John Joseph Inn Reviews

47 | Groton, NY

47 Reviews for John Joseph Inn

Rachel Oltz · Married on 11/09/2019

Autumn Wonderland

My husband and I had our wedding here. To say it was exceptional, would be an understatement! John and his staff exceeded every expectation and were incredibly accommodating to us and our guests.
    It was important for us to have delicious food at our reception. We were told JJI had excellent food. One person told me they had the "best bite of food they've ever had". 100% recommend this place to host your wedding!!

Sent on 11/12/2019
  • Taylor

Taylor Poklemba · Married on 08/04/2018

The wedding of my dreams came true!!

From the moment we met John we knew this was exactly where we wanted our wedding. John is truly one of a kind and will make sure everything you hope to have in your wedding happens. John created a cake person for us that was incredible, the food was amazing and continue to hear it from guests. He was there every step of the way answering any question you have and putting out any fire there was. He made the wedding planning process a breeze. The day of the wedding he made sure every detail was complete. I would not go anywhere else. John and his staff were amazing. The John Joseph Inn is one of a kind, beautiful wherever you look. The Inn, ceremony site, and reception were breathtaking. John focuses on your experience and ensures it’s the best it can be.... shout out to his staff as they are as detailed oriented as he is.....they joined us on the dance floor on our final dance to end the night off right.

Sent on 12/31/2018

Sarah · Married on 07/21/2018

Personalized fairytale wedding

The John Joseph Inn was the perfect location for our upstate wedding! The estate provides separate picturesque spaces for ceremony, cocktail and reception. Our guests loved that we stayed on property for all of the nights events and festivities. John helped us create our wedding vision and we couldn’t be happier! We would highly recommend the John Jospeh Inn!

• James

James · Married on 07/15/2018

Flawless, stressless wedding

John takes care of everything so the bride should have a stress free special day.

His culinary skills are amazing so challenge him to make the entrees however you would like. But seriously, you have to challenge him. lol my family heritage is Hispanic and hers was Italian, being said we had ceviche and enchilada horduerves and the entree was handmade gnocchi with a badass cut of steak. We didn’t wanna do the cliche cake so we had a 3-4 handmade cheesecake bar with fruit sauces and melted chocolates for toppings.

Straight amazing.

John is just one of the guys and treats you like you are the only that is booking there.

• Shawna

Shawna Gathings · Married on 07/14/2018

Amazing wedding venue and the food was phenomenal !

We attended my nephew James Neal’s wedding at John Joseph Inn and it was exceptional! The grounds were perfect and the wedding, reception and accommodations were top notch! It definitely makes us Texas folk want to return to this area of New York for a weekend trip or an even longer vacation!

Sent on 12/31/2018

Courtney · Married on 09/16/2017

John's number one priority is creating a memorable experience for you and your guests. He's an event planning expert with amazing culinary talent. If you'd like to spend your time comparing napkin colors, planning elaborate favors or freaking out over logistics– take a deep breath and let John simplify things and help you plan what matter most: A meaningful ceremony in a beautiful setting, BOMB food/drinks and a fun party that everyone will remember.

Spending the entire weekend at the inn meant less logistical planning, and more time to relax with family and friends. John did everything from baking us fresh muffins in the morning, to keeping us on schedule while getting ready, to directing guests after cocktail hour. We're so glad we had our wedding at the John Joseph Inn, and would recommend it to anyone!!! Can't wait to go back for some tastings : )

Sent on 12/02/2017

Erin · Married on 09/02/2017

We could not be any happier after getting married at the John Joseph Inn on 9.2.17...the day and the entire weekend at the Inn was better than we could have ever imagined! Before we get into the details, one of the best aspects about the Inn - especially for a wedding - is that your entire experience can feel more relaxed since you can stay overnight (in gorgeous, comfortable, decadent rooms), get ready with your bridal party, and then literally just walk right outside and get married in the beautiful gardens on the property. John and his staff (especially Ashley!) honestly makes you feel right at home immediately so that any nerves or wedding planning stress quickly melts away. We also decided to host our rehearsal dinner there which we highly recommend doing since the food, drinks and ambiance is fantastic. From the start, we loved John and his positive & humorous attitude, but he stepped it up a notch when it came time for our wedding weekend. He was so dedicated to our wedding & happiness that we honestly can't think of one thing that we would have changed. He was so much fun to work with, gave us great advice when we needed it, and gave us peace of mind since he has been in the wedding business for quite some time and really is a true expert. He wears many hats throughout the process (since he's both the owner/manager & chef) but he doesn't let anything slip through the cracks and will make sure your day is flawless. The food is incredible - huge portions, delicious/perfectly cooked entrees, AMAZING carrot cake...seriously our guests could not stop raving about all the food - we've been hearing constantly from our family & friends that it was the "best carrot cake I've ever had" "my steak was cooked perfectly" "the chicken was juicy and so delicious", etc! I could write much more but since there is a word limit here, just know that John and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel like you're not just another wedding and you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 09/10/2017

Kim · Married on 08/22/2015

Our wedding day could not have been more spectacular than it was. John and Elizabeth are truly the greatest. From the first time we met John we knew that this was our dream wedding venue. They are two of the most personable, down to earth, and multi talented people we have ever met. What makes their business stand out from the rest is their love for family. We didn't just get married on their property. We created irreplaceable memories with our closest family and friends. The food was top notch which was not a surprise as John and Elizabeth are both culinary experts. The signature drinks were a hit and the cake, absolutely breathtaking. John was very flexible when it came to logisitical matters. He also tweaked the menu to meet our requests. The property is immaculate which made for perfect photos. John was there for us every step of the way even up until I walked down the aisle. He was there to hold my dress as I walked through the garden. He took the time to get to know us which I strongly believe is the reason our day went perfectly. My husband Jon and I cannot thank John and Elizabeth enough for making the best day of our lives come true. What they do for people is a very beautiful thing. We will be back in the near future for a tasting and cannot wait to roll up their driveway to be greeted with huge smiles. What an amazing team John and Elizabeth make. Nothing beats having a private estate to yourself for an entire weekend without the interruption of other wedding parties. The staff was exceptional as well. They were friendly and very attentive to us and our guests. We have received dozens of messages from our families and friends saying "that was the best wedding we have ever been to!". All of our thanks, love and appreciation to you, John and Elizabeth! - Kim and John Kearney

Sent on 08/24/2015

Kimberly · Married on 09/13/2014

I had the pleasure of working with John and Elizabeth for my wedding on September 13, 2014. They made my wedding day perfection. Their attention to detail and their hard work makes for a wedding to be remembered. My wedding day started off rainy, grey and gross... John and Elizabeth were determined to create a day that would still be perfection in my eyes with plan of doing the ceremony here or there, whatever would work best. As the weather cleared up they dropped those plans and moved the ceremony back outside. They and their staff set up my reception area to perfection, they made THE best food, they took care of the cake which was phenomenal, John was there to guide us through every step of the day, which made for a stress free bride and groom who were able to sit back and enjoy themselves. Having the rehearsal, ceremony and reception all in one place made for easy planning and created a home away from home for the weekend. Having our family and friends stay or stop by the Inn whenever they liked made for a relaxing and fun time. The grounds, arbor, Inn, cottage, restaurant and tent all made a lovely backdrop for our beautiful day, not to mention BEAUTIFUL photo opportunities. As my groom still sleeps from post wedding exhaustion I could not help but recount my wonderful wedding day and brag a bit about how wonderful it turned out thanks to John, Elizabeth and the wonderful staff they surround themselves with. If you didn't know about the John Joseph Inn before, You're Welcome because now you do!

Sent on 09/15/2014

Jennelle · Married on 06/22/2013

If I could give this venue and its owner, John Hamilton, higher than five stars on everything, I would! From beginning to end, John made our wedding the most special weekend of our lives. Rather than just rave, I will break it down:

Planning: John made the planning easy and seamless. He provided a vendor list that I found extremely helpful when it came to booking all the extras, like florist, DJ, etc. He always answered all of my (many) questions, either by email or phone, within a few days of sending them to him. We had a planning session via Skype since we were planning from New York City. John spent almost two hours with us, chatting and getting a feel for the wedding we wanted.

Property: The Inn itself could not be more idyllic--it's a breathtaking backdrop for a wedding. The gardens were amazing and beautifully kept, plus there were lambs (!) roaming in the back. The rooms themselves are amazing--each one has its own character, with flat screens and jacuzzi tubs. John brought breakfast baskets each morning that had the BEST muffins in the world in them--most mornings the muffins were still warm when we got them.

Day of: We had a short rehearsal the night before, and everything went off without a hitch. John's staff was warm and welcoming as well, and did a beautiful job setting up for the reception. Also, it was amazing that my bridesmaids and I got to relax up in the bridal suite until it was time to go down, and then John came to collect us.

Food: THE FOOD! It was crazy good--not your normal wedding fare. We did three appetizers during cocktail hour and then the plated dinner, and everyone raved about the food (particularly the steak)! The cake was also amazing with buttercream and fresh strawberries.

Service: The service at the reception was remarkable. The bartenders were personable and attentive, and there was never a long wait at the bar. The specialty drink was a perfect touch too.

This place does not disappoint!!!

Sent on 07/08/2013

Courtney · Married on 08/11/2012

I cannot say enough about the John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant as a ceremony/reception venue. The short version is this: the grounds are insanely beautiful, the meal was perfect, they made us an incredible almond cake, John was available to answer questions via email or Skype, and we had an absolutely perfect wedding. Seriously, they know what they're doing and nothing could have gone any better than it did. Have your wedding & reception here. You’ll be really glad that you did.

The long version follows.

We live in Oakland, California and began planning our summer 2012 wedding in August 2011. We were looking for a beautiful outdoor ceremony and reception location that was closer to family (Michigan and Pennsylvania, respectively). We did all of our planning remotely. We chose the JJandE based solely on their website and online reviews. When we first contacted the JJandE (website here: http://www.jjande.com/www.JJandE.com/Home.html), John was very helpful in answering our plentiful questions and recommending vendors for hair, makeup, photography, etc. As we got deeper into planning, we reached out a few more times and each time, John gave us the benefit of his experience hosting over 100 weddings.

Another major factor in our decision was food. We wanted to find a place where the food was fresh, delicious, and prepared by someone whose cooking reflects care and practice. We found that in the JJandE. There were a variety of meal options, and we chose to offer a strip steak, whitefish, and vegetable strudel, all of which met with rave reviews from our guests.

This review is too long...part 2 will follow.

Sent on 08/18/2012

Mayra · Married on 06/02/2012

The grounds at the John Joseph Inn are spectacular and make the perfect backdrop for wedding pictures. The food is amazing!!! We had a few guests with dietary restrictions and John was able to accommodate all their needs. It has been one month since the wedding, and we are still hearing great reviews from our friends and family on the food. John, his wife, Elizabeth, and their staff provide such great service that I would recommend the John Joseph Inn to anyone looking to get married in the Finger Lakes area!

Sent on 07/02/2012

Nicole · Married on 07/23/2011

I loved the John Joseph Inn on first sight (which happened to be during a tornado). It really was the perfect place to get married, and I don't anything like it in Ithaca or the surrounding areas (or at least nothing that we found, and we did a lot of research). The day itself was perfect - John and his wife Elizabeth, the owners of the Inn, really do such a nice job on the day of the wedding, and we received SO many compliments on the food, the staff, the atmosphere (and this was during the weekend where it was over 100 degrees in Ithaca, so our wedding was WARM to put it mildly) and I can't envision us having our reception in any other place.

That said, dealing with John in advance of the wedding (we didn't meet Elizabeth until the wedding weekend) was often a frustrating process. John is a "personality" - he's funny, and warm when you meet him in person, and you think things are going great when you're together, but if you're planning your wedding from afar (like we were), when you're not in John's immediate presence, you can feel like some things slip through the cracks: we frequently didn't receive responses to our pre-wedding inquiries, which didn't do much to make us feel comfortable in the lead up to the wedding, and when he did respond, he forgot many of our conversations (e.g. that we had even booked our wedding date with him)! So I want to make our rating clear - the JJE is a 5 star establishment on the day of the wedding, but planning the wedding, in our experience, unfortunately wasn't.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, John and Elizabeth really go out of their way to make your wedding day extraordinary on the day of. A year later, if I could do it all over again with them, I would.

Sent on 07/27/2012

g · Married on 07/09/2011

The John Joseph Inn gets high ratings from our experience for a couple of reasons.

As the innkeeper, chef, and all-around go-to guy, John worked hard to give us the wedding of our dreams and succeeded with his attention to detail and high energy. John was a great partner with a lot of experience and a good vision of how the weekend should be structured, and he incorporated the special touches that were important to us. It was great to be able to relax knowing that we were in his capable hands, especially the day of the wedding. John was everywhere - managing his amazing staff in and outside of the kitchen, serving as wedding coordinator and MC, even holding the train of my dress!

The grounds are beautiful, very well maintained, and have an elegant yet comfortable feel. The inn itself is quaint, classic, updated and exquisitely decorated. The beautiful tent is also worth mentioning - perfect size so all your guests feel close by, with chandeliers and a stone floor. John and his wife are chefs who planned an amazing local and seasonal meal (for the whole weekend) and everything was fantastic - especially the cake!

All in all, John's enthusiasm for ensuring that each wedding is unique and runs smoothly, coupled with his expertise in managing the details, made for an amazing wedding weekend for us and our guests. The only drawback I would mention is that the hotels in Ithaca are a little distant from the Inn - so make sure that you can offer a shuttle for your guests.

Sent on 08/04/2012

g · Married on 07/09/2011

Sent on 08/04/2012

Peg · Married on 10/02/2010

This was the wedding our daughter always dreamed of. The John Joseph In and Elizabeth Restaurant were perfect in every way! From our first appointment to the end the experience was professional, thorough, well planned and exceeded our expectations completely! The location and inn are gorgeous, well appointed and in excellent condition. The food and beverage were creative gourmet with a organic edge. The staff was attentive and their timing was spot on. Our guests were treated like royalty. John and Elizabeth were easy to work with and always went the extra mile to make this a perfect day! If only we had another daughter! Peg and Doug Whitehouse

Sent on 07/27/2012

Emily · Married on 09/01/2007

these guys did an amazing job! our wedding was perfect!

Sent on 05/19/2008

Rose · Married on 10/09/2011

We got married in early October and I cannot put into words just how beautiful the grounds were at the JJ&E. John and his wife have really created a spectacular place to have any kind of wedding. The day of my wedding John came through and made my dream wedding happen. He even rescued us fro an emergency, when our DJ lost our wedding song. John came to the rescue and was able to quickly download our song and have it played just in time. He made the whole event stress-free for me and allowed me to enjoy myself on my wedding day. I will always be greatful for that. His staff is great and super friendly. The food was delicious, service was fabulous, and the grounds simply beautiful. The service did not end that night. John continued to provide us with special and great service the next day when he and his wife hosted us and our family a delicious brunch. I will never forget just how beautiful my wedding was!

Sent on 10/28/2011

Erin · Married on 10/06/2018

Wedding venue

This venue was incredible. John took care of absolutely everything and made our wedding a dream. As a bride it was so nice knowing that John could handle everything, and help to make the wedding perfect. The venue was beautiful and the food was AMAZING. We also had our rehearsal dinner and Sunday brunch here; I would HIGHLY recommend!

Luke Macleod · Married on 09/08/2018

Perfect Venue

My wife and I had the time of our lives at our wedding and all because of this awesome venue. The grounds are picturesk, the food is excellent, and John was a complete professional and was very laid back and accommodating with everything we needed.

Jenna Selander · Married on 07/01/2018

Superb Quality, Hands-on Expertise

Hiring John Hamilton to do our wedding was the second best decision we made that year! From the moment we reached out to him in January to the final departure in July, John was 100% dedicated to making our wedding fantastic. The inn and property were absolutely beautiful, and he and his staff worked with us to ensure we achieved the appropriate 'feel' we desired. The best part however, was the food; John has a culinary background - and worked with us to create the perfect dining experience for our guests. John treated us with fairness and integrity and sold us on his passion. We highly recommend using his venue for any and all types of weddings.

Sent on 01/01/2019

Laura · Married on 07/01/2017

This review is long overdue! We loved the John Joseph Inn and are so grateful to John and his team for making our day so incredibly special. The Inn and grounds are just stunning and the food was out of this world. John was very helpful to us in the months and days leading up to our wedding and we really relied on his expertise. We were not disappointed! We were facing awful forecasts for our wedding weekend and John told us not to panic, that we could make a last minute decision to tent the cocktail hour, or other adjustments if necessary, John was so easy to work with. Would highly recommend to any couples looking to get married in the Finger Lakes. We would pick the John Joseph Inn over and over again. Thank you for everything, John!

Sent on 01/20/2018

Shannon · Married on 10/12/2013

John Hamilton and his wife own and run the Inn. The grounds are absolutely stunning! The food and wait staff were first class. Many of my guests have told us that this is one of the best weddings they have ever been to. They made our fairytale wedding a reality!

Sent on 10/26/2013

Jessica · Married on 08/10/2013

Having my reception at John Joseph Inn and Elizabeth Restaurant was a choice I would make over and over again. The Inn and grounds are really gorgeous and well kept. John was out mowing all the lawns in the pouring rain the day before our reception when we arrived to make sure the grass would look just right the next night, and the rest of the weekend continued in that fashion. John, Elizabeth, and their staff went above and beyond what myself or any of my family could have anticipated. We were surprised first by adorable lambs and a beautifully in bloom sunflower field we didn’t expect, then breakfast baskets for all the girls getting ready delivered to each room, then nicely displayed and creatively infused liquors that were a huge hit with guests at the open bar! John was also able to execute my “pinterest heavy” ideas exactly as I had imagined without me worrying about anything except getting my dress on. He also did so much behind the scene to help move the night in the direction we wanted. During the planning process, be sure to be open with him about your ideas, and he will be able to tell you what will work and what won’t. And trust him, he really knows what he’s doing. Over a week has passed since the wedding, and I am still getting daily emails and messages from guests saying it was the classiest, best, most beautiful, awesome and fun, wedding and I received non-stop praise for the food too. Our cupcakes with a small cutting cake and late night taco bar… beautiful and delicious…OH MY GOSH! I really can’t say enough. If you want to get married in Ithaca, I would truly say to look no further than John Joseph Inn. Our wedding day here was a complete dream come true. As my seven year old cousin standing in the apple orchard said “we all went inside the biggest fairytale there is”. Thank you so much John and Elizabeth. –Jessica and Steve~ Aug 10, 2013 wedding

Sent on 08/19/2013

Bethany · Married on 06/08/2013

Our wedding day was incredible - the grounds were beautiful, the food was excellent, the service was impeccable. John, the owner, truly is a jack of all trades. Just days before our wedding (in the pouring rain) he was out on his John Deere preparing the grounds. The day of our wedding he appeared in a seersucker suit and played the part of gracious host. Our only complaint was the level of communication leading up to the wedding. We were planning our wedding from out-of-state and at times it was very difficult to get in touch with John. In the end, though, everything turned out beautifully - exactly how I envisioned our wedding day. If you put your trust in John and his staff, you will not be disappointed with the results!

Sent on 07/17/2013