Michelle Elyse Photography Reviews

Michelle Elyse Photography 6
  • Lindsey

Lindsey · Married on 06/22/2019

Best Photographer EVER

I cannot speak highly enough about Shelley. She was absolutely amazing. Firstly, she was so personable and kind. Even when I was running around like a crazy person before my wedding, she managed to keep everyone in the right places and get great shots. She took amazing photos of our guests and managed to get pictures of everyone there. Her photos of our wedding party and the locations she chose were amazing. She communicated well and sent us our photos in a timely manner. She had such a positive attitude and you can tell she truly loves her job.

Sent on 08/25/2019
  • Katelyn

Katelyn Ammons · Married on 05/25/2019

Amazing wedding photographer!!!!!!

We had the best experience with Shelley. She did both our engagement and wedding photos. They turned out incredible. She was flexible with our schedule, incredibly professional, and captured the best moments of our wedding and engagement. I would never hire anyone but Shelley in the future! She’s truly incredible.

Sent on 08/06/2019
  • Kerry

Kerry · Married on 05/18/2019

Shelley has an impeccable eye for capturing moments in their purest form.

Shelley is an incredible photographer, and her work speaks for itself. What her photos can’t tell you is that Shelley is professional and kind. For our wedding, we really wanted to capture the candid moments, and Shelley did a perfect job of balancing our desire for true candids with the expertise to know we would want some posed photos. Shelley and her partner (we hired a second shooter) also worked tirelessly to capture hundreds of breathtaking photos in what felt like 100 degree, heavy, NC heat. Even when I was cranky - and there were a few of those moments given the heat - Shelley stayed upbeat, keeping our wedding party and family on task and moving through the photos.

I would recommend Shelley to anyone getting married, especially if you are getting married outdoors. She really has an eye for capturing moments in their most pure form. When I look back on photos from our wedding, I am continuously amazed by the genuine moments she was able to freeze into photos. Shelley’s photography is worth every penny and more, and we could not be more grateful to her for so beautifully capturing our big day. Thank you, Shelley!!!

Sent on 07/18/2019
    Michelle Elyse Photography 7
    Michelle Elyse Photography 8
    Michelle Elyse Photography 9
  • Nate

Nate Wagner · Married on 12/22/2018

Top class from start to finish!

Shelley was an incredible professional every step of the way! She was transparent and thorough in the hiring stage, including helping us to really visualize and decide on what sorts of shots we wanted for the wedding. She maintained excellent communication leading up to the wedding, including being extremely gracious and flexible with our really strange and hectic wedding plans. She fit in excellently with our wedding party day-of, striking the perfect balance of discreet professionalism and sincere enthusiasm! Oh, and, of course, she delivered a fantastic set of photos, ensuring that we will always have excellent reminders of that special day. Her gallery speaks for itself in this regard. Highly recommended on all counts!

Sent on 06/23/2019

Samantha Klein · Married on 11/03/2018

P e r f e c t

​I can't speak highly enough about Shelley! After chatting with Shelley once, I knew I needed her photographing our wedding weekend. Shelley is kind, caring, thoughtful and unbelievably talented. Shelley came all the way from North Carolina to New York to photograph our wedding. She is reasonably priced and worth every penny and more. Our wedding day was extremely chaotic and Shelley was the calming force behind it all + we have the most incredible, stunning and in the moment wedding photos I couldn't have ever dreamed of. Our wedding was less than four months ago and we already have our photo album ordered through Shelley. She created the most amazing curation that represented our experience in the best way possible and so fast! I HIGHLY recommend Shelley for anyone, anywhere and any occasion!!!

Sent on 02/14/2019

Ruthanne · Married on 09/22/2018

Shelley was wonderful! She put us totally at ease and was super flexible with scheduling our engagement and wedding weekend photo shoots. She is exceptionally talented and friendly and we would highly recommend her!

Sent on 09/28/2018

jill · Married on 08/16/2017

Hartman Outdoor Photography was the best decision my husband and I made! Shelley is beyond accommodating, flexible, professional, warm, and prompt. There is not a single photo that my husband and I are not in love with; every photo more beautiful than the next. We can not be more pleased with the quality of Shelley's work - we relive our wedding day each time we look at the pictures. Thank you Shelley - we look forward to working with you in the future!

Sent on 11/19/2017
    Michelle Elyse Photography 10
    Michelle Elyse Photography 11
    Michelle Elyse Photography 12
  • Alisha

Alisha · Married on 06/17/2017

Absolutely amazing! Have thoroughly enjoyed working with Shelley throughout our journey; from engagement photos, to bridal portraits, to the wedding day Shelley made us feel comfortable and at ease and her work is absolutely AMAZING. Shelley was extremely flexible when plans or settings changed and was a blessing to work with. She has truly helped capture the joy that consumes us during this time in our lives and for that we are forever grateful! Extraordinary photographer and person

Sent on 06/29/2017

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Oh my goodness you guys are just too sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words Brooke and Craig. Its been a joy getting to know you. :)

Alice · Married on 06/10/2017

My husband and I couldn't believe how lucky we got to have Shelley photograph our adventure elopement in South Iceland! She was easy to communicate with and so personable in person. I pretty much instantly felt comfortable working with her, even though I never got to meet her in person until the actual elopement day. My husband doesn't comment on services very much, but he was so impressed with Shelley's creativity and fearlessness in getting the best shots. She would sometimes be laying on the ground and get completely soaked by the waterfalls, and she would have us stand so close to the edge of a cliff and so close to the waterfalls. My husband got to see a sneak peek of a few shots on her camera, and his mouth literally dropped at how beautiful the photos were. We completely trusted her opinion on the stops we made in Iceland not only because she has been to Iceland before, but also because she just has that creative vision to know what looks good (her website/blog says it all). Another bonus is that she scouts the wedding ceremony area for you beforehand and chose our ceremony site, which we are so grateful for. It was intimate (away from the crowds), peaceful, and beautiful. If you and your partner are looking for someone who loves candid photos, dynamic photos with a lot of movement, and epic landscape photos, Shelley is the best photographer for that. We can't recommend her enough!

Sent on 06/13/2017

Christine · Married on 06/02/2017

Hartman Outdoor Photography was recommended to us by our wedding planner, Sarah Shumay, and couldn’t be more thankful because I can’t possibly speak highly enough of Shelley Harman. From the moment my husband, Jamie, and I met her she had a fun, yet calming presence, was easy to work with and very responsive (even just that is a gift in what can be the hectic world of wedding planning). She absolutely spares no time or energy when it comes to her preparation and devotion to her clients— she scouted an amazing spot in the mountains of North Carolina for our engagement photos. On the day of, it rained the entire shoot which you might think would have put a damper on the experience. Think again—thanks to Shelley, we not only had an blast but also received absolutely stunning photos despite the fact that there was cloud cover blanketed over the landscape nearly the whole time. We were told countless times by friends and family that they had never seen engagement photos like ours and that they were a true work of art. We have a 30 inch by 40 inch canvas of one of them hanging in our home. During the engagement shoot and again during our wedding, she made us feel totally comfortable and has a unique ability to give just the right amount of the direction so that you feel like you know what to do but don’t end up with photos that look forced or overly posed. She is capable of capturing both the widespread striking, beauty of whatever landscape she has thoughtfully selected but also the up close, intimacy of private moments between two people during some of the most precious days of their lives. She is not only an incredibly skilled, artful photographer, but also a gem of a human and a joy to work with!

Sent on 08/09/2017

Jennifer · Married on 06/01/2017

Shelley's work is unbelievable and she truly captured our day perfectly. From the second my husband and I looked at her work we knew she was the one for us! We worked with her from out-of-state and she was quick to respond to any questions we had. We met her for the first time on our wedding day and it felt like we had known her for years. Having had a small, intimate elopement we knew that we had to have an amazing photographer and Shelley is exactly that and more! Every time I look at our pictures I'm immediately taken back to that day. We cannot recommend Shelley enough! Thank you again for such a wonderful experience!

Sent on 09/13/2017
  • User6119430 · 2+ years ago

Shelley and Josh were an amazing couple to work with both for our engagement photos and for our wedding day! They were so easy to work with, and they really go the extra mile in getting the shots to make sure you're wedding photos are the best they can be. We absolutely LOVED our photos!!!

Sent on 09/27/2016

Carrie · Married on 05/29/2016

We used Hartman Outdoor Photography for both our engagement and wedding pictures. It was one of the best choices we made during our wedding planning process. Our pictures are beautiful. They captured the day exactly as I remember it and weren't afraid to get out on the dance floor to get some great actions shots. Shelley and Josh were everything you would expect from professionals (on-time, responsive, organized, and quick turn around times for photos), but they were also such a joy to be around! All of my guests were talking about how fun our photographers were, and we got even more compliments on the pictures themselves!

Sent on 07/05/2016

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for your very sweet review Carrie! We wish you and Zach the very best! <3 Shelley + Josh

Jocelyn · Married on 05/01/2016

Josh and Shelley are truly amazing. From the first time we reached out to them about about possibly photographing our engagement and wedding day pictures, they were extremely kind and professional. They are such a wonderful, laid back couple. We first had the opportunity to meet them at a local brewery in Raleigh in Sept (about one month before our engagement shoot), which gave us the chance to get to know each other and brainstorm for our upcoming shoot. We had a BLAST wandering around downtown Asheville and the grounds of the Biltmore Estate during our engagement session. Being that it was the first time I had taken professional pictures, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but Josh and Shelley made it so much fun; we really felt like we were hanging out with friends that afternoon. On our wedding day they had already scoped out some great locations/ideas for pictures ahead of time. They captured so many special moments, from our getting ready pictures all the way until our bubble send-off at the end of our reception. They were even in the crowd dancing with us, taking pictures during our reception. They made sure to include certain pictures we requested and also added their own creativity, so we had an amazing mix of photos. We were also very appreciative of how quickly they got our pictures to us after each shoot. We honestly could not have asked for better photographers - they are extremely talented, creative, and have given us pictures that we will look back on and cherish forever. We have received so many compliments on the pictures they took, and we highly recommend Hartman Outdoor Photography - they are fun, adventurous, and the absolute best!

Sent on 10/11/2016
  • Jessie

Jessie · Married on 04/30/2016

The Hartmans are some of the best photographers I have ever come across (and I must have looked at a zillion Pinterest posts, wedding blogs, and magazines!). Their style is unparalleled and they are an absolute dream to work with. If you are looking for a photographer, look no further because the Hartmans are the best!

We met Josh and Shelley years ago when they photographed a friends wedding - I remember thinking how fun they were to work with and how they made even the shyest person comfortable in front of the camera. After seeing the photos from that wedding (and picking my jaw up off the floor because of how stunning they were!), we knew we wanted to hire them when we got married - there was just nobody else that compared.

Once we got engaged and picked our date, they were the first people we called. They were so responsive throughout the whole time leading up to the wedding, and after taking our engagement pictures with them we could not have been more excited for the wedding. On our wedding day, they showed up early to scout out some spots before meeting us to take pictures of everyone getting ready. They picked some stunning locations for our first look (I still get tears in my eyes every time I look back at photos from that moment!) and wedding party photos, and kept everyone upbeat and laughing during the family photos. Once the wedding started, they seemed to be able to be everywhere without being intrusive at all, and were able to capture the most intimate moments and all of the details perfectly. During the reception, they were not afraid to get out on the dance floor to not only get some fabulous shots of our guests enjoying themselves, but also to show off some of their awesome dance moves!

Hiring the Hartmans was the best decision we made with our wedding, hands down. Not only were their photos drop-dead gorgeous, but they were incredibly fun and easy to work with. Thank you Josh and Shelley for capturing our wedding in the most perfect way!

Sent on 01/04/2017

Melanie · Married on 04/16/2016

Gosh, we just love the Hartmans!! Josh and Shelley did our engagement and wedding photos and we couldn't be happier! Our pictures turned out beautifully, and working with Josh and Shelley was a dream.

We planned our wedding long distance and they were very accommodating in setting up our engagement session right around Christmas while we were back in town visiting. Our first meeting with Josh and Shelley was over our engagement session and my fiancé (at the time) and I were surprised at how quickly we felt comfortable with them. Again, our engagement pictures turned out amazing!

In between our engagement session and wedding communicating with them was very easy and they responded quickly to all our emails leading up to our Big Day.

The next time we saw Josh and Shelley was on our wedding day. They showed up early to get the lay of the land and with plenty of time to take pictures of us all getting ready (some of our favorites are the candids during this time). They flowed seamlessly throughout the day, much of the time we didn't notice they were there, until we saw the pictures of everything they captured! I will say they are a blast to work with, Josh tore up the dance floor! And they left us an adorable picture from our photobooth!

We got a sneak peek of a number of our photos on their blog a few days(!!!) after our wedding and got all of our photos back Less than 2 weeks after our wedding.

I couldn't have imagined having better photographers to work with for such a special time in our lives. We are SO glad that we have not only the beautiful photos to remember it by, but the warm memories of working with Josh and Shelley as well!

Sent on 05/09/2016

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Melanie and Alex- thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts. You guys are so sweet! It has been wonderful getting to know you and sharing the memories of your wedding day. Please keep in touch!

We were impressed with Shelly and Josh from our very first email exchange, all through our engagement sessions, and then on our wedding day. We first heard of Shelly and Josh through friends who had used them for their wedding ( their pictures were absolutely stunning). Hartman Outdoor Photography was professional, enthusiastic, and diligent. Our guests marveled at how much fun Shelly and Josh had while photographing. Their commitment and passion is clear and they truly made our wedding day fantastic. Both are amazing with communicating with families and capturing details of the wedding. My husband and I highly recommend Hartman Outdoor Photography- as a matter of fact we cannot even fathom how anyone uses anyone else!

Sent on 12/22/2015

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for your sweet review Brittany! Happy holidays to you and Rob!!!

Josh and Shelley were AMAZING to work with. They are both very personable, warm, down to earth and energetic people, my wife and I both feel lucky we met them! We got together several times before the wedding (they also did an engagement shoot for us), and they were incredibly helpful in helping us figure out what what we needed for our event and how they would fit in. We also already new we loved their style, and the energy and creativity they brought to their work. When our wedding day rolled around, it was one aspect of the event we could feel really comfortable with knowing our photography (and our memories) were in such capable hands. Josh and Shelley both brought a different eye and different perspective to the photography, and it was great having them work together as a team. We knew that between the two of them, everything was covered and not just from one perspective! During the ceremony, they blended in effortlessly and we didn't even notice they were there. Afterwards, they did a great job capturing the events of the day, and not just from the sidelines... Josh was right there in the thick of it on the dance floor! You can tell they really love what they do, and thats great to see. We love the photos and the memories they helped us preserve. We are still getting tons of rave reviews about the photography, and it was easy to share the images after the event. Their style really worked with our vision, and the photos show the energy, passion and creativity they brought to our wedding. Couldn't be happier! Thanks Josh and Shelley!

Sent on 01/05/2016

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Thank you thank you thank you Liv and Sean for all of your kind words! We feel lucky to have worked with you! ~Shelley and Josh

Steph · Married on 09/18/2015

Shelley and Josh are the 2 most naturally talented individuals, who also happen to have beautiful adventure-seeking souls. I am the first to admit that I am awkward in front of a camera and hate being the center of attention, so I assumed my pictures would convey that. To my delight, that was not the case. They were able to capture pure moments of happiness and emotion without me even knowing they were there. To this day I look at my pictures with the biggest grin on my face, and I can't even begin to count how many times I have said I am glad I went with Shelley and Josh. They deliver outstanding quality and fantastic personality to go along with it! Love you guys!!

Sent on 02/03/2016

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for the kind review Steph! We loved visiting Chicago for your beautiful wedding!

Chris · Married on 09/12/2015

Allow me to go ahead and put this out there - these guys are the best photographers around. Period.

We had 175 people at our wedding and every single one of them has remarked at just how breathtakingly beautiful our wedding photos turned out. The Hartman's are true professionals and passionate about photography. From the first time we met with them, they were prepared with both digital albums as well as hard copy photo books to display all of their previous work. We spent over an hour viewing photos from all sorts of weddings and incredible adventure engagement shoots. Every shot that they showed us was stunning, top-quality photography. Not only were we star-struck with their work, but they are so down-to-earth, nice, and friendly people. Matt and Josh shared a beer while Shelly and I poured through photos. It was clear to us when we left this meeting, that these were the right people for us.

Over the next couple of months, we found them to be very responsive. We also received an engagement shoot from them which we had to reschedule at the last minute, and they were flexible enough to work with us. They asked us to complete questionnaires and made certain that they knew what was most important to us, so that they could be sure to capture those moments on the big day.

On our wedding day, Josh and Shelly showed up early and were dressed in black from head to toe - complete with cameras, lenses, and everything else you could think of. I believe they had 4 cameras with them just in case something went wrong with one of their cameras. They captured every minute of our day, from the beautiful rustic scenery of the horse farm, to getting ready, right down to the dance moves during the reception. There wasn't a single detail that was missed.

I wish I had words to tell you how much we love our photos. IF the Hartmans are available for your wedding, I recommend snatching them up before someone else does. You will be glad that you did!

Sent on 01/03/2016

Michelle Elyse Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for your review Chris! It was such a pleasure working with you and Matt!

alisa · Married on 08/08/2015

Before I had my wedding dress, before I had my venue, before I even had my wedding date...I had Hartman Outdoor Photography. I discovered these two amazing photographers early on in my wedding planning process. I was so impressed with the caliber of their work and how effortlessly and beautifully they captured their weddings and engagements. I mean...you know you're in love with your wedding photographers when you base your wedding date according to their availability (honestly...I speed-dialed Josh when I found my venue and would only pick a date they could shoot for us). We just had our engagement shoot with Shelley and the pictures were stunning! Having never been professionally photographed, Shelley immediately made us feel at ease and captured the sweetest moments. All the while that she photographers, she sneakily collects details about your story as a couple, incorporating a sweet narrative to the blog post that friends and family can then go see with your engagement shoot. These two are so awesome and we can't wait to work with them for our wedding!

Sent on 11/12/2014

Rebecca · Married on 08/01/2015

We loved working with Josh and Shelley. From engagement pictures to the wedding day, they were professional, helpful, and friendly. They always answered emails right away, even when they were out of the country. The pictures that we got back were gorgeous and all of our friends and family have been raving about them. The day of the wedding, they were present and available for whatever we wanted, but also never overbearing. They were personable and friendly and made the whole experience great! It never felt awkward or staged. We would highly suggest Hartman Outdoor Photography to our friends and family!

Sent on 09/13/2015

Rebecca,
    Thank you so so much for your review. It was such an honor getting to know the two of you and photographing one of the most important days of your life. Please keep in touch! ~Shelley

I write to offer my highest recommendation of Hartman Outdoor Photography. Beautiful and authentic engagement and wedding photos were a top priority for us and that is exactly what we got with Shelley and Josh. They are an amazingly talented team with an eye for great pictures and the skill to capture them on film. They not only captured all of the special moments, but the feeling of absolute joy that we were experiencing that day. Josh and Shelley are also incredibly nice people to work with. They quickly made us feel like longtime friends and very much at ease during our photo session. Their professionalism and the quality of the photos are definitely worth the investment. Thank you again!!! -Liz and Adam

Sent on 08/02/2015

Nicole · Married on 03/26/2015

We contacted Shelley about taking some photos to celebrate our 5th anniversary in downtown Raleigh. She was prompt at getting back to us and had such a great enthusiasm for our shoot ideas. When we met up to take the photos, we both instantly loved her! She was so sweet and made us feel very relaxed. We had a great time and a short time later received our absolutely beautiful photos! We seriously could not have been happier with the whole experience or the gorgeous photos that will be treasured forever!

Sent on 06/28/2015