only DJ'd, but really helped us run our wedding, from set up to ceremony to the very last song. She asked our guests for song requests during the cocktail hour, checked in with us regularly to make sure we were happy, and is the brightest ray of sunshine you can imagine. Our guests RAVED about her, and we agree wholeheartedly. Hire her! Hire her now!

Julie Jakolat, DJ 4

Alexandra · Married on 05/13/2017

Julie was:

-Professional. Great communication and organization leading up to the wedding. She prepared playlists, song folders, and video chats to discuss logistics. She was flexible and accommodating as things changed, working with our cocktail band and wedding planner.

-Great personality. Wedding guests all remarked how fun our DJ was. She went around prior to the reception and took requests to make sure everyone felt welcome on the dance floor. She was dancing and smiling every time we looked over at her.

Lisa Marie · Married on 11/05/2016

Julie was exactly what we were looking for! From the very beginning, she was kind, meticulous and aligned with all the priorities we had; to focus on making this day about my mine and my husband's union and it was exactly that-- reflective of our life, personality and love! My husband is a musician and was very particular as to what music was and was not played. Julie had multiple Skype dates with us, she prepped an amazing cocktail hour (and a half) of music, surveyed our crowd for requests during it and then killed it during the reception. She has tons of fun while doing her job, and appropriately checked in throughout the night without overwhelming us. She knew how important the music was to us and did her best to represent us. She even attended our ceremony, picked up on lyrics read during it and then played it as the first song after our first dance! We invited her to our after party and brunch the next day, where she was an absolute pleasure to share a drink with! It was the most perfect day for my husband and I and all of our guests were overwhelmed with the full experience Julie helped create (tons commented on her awesome energy and spirit while she was behind the table!). Julie is a custom service to the max! Thank you Julie!

Mike · Married on 10/15/2016

Julie was awesome - she was great to work with and really flexible with how we approached the music selection. We had an outdoor / tented wedding and her equipment suited the event perfectly. Her musical taste and song selections fit each stage of the wedding day and we couldn't be happier with how things turned out. A lot of friends and family have commented on how enthusiastic she was when DJ'ing.

karen · Married on 10/01/2016

My wife and I are so grateful to Julie Jakolat for the incredible DJ services she provided.

Julie gave us personalized attention from the first phone call (three months ago) to today (2 weeks after the wedding). She spent time getting to know us and our musical tastes, which I think helped her understand the vibe we wanted for our wedding.

On the day of the event, Julie mingled with our guests and asked them for requests. Only when the dance party started did I understand the genius of this approach. Our guests got so engaged and excited when their requests came on, and it kept the playlist fresh and surprising for us (though I should add that Julie gave us veto power to remove requests we didn’t like). She kept our dance party going full force for four hours straight.

Additionally, Julie helped us on the day of our wedding in ways that went above and beyond her duties as a DJ, which was essential for things running smoothly. She was our right-hand person throughout the evening.

Over the next few days, we heard repeatedly from our guests how amazing the DJ was, and that they were sore from non-stop dancing. One guest said that she didn’t want to use the restroom because she was afraid she would miss a good song. The dance party was the most important aspect of the wedding for us, and Julie realized our greatest hopes, and then some.

Sarah · Married on 09/24/2016

Put simply, DJ Julie is amazing! Picking a DJ to entertain your guests was a daunting task for us. As band and choir geeks, music is a very important part of our lives. We met Julie on a rainy evening for a “get to know each other” session. Within the first minutes the two of us knew that we had found the perfect person. From that first meeting, Julie stayed in touch with us and checked-in to make sure the stress of planning wasn’t causing us too much worry. She worked with us and all our musical quirks. We were at a venue she had not played previously so she came out a week before the wedding to get a visual of the layout and to check out the acoustics of the place (metal sided barn). On the day of the wedding, she milled with our guests during cocktail hour and took notes and song requests. It got our guests involved and also made them feel more at home with her. I can’t tell you how many times I heard a guest exclaim, “I love this song!” during cocktails. At dinner we had everything from old time jazz to country to a bluegrass version of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.” When dancing got started, everyone was up. I actually saw people trying to eat dessert and dance at the same time because they didn’t want to leave the floor. Some DJ’s come in with gadgetry and lights and consoles and massive speakers that can blow you out of a room. Her setup was simple and tasteful. The speakers were balanced perfectly, the audio was clean and crisp and you could feel the drum beats and bass rhythms without getting shaken out of your seat. Our guests went home happy and tired from all the dancing we did and we’re still hearing the praises of what a tremendous job Julie did. Perhaps one of the nicest things Julie does, is send you the playlist of the evening so you can recreate the soundtrack of your day. In our opinion, there is no better choice than Julie to spin the tunes for your reception. Thank you Julie for helping to make our day amazing!

~Sarah and Daniel

L · Married on 09/17/2016

Booking DJ Julie was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding! My husband and I had strong opinions about the music we wanted for our wedding reception (I'm a professional music writer), and DJ Julie perfectly managed our ridiculously long playlists, obsessive spreadsheets, and silly guest requests on the day of. The dance floor was always poppin', and the music definitely made it feel like OUR wedding, and no one else's. Our guests LOVED her; in fact, they invited her to our after party, and several of them have already tried to book her for their own weddings! My best advice? Book her early & often!

Jackie · Married on 08/20/2016

Julie is the BEST! My Husband and I really wanted to get away from the typical "Westchester" County DJ, and by that we mean someone who would tell you to get up and dance, come with cheap blaring colored strobe lights and play songs like the macarena ! Now if this is your thing, that is cool and I am sure Julie can accommodate, but if your sensibilities are more music savvy and you have loved music your whole life then Julie is the person for you! Julie is not your typical DJ, she is an analytical thinker who genuinely understands peoples personalities and caters music to your day. She speaks to your guests to get a feel and an understanding for their tastes and then goes over it with you. She creates a list for you, or you create one for her (which is what we did because we are obsessed with music) and then she fine tunes it to go along with each event of the day/night. This kept every generation of person in our space feeling happy and in the mood to party and continue the night! It means so much to us to have had our DJ be so reliable and we recommend Julie to anyone looking for someone who is truly authentic in their craft. Julie J the DJ, it Rhymes so what is better than that!

My husband and I met Julie while checking out a possible venue site for our May 2016 wedding. Although we chose not to go with the venue, we loved our conversation with Julie as she completed her final set-up for an upcoming wedding on site. From that first conversation we knew Julie was enthusiastic, flexible, easy going, professional, and personable...just the type of person we were looking for in a DJ. We were not looking for any over the top lighting features, photo booths, or other craziness...just not us. Julie's set up is simple and streamlined.

As other's have said she works with you from day 1. She sent us suggestions as needed and accommodated our needs as desired. She even thought about us as she met a country singer on a plane trip!

We had so many compliments from our guests the day of and I'm sure will continue to have them in the future. Guests felt that Julie did a good job accommodating their needs and keeping the party going without being too intrusive as some seem to be! From what I've heard several guests asked for Julie's card including one of the catering staff!

Julie is SO in LOVE with her work! She spent some time dancing behind her table during the wedding. Some of the caterer's staff joined her in busting out some moves! To top it all off Julie went above and beyond and played a few extra requests after the guests had left just to please my bridesmaids who were enjoying themselves a bit too much! Julie even joined us in some moves on the dance floor at the end of the evening.

Thanks again Julie! We would hire you again in a heartbeat!!!!!

Tiffany and Matthew

Elizabeth · Married on 05/28/2016

When my fiancee and I were planning our wedding, the decision to look for a DJ was kind of a sore subject. We were resigned to the idea that most DJ's were cheesy and played bad overplayed music as a default and never thought we would find someone who knew what to do with our musical tastes. Out of frustration I entered "Indie Alternative Non Cheesy Hudson Valley DJ" into Google, kind of as a joke on myself, and up popped the Wedding Wire profile for A Different Spin.
    At our first meeting with Julie, we spent about 3 hours just talking about music. We had obviously clicked!

Hiring Julie was probably the best wedding planning decision e made. She was amazing! So many of our guests told us how great the music was. She built the perfect playlist based on all of our conversations and emails and she did such an amazing job at working on the fly as well... Throwing in songs from the movies we used as table markers and adding in songs to get EVERYONE dancing that still didn't sound out of place with the general flow of the music.
    Julie has the most encyclopedic knowledge of music and I am confident in her ability to make a unique personal playlist for any party no matter what type of music the client was in to. I seriously do not have any negative feedback to give. Julie was everything we had hoped for in a DJ and more!

Alyson · Married on 05/14/2016

Julie was fantastic! She is an amazing DJ who clearly loves what she does. She is energetic, fun, and flexible (we had a time crunch).

She played to the entire crowd and spent time with the guests to get a feel for the group. Everyone had a blast! All of our guests were commenting on the great music and she got everyone dancing!

Julie was really great and we would recommend her for any event!

Jamie · Married on 12/27/2015

We definitely picked the right DJ! Julie had less than two months to plan for our wedding as we started planning late ourselves. Despite this, people at the wedding thought that she was a friend of ours that we had known for years. She really made the wedding all about us and she took the time to get to know us and our taste in music and what we had in mind for the mood of the wedding.
    She asked us for a list of do’s and dont's for the music and went from there to develop the perfect music set for the night. Communication with Julie was always fast, easy, and positive.
    Julie’s equipment was perfect for two rooms (cocktail and reception). The music was at the perfect volume for a party, but not so loud as to drown out all conversations. She welcomed guests’ requests, but ran them by us before playing especially if she got the impression that the request wouldn’t go over well with us. I swear, I think she has ESP!
    This woman knows her music!! Seriously! I was so impressed with the variety of genres and artists she knows. My husband and I were so nervous about picking a DJ because we thought we would never find someone who would understand what we wanted (we both despise top 40 charts). Julie was the answer!!
    We loved her! Our parents loved her! Our guests loved her! Even our maitre d' and wedding coordinator thought she was great!
    Without her, this would have been a very different night. I’ll never forget how awesome she was!! Thank you, Julie!!

Jonathan · Married on 12/05/2015

What can I say about Julie that hasn't been said by others about Julie? As everyone else on Wedding Wire says, she's extraordinary and we've all been thrilled at how the evening turns out.

Julie has a number of qualities that sets her apart for us:

1) Her knowledge of music is bar none one of the best I've encountered... She's stumped us on many occasions, and on the few occasions where we've stumped her, she's always enthusiastically incorporated those requests and suggestions. As she was able to put a number of songs that made people lift their heads up like they heard a pleasant surprise, she even emailed us a playlist after the wedding.

2) She turned into an incredible resource on weddings in general. She has a great command of timelines and venues and you can really trust her opinions and advice on giving the best experience possible! In fact, she even helped us pick the venue! In a roundabout way but there we were.

3) Her enthusiasm and good nature is infectious. She takes the time to speak to the guests during cocktail hour to see what type of music they want to hear. To this day, we still have guests asking who the dee jay is. It frankly amazes me how she can take suggestions and bring them to her DJ set so seamlessly. Almost like a deft improv player.

4) Great sense of humor... she helped me "rickroll" the wedding. Nuff said

5) Her ability to take interview sessions with us, suggestions from the wedding party, and (most importantly) her own instincts as an artist (DJ's are definitely artists) and curate a playlist that kept people dancing more than I could have imagined. We have amazing photos of everyone getting down... especially my 4 year old nephew who kicked it to at least 2 of Julies songs. Honeslty, I could make a review purely from before and after photos of people before the music and during...

Julie Jakolat is a wonderful person to work with. Amie and I highly recommend her and agree that you'd be stupid to look further.

Melissa · Married on 11/08/2015

Julie was amazing. She really GOT us. Our amazing photographers, upon hearing about our day, realized Julie would be the perfect fit. And she was just that. Julie didn't miss a beat. She consulted with us for months before the wedding and had the patience and understanding to know when to encourage my quirky ideas and when to reign me in. She shared songs with us, even helping us find the perfect version of our first dance song to make it truly OURS. She made sure that the processional was dialed in for us, helping us to get the right songs at the right time, During cocktail hour, she had already made a mix of songs so that she could mingle with the crowd to take their temperature. I couldn't believe how WELL she knew us by the time the reception rolled around. There were so many moments when I would just laugh in sheer delight at the moments that she orchestrated. I am sad that it's over because it was SUCH a delight to collaborate with Julie. I can't say enough good things about her. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tim · Married on 10/31/2015

Julie is amazing. My wife and I cannot recommend her highly enough. Since our wedding, our guests--young and old--keep saying to us: "That DJ was amazing!"

Julie is extremely knowledgeable about music and how to make the party flow smoothly: how to get people dancing, how to transition to dinner, and how to get people back on the dance floor.

Julie expertly led us through the music planning process. She offered sage advice and took our direction. More than giving Julie a "Play/Do Not Play" list, we (by choice) explained our vision and depended on Julie to translate our vision into music. What we crudely sketched out, Julie painted into a masterpiece.

A few other great things:
    1. Julie circulated during the cocktail hour asking our guests for requests. Guests loved this and have commented on it repeatedly. Julie edited the requests accordingly.
    2. Julie was responsive to who was on the dance floor (older guests, guests in their 20s and 30s, guests under 20) and played the music they wanted to hear and dance to. And was able to bridge the gap between the ages.
    3. Julie edited our ideas (which we asked her to do). She saved us from ourselves. She made us look good.
    4. Julie looked excited to be at the reception, sometimes dancing behind her setup. Guests saw this and it made them more excited to be there, more willing to dance. This may seem like a small thing, but it was hugely important in creating the atmosphere.
    5. We had an untraditional wedding: a costume party on Halloween. During dinner, Julie played a set of songs that corresponded to our guests' costumes (Sgt. Pepper's for the Beatles, Theme from Rocky for Rocky and Adrian, Gilligan's Island for the Gilligan's Island crew). This lead to one of my favorite parts: people spontaneously dancing to their song, and the crowd alternatively cheering them or joining in. Julie made that random, wonderful part of our wedding happen.