HWu Studios Reviews

29 | Chicago, IL

29 Reviews for HWu Studios

Hannah Turnbaugh · Married on 08/09/2018

Hire Henry Now, Thank Me Later!

Working with Henry was an absolute pleasure - start to finish. He is kind, creative, talented and so easy to work with!

The level of quality he puts into his work is truly unparalleled, and we've found ourselves saying (on multiple occasions) that Henry was the best money we spent on our wedding day. I was extremely picky about the aesthetic I was looking for (aka nothing cheesy) and I wouldn't change a single thing about Henry's vibe, editing, etc.

Book him! I promise you will not regret it.

Oh! One last thing... I can't forget about his photo booth services! It was by far the best set up I've seen at a wedding. The photo strips are customizable, super quick and easy. Plus he gives you digital copies of all the photos!

Sent on 05/14/2019

caroline · Married on 08/04/2018

The videos Henry produced made us feel like we were reliving our wedding

Henry and his team did an unbelievable job filming our wedding (8/4/2018). He brought along a partner so they got multiple angles of our ceremony, speeches, etc. The quality of the video is unbelievable - it felt like movie quality! I can’t say enough good things about his final product - it was just incredibly well-done.

We also used his photo booth services and I thought it was totally seamless!

The only minor complaint I have was that it took a while to get the videos (believe we received the highlight film around 11/20/2018 and the final product around 5/5/2019) but after watching them, I understand why. I wholeheartedly recommend Henry and his team!

Sent on 08/05/2019

Jeannie · Married on 07/15/2017

I don't see how you can't not book Henry to shoot your wedding day. Not only is he ridiculously nice but pretty much everything out there pales in comparison to his technique, artistry and ability to be in a room without being noticed. That last trait was key for us considering I have a fiancé who doesn't like to be filmed! We so enjoyed working with him (and Justin- he was awesome too!) and would recommend him to anyone who wants their day filmed beautifully and authentically.

Sent on 07/18/2017

Josh · Married on 11/12/2016

Henry was wonderful! Neither of us felt comfortable with being filmed, but he made us feel at ease. We'd definitely recommend Henry!

Sent on 04/16/2017
  • F

Felicity · Married on 10/29/2016

From the moment we met Henry it was clear how professional and passionate he was about his job. We met with Henry once before signing the contract to make sure we had the same vision in mind and everything matched up perfectly. After watching all of Henry's videos online multiple times we had no doubt he was the one to capture our wedding. Henry is an incredibly humble person who has an amazing talent of capturing the most special, tender, and genuine moments of the entire day. Henry was there without making himself obvious, it was easy to forget we had a videographer at all! After the wedding we were so excited to see our video and he exceeded our expectations. My husband and I have watched it more times then we can count and still get choked up each and every time. After sharing it with family and friends, we have had so many people who weren't even at the wedding praise Henry's work and say they feel as though they shared our day with us. Not only is Henry incredibly talented, he is a genuinely kind and caring individual who has given us the opportunity to relive the perfect day for the rest of our lives. We would recommend Henry to anyone getting married, he's the perfect addition to any wedding.

Sent on 04/24/2017

Erica · Married on 08/20/2016

I absolutely recommend Henry to anyone looking for a great videographer. My husband and I found out about Henry through our photographer, and we are so glad we did! His films are stunning and when he sent us our highlight video, we got to relive our day in the best way possible. We found ourselves laughing, crying, and smiling the whole time - Henry captured our day perfectly and the video represents us and our families so well. On the day of the wedding, Henry and his crew were fantastic. They blend in and go unnoticed and capture every moment so wonderfully. His videos are truly a work of art and worth every penny.

Sent on 01/04/2017

CeCe · Married on 07/16/2016

We frantically found Henry 3 weeks before our wedding and we are SO thankful that we did! He is so personable, just a great guy to have around on your wedding day. Not to mention the feature film he made for us is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. He captured every emotion of our wedding day...happiness, excitement, nervousness, passion, laughing, crying, and, most of all, love. He captured the fun moments, special moments, intimate moments, you name it. And most of the time I didn't even realize he was around to film it all. I don't have the words to express how talented Henry and his crew are..he created the perfect film, a film that will forever remind my husband and I of exactly how we felt that day.

I highly recommend Henry for any wedding!

Sent on 11/27/2016

Keshena · Married on 06/12/2016

Henry Wu is AMAZING! When I was looking for a videographer, I only wanted someone to film my ceremony. Henry was the only person willing to only film the ceremony without me paying for the full day package. From the get go, he was professional, personable, and super laid back. I knew we were in for amazingness ( I eventually changed my mind and had him film the whole day). I had probably seen every one of his videos before my wedding, so I thought I knew what I was going to expect, but when I got my highlight video, we were blown away! The fact that he was able to capture the emotion and meaning of our wedding day in a 3 minute video was incredible. The video quality alone is top notch ( many people pointed this out), and he makes each video personal to each couple he films. It really bothers me when I see a video with a couple being all lovey dovey and there's some romantic song in the background. Totally fine, if that's your style, but I knew I didn't want that. I wanted a video that was personal to my husband and I, and Henry went above and beyond. Our ceremony and reception video is absolutely incredible. I love that Henry put a mic on my husband, because you can hear our little conversations we had during the ceremony. It brought us back to that day and even brought to light things we said that we didn't remember! :) Henry is the best of the best. I'm so glad I chose him to film our special day, and I will cherish these videos and be thankful to Henry for the rest of my life.

Sent on 04/25/2017

jessica · Married on 03/05/2016

If I could have Henry document every major event in my life, I would. The entire journey, leading up to the wedding, the day of the wedding, and watching the finished product...I could not have been more lucky to have chosen Henry to help me. He was extremely accommodating during the planning process. Our work schedules are inconsistent, but Henry was always willing and met with us past working hours. Our wedding day was packed with events, from the tea ceremony, the door games, and the actual wedding itself. Henry captured every single detail, and things I don't remember happening. Watching the finished short film a few months later made me bawl my eyes out, because I felt like I was reliving the actual day and moment my husband and I exchanged our vows. Thank you, Henry, for everything! Your talent cannot be expressed in words, and Ktrice and I are so blessed to have had you document our special day!

Sent on 06/18/2016

We researched several different videographers in Chicago, IL, and we decided to go with HWu Studios because of their professionalism, efficiency, and amazing creative process. We chose them knowing that they are expects in the area of a documentary style video.The initial conversation was brief and thorough; we trusted Henry to do his thing and make magic out of the ordinary. Overall, a great experience and amazing video of our wedding! I'd definitely refer HWu Studios to my friends.

Sent on 03/02/2016

Carol · Married on 07/03/2015

Henry was an absolutely amazing videographer. He knew exactly what we wanted, and while he was filming, we could barely tell he was there filming us. He caught so many of the personal and intimate moments that we would have forgotten had we not asked him to film our wedding. All of our friends who watched our video said they were bawling by the end of it and said that Henry caught the essence of our personalities and the love we have for each other. He was even flexible with us to make our highlight video a bit early in order for us to share with my grandmother who was unable to come to the wedding due to an illness. Thank you so much Henry!

Sent on 11/23/2015

When Chad and I had only a few weeks to pull together our wedding in September of 2014, one of the most important things was capturing the day on video. Chad was terminally ill, and losing his battle with cancer. Henry found out about our wedding and volunteered, of his own time and expense, to video the ceremony. He showed up that day, was professional and kind and we were so greatful. I didn't know anything about his work at the time, but was happy to have someone capture the ceremony. The best surprise came when he sent us the final edited video. It was beautiful, creative, thoughtful compilation that captured the spirit of the day, more than photos or words could translate. We watched it over and over, our friends and family as well. It was that good. Henry shared with us the gift of his talent for film making, his ability to capture the feeling of the day, and the final product was a work of art. Thank you Henry. I highly recommed Henry for any event- you are getting someone with talent and that will take the time to "tune into" the vibe for your big day. We were so happy with his work that we used him to film another event for us.

Sent on 12/11/2014

Tim · Married on 05/03/2014

Full disclosure: Henry is an acquaintance of mine prior to me hiring him as our videographer. I also worked as a wedding photographer for a couple years and have worked with many different videographers including Henry/HWu Studios.

Looking at different videographers and all their offerings and eventually choosing HWu studios was not a simple task. In the end, we loved the style of Henry's films and loved the creativity in his productions. I would recommend you watch through a few of the videos on his blog and you'll really feel like you're experiencing the day for yourself. Even the wedding of a couple of strangers has the power to evoke emotions and that was truly powerful. He has the talent and skill to do just that and that's the one thing we loved.

The day of the wedding and leading up to the wedding were seamless - schedules were sent out and Henry showed up on time. I noticed how Henry went unnoticed through the day and loved that he didn't disturb the ceremony or reception like some videographers have a tendency to do. I also received good feedback from the church's audio team and our DJ that Henry was a pleasure to work with in terms of syncing audio, timing, etc. All in all, a pleasure to have as our videographer.

The moments that Henry captured really help us to relive the day and the 3 minute highlight video that Henry blogged has been played countless times and shared with family and friends across the globe. Highly recommended!

Sent on 10/22/2015

Bien-Elize · Married on 08/09/2013

Henry is amazing! He was great in getting to know us and our story before the wedding so he could capture the essence of who we are as a couple. He is professional, kind, and worked well with my bridal party. The actual video is AMAZING and he is truly an artist. Thanks so much Henry!

Sent on 10/09/2013

Clarence · Married on 06/23/2013

Henry was awesome from the beginning to the end. He was responsive and responsible. I however, was not so much. 2 weeks before the wedding, my wife and I were still deciding if we would hire a videographer (based on our budget). After we gave Henry the go though, he flew bought a ticket and flew to Virginia.

Hire him.

If its quality you are concerned with, Hire him. Hope this can a little credibility to his review, I'm a photographer, so I'm pretty picky with my visuals :)

Sent on 02/21/2014

Lisa · Married on 06/07/2013

Where do I even start! Henry and his second shooter, Mike, were beyond phenomenal on our wedding day! My husband and I contacted HWu Studios after watching an amazing wedding film he made for our friends. He always answered our emails right away, and was so accommodating to our needs especially with our budget (which is more than you can ask for when your stressed out about everything else!). He and Mike even stayed longer to shoot some more footage! I rarely hear of anyone doing that in the wedding industry out of the goodness of their heart. You can definitely tell Henry loves his job - something you should always look out for when deciding to work with anyone! Henry and Mike were also incredibly professional. We didn't even notice them filming at times. They were so respectful, and careful not to distract us from our day. He has enormous talent in catching every moment so beautifully and perfectly. The music, the transitions, and everything was flawless in our film. We couldn't be happier :) If there's anyone out there who is on the fence about getting a wedding film, stop hesitating and book Henry now! We have been showing our film to all our family members, and it has been such a special experience. We all feel like we're reliving that day every time we watch it. Photos are amazing, but there are moments that only a film can capture perfectly. You don't want to miss anything that's happened at your wedding! My husband and I can't wait to share our film with our loved ones for many many years to come :) We are so so grateful for Henry's dedicated and beautiful work.

Sent on 09/24/2013

HWu Studios's reply:

Lisa, you and Sang are so amazing! Thank you so much for having me! Truly, truly I wish you guys the best. I'm sure we'll be bumping into each other at future weddings. :)

Christina · Married on 05/18/2013

Henry was hands down the best investment we made on our day. We were one of those couples who weren't positive whether it was worth getting a videographer. What initially sparked my interest was when I saw the highlight he created after my friend's wedding. It wasn't a wedding video - it was a masterpiece that captured not only the essence of the day but also the couple and their relationship. It was so different than any of those cheesy montages so typical of other wedding videos. But what really sold me was the other videos of couples I didn't know. Each video was so unique, personal, and told the story of the couple in such beautiful ways. I felt like I got to know each couple and their wedding day through those videos.

We finally took the plunge and booked Henry. He was extremely responsive. He really took the time to get to know us, our story, and what the day meant to us. On the day of, he showed up early and was always there at every moment. There were times I didn't even notice he was around - but when it crossed my mind, "ooh I wish he captured this moment", I'd turn around and he would already be there! He was so professional and on top of it throughout the day, even helping out my other vendors who hadn't paid as much attention to the schedule and flow of the day.

We just got our highlight last week and were absolutely floored. I have no idea how Henry managed to make it so perfect - but it was absolutely ingenious and perfect. It wasn't a video - it was a short film and a true work of art. Of all vendors I worked with, Henry was truly the most professional and most dedicated to his work. You will not regret booking him - his work is worth way beyond every penny we paid.

Advice for future clients: Take the time to answer his questions and build that relationship - the better he gets to know you, the richer your video will be IMHO, as it gives him a better picture of who you are and gives him more to work with.

Sent on 07/23/2013

HWu Studios's reply:

I don't really know how to deal with praise. This is almost overwhelming. I cannot thank you and Daniel enough for having me. It was a pleasure spending time with you and your friends/family! Can't wait to visit!

Alice · Married on 05/04/2013

Henry was the first and only videographer we interviewed for our wedding on May 4th 2013. He has such a relaxing and fun personality that calms you down. He's extremely attentive, communicates well, and has a great eye. He worked amazingly well with our photographer and our video came out so beautiful. Please book Henry, he's the best!! We were so happy to have him be a part of our wedding day and would do it all over again.

Sent on 07/14/2013

HWu Studios's reply:

Wow. Waking up to your review made my day. I was blessed to take part in your celebration, one that has been in the works for sooooo long! Thanks so much for your kind words! I hope you two are surviving in AZ! :)

Summer · Married on 04/06/2013

We were beyond pleased with Henry.. he worked so hard for us the entire day and seemed to fade away in the background, but was very much involved as our day unfolded. His SDE captured all those special moments throughout the day and the movie brought us to tears as we relived each one. He was prompt with email replies, he was very clear in his communication to us as a couple and any bride knows how important this is during the planning process. I would go with Henry again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 04/22/2013

HWu Studios's reply:

SUMMER! I cannot believe I overlooked your review! Thank you so much for having me. You and Sae are so good together! It was a pleasure getting to know you both and also the families in which you come from!

Bill · Married on 02/17/2013

Henry was a real pleasure to work with: flexible, understanding, and very professional. And of course, he's an incredible artist and will make your wedding day look stunning.

Sent on 12/01/2013

We actually didn't plan on getting a videographer but were talked into by many older women who said it was the one thing they never regretted splurging on for their weddings. Here's our review:

We live in LA so the market is saturated with wedding vendors, but we chose HWu Studios (all the way out in Chicago--they didn't charge extra for travel) because their videos had a particular style without being formulaic. Henry and team are notably good at overlaying/weaving different parts of the day to tell one cohesive and meaningful story. The editing and timing as they cut from scene to scene and shot to shot is also well done in a way that makes you feel like everything is melting together like one good memory of your special day. And, Henry and team were super sweet and considerate...at one point they actually started helping us with set up when they didn't have to at all and still got enough great shots. Needless to say, we're so happy to have hired them--no regrets!

Sent on 12/03/2012

HWu Studios's reply:

Thanks for much for spending the time to write out such kind and thoughtful words! You and Andrew are amaaaazinggg! Thanks so much for having us be a part of your rehearsal dinner - your families are wonderful! I can't forget all the delicious taiwanese food we gorged ourselves with that night and even during Monday lunch!

p.s. - I walk into chicago bakeries and feel disappointed.

Marin · Married on 09/07/2012

Henry and his crew member Chris were truly amazing to work with! Very patient with everyone and always friendly which always helps! We loved the "not in your face" approach and being allowed to do whatever we wanted. The day was about the bride and groom and that is exactly how Henry and Chris made us feel. Enjoyable to be around and felt like long time friends as opposed to being there just because they had too. We hope to use Henry again and would highly recommend to any wedding planning couples. The highlight video exceeded anything we could have ever expected. Our families were gushing over the quality and the story it told!

Sent on 11/21/2012

HWu Studios's reply:

Marin! I hope you and Dan are doing well! Thank you so much for reaching out to me early on! It was such a pleasure taking part in your celebration! :)

Jessica · Married on 09/01/2012

Let me start by saying we booked Henry a month before our wedding as we had major issues with our videographer so he was truly a blessing in disguise. Henry did a SDE for us that knocked us out of our seats literally, our wedding guests gave the video a standing O. It was truly unbelievable and it was above and beyond anything we had pictured. I can't tell you how many times we've watched it. Henry and his crew were so great the whole day and night...they even stayed a little overtime for us as we were a little behind schedule. Thank you so much for everything we are eternally grateful and I will be sure to pass your name on to anyone who is looking for a videographer, can't wait to see the rest.

Sent on 09/16/2012

HWu Studios's reply:

Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for allowing me to capture you and Justin! Though I feel really bad about your videographer canceling on you, I'm so thankful to have met you both. You two are so caring, not only to each other but to the people around you guys. I love that family is the center of your life. Never change that!

Jenna · Married on 08/24/2012

Henry is very professional and does absolutely amazing work.

Sent on 09/04/2012

HWu Studios's reply:

Hey Jenna! Thanks so much for having me! You and Justin are so much fun! It was great getting to know you guys through our portrait session but even more so on your wedding day! There's this saying, 'you are who you surround yourself with' and it definitely shows! Your bridal party and guests were amazing but that's the influence you bring!

We were referred to Henry through a friend and we are so lucky to have found him! He was very professional, came prepared to each meeting and took his time to get to know us as a couple. On the day of the wedding, he and his team were on time and did their job perfectly! We didn't even notice them filming the entire time and they were able to capture special little moments that we would have otherwise forgotten about. The highlight video that Henry made for us does such a great job summarizing the mood and emotions from our special day....it makes us cry every time we watch it! Not only is his work amazing, but he is also such a great, sweet guy. I would (and already have) HIGHLY recommend Henry for anyone needing a videographer for their wedding or any other special event!!

Sent on 09/04/2012

HWu Studios's reply:

Hey! You left yourself as anonymous but I'll assume this is Lisa due to the friend referring you! :) Thanks so much for the kind words! You and Peter were great! It was such an unbelievably relaxing day. I loved you guys more and more with the personal vows you two shared and the affection you have towards your families and friends. I hope you guys enjoyed Cai! Let's break bread sometime!