Island Style Weddings Reviews

Island Style Weddings 3
Island Style Weddings 4
Island Style Weddings 5

Cassi · Married on 02/07/2009

Mary was very attentive to details and we were more than satisfied with our wedding planning experience.

Sent on 04/02/2009

Joshua · Married on 08/05/2011

3.0

Mary had everything ready for us when we arrived. We didn't have a lot to stress about and the timing, venue and ceremony were great. She made sure everything was perfect for our day, and our photos and video are amazing! It was truly a day we will never forget! I would recommend Mary to anyone wanting to do a destination wedding in the islands. She can provide you with everything you need for your day and you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 10/01/2011

Bisher · Married on 11/05/2010

Perfect way to have a stress-free wedding. Mary makes it easy.

Sent on 12/13/2010

Jenny · Married on 04/18/2015

4.2
      3.5

Mary and her team did a great job with our wedding. We got married on Trunk Bay and had our reception at the Terrace, and everything was beautiful. She made planning our destination wedding very easy. We had a few hiccups along the way, but she handled everything very professionally, and everything turned out great in the end. She has exquisite taste and is very well-respected in the community. She is very honest with her opinions, and I appreciated that!

Sent on 07/02/2015

Amy · Married on 05/01/2008

3.0

We had a wonderful ceremony, and it was completely hassle-free.

Sent on 03/25/2009

Island Style Weddings's reply:

Hi Abby, I have no record of your wedding on May 1, 2008- can you please tell me your husbands name- the only wedding I performed on May 1, 2008 was for Tina and Carl- please update me, Mary

Stephanie · Married on 01/24/2009

3.8
      2.5

When we received our disc with the professional photographs in the mail, we were disappointed. Most of the pictures were of my back end (the bride). The pictures of my face were not good and taken at bad times.
    Our ceremony was beautiful, but we and our families felt rushed and pushed around.
    Everything else was splendid! The videographer was excellent!
    Loved the cake! The set up at the restaurant afterwards was perfect! Loved the flowers and our pastor was so great!
    Thanks!

Sent on 03/29/2009
  • Y

Yvette · Married on 10/20/2008

3.8
      3.0

Mary was fantastic! I had booked her almost a year and a half before our wedding. She was great at answering all of my questions, my family’s questions, friends questions…I know I kept her inbox full! Her wedding packages made it really easy to see what different options you had in wedding locations, transportation, flowers, photography, videographer, and of course special touches to add to the ceremony. Her website was very helpful! She puts out all of the important information you need in applying for the marriage license to simple reminders about sunscreen to avoid funny tan lines. Mary really did do it all! From helping us choose our wedding location – flowers – transportation for us and all of our guests – photos – being our Officiate. We could not have asked for a better wedding planner!

Sent on 04/08/2009

Sharon · Married on 04/08/2010

3.2
      3.0

The wedding was great. However I expected a little more wedding planning services. Consider most wedding occurring on the island are for those couples who do not live there, you would expect the wedding planner to point out some suggests of additional services or things related to island weddings even if they are not part of the package. My package did not include flowers, so I had to asked if I could get flowers added. I also had to solicit her for suggestions of where I could get my hair and makeup done. As a first time bride and considering this was not a formal wedding, I expected a little more assistance in helping me make decisions about things I may not have thought of.

Also since I stayed in St. Thomas and not St. John, it was suggested I wear my dress on the ferry. This is not a good idea. I should have received some suggestions (not the public bathroom) on how I could get dress in St. John if I was not staying. However I was able to come up with a plan to get dress at the salon and have her meet me there.

Final comment is.......if Mary does not perform true wedding planning services, then the website should indicate that it is minimum assistance. Otherwise, the ceremony and setup with the photography was great!

Sent on 05/11/2010

Bonnie · Married on 07/10/2010

3.5

Let me begin by saying that my wedding was the happiest, best day of my life. We were in St. John, my husband's and my favorite place on earth, with 45 of our closest friends and family members. That in and of itself was enough to make it spectacular.

I almost hesitate to write this review because I don't in any way want to diminish what a wonderful day it was and an amazing time we had with all of our guests. However, I know my experience working with Mary could be helpful to all you brides-to-be looking for a wedding planner.

Positives about Mary
    1. She negotiated with the reception site vendor (Estate Concordia Preserve) to allow us bring in an outside caterer.

2. She was flexible enough to allow me to change locations 48 hours before the ceremony from the beach at Lameshur Bay to the ruins adjacent to the beach.

3. She did a tremendous job of setting up the ceremony site, setting up the centerpieces for the tables, and setting up the lighting around the reception site.

4. She made some really great referrals (The Tourist Trap to host our Welcome Party; a half-day sail on Breath; Grapevine Salon to do my hair; Jodi Yorston to do the photography).

5. She combed over all our invoices and pointed out any charges she thought were suspicious, which was great.

Negatives about Mary
    1. She has a very strong personality that can come across as pushy if you're not a super assertive bride. By the end of our reception, every single one of my guests knew who Mary was and more than one of them said she rubbed them the wrong way with how direct she was (my mother being one of them!). I think I would have liked a planner to have a more "behind the scenes" role and be a little more accommodating, but Mary was very front and center. I've been to several weddings that were organized by wedding planners, but I never remember noticing them.

2. Some of the vendors she uses I would not hire again (namely, the florist) because of lack of professionalism and suspicious pricing (see my review for more detail).

3. I sent her and the caterer several pictures of what I wanted the place settings to look like at the reception (the key detail was having our homemade menu cards tucked into napkin pockets and placed on top of the plates--pretty basic). Even though she insisted her team, and not the caterers, set up the tables at the reception site, I was disappointed when I arrived to find that aside from the floral centerpieces, all she had done was put a menu at each place and weighed them down with a few river rocks--there were no napkins, plates, or silverware on the tables at all. The look was underwhelming at best.

4. I had wanted a beach wedding, so Mary recommended Lameshur Bay as being the closest beach to our reception site. I had never been there before, so I relied on her to be my eyes and ears. I suggested hiring shuttles for our guests, which Mary told me would be a good idea. When I drove to the site for the first time, however, I realized that the roads were extremely bumpy--too bumpy to ride there without a seatbelt and feel safe. I told our guests they should feel free to drive if they felt more comfortable. However, when everyone met to go to the ceremony, Mary insisted that everyone drive in the shuttles (including my husband and his parents!!) since I had prepayed for a specific number of people. During the ride to the site, a tree branch went through the side of the shuttle and hit my father-in-law across the face. Since he was officiating, this was particularly unfortunate. He had a scrape on his nose that bled for a few minutes and delayed the ceremony. This could all have been avoided if Mary had been a little more flexible and assumed that the comfort and safety of my guests--and particularly my groom and his parents--was more important than the fact that I had already paid. I feel, too, that she should have been familiar enough with the site to recommend AGAINST hiring a shuttle service. There was plenty of parking available for the 10 or so cars that would have been required to get everyone to the ceremony.

5. We were working against a pretty short window of time for our reception (5:30-9:30), so Mary was anxious to get things started as quickly as possible. Because of that, she recommended that everyone except my husband and I leave right after the ceremony to start the cocktail hour, and my husband and I stay for pictures. I had a specific list of pictures I wanted our photographer to capture, but because Mary directed everyone to leave right after the ceremony, I wasn't able to get any of the more traditional shots of both my husband and I with our bridal party or my husband and I with my family and his. I have plenty of shots of us with our bridal parties and families individually (taken before the ceremony), but none of us all together. By the time we got to the reception site and joined the rest of our guests, people were in party mode and didn't really want to be corraled into pictures (myself included!). I wish I had been more assertive about insisting that the bridal party and immediate family stay with us after the ceremony for a few pictures. Our ceremony site was GORGEOUS and we definitely didn't take enough advantage of it. Our photographer would have liked more people to stay as well, but I think we all were a little afraid to challenge Mary (did I mention she has a strong personality?).

I think if you're a pretty assertive bride with a clear sense of what you want and don't want, and are not afraid to stand up for yourself, you'd do fine with Mary. If you're easily intimidated, I think you'd be happier with a wedding planner who is more sensitive to that.

Sent on 09/22/2010

Island Style Weddings's reply:

St John is one of the most beautiful locations in the world. The island is affectionately called “ Love City” for good reason. There are approximately 700 wedding ceremonies on St John each year. If you are dreaming of an island wedding, I hope that you will consider Island Style Weddings. We are honoured to be part of your special day. Congrats to Bonnie and Jay, we wish you many happy years ahead!