Jay McElfresh Reviews

111 | Brooklyn, NY

111 Reviews for Jay McElfresh

Kristen · Married on 10/03/2020

You owe it to yourself to work with Jay

We interviewed a lot of DJs for our wedding and Jay really stood out from the rest. He was so accommodating, is incredibly talented, and not the least bit cheesy like some other wedding DJs can be. We ended up having to cancel our wedding due to COVID, but know for sure we will be calling Jay in the future.

Thanks for being a breath of fresh air!

Sent on 09/03/2020
  • Thomas

Thomas C. · Married on 02/12/2020

Can't Go Wrong With DJ Jay!

DJ Jay was a fantastic addition to our wedding! He made planning out the music for the evening incredibly fun and easy. He was very accommodating of our many ideas for the music, and we trusted him to create the energy and vibe of the whole event based on our suggestions. He seamlessly transitioned from the ceremony, to cocktail hour, to dinner, and to one hell of a dance party! DJ Jay is also a great MC, very communicative, organized, and made the night flow flawlessly.

Sent on 01/04/2020

Ella M. · Married on 11/10/2019

10/10 would recommend :)

We're so happy that we found Jay to DJ our wedding. He made the process of curating our playlist so easy and made sure that the vibe of our wedding was exactly like we planned. Jay also made the flow of the evening work perfectly. We would recommend Jay to anyone :) THANK YOU JAY!

Sent on 12/28/2019

Ashleigh F. · Married on 11/01/2019

The best day ever!

Our wedding was the best day of our lives and the music was a huge part of it. I started planning our wedding while living on the other side of the world, but Jay was super flexible with his time to make sure we could chat ahead of time, which I greatly appreciated. As the wedding neared, we filled out a music questionnaire and had a call to go over requests, do not plays, the timeline of the day and how to pronounce everyone’s names. He asked what artists my now husband and I like to get a feel for our day. The direction I gave him was anything we can dance too, top 40 and top 40 when I was in college - so, pretty vague. Jay absolutely crushed it all night! The dance floor was packed for hours, each song being better than the next. My one friend said she couldn’t even eat dinner because even the music during the dinner session was too good. People commented all throughout the night that they were having the best time on the dance floor and were still getting texts from people saying how much fun they had. The best man gave a toast that referenced a song and after our last song was played, the usual one more song chant started. Jay played the song mentioned and the crowd went wild. We did not plan that at all and it was absolutely the perfect way to end the night. Long review short, you need Jay at your wedding - his ability to get and keep the party going has to be unmatched and he’s extremely easy to work with and be around. We cannot thank Jay enough for making our night the best ever!

Sent on 11/03/2019
  • Hope

Hope R. · Married on 10/26/2019

Still thinking about how good the music was!

DJ Jay McElfresh made our wedding party a non-stop party! We hired him after hearing him at a friend’s wedding, even though our tastes differ greatly. We were blown away by his ability to keep the energy of the wedding so high and read the crowd so well. He was able to MC the event perfectly without being too overbearing.I also really appreciated Jay taking the time to speak to us before the wedding to make sure he knew how to pronounce the names of everyone in the wedding party. Everyone told me they loved the music and asked if we gave him a playlist. The truth was, we met with Jay 1 time and he seemed to just “get” us. He gave us a worksheet to fill out and we gave a few favorite artists, but from that he crafted an incredible playlist. One guest also told us “I could really hear everything, the sound equipment was incredible.” I cannot express enough how amazing and talented he is!! Everyone who has Jay DJ their event is extremely lucky and hiring the best.

Sent on 11/02/2019
  • Alissa

Alissa E. · Married on 10/18/2019

Best Wedding DJ EVER!

DJ McElfresh did an amazing job at our wedding in late October 2019 at the Flander’s Hotel in Ocean City, New Jersey. Jay was efficient and excellent in his organization and communication leading up to the big day, as well as providing so many helpful suggestions throughout the planning of our reception. Not to mention, he was willing to travel over 100 miles just to host our wedding reception. DJ McElfresh did an incredible job on the night of our wedding! Jay had everyone up on the dance floor and managed to accommodate for our preferred traditions. All our guests raved about the great music selections he played and how he read the room to keep the party going. Thank you Jay for making our wedding reception so special and flawless!!! We highly recommend DJ McElfresh for any of your future events. - Alissa & Matt

Sent on 12/22/2019

Natalie S. · Married on 09/21/2019

The most flawless part of the wedding

Jay was unavailable the day of our wedding so he set us up with another of his DJs, Cousin Cole, and we had a perfect experience with Cole. Super easy to work with leading up to the day of, despite me knowing next to nothing about music. He incorporated our suggestions when we had them, but was happy to pitch ideas when we didn't. We were too busy before the wedding to check in at all, and yet everything about the music was completely flawless, and we were getting compliments on the music selection all night.

Sent on 10/21/2019

Erica · Married on 09/11/2019

So wonderful

Jay was an incredible DJ. He was absolutely fantastic to work with, both before and at the wedding. My husband and I are just bummed that we don't have another wedding to plan because we wish we could work with him again!

Sent on 12/23/2019
  • Kaitlin

Kaitlin · Married on 07/19/2019

Our Guests Can't Stop Talking about the Music

Music was an important aspect of our wedding for us and Jay truly made it a perfect night of music, dancing, and fun! Everyone kept talking about how awesome our DJ was and we could not have agreed more!

Jay met with us and got an understanding of what we wanted and then was also so attentive to what our guests were feeling that night. Guests of all ages were up on the dance floor! There were so may sing-a-longs on the dance floor and some crowd surfing to the Cranberries sprinkled in haha!!! My husband and I didn't leave the dance floor once! If you don't want your average cheesy MC type wedding and just want to have fun with your friends and family, Jay is the way to go!

Sent on 08/13/2019
  • Jessica

Jessica F. · Married on 07/14/2019

Smartest decision of our wedding

Wow. WHERE TO BEGIN. I worked two weddings with Jay in Brooklyn (I'm a wedding photographer) and knew he was going to be my DJ before I was even engaged. I even asked him DURING the first wedding (again, before I was engaged) if he would travel to Philadelphia to DJ my future wedding.

Trust me when I say this-Jay is the best. Stop reading reviews and just book him!!! I've only ever worked with one DJ that even comes close to being as good as Jay.

Leading up to the wedding he was hilarious, professional, honest and just made the experience so easy. Throughout the wedding, I kept saying "how did he do that?! he's so good!!!" when he would transition from one song to another that in my mind wouldn't necessarily make sense but, when he did it, it was perfect. There wasn't a single weird transition or awkward silence, and there was definitely no corny MC-ing. All our guests loved him. I'm without a doubt going to continue to recommend him to my couples whenever I get the chance.

Sent on 07/26/2019
  • U

Unnati D. · Married on 07/03/2019

Amazing DJ!

Jay was amazing! Totally got our vibe and played all our favorite stuff. Great to chat with him beforehand to give him the run of show and a list of our requested songs. Couldn’t recommend him more highly!

Sent on 07/29/2019
  • Y

Yana M. · Married on 06/29/2019

Best DJ Ever!

We hired Jay for our recent wedding in Brooklyn and it was the best decision ever! From our very first consultation, Jay totally got our vibe and we knew we were in good hands. He provided us with a really helpful wedding worksheet and went over it with us in detail prior to the wedding to make sure we were on the same page.

Fast forward to the night of our wedding and OMG it was just a non-stop dance party!! Jay completely knocked it out of the park! I couldn’t feel my feet for the next 2 days I was dancing so much! Jay was also an awesome emcee - getting everyone’s attention when necessary and making sure we stuck to our timeline without being cheesy or over the top. All our guests raved about how awesome he was as well!

If you want your wedding to be a non stop dance party like we did, you’ve found your guy!

Sent on 07/03/2019

Allegra T. · Married on 06/28/2019

Jay was wonderful -- best DJ out there!

ay was truly fantastic! After our initial emails and conversation with Jay, we had total confidence that he understood what we were looking for in a DJ. Jay was extremely communicative and showed a great deal of care and responsibility for our big day. Most importantly, Jay read the crowd well, and played memorable and perfect sets that had the whole wedding dancing the night away. We can't recommend Jay enough!

Sent on 08/22/2019
  • taylor

Taylor · Married on 06/01/2019

Simply The Best. Look No Further!

Stop looking for a DJ for your wedding. You found him. It's Jay McElfresh. And with a dope name like that, who could compete?!

My husband and I can't say enough good things about Jay. Long story short - he #SLAYED! He is everything you want in a DJ - he listens to your "do not play list", he pulls from the playlist/list of songs that he asks that you curate for him during the planning phase, and he takes the time to get to know you and your spouse. BONUS -He is super stylish and sounds smooth as hell on the mic (the opposite of many DJ who are over-the-top, corny and literally sound like auctioneers on the mic).

From the very beginning we knew Jay was our guy. He took the time to chat with my husband and I about our expectations, taste in music, and overall vision. He also had us complete a Music Worksheet which was super helpful to iron out all the details like wedding party announcements, couple's first dance, parent dances, toasts, and most importantly to detail the songs we would love to hear/genres we love, and to document the songs that would make us run from the dance floor for the "do not play list".

On top of everything, he made sure he had our timeline handy and even arrived a couple hours early to help our Violinist set up for our ceremony and performed a sound check with both her and our Officiant. He truly went above and beyond!

Jay is truly an expert in what he does, a real professional and overall cool dude. You will love working with him and your guests will be out on the dance floor all night! Book him :)

Sent on 06/14/2019

Sarah I. · Married on 05/18/2019

Jay is the best!

Jay DJ'd our wedding last weekend in CT and was the BEST.
    From our first communication, he was SO easy and helpful to work with. We had an in-person meeting many months before the wedding and, filled out a questionnaire a few weeks before the wedding to finalize our music selection, and then did a final call with Jay to go over the details. He is super organized and professional - a big relief to a busy bride!
    My main concern in the weeks leading up to the wedding was the order of the reception (when to do speeches, when to cut cake, when to do dances?!) and Jay really, really helped me finalize the timeline. He is a real pro with tons of experience.
    On the day of, he was fun, professional, and flexible. His emceeing skills are also excellent and everything went according to schedule! Most importantly, everyone had so much fun and the dance floor was crowded all night long.
    I just have to think up another event to be able to book Jay again...

Sent on 05/21/2019

Christopher N. · Married on 05/04/2019

A pleasure to work with and an excellent DJ

We couldn't be happier with our choice of Jay as our wedding DJ. We spent a lot of time researching and interviewing DJs over several months. It was super important to us to find someone who had good taste, was flexible with our needs, who cared about making our experience personal, and who wasn't over-the-top with their style. When we got off our first phone call with Jay, we felt immediately comfortable and confident we found the right person. And our actual experience with Jay fulfilled all of those initial impressions. Jay was very responsive, was very accommodating our many requests (even when they changed last minute), and provided great feedback throughout our planning process. My biggest desire was to have a DJ set that kept everyone on the dance floor the whole night and, with a mixed culture and multi-generational wedding, that wasn't necessarily an easy task. But through a lot of collaborative planning, Jay expertly executed the setlist to where the dance floor was absolutely packed and energized the entire night. So many people told us afterwards how much they enjoyed the music and how it was one of the best dance floors they'd ever experienced. My completely soaked-through shirt was the ultimate testament to how much fun we had. Would definitely recommend and use Jay again.

Sent on 05/17/2019
  • Chantal & Harold

Chantal H. · Married on 04/19/2019

Super Cool DJ Great Experience

We worked with DJ Mikey Palms specifically and it was a wonderful experience. We really wanted to make sure that people had a good time and just enjoyed themselves. That definitely happened. He made sure the dance floor stayed packed and that the vibe stayed upbeat and lively.

He also worked with us really closely in making the playlist and made sure that every aspect of the wedding, not just the reception, was handled perfectly. It was amazing. It was great working with Mikey and I highly recommend him and DJ McElfresh's services/

Sent on 07/20/2019
  • Beau

Beau A. · Married on 02/23/2019

Jay McElfresh A+++++

Jay was a fantastic DJ. Easy to work with leading up to the event, left us feeling very assured and heard during the preparation process. Did a fantastic job at the wedding MCing and DJing. Music was a highlight of the night for all the guests. A++++

Sent on 03/24/2019

Christina · Married on 12/28/2018

The best dj

Jay was absolutely amazing. He was so communicative and flexible, as we are from Maryland and had our wedding on Long Island. He understood our style and what we wanted, and kept people dancing all night! We loved watching him have fun, too! Thank you, Jay!

Sent on 12/30/2018
  • Gabrielle

Gabrielle G. · Married on 10/27/2018

V+G at Blue Hill at Stone Barns

Jay was the perfect DJ to work with from start to finish. From the moment we first met with him to review our wedding timeline and review our music choices, he made us and those involved in the ceremony feel confident and excited for the big day. He totally understood our music choices and was able to play everything from classic Billie Holiday to David Bowie to The Cranberries and everything in between. He was very aware of timing and did an excellent job pacing the reception from the toasts to the first dance to party time. He kept our crowd dancing until midnight and they ranged in age from 26 to 86-- no one left early!

Sent on 11/03/2018

Andrew G. · Married on 10/06/2018

One of the best wedding planning decisions we made

Jay was awesome. Before our wedding, he spent time with us understanding what we wanted and guiding us towards good choices. He also helped track down instrumental covers of a few songs. On the wedding day, he was flawless--on time, played great music that aligned with our tastes, managed a fun hora and overall kept a great party going, We are so glad we hired him.

Sent on 12/01/2018

Jen · Married on 10/05/2018

Best. Dj. Ever.

My husband and I decided early on that music was one of the most important things to us about our wedding day and because we're both very particular about the kind of music we like (and hate), we assumed that finding the right DJ would be an arduous process. Jay was the first person we met with when beginning our search and we liked him and trusted him so much that we hired him immediately before even meeting with anyone else. He came into the first meeting with an air of competence that he carried throughout the entire planning process up until the last song. He listened to and genuinely cared about our song requests and asked all of the right questions to extrapolate our list into hours of music that we and our guests loved and danced to all night. Maybe even more importantly, he really, truly paid attention to the music we didn't want played and then created a list of similar artists to ask about ahead of time to see whether they would also be off limits, some which we hadn't even thought of but definitely would not have liked. He showed up prepared and professional but ready for a party and kept the entire ceremony and reception on perfect pace. His ability to feel out the crowd and make the necessary adjustments to keep people dancing allowed us to relax and enjoy the party without having to worry whether people were having a good time. One of our guests even came up to us during the reception and told us that ours was the best wedding playlist he had ever heard. Another person was so impressed with him that they asked us if we thought he'd consider flying to North Carolina for their wedding. My husband and I woke up the next morning with blisters on our feet and my wedding dress broken from dancing so hard. To be short, Jay was amazing. He was everything we were looking for and then some. If you're looking for the kind of party that leaves your guests telling you their muscles are sore the next day from so much dancing, HIRE HIM.

Sent on 01/10/2019

Michael · Married on 09/29/2018

Awesome & Professional!

Jay was awesome! Very professional and easy to work with. Highly recommended. He's got a good pulse on the party and a wide variety of genres to play from. His detail oriented process made it easy for us to enjoy the night and not have to worry about the music. Book him. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 11/09/2018
  • O

Olga · Married on 09/28/2018

Jay was great through out the entire music planning process. He was very responsive and gave feedback on the music we selected. The day of (9/28/18), he was high energy and kept everyone on the dance floor the entire night. He came early to chat with our day of coordinator and set up to make sure everything would go smoothly for our ceremony. We would definitely recommend him to anyone getting married.

Sent on 10/06/2018

Ben · Married on 09/23/2018

Jay did an amazing job and had everyone dancing at our wedding, from kids to grandparents, and most especially our friends. Music is very important to us and we got compliments on the music from many of our guests. He was effective and professional as an emcee, he kept the event to schedule and people knew what to expect. There was a minor timing issue with our dessert and he quckly adapted the schedule, everything flowed perfectly and our guests were none the wiser. He was friendly and easy to work with from our first call to our last song. He easily figured out our musical taste with little effort from us, and he did a great job reading the room. We would enthusiastically recommend him for your event!

Sent on 09/25/2018