Hammond Castle Museum Reviews

23 Reviews for Hammond Castle Museum

• Little

Little Duck Dollies · Married on 02/04/2020

Castle Dreams Really do Come True

I never wanted a basic venue but I also had a budget. Not only is this place affordable, the staff are attentive and responsive.

Sent on 02/08/2020

Nicole Parmenter · Married on 11/02/2019

Perfect Experience!

What a unique venue this was and totally worth it!!

Sent on 11/09/2019

Hammond Castle Museum's reply:

Thank you Nicole for choosing the Hammond Castle Museum to have your wedding with us. It was obvious that you and Jon and all of your family and guests were having a fantastic time. So much dancing!!! We appreciate that YOU appreciate the uniqueness of the castle and we hope you will continue to stop by now and then to visit us. ( I still love your dress!)
    Best regards,
    Managing Director / Hammond Castle Museum
  • Kaisha

Kaisha · Married on 09/20/2019

Great Wedding Venue!

We used Hammond Castle Museum as both our ceremony and reception venue for our wedding in September 2019. The venue is beautiful and was really memorable for everyone. Our ceremony was on the back lawn overlooking the ocean and guests loved the sound of the waves crashing on the cliffs below. During our cocktail hour, guests got to take guided tours of the castle museum with a drink in their hand. The Great Hall easily fit our party of 75 for the reception but would feel crowded with a larger group. The staff were easy to work with, the price is reasonable and the ambiance of the castle was priceless. I would definitely recommend this vendor!

Sent on 11/12/2019

Hammond Castle Museum's reply:

Kaisha, Your kind words regarding the Hammond Castle Museum are very much appreciated. You and Wesley were so much fun to work with and comments like yours, make all we do at the castle to ensure a memorable event like your wedding, so worth it. Thank you so much! Please stop by sometime to see us, don't be a stranger!
    Best regards,
    Managing Director / Hammond Castle Museum

Chrysten · Married on 12/15/2018

Great Venue

Gorgeous venue, so unique! Linda was very accommodating and helped the big day go smoothly. We got married in the off season so they were great about letting us in early for photos. It was perfect for our small intimate wedding.

Sent on 01/03/2019

julissa · Married on 06/20/2015

My wedding ceremony was here and it was AMAZING! it is a beautiful setting and the coordinator Linda is great. Very personable and organized.

Sent on 04/12/2015

Ruth · Married on 10/10/2010

Definately a one of a kind venue that is worth every penny!!! I grew up in Gloucester which made this even more special, but every girl wanting to feel like a princess will get her dream come true with this venue. The staff, especially Linda, were all fabulous and so accommodating. The pictures were beautiful and nothing like you will ever see anywhere else. Everyone commented at how special and gorgeous this venue was...you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 10/21/2010

Victoria · Married on 09/25/2015

Hammond Castle is a gorgeous venue! We had our wedding reception here, and it was perfect! We did a 20s themed wedding that fit perfectly with the venue, which was built in the 1920s. Linda, who is the functions director, is very helpful. You don't need much decoration since the castle is so beautiful. We highly recommend Hammond Castle!

Sent on 10/24/2015
  • Kate

Kate Souza · Getting married on 08/03/2020

Wonderful!

My fiance and I are planning a small elopement ceremony this August at Hammond Castle. Originally, we were just doing a photo session before our wedding at another location, but with Covid-19 we canceled our big wedding and we needed a location for a ceremony. We reached out to Hammond Castle to see about the possibility of having a ceremony during our photo session and they were so accommodating! Deb is wonderful and pleasant to work with and we highly recommend this location. Deb is also knowledgeable about the history of Hammond Castle, which was an added bonus.

Sent on 05/17/2020

Hammond Castle Museum's reply:

Thank you, Kate, for your kind words. I'm grateful that we had the date available for you to have your ceremony here at Hammond Castle. I'm very happy to have been able to help during these
    un-certain times.
  • Nicole

Nicole · Married on 09/22/2018

Amazing venue for a wedding!

We got married here about a month and a half ago and had a great experience. The planning required for this venue is extensive but definitely worth it if you're willing to put in the work. Linda is very helpful in connecting you to approved vendors and coordinating on the day-of. Our photos turned out beautiful, and our guests loved the venue.

Sent on 11/04/2018

Ryan · Married on 05/26/2018

3.0

Hammond Castle was an atmospheric and beautiful venue for our wedding. Linda, who coordinates wedding bookings, is exceptional to work with and was incredibly helpful on the day of the event. I would highly recommend Hammond Castle to any couples seeking a unique and character-rich wedding venue.

Sent on 05/30/2018

Katie · Married on 08/19/2017

We had our wedding ceremony at Hammond Castle this past August. While Linda was a bit spacey, and sometimes hard to reach in the planning process, she was 150% on point for both the rehearsal and the ceremony. She had every detail down and was even able to turn the great hall in our dream set-up within an extremely short period time after closing.

It’s a bit pricey to rent for the just ceremony (3 hr minimum) but it’s not often that you are able to get married in a castle, never mind one built by a mad scientist. The venue is beautiful and your guests will love that they’ll enter your wedding via the drawbridge. Not to mention, even if there’s rain, you’re still able to get beautiful pictures in the courtyard!

Just make sure you’re organized and if you have a lot of guests, look for alternate parking and shuttles. We provided shuttles from our reception hall in Salem as the Castle only has 40 parking spots and the vendors and staff can take up 10 of those.

Also, if you’re looking for good vendors – I cannot speak highly enough of Greg Plowman (DJ) , Hot Shots (uplighting and photobooth) or Brianna Cox (photographer). All three of these vendors not only know Hammond Castle inside and out but are extremely professional and great to work with!

Sent on 09/18/2017

Shanna · Married on 06/19/2011

Got hitched on 06/19/11 at Hammond Castle- had both the ceremony and the reception there. Let me begin by saying that it's really like two venues in one: you get the back lawn that overlooks the ocean plus the interior of the castle. To say my guests were wowed by this place is to put it very mildly. Many of them said this was the best wedding they have ever been to- a real fairy tale setting for a wedding.

The grounds in June were lovely- we had visited the castle 4 separate times (initial visit, dropping off the deposit/ asking some questions, vendor walk through, and finally a pseudo rehearsal) all during different times of year, and I was so pleased with the way the grounds were in bloom. Our guests enjoyed just wandering around and taking pictures of everything: the drawbridge, gargoyles, the inside atrium, etc. Linda the event manager was lovely to deal with on each of these visits, and she will manage your event like it's second nature.

We got married on the lawn and had the cocktail reception there, too. We heard the ocean waves gently lapping behind us as we gave our vows. Dinner was also outside under a tent because I didn't want to waste one of the longest days of the year inside the somewhat dark castle...but it was perfect for dancing and the cake cutting later!

Hammond Castle wasn't the only venue in Cape Ann we had considered, but the castle was thousands less than, say, the Crane Estate or one of the venues at Endicott College. Both of those places have a nice historic house with an ocean view but all I could think of is "Gee, we could be renting an entire *castle* for a lot less". Plus, the castle doesn't have a liquor license which saves you serious money. Look, I'm not saying it was cheap- it's definitely not- but it's a better value than some comparable near-by places.

If you go with his venue- a few pieces of advice: get both phone numbers for Linda and the castle- the castle is a museum that is closed for much of the year, but she is there or will get back to you. Of course, there's email, too but sometimes it's quicker to go through a series of questions with her on the phone. On the big day, make sure your guests know to go over the drawbridge and not down the scary steep stairs that some of the vendors use. Some of our guests saw those stairs and skipped what could have been a fun, grand entrance. Lastly, pick a photographer who has photographed the venue before because the interior lighting can be tricky. Also they may not be aware of all the different places to pose you. For a small scale castle, it's packed with possibilities.

My husband and I had also considered Glen Magna Farms- he especially loved the formal gardens. But now we are so very glad we had it at Hammond- in 10 years our family and friends will most definitely remember their time there. There's plenty of historic houses and gardens in New England for weddings. But a castle by the sea is truly special.

Sent on 08/07/2011

Stephanie · Married on 06/02/2017

Hammond Castle is a beautiful and a one of kind venue. There were so many pretty places to take pictures both inside and outside the castle that we instantly fell in love with the castle. We had both our ceremony and reception at Hammond Castle and it was amazing. Everyone loved the view of the ocean on the front lawn and how unique the castle was. Linda at Hammond Castle was great to work with. She was very helpful and accommodating during the whole wedding planning process and incredibly helpful the day of the wedding. Our day wouldn't have gone as smoothly without her.

The only difficulty we had was that you couldn't be on site at the venue before 5pm. If you want to be there earlier to do pictures or first look, it will cost extra. Other than than that, we loved having our wedding at Hammond Castle. It was truly an amazing and unforgettable place.

Sent on 06/29/2017

Julie · Married on 10/08/2011

Helped make our day a trully majical experience! Its a freaking castle what more needs to be said!

Sent on 02/11/2012

Christine · Married on 05/31/2014

3.0

So many of my guest raved about how cool and awesome the Hammond Castle Museum was for a wedding site. My ceremony was outside on the back lawn over looking the ocean, cocktail hour wan in the indoor courtyard, and the reception was in the Great Hall. It's a site worth seeing just to check it out.

As for planning a wedding it wasn't the easiest because it's only open seasonally and it doesn't have a full kitchen, nor tables, chairs, plates, utensils, etc. Ipswich Clambake was awesome at catering it because they brought their own grills and equipment. As for decorating, that was the easiest since the venue is a museum and I didn't have to decorate the Great Hall :) . I only decorated the table tops and the arbor on the seaside lawn for the ceremony.

I was so moved by how beautiful it was to walk out of a castle, overlooking the ocean, gazing down to see all of my family and friend smiling back at me, as I walked towards my loving, soon to be, husband.

The Justice of the Peace, Rick Perry, and his son John, our DJ, along with the Director of the castle, Linda Rose, made the night run smoothly and gave us extra attention to details that we needed. Being announced into the Great Hall through iron doors atop a grand staircase created a memorable event. It was truly an amazing night. Thank you, to everyone involved, I couldn't have done it without you!

Sent on 06/18/2014

Rebecca · Married on 10/13/2012

4.2
      3.5

Hammond Castle is a truly unique venue, and we are very glad to have found it. The visuals were as breathtaking as we'd hoped, and we have beautiful photos and videos to prove it. All the guests were amazed and said they'd never seen anything like it. The size is probably the biggest problem with this venue - you can only squeeze so many people in the Great Hall (I'd say 80 comfortably, 90 a bit squished).

Trying to turn over the room from ceremony to reception was also a challenge, as there was nowhere for all the guests to go during the transition. We ended up sending them to the front lawn, which was pretty chilly in October. We used 2 long banquet style sets of tables, and had most of them set and pushed to the sides of the room during the ceremony. That helped save a lot of time in between. The coordinator, Linda, did not believe this setup would work and was a bit challenging in this respect. We stuck to our guns and did our own measurements. To her credit, when it did work on the day of the wedding, she came right up to me and admitted she had been wrong!

The other difficulty was also mentioned in someone else's review - they are very strict about when you can get on premises and start taking photos. Linda wanted an extra $500 to arrive at 4:30pm and do some outdoor shots. Having already paid $5000 for the night, that seemed a bit nickel-and-dime to us, just to stand on their lawn. We went to Fort Stage park instead and got some amazing photos by the water. It worked out in the end, but was very stressful the day before.

It is expensive, but not as much as it could be. Once you factor in being able to choose your own caterer and baker - AND bring your own alcohol - the price isn't very different than the usual per-head cost at a hotel. I encourage you to do the math before discounting the castle as out of your budget. However, make sure you count renting your own tables, chairs, linens, and speakers.

Sent on 02/06/2013

Paola · Married on 08/04/2012

3.5

Hammond Castle is honestly the most beautiful venue I have ever seen and it was a privilege to have our wedding there. We knew we wanted something original other than the typical country club or hotel wedding. The second my husband and I saw Hammond Castle we knew it was the one. We decided to have the ceremony inside the grand hall and the cocktail hour/reception outside under a tent. The reception was truly magical with the twinkle lights under the tent (we used Seacoast tent rental) and the waves crashing on the rocks just next to us. I can confidently say all of our guests were in awe of the venue. For many, this venue isn’t possible because it has a maximum capacity of 120 people. For us this was perfect because it meant only our closest friends and family were there. Also, it means that it’s a venue that’s not used too often which still makes it original.

My one main complaint with the venue is they won’t allow you to go onsite the day of the wedding until 5pm – ceremony starts at 6pm. This leaves barely enough time for pictures and it’s such a beautiful site I would of liked to have gotten more pictures at it. We ended up doing our first look nearby though. The only other complaint was that the function director, Linda, told us that there was an event there on Friday so we had to do our rehearsal on Thursday. This meant that people had to spend more money for an additional day at our hotel. Right before the rehearsal, she asked why we weren’t having it on Friday which meant that she either lied about the event that was scheduled or it was cancelled and she didn’t bother to tell us.

Other than that it was the perfect venue and we couldn’t have been happier with our choice.

Sent on 08/22/2012

R · Married on 06/10/2017

3.0

Overall, this is a perfect venue for wedding and reception. Gorgeous venue! Do keep in mind, Hammond Castle is a museum, and therefore is open to the public until 4pm. The vendors, caterers, etc all need 2 hours to set up, so guests are not able to enter until 6pm according to Linda Rose. This was not communicated when the contract was signed. I was told by the caterer! As a result, there was a few hours in between the the wedding and ceremony. Photos on castle grounds are an extra $250.

Sent on 02/01/2017

Hammond Castle Museum's reply:

All contract are fill out start time is 6 pm. Only off season days closed can we start early. Times are up front on contracts and information package give to all. Not charged for set up time of 2 hours. Only vendor are aloud to be here to set up.

Christine · Married on 05/31/2014

3.5

Amazing venue! Just when I thought that I couldn't afford it, being resourceful on thumbtack.com I found affordable service vendors. Also, I went with a clam bake as opposed to a sit down, served three course dinner. Furthermore, the castle allows BYOB for the host which helped out a ton financially.

My ceremony was in the back lawn of the castle overlooking the ocean; cocktail hour in the indoor courtyard; and reception was in the Great Hall of the chapel. Everyone kept commenting on how the castle is a great place for a wedding. My photos are amazing!

Sent on 08/05/2014
  • Jessi

Jessica · Married on 08/07/2009

2.0

I booked Hammond Castle for my ceremony only. Though I felt it was too expensive and inflexible on timing for just the ceremony, it was so magical and beautiful. My guests kept saying how beautiful everything was and it was the most amazing place for a wedding. The castle sits on an ocean cliffside. I held my ceremony on the lawn overlooking the ocean, entering the aisle from the Castle stairs. Linda, the coordinator, was professional, sweet, and caring and made sure eveything went smoothly. I definitely recommend this venue!

Sent on 08/18/2009

Nicole · Married on 05/11/2019

2.4

Beautiful venue, Linda is NOT a wedding coordinator

Linda Harvey replaced Linda Rose as the venue coordinator at Hammond Castle in late 2018. Though she might have good intentions, she does NOT have experience as a day-of wedding coordinator. Specifically, she can help tell the caterer and rental companies etc. where to go and set up stuff, but she is NOT the person to coordinate the overall smooth running of the wedding.

Unfortunately for us, Linda had told us that she would be taking care of all of this and so we had to scramble to cover these on the day itself through a combination of ourselves, our wedding party, our DJ+MC and amazingly, our caterer.

Overall I think it's clear that Linda was not aware of the responsibilities of a wedding day-of coordinator and was generally just standing by waiting for instructions. But other than that, there were also a few specific issues that did not sit well with us:
    1. We had arranged a final rehearsal walk-through an hour and a half before the ceremony, which was confirmed multiple times in the weeks leading up to the wedding. In fact, I had confirmed this just the hour before as we were heading up to the venue. When we arrived, Linda was nowhere to be seen, and after asking around I was told she had "left to get changed".
    2. We had requested that the candles at our guestbook sign-in be lit before guests arrived, and that the candles at our pedestal tables be lit for the cocktail hour. Neither was done.
    3. We were told casually by Linda that they do not allow the throwing of petals at the ceremony, even though that was allowed by the previous coordinator when we booked the venue. The only way Linda would allow us to do this was if we picked up all the petals by the end of the night. So, my groomsmen and I were out on the lawn in the cold picking up petals together. I'm sure it'll be a fun memory, but honestly how ridiculous.
    4. Finally, as I was leaving for the night, Linda came up to me and said that we still owed a balance for the night. I told her we had already paid in full but she gave a condescending look and said that was incorrect. Well sure enough, the next day she was proven to be wrong as we had the email thread and check images to prove it. But the lack of consideration by bringing this up on the day itself after an exhausting night showed a clear lack of professionalism.

Overall, we would still highly recommend this venue as it is incredibly beautiful. We would just highlight that you would be much better off hiring a day-of coordinator and having all interaction with Linda documented in written form so there are no disputes.

Sent on 07/07/2019

Brittany · Married on 06/30/2018

1.6

Hammond Castle

Let me first start by saying the castle itself is beautiful and I do not regret having my wedding there, however their staff is definitely not equipped to host weddings. A few bad experiences that left us with a bad feeling after our wedding: -As I was walking down the aisle I noticed many things that I had spoken to the staff about out of place, in fact right after we said the "I dos" I looked over the beautiful arches that you see in all of the pictures to find 2 of my centerpieces sitting there. If they were just a floral arrangement maybe I would not have cared, but they literally had the table numbers on them. How guests figured out their tables is unknown, and very embarrassing. I don't think any bride should have to be worried about these types of details on the day of. After the wedding was over one of my close friends informed me that she had to go around and fix many floral arrangements, put out the welcome sign, and set the sweetheart table up because it only had plates and silverware on it... no centerpiece or floral arrangement . The day before at the rehearsal I gave Linda a very detailed document stating where they were to be placed with pictures and a description! -Upon waking up in the morning and a few guests asking us to open their cards with them, we realized we had at least 5 or 6 cards stolen from our card box as well as our go pro camera that was on the table beside it. One of the staff members came up to us and told us that for some reason she moved in during the wedding (without our permission). The staff of the castle made absolutely no effort to help us retrieve this and made no mention of the cameras that were throughout the castle and in direct site of our card box. I am not blaming them for the disappearance, because I have no proof due to them neglecting to show us any video footage. However, if this was my establishment I would be doing everything in my power to help a newly married couple get their money, and camera back that captured the best moments of our special day. This was an awful way to start our honeymoon the following day, and our close friends and family were very upset. -After the cake cutting we went into the great hall for our first dance. Linda neglected to tell our catering staff that cake was to be served in the castle not under the tent, and MAYBE 5 people ended up getting our cake. This was a huge waste of money, and very annoying detail that could have been easily solved if she had communicated the day of plans that were provided to them. Moral of the story, if you plan on getting married at the Hammond Castle hire your own day of coordinator and staff. Like I said the castle is beautiful, one of a kind, and a gorgeous backdrop for photos. I just wish I listened to many vendors that warned me about the "flakey" staff.

Sent on 11/19/2018

Amanda · Married on 08/21/2016

0.8
      0.5
      0.5

This review is specifically about Hammond Castle as a wedding venue. I had my wedding at Hammond Castle Museum in August and, while the venue is absolutely stunning, my experience was completely ruined due to an enormous amount of miscommunication (specifically on the part of the venue rep, Linda Rose).

Let me start out by saying that if you want to hold a wedding at the castle and plan to go through all of their preferred vendors, you will probably have a great experience. The castle allows you to pick your own vendors as long as you share which vendor will be doing what. Instead of using a traditional caterer, we decided to have Indian food brought in and serve it buffet style. Now, Linda knew about this for three months before the wedding date. FOUR DAYS before the wedding, Linda calls me up and tells me that normally the caterer is in charge of cleanup, which includes breaking down all tables and chairs, removing all trash, sweeping, etc. Since we did not have a caterer, this now falls to us, including paying a $400 cleaning deposit. Four days is not a lot of time to resolve this dilemma. We ended up hiring someone off of Task Rabbit (who was great), but unfortunately, was not enough for the high standards of Hammond Castle. When we arrived, one of the first things Linda said to me (the bride) was that I should have hired a staff of people. Again, I had four days to plan this!

We had a series of problems throughout the night and Linda was incredibly rude the entire time. Yes, a lot went wrong and I can understand why she was frustrated, but being rude to a bride and groom who are paying quite a lot of money to be at your venue (which doesn't include anything besides the location itself) is really unprofessional. She was scowling all night, wouldn't communicate during clean up so we weren't sure what exactly needed to be done, and was short with me and even openly bad-mouthed me to her colleague. We were doing our best. My family and friends were removing

Sent on 09/26/2016