Hakone Estate and Gardens Reviews

13 Reviews for Hakone Estate and Gardens

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Thu Tran · Married on 06/01/2019

Picture-esque wedding venue

I highly recommend this venue! It's so beautiful and literally every spot is a perfect picture. My family and friends were all amazed and dazzled by the beauty of this Japanese garden. Also, Tony was amazing to work with. He was patient, kind, and really understanding. He knows exactly how weddings normally run and he can help with any questions you might have. Overall, I recommend it!!

Sent on 08/05/2019

Victoria · Married on 06/22/2014

If you're thinking of having this be your venue for your reception, I highly recommend you follow through. We met with them ~10 months before our reception, and from that first meeting until our last email and the day-of everything was perfect. Yes, PERFECT!!!! They are very professional which is shown by their responsiveness in their email, and with the clarity of their contract. They also did not talk us down, something I feared as it is quite the nice venue, which I appreciated. They didn't find it was odd that our reception was about half a year following our actual marriage ceremony nor did they mind working with us to use a halal catering company, something that was off the list.

Flexibility? I changed my mind on some decorations the month of and they were able to accommodate. Paying with X on one card and Y on another card? They can do it. Meeting with your catering company? They do this too, and this is something I didn't think of at all so I'm glad they did.

Now for value... this is the true reason why they deserve 5 stars. It's an estate. A full estate that you're renting out for hours, and it's only for you and your guests plus vendors. I got a big building for everyone to eat in, a bamboo forest, a koi pond, and wonderful backdrops all over. My bridal suite was actually a small traditional Japanese building. My bridesmaid didn't have to fit into one small room, they got a huge area with sliding paper doors to dress up in. If they stepped into the hallway they'd see a rock garden. Oh, and the rock garden area had been renovated from the time I signed the contract to when my reception took place. You don't just get awesome, you get even more awesome as they seem to be continuing working on improving the gardens et all.

Seriously the worst part of our wedding was having to go home... I wish we could have spent like 5 more hours chilling there with our guests. So stress-free. I can't wait to go back there, if only we didn't live so far from them.

Sent on 07/09/2014

Travis · Married on 08/20/2010

Great place to have a wedding! Perfect for outdoor events. The staff is very helpful and it's a great value for the money!

Sent on 08/20/2010

Michele · Married on 12/06/2008

I searched high and low from San Diego all the way to Sacramento for my wedding location. I live in Los Angeles and had a plethora of beautiful choices for my ceremony, but when I came across Hakone Gardens, I KNEW it would be THE PLACE for my ceremony. Kyongmi, the event coordinator at the Gardens was more than helpful. She was extremely knowledgable, warm, thoughtful, and made me actually feel like a "real person" and not just another bride. She took the time to chat with me about my family, our cultural values, and the things we'd be incorporating into my wedding ceremony that reflected my heritage and my fiance's heritage. She answered every single email from me (and there were a LOT) promptly and efficiently. The Gardens themselves were absolutely breathtaking! I visited Hakone Gardens in the springtime when everything was in full bloom, and I was worried it wouldn't be as beautiful in the winter (when my ceremony took place). I was completely blown away by all the colors of the foliage. Even though there weren't any flower blossoms, the colors of the fall leaves were absolutely amazing!!!!!! I HIGHLY recommend Hakone Gardens! All my guests absolutely LOVED it!

Sent on 12/10/2008

Amanda · Married on 02/23/2008

Hakone Gardens is a beautiful Japanese garden set in the hills above Saratoga, and it's really stunning. The attention to detail is amazing, I guess that's why Memoirs of a Geisha was partly filmed there. The service and staff are first rate, and I highly recommend it for your ceremony.

Sent on 08/19/2008

Debbie · Married on 09/13/2014

We wanted the Hawaii feel for our wedding and were only having 8 guests (immediate family) attending. We wanted something beautiful and memorable in our budget. This was a great venue. The gardens are breathtaking, The only con is where we were married ( The Wisteria Pavillion) There were lots of flies. I was glad I had provided raffia fans for my guest, and the officiant was fanning them away from us the entire time.
    The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was we had orchid blossoms shipped from Hawaii to put around the table and bench during our ceremony. Before it started, the lady overseeing our event came and gave my fiance a broom and dustpan and told him to clean them up because they might get in the koi pond. I am hearing about this before I walked in from my son. We should have been told no loose flowers and they could have discussed this with us when we set up over an hour prior, not during the ceremony.
    But, other than that set back, the venue is gorgeous and affordable.

Sent on 09/17/2014

Lisa · Married on 07/25/2009

A great place to have a very intimate wedding. Very accommodating

Sent on 09/06/2009

Alex · Married on 09/10/2005

Very beautiful and intimate Japanese garden surrounded by redwods and overlooking the Bay Area. The movie Memoirs of a Geisha filmed part of it there. Because its a non-profit foundation open to the public, the times available for ceremony there are limited. Part of the fee can qualify for a tax deduction due to contribution to charity.

Sent on 11/11/2006
  • F

Flo · Married on 10/05/2008

4.2

The garden is beautiful and peaceful. All natural beauty. We fell in love as soon as we saw it. We had heard of Hakone but never visited until it was recommended to us for our wedding. We now plan on returning again and again.

Sent on 12/02/2008

NE · Married on 01/19/2008

3.0

Nice park. Felt a little misled, so when you book your venue, make sure everything is clear. I was told that I got the whole park to myself, but as the day came near, other visitors were welcomed to the park. On the day of, guest were looking at the tea house, there was no control who could or could not go through. My guest had to tell the visitors that there was a wedding going on.

Sent on 11/24/2008
  • Natasha

Natasha · Married on 04/13/2013

3.5

Beautiful location!! I had my wedding March 30, 2013 and although it slightly sprinkled, the flowers were all blooming and it was breath taking. They were flexible with the amount of guests I had, and my different vendors.

Sent on 05/13/2013

n · Married on 04/07/2018

0.4
      0.5

I did not go through with booking Hakone Gardens for reasons that will become clear: my first tour, the guide Christine did not tell us where to meet and didn't show up on time. There is a gift shop in front of the gardens, so we asked the cashier to call her. It was probably 15 minutes later that she came, and it was awkward waiting there in the gift shop. The tour was unprofessional and brisk. I asked to come see an event with specialty lighting. Christine put me in touch with someone named Sandra. Sandra was supposed to meet us at 8:00 at an event (note: they never mentioned how to dress, but I assumed it was a wedding so put on a dress). From 8 to 8:30 we were calling Sandra's cell, the office phone, and emailing. No one responded. Sandra eventually called at 9 when we were on our way home. One hour after the meeting time... We left and never looked back. Take your money and run. Utterly unprofessional.

Sent on 06/08/2017