Icing on the Cakes Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2012 Winner

• Rachel
    Rachel C. Getting married on 04/09/2022

Delicious Cake!

Icing on the Cakes did an amazing job with our wedding cake. We had a 3 tier cake and chose 3 different flavors and they were all amazing! Debra was super flexible in letting us do a tasting two days before the wedding because we were out of town. The cake was AMAZING and looked gorgeous, it was exactly how I wanted it!
  • Kelly
    Kelly M. Married on 08/28/2021

Blown Away By Taste

I just stopped eating my leftover wedding cake from my 8/28/2021 wedding, and that's only because I couldn't figure out a way to pack it to bring back home. It was still good a week later. We had the most amazing key lime wedding cake that our guests were raving about (and they also happily took some home from the reception). Debra made the whole process so easy from start to finish. Even with Covid. We picked up a box of samples to try at our own pace, and I do suggest pacing, there were ten amazing flavors! But we immediately fell in love with the key lime. It was the perfect summer beach wedding flavor. And we went with a beach wedding themed cake, which turned out simply gorgeous. She was able to figure out what we wanted and make it happen, even with us planning from 6 hours away. And she kept the prices to a reasonable range.

I'll admit, I cared more about the cake than my flowers, decor, etc... I spent four years working in a bakery and decorating wedding cakes, so the cake was the one big piece I was concerned about, but Debra absolutely nailed it in both looks and taste (which let's face it is more important).

We can't wait to come back to OBX next year and order a key lime anniversary cake (none of that freezing stuff for us, we were too busy eating it!).
  • Megan
    Megan N. Married on 05/17/2021

Use Argyles for Cake AND Catering

We met Debra through her cake tasting and we ended up booking not only all the desserts with her team, but catering and bar services as well! The cake was absolutely amazing (we did Pina Colada, Key Lime, and Chocolates cakes) and we continue to get compliments on how good the food (Prime Rib, Chicken, and Coconut Shrimp) was at our wedding! Also, her staff paid special attention to the bride and groom as we where running around taking photos with guests, they brought us appetizers and drinks to keep us fed during the chaos of weddings. Would highly highly recommend Argyles/Debra's full catering service!
  • Arianna
    Arianna M. Married on 10/03/2019

Delicious!

When my now-husband and I did our cake tasting with Debra, we almost ate the whole tray of cake samples! The cakes were delicious! We went with two flavors, eclair and amaretto chambord. The cake was beautiful and delicious! Debra was able to make some gluten-free cupcakes for my sister who has Celiac disease. I was so happy that she had gluten-free options!
  • Terrie
    Terrie C. Married on 09/14/2019

Great Cake

Deb was great. We met with her for a tasting and she had lots of options for us to pick from. My husband is not a cake person - that's all me - and he loved the tiramisu wedding cake. She made the cake look like the beach and added little beach chairs on top. We did a couple of little finger desserts but the gelato bar was a HIT!! I totally recommend Deb (Icing on the Cake in North Carolina) and the gelato bar.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie S. Married on 09/14/2019

More than just cake!!!

My guests (and my husband & I) were INSANE about my cupcakes. FREAKIN DELICIOUS. And Debra is a hoot! Also, use Argyles Restaurant for your rehearsal dinner. I wish I could eat there every night if my life.

Icing on the Cakes's reply:

Thank you stephanie! We loved your family and friends too. Hope to see you. Next year on your anniversary. Have a great holiday season.
  • Angela
    Angela W. Married on 09/05/2019

Yummy cake!!

The cake we had for our wedding was a 3 tier cake which satisfied all of our tastes! Top was a vanilla gluten free, dairy free and egg free, which is talent already. Very moist and flavorful. Middle was pina colada, my daughters choice and bottom was peanut butter filling with chocolate cake, husbands choice. It was fun t try all the flavors. Very accommodating, when we had to move our wedding date up two days due to a hurricane. Greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • Stevie
    Stevie Married on 10/26/2018

Tasty Cake!

We had a small wedding of only 11 people so we ordered 2 dozen cupcakes. They were white cake with lemon icing and raspberry filling and chocolate with chocolate icing and peanut butter filling. They were delicious! We ate them for breakfast for two days after the wedding because why not?!? Fair price and great service! They were flexible with time for us to pick them up and take them to the restaurant.

HI Stevie

Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review! I as so glad that you enjoyed your cupcakes. Blessings on your new lives together.

Debra
  • Abby
    Abby Married on 09/21/2018

Delicious desserts and flawless communication/delivery

Debra makes delicious and beautiful cakes, it was hard to choose a style and flavor because they were all so good! Flawless communication and delivery of our cake.
    Ashley Married on 06/15/2018
    I absolutely LOVED my wedding cake! It was perfect for our beach wedding in the outer banks! Thank you Debra!
    Jackie Married on 04/28/2018
    We loved our cake! Debra did an amazing job creating our beach themed cake. We sent her a few pictures and she created her own vision and it was beautiful. The cake was delicious!
    Jennifer Married on 12/22/2017
    Working with Debra from Icing on the Cakes was a wonderful experience! Debra and I mainly communicated through emails and she was very quick to respond. When meeting Debra for the cake tasting, she was very personable and answered all of our questions. On the day of the wedding, our guests were complimenting our wedding cake and cupcakes since everyone loved the three different flavors of cupcakes that Debra made for us. The cake and cupcakes looked beautiful and tasted delicious! We couldn’t have asked for a better cake baker!
    Katie Married on 10/14/2017
    I cannot say enough good things about Debra and her cakes! I did three different flavors of cupcakes and then an anniversary tier, and everything was perfect! Not to mention, they deliver on the wedding day, so that was awesome too! We did a cake tasting with Debra in March and it was great to sit down with her and get to know her. She is a wonderful person and wonderful to work with. All of our guests raved about the cupcakes! My husband is obsessed with carrot cake, and Debra's passed his test, which says a lot! I could not be happier with the service she provided and the delicious cakes she provided! Thank you Debra for making the cake for my wedding day absolutely perfect!
    Heather Married on 10/06/2017
    We had a great experiene with Debra for our wedding cake & cupcakes! We had a tasting with her when we were in town and we got to try a whole bunch of flavor combos and it was just so hard to choose our favorites! We ended up getting a small anniversary tier to cut during our reception, and then about 50 cupcakes for our guests. Her assistant delivered everything to our venue and set it all up BEAUTIFULLY! I sent Debra a picture of a pinterest cake I loved and she re-created it beautifully! When we had our tasting we got to know Debra a little more on a personal level and you can just tell that she is incredibly passionate about her catering and her cake making! It truly is a labor of love for her. Not only were our guests telling us how delicious the cupcakes were, everybody was raving about how gorgeous the cake was! I would recommend Debra and her husband to anybody getting married in the OBX. I haven't tried her food, but she told us she only takes one catering job a day so she can give it her complete attention. That kind of dedication is hard to come by these days! Debra is a real gem.
    Jennifer Married on 05/13/2017
    Icing on the Cakes is amazing! When we sat down for our cake testing we instantly connected with Debra! She is so down to earth and absolutely amazing! She really listened to our requests in a wedding cake and gave her honest opinions on how to save money! She did everything EXACTLY how we wanted! I could not be more pleased!
  • Chris
    Chris Married on 10/08/2016
    We couldn't be happier with the job Debra did for our wedding! We ordered cupcakes and an anniversary tier and everything came out exactly how we had asked. Our guests loved the cupcakes and her fondant work on the anniversary tier was excellent. We gave her a few pics to guide her with what we wanted and she knocked it out of the park!
  • Erin
    Erin Married on 10/07/2016
    I am beyond amazed and grateful for the service that we received from Debra and Icing on the Cakes. Our wedding was during the week that Hurricane Matthew hit the OBX in October 2016. Debra was diligent about keeping up communication with me with the hurricane coming and wanted to make sure that our day was perfect! She was reliable and calm despite a hurricane barreling down on her town a short 12 hours after our reception ended. The cake was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS... I was eating it for breakfast quite a few days after the wedding! She was also able to create a beautiful cake from a picture that I had sent her. We went with a key lime cake with white chocolate mousse, chocolate grand marnier cake with chocolate mousse, and she made a special flavor for our anniversary tier... a butter rum cake! I am completely impressed with her professionalism and the quality of her work. I would highly recommend Debra to other OBX brides!
    Amy Married on 09/20/2016
    Debra was nothing but fantastic. I had to change the amount of cake I needed and it wasn't a problem. She even suggested that I have a blush cake being that my colors where navy and blush. The cake it self was beyond fantastic. Everyone raved about it. It was simply stunning and delicious. Thank you so much !!!!! - Amy Oddy

Icing on the Cakes's reply:

Thank you Amy! I am so glad that you and your guests enjoyed the cake. It was a pleasure making the cake for you. Happiness on your new lives together!

Debra
    Elizabeth Married on 09/17/2016
    Debra makes the best desserts on the OBX, hands down. She had so many cakes to chose from for our tasting, and it was so hard to narrow it down. We decided to go with just a single tier and 3 flavors of cupcakes, which were delicious. We also used Debra to provide our wedding with a gelato bar, the biggest hit at our wedding! We chose 5 flavors, which came with all the toppings, including 2 attendants that helped serve the gelato. This was a nice touch to the reception, and our guest are still talking about it. I highly recommend Debra for any cakes, cupcakes, and gelato!
    Carol A. Married on 09/04/2016
    Cake was amazing! Everyone was raving about it. We loved everyone at Argyles, and even had the best dinner our honeymoon night. The staff is so personable. We will definitely be back. "Best kept secret in the outer banks"!
    Stephanie Married on 06/10/2016
    We really enjoyed Icing on the Cakes/Argyles Catering. Working with Debra was easy, she was fast to respond to my questions, incredibly patient and flexible with me, as I'm incredibly indecisive. We opted for an Anniversary tier to cut, it was key lime, and then key lime, pina colada, and triple fudge kahlua for the cupcakes, and they were a huge hit! I sent her a picture of the cake style/decoration and she nailed it. We were married in Carova, and I was going to have them delivered, but she even suggested saving my money and having someone pick them up (which made me a little nervous)- they were packaged very nicely, no issues having a few family members transport them from Duck to Carova, so I appreciated her suggestion, and care to have them traveling without incident on the 4 x 4 beach. I would highly recommend icing on the cakes for your event - they were a big hit!
    Nicole Married on 05/23/2016
    LOVED LOVED LOVED our cake(s) from here! We got married on 5.23.16 at the Kitty Hawk Pier and had Debra make us a beautlful naked cake. I also got a grooms cake from her too. I don't think there was a person that came to our wedding weekend who wasn't impressed/obsessing over the cakes! Even at the cake tasting, Debra and her husband were so funny and sweet. It felt like just eating cake with old friends (bc people do that, right? Sit around and eat cakes? haha). I can't wait to make up an excuse to order another cake for the next time we're in time! Thank you again so much!
  • User2313393 2+ years ago
    I had no idea what I was doing when I planned the desserts for my wedding but I am very glad I chose Debra's Icing on the Cakes. I did not do a sample tasting before the wedding and wasn't sure if I'd regret that or not. At the wedding, the desserts were dropped off and everything looked amazing! We had a very small cake just for my husband and I and it was decorated beautifully. I am not a cake fan but it was also extremely good! My guests raved about the cookies and brownies as well. Debra was very responsive and basically told me she would take care of everything because she's been in this business for so long. I am glad I believed her and chose Icing on the Cakes to cater the desserts for my wedding! I highly recommend this company to anyone looking for baked goods.
  • User2308095 2+ years ago
    Was very professional, had the cake delivered and the cake showed up two hours early cause the was traffic in Duck was horrible. Was so glad they were concerned and did not want my cake to be late for my wedding !!
    Steve Married on 08/16/2015
    We did not use Icings on the cake for a traditional wedding cake, instead we opted for a gelato bar. This was more our style! The gelato was fabulous! The service we got through icing on the cakes was wonderful. They came early in the day to set the bar up so they wouldn't have to set up when the guests were at the reception. We even had some extra that we got to keep for the rest of the week!! We would recommend them to anyone that is looking for wedding desserts!!