James Johnson, photographer Reviews

6 | Marina del Rey, CA

6 Reviews for James Johnson, photographer

Patty · Married on 01/17/2016

I’m not sure there are enough superlative words to recommend James. A friend of mine recommended James—her wedding photos looked fabulous, and I also knew her lighting was difficult. My husband and I met with him to see his book and we were sold. Super-cool guy, and super-fun, which we were all about because we had an over-the-top, ridiculous Roaring 20’s theme. We didn’t want the traditional stuff - we wanted more like a big, fun, fancy dress party with a wedding thrown in. We did an engagement shoot at Venice Beach which was laid-back and fun, and we got some great shots which we used in our save-the-dates.

We threw a lot of stuff at James for the wedding, though. We wanted nice posed pix of the family / wedding party, a couple of pix that look like they were actually taken in the 1920s, and I wanted him to capture the antics of our crazy performer friends (and family), but also make our non-performer friends and family feel at ease. Oh, and the wedding was an evening wedding, indoors and outdoors (a penthouse apartment with a huge terrace and many rooms for guests to wander around in), in the middle of January…dark dark dark…and we didn’t want him to walk around with a load of lighting equipment. Oh, and we paid for the wedding ourselves and were on a strict budget.

All I can say is AMAZING. UH - MAY - ZING. I could not be more thrilled. James fit right into the spirit of the day, capturing the craziness that went on throughout the night, and making us all look fantastic. I’m in my 40’s and I don’t know how he worked this out with available lighting, but these are the first photos in years where I didn’t feel like I need to Photoshop myself!!
    There are SO many good ones - hard to choose what to put in our photo albums! He caught so many incredible moments throughout the venue and outside - he must have been in several places at once. Plus, his prices are surprisingly reasonable. Seriously, hire James - you will be so happy you did!

Sent on 03/14/2016

Reanna · Married on 10/18/2013

James is AMAZING! I cannot say enough positive things about this man. Not only does he have the best personality, being funny, kind and friendly, but his work is exceptional! I am more than happy with the photographs he took at my wedding. He has the ability to capture special moments, all while using his skills to make his photos artistic. I have received dozens upon dozens of compliments about my wedding pictures. Some people have even said they are the best wedding photos they have ever seen. He was very professional and super helpful! He knows weddings, so he was able to help figure out the time frame for pictures and get them done. He was even able to manage my wedding party of 20 people!! He was kind enough to work out a price we can both be happy with. If you need a photographer for anything, you will not be sorry if you use this man!

Sent on 11/08/2013

Jackie · Married on 09/18/2010

Great guy, great personality, very creative, very beautiful pictures. A little on the pricier side but VERY worth it!

Sent on 10/23/2010

Shannon · Married on 07/05/2008

did an amazing job and got all the shots we wanted!

Sent on 09/02/2008

Tim · Married on 08/16/1992

Definitely the award-winning photographer that he is! Everything he did was extremely professional, and he left me with a lasting memory of my wedding that I will be able to cherish for the rest of my life.

Sent on 04/18/2009

Maria · Married on 05/05/2007

3.5

Amazing pictures, fun to work with, professional and creative. We were extremely happy to work with James.

Sent on 05/16/2008