John David Weddings Reviews

30 | Austin, TX

30 Reviews for John David Weddings

• Ting

Ting G. · Married on 07/03/2020

So talented and awesome to work with!

If you're looking for a super talented, easy to work with, out-of-the-box thinking, creative photographer to capture your special day, BOOK JD NOW! JD was with us every step of the way--he helped guide us when we didn't even know what we were looking for, asking us the right questions to get a sense of our style and vision. We were so at ease with JD! He's an absolute professional and on top of it, just such a calming presence...he was able to calm me during some of my meltdowns day of as well, haha! Thank you so much for capturing the best part of our quirky, multi-cultural wedding celebration, JD! The night was a blur, but I get tears looking at the photos you took, truly capturing the joy and love felt by all that night :) We were so lucky to have you!

Super belated post!

Sent on 10/01/2020
  • Erika

Erika M. · Married on 10/26/2019

Top notch in every way!

JD was an ABSOLUTE PLEASURE to work with and such a talent!! I can't gush about him enough. My now-husband and I (both architects) got married in a home we had just finished designing and building, and the wedding felt like an extension of ourselves and our design work together. We kept things small, were relentless about every last detail, and worked incredibly hard to hand-pick a team we felt amazing about. We struggled for a while to find a photographer who could capture not only the wedding but also the incredibly symbolic place that framed the whole occasion. I can say with the strongest conviction that JD was a perfect choice for us.

First of all, he was so kind and helpful from the first time we spoke on the phone. We immediately felt great chemistry with him, which is so important, especially when you're having an intimate celebration and want everyone present to feel like a special part of the festivities. And JD was just that! On the day-of, he made us feel so comfortable, as though he were a long-time friend. He had a great sense of humor, and you could feel his genuine excitement and passion for his work. All this helped make the whole day incredibly fun and joyful, as it should be! And his efficiency while taking the formals (which for our 55-person wedding ended up being basically everyone there) was super impressive. He even came by incredibly early on the morning before the wedding to take some stunning architectural shots of the house itself, which was such a special treat.

And most importantly of course, the photos are absolutely gorgeous!! We have already shared so many wonderful moments looking through them, and we know they will only get better over the years. What a wonderful, priceless gift we've been given to be able to revisit such an incredible day, captured so artfully.

We would wholeheartedly recommend JD to anyone looking for professional wedding photographer who can not only skillfully photograph all of your beautiful moments, but also capture something a bit more nuanced—the overall feel of your big day, the personalities of the couple and guests, that special something that makes your wedding completely unique. He is a true gem of a wedding photographer!

Sent on 05/28/2020
  • X

Xan I. · Married on 06/28/2019

Flawlessly beautiful

I can’t say enough great things about JD. I have had the privilege of knowing him as a friend for about seven years and have seen him in at least four other weddings. JD is an incredible person and a truly inspired photographer. He is one of the most talented people I have ever met. He could not be more professional, helpful, or encouraging when he is shooting a wedding. He set us at ease, helped us move through the whole night, and had so many creative and breathtaking ideas and photos. He was palpably excited the whole time. It was obvious that he was happy to be there and was having a great time making beautiful photos for us. It was so much fun to watch him work because you can see the gears turning the whole time for how to create the most amazing and unique photos. He had the best ideas and executed them all perfectly. All of our guests talked for weeks about how amazing he was and how they could not wait to see the pictures. He got us a few pictures the next few days and the rest of the pictures shortly after. We did not have to wait long for our pictures. He was very professional and easy to work with on the price—no haggling like some other photographers I spoke with. We would go back and may triple if we had to—the pictures were that good. His work is flawless and breathtakingly beautiful. Some photographers have all their weddings look the same, but he really does capture the spirit and feel of each wedding very precisely and beautifully.

JD brings the same level of attention to detail, care, and thoughtfulness to his work as he does to his friendships. He was the best decision we made when planning our wedding. If you hire him, you will be thankful you did for the rest of your life. It is a pleasure and an honor to know him and to have his photos forever. He is—hands down—the best photographer you can hire.

Sent on 08/21/2019
  • Joanie

Joanie T. · Married on 12/08/2018

Blown Away

Blown away by JD's work. He shot my wedding at Barr Mansion in December '18 and we could not be happier with the photos he sent us. I love his editing style and portraits. He shoots at Barr Mansion frequently and not one wedding I've seen from him looks the same. He is creative and inspired and truly seems to enjoy creating beautiful moments with his camera. But his photos speak for themselves. Working with JD himself was really amazing.

I am camera shy and prefer not to be in photos so I thought I'd be uncomfortable all day. Unless you are taking portraits with JD, you have NO idea he is around. He somehow remains behind the scenes and manages to capture every special moment. Seeing JD's beautiful portraits made me think all the weddings he'd shot were of professional models, but learned that the photos are a direct result of his clear direction. He calls out practically every pose so you feel natural and comfortable in front of the camera.

When we took family photos, he made it shockingly painless (and my huge family always gets cranky during photos). He never once made the day about the photos which I'm told happens frequently with wedding photographers.

There was a point in the night when my husband and I wanted to run around and make sure we'd said hello to everyone at our 300-person wedding. JD helped move us along through the crowd and kept us from getting caught talking to anyone for too long -- it was hilarious/SO useful to have a photographer that also acted as a private security guard.

He is also just a genuinely nice person that I am happy to know.

I could go on. But I have hundreds of gorgeous photos to review again and again. Thank you JD for preserving our memories for us in the most spectacular way.

Sent on 01/08/2019

Cassidy · Married on 11/04/2017

JD was the MVP of our wedding - and everyone agreed! He not only was a wonderful photographer, but put me, my family and wedding party at ease. His photos aren't only gorgeous but tell a story. I can't recommend him enough!

Sent on 02/07/2018
  • Kristen

Kristen · Married on 10/28/2017

The Most Incredible Photographer!

I'm writing this review a little late (almost two years late to be exact - ahem!), but still, better late than never!

I'd known of J.D. since he did my sister's wedding in Dallas back in 2015. And after seeing what an amazing job he did, I knew I had to get him for our wedding.

I live in Los Angeles, but even so, he made the process so easy. And let me say - there aren't enough words to describe what a truly incredibly job J.D. does.

For starters, he stayed way longer than we booked him for just so he could make sure to capture every single special moment. Everyone at the wedding loved him, and he's so nice and sweet - who wouldn't!

Then, after the wedding, he got us our pictures back so quickly - and they were GORGEOUS. So good, in fact, that we were actually featured in Junebug Weddings because of it! https://junebugweddings.com/wedding-blog/this-diy-smogshoppe-wedding-gives-a-subtle-nod-to-wes-anderson/

If you want the best of the best, look no further than J.D. Swiger. Not only will you come out of the experience with amazing photos, but you'll also come out of it with a lifelong friend.

We love you, J.D.! Thank you for your hard work and for always being so special!

Sent on 06/02/2019

Kelcey · Married on 06/09/2017

If you're looking for an amazingly talented photographer who will do whatever he can on your special day to make sure the bride and groom are happy and comfortable, LOOK NO FURTHER! Honestly, JD was at the top of our photographer budget, but after having him take our engagements and having him there on our wedding day, I would have paid even more. He was so professional and efficient the whole time. Our wedding coordinator didn't end up being as helpful as we wished, but JD really made it all okay! He answered all of our questions, even though most of them had nothing to do with the photography lol, and we both felt that his top priority was making sure we were comfortable and happy! And on top of all that, the pictures were even more beautiful than we imagined. We feel very lucky to have came across him, so if you've made it to this page, definitely reach out to him :)

Sent on 08/01/2017

Tina · Married on 02/25/2017

Ended up being featured in Junebug!

Having JD as our photographer was one of the best decisions we made as far as vendors for our wedding! My husband and I are not naturally comfortable in front of the camera, so JD's direction was a large part of why our pictures ended up looking so flattering ^_^ From our engagement pictures to our wedding day he exceeded our expectations. He is so friendly and makes you feel so comfortable.
    JD is also incredibly reliable. He's responsive and flexible, and interacts with the guests in a way that enhances the entire experience. We are so lucky with how creative and beautiful our photos are. They are unlike any other. In fact, Junebug weddings sought out our wedding for their blog after they happened across his photos- no submissions on our part! I also keep getting compliments about how beautiful our photos are every time someone sees one. People see it on the background of my phone and say “whoa that’s an amazing picture”. =)

Sent on 02/22/2019

Daniel · Married on 10/29/2016

Choosing John David as our wedding photographer was one of the best decisions my wife and I made together for our wedding on October 29, 2016. We met JD at a bridal event in July 2015 filled with countless other photographers, and all it took to make our final decision was a simple greeting from JD, “Hey I’m JD, and I am going to be your photographer.” From that moment on, we not only picked the BEST photographer ever but gained a lifelong friend. JD made us feel so comfortable and kept us at ease during our engagement shoot and our wedding day. He was quick with responding to emails and texts, and communication was never an issue when we were planning an Austin wedding living in Houston. It was so nice to have someone know where exactly to go and what exactly to do for the perfect photos because my wife and I, like a lot of couples planning a wedding for the first time, had no clue what to do. He made sure we were ok throughout the day, always checking up on how we were feeling, and it just felt all so natural and easy; that is SO important to have when the day seems nonstop with following the wedding day timeline. On behalf of our crazy wedding party, friends, and families, my wife and I want to thank JD from the bottom of our hearts for the way he captured such emotional, fun, beautiful, and raw moments during our day. His work is so powerful, and we are blessed to have these photos for the rest of our lives to reflect on. We HIGHLY recommend John David to be your photographer for ALL occasions. His genuine friendliness, big heart, and deep passion for his work are all you need during your big day!

Sent on 03/07/2017

Caitlin · Married on 09/03/2016

JD was fantastic to work with! For me, hiring the right photographer was extremely important. I wanted a photographer who would fit right in with me and my groom as well as my bridal party and family. JD was perfect for my wedding and I couldn't be happier with the beautiful pictures he took. He is professional, has an eye for detail and worth every penny spent! I am so happy that I chose JD to shoot my wedding and would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a great wedding photographer!

Sent on 09/13/2016

Elisabeth · Married on 08/13/2016

JD was so professional to work with and gave us great instructions on how to pose. He was super fast with the editing and uploaded the pictures to his blog in the following week. I would definitely recommend working with him!

Sent on 11/09/2015

Kelli · Married on 05/21/2016

JD did such an amazing job with our engagements, bridals and wedding photos! It is hard to find someone that makes you feel comfortable in front of the camera and captures such raw and beautiful photos. On the wedding day JD was so organized, I barely even noticed he was there. I can't complement him enough on his professionalism, easy going personality and most importantly his talent.

Sent on 10/25/2016

Holly · Married on 04/23/2016

I say this not having our photos back yet, but I loved working with JD on our wedding day. He has a great eye for good photos and took us to some interesting locations, but I am confident the photos will be fabulous. He helped get everyone in line for photos and was fun to work with.

Sent on 05/10/2016

Alicia · Married on 04/02/2016

I wish I could give JD more than 5 stars. He is an amazing photographer that has a spectacular talent to capture a wedding day. I am a semi-professional photographer so obviously, the photographer was the most important part of our day. I am so so glad that I chose JD as that photographer. He was fun, energetic, easy to work with and excited to be there. My favorite part was when he was rushing me and frolicking in a field to get the last remaining light from the day which turned out to be some of my favorite pictures from the day. You're amazing, JD. As a photographer and a person and I can't thank you enough!!

Sent on 05/03/2016
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 03/19/2016

We loved having JD as our photographer and if we could give him 100 stars, we would! Photography was extremely important to us and I knew JD was our guy after seeing his portfolio - he was also very flexible on time and location which was another bonus. He captured all of the special in-between moments and was a pro at quickly gathering a large family for wedding photos. Our families were blown away by the emotion in his photos! My mom, who is quite hard to please, even told me the day after the wedding that she was so impressed with JD - he worked hard the entire day to make sure every moment was documented.

My husband and I aren't comfortable in front of a camera but JD made it all so easy (and whoa, we looked great in our wedding photos!). We did our engagement photos with him which helped us get to know him before the big day. I had no worries on our wedding day with photography. JD was on time and very responsive to any email or phone call. Our photos are better than anything I could have imagined! If I could pick the best wedding planning decision, it would be hiring JD. Hands down.

Sent on 04/18/2016

Erica · Married on 02/26/2016

Wow. The first time we saw JD's work, we were randomly searching Austin photographers and his website came up. Just from the homepage of his website I knew the quality of his work was unbelievably high. I didn't think we could afford him, but we reached out anyway. From that moment, JD was SO flexible in helping to get us within our budget. We were ecstatic to learn that we could have the photographer of our dreams AND stay within our budget. JD shot our engagement photos as well as our February wedding. JD is so sweet, professional and humble. He is a true artist and goes wherever the light leads him. We received our engagement photos just 3 days after shooting them and our wedding photos in 3 weeks! They are all so stunning. We love them and have received so many compliments not only on JD's work but on how amazing he was at the wedding - helping out wherever we needed. He is a joy to work with and would recommend him without hesitation to anyone looking for a photographer that will deliver the highest quality and service. We are so lucky to have found him. Our photos have allowed us to relive the best day of our lives over and over again. He was worth every penny and so so so much more! Seriously, don't hesitate to contract JD for your wedding, you will not regret it!

Sent on 03/21/2016

My maid of honor recommended JD to us for our wedding and it was the single best decision that we made for our wedding. The pictures that he took for our engagement and at our wedding were amazing! I was a super overwhelmed bride and I wasn't sure what we should have done for pictures and JD took all the pictures I wanted and even ones that I didn't know I wanted. He got along so well with all my family members and took any difficulties in stride! We loved his work and him!

Sent on 03/19/2016

Megan · Married on 01/30/2016

I met John David over a year ago at the January 2015 Austin Bridal Extravaganza. The things that really stood out to me apart from his amazing work was that he was an Aggie and that he didn't have any time restraints, which was really different than all the photographers that I had looked into. None of the other photographers really stood out in comparison after I met him. So after talking with my fiance, I got in touch with him fairly quick afterwards, and booked him for our engagement portraits, my bridal portraits, and then the wedding. JD was super flexible finding a date that worked out for engagement portraits. We took our engagement portraits in downtown Bryan, an area that he had photographed other couples before. We were soooo clueless when it came to what to do, but JD put us completely at ease - telling us exactly what to do. It was insanely hot outside, but JD made it really fun; he even had us climbing fences (which actually turned out to be some really sneaky, but cute shots!) Bridal portraits were also great as well. Smiling and posing can get old really quick, but JD makes the time go by really fast. The turnaround getting the pictures back was super fast, too. We absolutely LOVED all of our pictures as did our families and friends. We incorporated our engagement pictures in so many ways for our wedding because we loved them so much - on our website, our save the dates, and even our guest book and the table numbers at our wedding. For the wedding day, JD offered to get photographs while we were all getting ready in the morning and stayed to the end of the reception. I was worried about everyone getting tired of taking pictures, but JD knows what he's doing and he makes it fly by. I can't WAIT to see our wedding pictures, but I have no doubt that they are going to be awesome. Couldn't recommend John David more highly. He's such a sweet guy with some seriously amazing talent. So glad we found him!

Sent on 03/02/2016

JD is incredible at what he does! Our November wedding was the third time I had worked with JD and he just keeps getting better. He shot some family portraits for us in 2013, our engagement photos in Spring 2015. JD is great to work with; I trust that he does everything in his control to get the best shots of important moments, which is why we continue to use him and recommend him to our friends. JD is also very kind and funny! He does a great job managing people and making tough/awkward calls... as in, I wanted a photo of my divorced/combined family but knew it would be an uncomfortable request for me to make of them. JD stepped in right away and handled everything without batting an eye - thanks again, JD! Also, he has a great turn around time. I was very impressed by how quickly he finished our family portraits and engagement photos! And obviously the results are incredible. JD doesn't use a ton of filters/photoshop to edit his photos. He does a fantastic job creating perfect settings and working with the natural lighting and backdrops wherever he is taking photos. He makes it look so effortless when he is shooting, but the outcome is amazing! We love JD and are lucky to be able to call him a friend. We recommend him to anyone who is looking for invaluable, beautiful photos of special moments!

Sent on 11/25/2015

Casey · Married on 10/18/2015

JD was one of the best photographers I've ever worked with - and I've worked with a lot. I don't like a lot of the Pinterest-y cutesy posed stuff, and his style suited us to a T. And I think my mom has a crush on him ;-). He's young, vibrant, energetic, artistic, and one of be most talented people I've ever met. His candids are beautiful, and the posed shots he took of us were breathtaking. My venue was challenging - Reunion Tower in downtown Dallas. But he was excited to be there, and his excitement was infectious. Working with him was an absolute dream. Thank you so much, JD!!!

Sent on 11/10/2015

Taylor · Married on 10/10/2015

After being referred to JD from the Spicewood Vineyard vendor preferred list, I cannot imagine having anyone else capture both my bridal portraits and wedding day shots. JD felt like a member of the family just in the first 5 minutes of meeting him. He has such a talent for capturing the lighting and emotion behind every photograph. He went above and beyond his job, by helping me find a hairdresser for my bridals, fighting off the fire ants, and helping me feel calm and collected during my big day. JD is the most genuine and kind guy. Kyle and I are blessed to know him and have him be a part of our biggest day.

Sent on 10/12/2015

Megan · Married on 08/22/2015

JD is amazing, he is very easy to work with and his work is beautiful. We had an engagement shoot with him and I absolutely love the photos. He is also going to photograph our wedding day and he, unlike other photographers doesn't charge per hour but instead will stay until the event ends. I am very excited to have him at our wedding and I can't wait to see how our pictures turn out. I would absolutely recommend John-David Weddings!

Sent on 04/19/2015

Morgan · Married on 06/11/2015

JD was AMAZING for our engagement shoot and wedding! He was *by far* the best photographer we saw during our vendor search. His photos had a natural beauty that was so simple but seemed so hard for many other photographers to match. Although we had a strained budget, my husband and I said that our one item we'd be willing to splurge on was our photographer because we wanted really great photos to look back on for the rest of our life. JD was absolutely worth it.

I will say that he handled our wedding day like a champ! It was more hectic than I'd ever imagined and I know that didn't make his job any easier but he was so caring and helpful, while still focused on getting all the shots. We have just received our photos and they are a dream come true! If you're thinking about working with JD......just do it!!!

Sent on 07/08/2015

Kyndal · Married on 05/31/2015

For my new husband and I, choosing the right wedding photographer was the most important vendor decision we made during the wedding planning process. From the moment we began dreaming of our wedding day, we knew that after it was all said and done the thing that mattered most was always being able to look back and reminisce well on our special day. We wanted a photographer who could tell our story through their work, capturing every detail of our day in a beautiful and simple way. JD exceeded our expectations from day one of meeting him. We were so impressed by his professional attitude combined with his exceptional talent and kind spirit. He was always quick to respond to emails, answering any questions or responding to any concerns I had leading up to the wedding day. On the actual day of our wedding, JD was so much more than just a photographer. Amidst his role of snapping endless amounts of photographs for us and ensuring we took advantage of the best outdoor lighting, he was also there to provide last-minute assistance to the bridal party and to my husband and I when we needed it most. He gracefully navigated through the demands of our day with such poise and professionalism and still delivered the most BEAUTIFUL wedding photos we have ever seen. We cannot stop looking at our pictures, and we have received so many compliments on how great of a job JD did at telling our story through his photos. He has such a gift for capturing truly stunning images. We are SO thankful we chose JD to capture these forever memories of our special day for us!!

Sent on 07/07/2015

Kenna · Married on 05/30/2015

JD is an amazing photographer, and I'm so glad we booked him for our wedding! He captured all the details and so many happy memories for us. I love the dramatic lighting and colors he captures in his pictures. I highly recommend JD! :)

Sent on 10/29/2015