Henderson Castle Reviews

Henderson Castle 5
  • Casey

Casey · Getting married on 08/01/2020

Beautiful castle

Attended an event last year. Very professional, great food, wonderful staff. The rooms are so neat, and it’s nice the history has been reserved.

Sent on 06/10/2019

Kelianne · Married on 06/16/2018

I absolutely loved Cortnee and the castle! I really enjoyed my wedding, and I was able to due to the minor details being taken care of for me. The available packages gave me everything I needed for a great deal. I'd absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for a beautiful venue with everything you need in one location. I honestly can't thank the castle enough for all the hard work they did to make my day special.

Sent on 06/22/2018

Henderson Castle's reply:

Thank you so much Kelianne. It was such a pleasure to work with you.

Teryn · Married on 04/21/2018

We loved having our wedding here! It’s an exquisite venue

Henderson Castle 6
    Sent on 04/29/2018

Henderson Castle's reply:

Thank you Teryn for allowing me to meet Robert and plan your wedding! It was an honor.

Rebecca · Married on 04/08/2018

Unique setting with exceptional service. Courtnee Lane and staff went above and beyond to make this a magical, fairytale experience. We would definitely recommend this venue to someone who is wanting a spectacular, intimate wedding. The castle is simply mesmerizing and the whole experience was unforgettable.

Henderson Castle 7
    Henderson Castle 8
    Henderson Castle 9
    Henderson Castle 10
    Henderson Castle 11
    Henderson Castle 12
    Sent on 04/18/2018

Henderson Castle's reply:

Thank you so much Rebecca. It was such a pleasure to work with you and Kelly to give you the wedding you wanted. =)

Ashley · Married on 10/13/2017

I stumbled on the Henderson House by accident when looking for venues. I had never heard of it as it was out of town for us. I was in love just from pictures but could have never imagined how much more amazing it would be until our first walk through. I never even looked at any other venues after visiting this beautiful castle. Cortnee made planning the easiest thing ever, I am not sure how I could have done it without her! The day of the wedding I was never worried , never had any doubt of how the day would go and it was nothing but fireworks the whole time. The most beautiful wedding ever and we were so honored to be apart of this castle’s history! To have ours closest friends and family with us and able to stay the night was nothing but a dream. Chef was amazing and everything was customized to us. He is hands down my favorite chef ever! Amazingly talented!! Thank you to the Henderson House for making our dream wedding become a reality. We plan to visit a few times a year! They are now apart of our family as well!!

Henderson Castle 13
    Henderson Castle 14
    Sent on 02/07/2018

Joel · Married on 10/01/2016

We were married October 1st, 2016.
    My now husband, wanted to have a fairy tale wedding. So what better place than a castle would fulfill his dream! We found Henderson Castle on a Google search and instantly fell in love. From our first contact with the Henderson staff until the moment we left the venue we were treated with the most respect, given exactly what we requested, and were shown exceptional customer service. We truly could not be happier with how our wedding day turned out. The character of the castle was beautiful day and night. The rooms that were offered to our guests were detailed with original artwork, woodwork, and incredible furnishings. The detail of the castle is like nothing we had ever seen before. Especially a place that allows guests to see, touch, and use the beautiful pieces. Our guests were truly surprised by how unique the place is. Within the castle there are many unique pictures, pieces of furniture, cool bathrooms, and even pianos, but the part that meant the most to us were the people/staff that took such good care of us and our guests. The castle wedding coordinator was so responsive to our emails and phone calls. She truly made our day come together and gave us everything we asked for and even more. The chefs and wait staff were so incredible throughout the night! The food was absolutely delicious, great presentation and great flavor. Our chef even made us a tray full of chocolates and joined us for a quick dance on the dance floor! These are memories we will never forget! The next day the exceptional castle experience continued. We had a wonderful brunch and later had a couple's massage. All of our guests couldn't be happier with their experience at Henderson Castle and we feel the same about our entire experience with Henderson Castle. We can truly say that our day was perfect!

Sent on 10/12/2016

I had my wedding here at the castle on Dec 22nd 2013 and I can't say how much we loved it! Everything was gorgeously decorated for the Christmas atmosphere and we didn't have to do much at all to add to it. The staff was also wonderful to work with and always answered all of our questions promptly. They also helped us out so much on the wedding day with set up. We had our ceremony inside on the beautiful staircase, and the staff was able to accommodate all of our 90 guests. Many people said it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they had ever seen!
    We then had a cocktail hour and the bartender (who was great and very knowledgeable/experienced) made a specialty candy cane martini just for our event. Guests were also free to look around the castle and loved seeing all of the different rooms and architecture. Dinner was amazing also! We had chicken, pork, or stuffed peppers with creamy tomato soup, rolls, and salad. The cake was custom designed by their pastry chef and made to look like a stack of Christmas gifts, everyone was very impressed and thought it was very unique.
    We had the reception upstairs in the ballroom and it was really fun. The DJ that the castle provided was great and took requests and did games with the guests all night long. We also had a photo booth upstairs which the guests loved (provided by studio 616). At the end of the night, my bridesmaids and I went up into the rooftop hot tub with our wine which was a perfect end to the night. Many of our wedding party and family members went down into the "man cave" to enjoy some after party drinks with the bartender which was a great way to wind down after the party.
    I had such a great experience at the castle and it honestly exceeded my expectations. I planned this wedding from Virginia since my husband

Sent on 12/28/2013

Jessica · Married on 04/06/2013

Henderson Castle is the perfect setting for a fairytale wedding day. The architecture is stunning and all of our guests raved about the four course dinner. We had the entire castle, grounds and staff to meet all the needs of us and our guests. The spa onsite was a perfect way to prepare for the main event. Every anniversary will now be spent at Henderson Castle!

Sent on 10/06/2013
  • Linda

Linda · Married on 06/02/2012

We held our reception at Henderson Castle in June and it was perfect from arrival to departure. Our 70 guests were welcomed with a cocktail hour: Champagne, fruit punch and hors d'oeuvres. This was followed by a four course dinner (salad, soup, entree, desert) - all courses were excellent and we received much positive feedback from our guests. The cake cutting was done very professionally by Francois Moyet and his assistant and was served as desert. Francois and his staff were the anchor for the event: Always of help and attentive but in the background (e.g. vase for my bridal bouquet). Francois supported the positive vibrations of our wedding with his friendly and patient character.
    The wedding party stayed in the seven guests rooms at Henderson Castle. After our guests had left, we switched to the lounge room and enjoyed talking to everybody before we went to bed late. The rooms are absolutely clean and the quality of the bedsheets made it a comfortable night. We had the "Italian Room" and were woken up by the sun tickling our noses in the morning. Staying in these unique rooms makes you feel like you traveled back in time to a luxurious 19th century! It's a one-of-a-kind experience!
    During breakfast we were surprised by a violin player who entertained the guests while we unwrapped our presents.
    Five stars because it was a perfect wedding for us in a dream location!

Sent on 08/06/2012

Nichole · Married on 05/20/2012

we could not have picked a better place to be married than the Henderson castle. The uniqe expiriance of being able to have my family and friends stay the night and have breakfast together in the morning was priceless. The castle and the property are gorgeous and the staff was beyond helpful and inviting. we rented out the whole castle for 24 hours. we were marrided in the court yard outside followed by photos. while we finished our photos our guest went inside for a drink and orderves before we all sat down to a very delicious 7 course dinner. we finshed our evening dancing in the ballroom and migeling on the roof top. It was magical. I would recommend the Henderson Castle to anyone looking to be married or hold an event .

Sent on 03/29/2013

C · Married on 05/01/2018

The staff at Henderson Castle is absolutely amazing; extremely knowledgeable and patient. The castle itself has a calming aura. An overall fantastic experience that makes for superior memories. Highly recommended.

Sent on 05/20/2018

Thank you Chandy.
  • User4420351 · 2+ years ago

The Henderson Castle was the perfect venue for my daughter's wedding. The wedding planners were so accomodating and helpful throughout the entire process. They provided everything except we used our own photographer. The food was excellent! The entire staff worked very hard to make sure all was taken care of to our satisfaction. I would highly recommend.

Sent on 09/23/2014

Chelsea · Married on 05/04/2013

Know that the staff at the castle are always willing to do or work with you on making your dream wedding come true. This does mean that although you've had conversations with them about your plans it is still always best to put it in writing so everyone knows. Even the simplest details help them accommodate all your needs. This is an old and unique venue so if you're looking for a gorgeous space this is it but don't always expect everything to be perfectly maintained or updated. That's part of its charm. It's a huge place to maintain and keep nice and they do their best but just like any home there's always a list I'm sure. The food is good, and Francois is a great chef. Talk to him and tell him what you do and don't like and he'll work with you. Enjoy the day and the views surrounding you and it'll be a fairy tale like ours was.

Sent on 06/01/2013

Evon · Married on 10/13/2012

It is the most beautiful and elegant of Venues, it is a diamond in the ruff, not to mention fit into our budget. The Staff and Event coordinator were amazing, they were a one stop shop. Anything that we did need they were more than helpful to accommodate.

Sent on 04/16/2013

Sam · Married on 03/02/2018

Overall our wedding was so beautiful and fun. There were some issue with seating chart which was disappointing since I spent tons of time on it. If I did it over I would have put the name cards on the seats myself. The service was a little chaotic bringing the food out, some of us had finished eating while others still hadn’t gotten food. I think this is a perfect place for a small intimate wedding but it was hard to manage so many people in such a small space. All of the people are so kind, however. Very attentive I think they just need more employees for bigger events. The food was absolutely outstanding, and my husband and I plan on making this our anniversary spot. Overall amazing just a couple of smalll improvements and it would be perfect.

Sent on 03/08/2018

emma · Married on 10/10/2013

the Henderson Castle is an elegant, unique venue for any special event or dinner. all the staff, especially the owner Francois, are professional and easy to work with. they have experience so the planning and preparation was not stressful. we simply shared our vision and goals, and they met all of our needs. it´s important to put things in writing though and we recommend you ask about the all the fees upfront (e.g. taxes and gratuity). overall the wedding package is worthwhile because it includes all the elements for the special day.

Sent on 11/13/2013

Tammy · Married on 05/28/2016

4.2
      3.5

We stayed here for our wedding, but did not have the wedding service here. I rented the whole castle (Except for 2 rooms that were previously rented) along with the house across the street. We were allowed to check in early so we could get ready for our wedding and have pictures taken. We arrived at 2pm. Our rooms were ready. The bar was closed and did not open for a few more hours. That was a bit disappointing, but they did get me a glass of Riesling which was out of this world! The accommodations were very comfortable. We stayed in a very small room-the Queens Tower, a room just big enough to house the bed. It had its own private balcony. This room was perfect for us on our wedding night. It was on the third floor, in the back of the ballroom, away from all the other rooms in the castle. It was quite cozy and romantic. We loved it! There is a new hot tub on the rooftop that we didn't use because we had no time too, but is a wonderful little piece of heaven when there is time. The staff were very accommodating to my dad who had some special needs for his room. We absolutely loved having our pictures done at the castle. The castle grounds were beautiful. We loved staying the night here also. Such a wonderful place. Our biggest disappointment came in the morning, when we got up at breakfast time and there were no staff at the castle yet. There was no coffee in the morning. We are huge coffee drinkers so this is a huge deal and causes panic when you get up and there is no coffee and no way to get coffee. A staff member did show up an hour late and it seemed that the morning staff person may have done a no call no show that caused the issue of no coffee. These things happen is not part of the norm. We eventually got our coffee and our breakfast then we checked out and started our honeymoon! We plan on staying at Henderson Castle again for our 1st anniversary. We are looking so forward to it! Thank you to all of the employees at Henderson!

Sent on 09/19/2016

Katherine · Married on 07/20/2019

Some hiccups but overall good

What started out as a rough experience was turned into a good one by the assistant wedding coordinator doing everything he could to ensure the day went smoothly.

Sent on 07/31/2019
  • User6207405 · 2+ years ago

3.8
      2.5

The venue was beautiful! In the contract it said they would help us decorate morning of and no one was there to help us decorate. I was still decorating at 2:30 when the wedding started at 3. The staff and wedding planner was very responsive. Dinner was delicious but small portions and dinner took quite a while to be served because for over 100 guests they only had two servers.

Sent on 08/15/2016
  • Corrina

Corrina · Married on 08/03/2019

3.4

Fairly Priced

I had a good experience with Henderson Castle. Their wedding coordinator Courtnee took the time to walk us through our big day and what to expect. She went over the timelines and explained how she could assist and make our day less stressful. Unfourtanetly she quit a few months after we signed on. She was one of the main reasons we chose Henderson Castle, so it was disappointing. Julie Robinson took over as our wedding coordinator after Courtnee left. Unfortunately, she did not know what she was doing. She would ask the same questions over and over every-time we saw her. She would take days to answer our texts and even said we would be responsible to set up the decorations, Although the contract said otherwise. Two months before the wedding she sent us a text saying she was fired, because of a mishap with the DJ. Julie's assistant Shannon took over as our wedding coordinator and she was a godsend. She knew exactly what we wanted and got it done. I honestly have no idea how we could have done it without her. My wedding day was great. The only thing I would change is the DJ. We purchased the all-inclusive package which included the DJ. He had us create a playlist for the reception but he only played 5 of the 50 songs we requested.

Sent on 09/09/2019
  • Josh

Josh · Married on 07/06/2019

1.0

Really a beautiful building, however....

Groom here, if you can only read one part of this review, DO NOT hold your wedding here or hold another event here. PERIOD.

This establishment/Francios the owner, tried it's hardest to give my new wife and myself the most miserable wedding planning and event execution they possibly could, or so it seemed.

My wife has previously submitted her review explaining exactly how they have done this, please read her review on Facebook! However, as time passes and we continue to hear many new horror story's from many of our guests. Fortunately, our friends and family kept these stories hidden from us because they cared so much that my wife and I experienced the greatest day of our lives, despite the crumbling foundation of Francois' house of mirrors and deception.

NEW DETAILS

We recently found out that our assistant photographer was moved away from her main task of photographing the wedding party by the ONLY wedding coordinator. Don't forget, we were supposed to have three..
    The reason she was forced away, was to help her light all of the candles. We had hundreds of candles, it was a year long project we worked on together for the wedding. The photographer was away from her post for 45 minutes. Both the bride and myself thought the assistant was taking pictures elsewhere, the photographer thought the same..

I can not comprehend how a PROFESSIONAL wedding coordinator could think it was a good idea to tear away one of the only people whose job it is to be with the bride and groom at this point.
    This is yet another example of understaffing.

We didn't mention the heat, mostly just the rain, but it was HOT. This is understandably a beautiful old building and is not energy efficient, but the air conditioning window units provided in all guest rooms, were ancient. And the filters were disgusting. Our friend checked out the air filter in his room air-conditioning unit before going to bed because it seemed to not be blowing very much. To his surprise it was disgusting, so much so that he had to clean it so his wife and himself would not be breathing in the disgusting air.

As we have previously said we were charged $500 to keep the bar open 2 hours later, not including the $250 fee the DJ charged.. So the money was only for the 2 bartenders.

On theknot.com the Henderson castle has a page that allows you to see all the details and prices of the different wedding packages.
    -A section on the knot called Bartender Additional Hour states: Each additional hour $50 per hour. Bartender Service Requirements: 1 bartender per 50 guests.

Hmm, so for two bar tenders for two hours we should have been charged $200, which would be reasonable, if they could handle pouring simple kegged cocktails and beer…. But wait, they apparently didn't know how to pump a keg and all day all they were pouring was foam.

Beds were terrible… One groomsmen fell out of bed because it was a queen foam mattress on a full size frame, so he had to sleep in a different bed than his wife.. Unacceptable.

There now appears to be a fake reviewer who knows an awful lot about the details of our wedding last weekend named Bob Arrh… I nor the Bride have ever known anyone by this name, he also claims he proposed to his girlfriend at our wedding.. That is a complete lie. We are not sure who this is, but have looked into tons of old 5 star reviews of Henderson Castle that also are a bit fishy.

Overall our issue with the Henderson castle is feeling we were cheated out of money by Francios the owner, the level of service we were promised was not even close to the level we received, they were understaffed, and unprepared for an event of our size. I would like to advise everyone considering a stay or wedding at this "bed and breakfast" to absolutely reconsider.

Henderson Castle 15
    Sent on 07/11/2019

0.0
      0.0

I would not recommend this venue to anyone that has a wedding with more than 50people including the wedding party. The current management is not upfront with critical logistics like maximum occupancy of 65 in the third floor ballroom, the downstairs dining room is set up for 44 people, with a separate room that can hold 19 more people. The elevator is broken so if you have any guests with mobility issues they will not be able to get to the third floor ballroom. The parking lot holds approximately 15 cars and since it is on top of a hill your guests will have to walk up the driveway and park on the street if the parking lot is full. We were under the understanding that drinks (coffee/Tea/Soda) came with the dinner but found out during our reception that they were charging our guests for all of the above. The wait staff and the girls that work there are nice, but the man they work for is difficult to work with, he will tell you he owns the castle, but if you look up the state of michigan records, it is owned by a man that runs a car detail shop on westmain street. We were told(and its in the contract) we would have the entire property for 24 hours, but people were coming in for lunch the next day before we were even checked out. The rooftob hottub was a selling point, but it was sealed off with 5 gallon buckets, and the hours of operation in the handbook in the room indicated we couldnt use it after 10pm. Given that the reception lasted until midnight, and we left the next morning, we couldnt use the hot tub at all. The complimentary couples massage was dissapointing, they set up two massage tables in the lounge area that is open to the ballroom, hallway, and rooftop so when they started the massage, people literally walked through. The wedding cake was fabulous, the pastry chef did an exceptional job.

Sent on 07/23/2013

Henderson Castle's reply:

Most of the information you are posting is untrue. Our main dining room has a capacity for 70 people and the private dining room seats 20. Our upstairs ballroom holds another 70 people for dancing or dinner. These capacities are set by the fire department and we do not allow more guests in each room for your safety. These capacities are explained when you book your wedding. There is an elevator on the property (original to the Castle 1895) it has been out of service for over 30 years and we never imply that it will magically be working for your event. All wedding tours are taken up to the 3rd floor, and anyone booking a wedding here is aware that any guests attending events in the ballroom will have to use these stairs. We have 33 parking spots in our lot and ample free parking in the neighborhoods surrounding the Castle. Again anyone booking a wedding is aware of our parking lot size when they first view the Castle. Soda packages ( and any drinks) are in addition to the cost of a meal. They are not listed as included on any menu in print or on-line and you would have been asked at your catering meeting if you wish to include a soda package. Had you declined, we would have charged the guests for the soda they consumed. The roof top closes at 10 pm along with all outdoor activity. It is a city ordinance. We are located in a residential neighborhood. The hot tub is never sealed off. We do have weights on the cover so it does not blow off, again for your safety. We are not open for business to the public during the 24 hours you reserve the castle. We do occasionally have walk-in business that comes in. We respectfully explain that we are closed for a private event and they move on. Our lunch service starts at 12 pm the same time your contracted time ended. The massage area is locked while massages are being conducted. We host weddings of 100+ guests here regularly and have very happy brides and grooms. The amount of disinformation you are posting here has me questioning when you had your wedding here. Henderson Castle Bed & Breakfast is owned by Francois Moyet. We appreciate your kind words for our pastry chef and will pass them on to her.
  • I

ian · event on: 04/30/2018

0.4
      0.5

Though I did not hold a wedding here, you should definitely read the NUMEROUS unsatisfied reviews from people that stayed here including myself! Beware! The management is incompetent and arrogant and the cottage rooms are run down dumps. Other reviews complain of mice, bed bugs and many problems in the main castle rooms. I had mold or water stains in my room on the wall by where I laid my head to sleep. I would sleep in a tent before I would give this place any money.

Sent on 05/08/2018