hippie chick bakery Reviews

53 | Exeter, NH

53 Reviews for hippie chick bakery

Abigail · Married on 10/04/2008

3.5

Fantastic wedding cake, Amy was very flexible working with us to get us the cake we wanted at the price we could afford. Her carrot cake is DELICIOUS!!!

Sent on 11/22/2008

Kristen · Married on 08/16/2014

3.8
      2.5

Amy was really helpful in helping us design our wedding cake. We had no idea what we wanted, and she was really great in hearing ideas of what we want and instantly sketching them into reality. The cake tasting was fun too - lots of flavors to sample. We chose Hippie Chick because of the amount of the vegan cake options, that were just as good if not better than the "normal" cake options. Originally we were going to get a vegan layer for me, and do the rest of the cake regular but since the price was the same and we liked the vegan better, we got the whole cake vegan. Guests really enjoyed the cake and were shocked to hear that it was vegan. Difficult to get a hold of Amy sometimes via phone or email since I believe it's a one woman company, but she came through in the end. We plan on going back in the future.

Sent on 09/17/2014

Teresa · Married on 09/19/2015

1.0

I was very excited to have Hippie Chick make a vegan gluten free wedding cake after I tasted several flavors and chose marble with mocha filling. Because of all the glowing reviews, I felt confident that we would have a beautiful cake that I could eat and that our guests would also enjoy. Unfortunately that is not what happened. The cake was delivered over an hour later than promised, but the design was lovely with our cake topper and it was set up just prior to our guests entering the reception room. However it was not the cake I'd ordered and I now suspect that it was delivered so late because Amy screwed it up. Instead of a light chocolate/vanilla swirl marble cake like what I'd sampled a year before, it was very dense and appeared to be a layer of dark chocolate and another beige colored layer with something crunchy in it. One guest said to me (before I'd tasted it), "you're brave to have a cake with nuts in it." I wondered what she was talking about! My Mother took one bite, thought it was a fruit cake (that's how heavy it was) and put it down. My new husband also had only one bite, then went to the caterer's dessert table. I didn't realize till the next day when I opened the box with the top layer that the caterer had given us as we left the reception that this was not a marble cake. I was so disappointed. I left Amy a message and sent an email. She sent a very curt reply to my email that it was a marble cake and that she would not discuss it with me. As I got more negative feedback from my family & friends about the cake over the next couple of days, I sent Amy 2 follow-up emails which she ignored. I don't write negative reviews unless I'm extremely upset or disappointed, and this experience with Hippie Chick certainly qualifies.

Sent on 10/24/2015

hippie chick bakery's reply:

I debated on responding to this review, but as my reputation is being maligned, I feel I must.
    Various people have suggested to me that the real issue here must be that the wedding went over budget and Teresa is trying to recoup costs. I only know what I will state here.

The day after her wedding, Teresa left a phone message detailing all the things she felt were wrong with her wedding cake. She outright stated that we "owed her some money". She also threatened that if I did not give her money, she would write negative reviews on the internet. The result of my refusal to be blackmailed is what you see here.

All of her initial complaints were proven false. She claimed the design was wrong, I provided a picture of the cake and the design sketch which were identical. She claimed her day was ruined because the cake delivery was late, but later admitted that it was in place before her guests arrived, that we had been in contact with her wedding coordinator to advise of a traffic delay, and that she was not even aware until the following day that delivery was delayed.
    In an new attempt to find fault, she changed all of her complaints to new ones that she had no evidence of and I could not as easily disprove - the cake was the wrong flavor (it wasn't), that it wasn't the same as what she had sampled (it was) and that it had nuts in it which she didn't like (I am completely a nut free facility, there were no nuts)

I responded to her via email, and due to her threat said that I would only respond to her in writing. Her allegation of me being curt and saying I would not discuss it are completely false, I still have the email in my files.

I appreciate my customers and want them to be satisfied. If there was any validity to her complaints, I would have strived to make things better in any way I could. That is not what happened here. I hope the anomaly of this review in view of all the others shows this clearly