Gunston Hall Reviews

Gunston Hall 5
  • Sarah

Sarah Bachmann · Married on 04/20/2019

Beautiful and Historic!

My husband and I can't say enough good things about working with Nicole and choosing Gunston Hall for our wedding. It was the best decision we made for our wedding, and in all honesty we didn't seriously consider any other venue. Gunston Hall stole our hearts! All of our guests thought the property was beautiful, and Nicole went above and beyond to help us. We had our ceremony in the afternoon, and right after the ceremony ended we were able to take photos inside the historic house itself. Once we were done with photos inside the house, our guests could take a tour of the house before going to the courtyard for a cocktail hour while the bride and groom took more couple photos outside among the beautiful trees.

To go back to the planning, Nicole met with us several times in the course of our engagement, helped us figure out the best place to hold the various parts of our day (we did both our ceremony and reception on site), was incredibly responsive via email, and helped with set-up and breakdown of our wedding. We had our wedding ceremony outside under the big oak tree, cocktail reception in the courtyard, and dinner inside in the Ann Mason Room. The weather cooperated and we were able to have everything go as planned, but it was reassuring to know that there was a viable indoor option if we needed to move the ceremony inside.

Gunston Hall 6
    Gunston Hall 7
    Gunston Hall 8
    Gunston Hall 9
    Gunston Hall 10
    Gunston Hall 11
    Sent on 05/05/2019

Sarah · Married on 05/20/2018

We LOVED Gunston Hall, and especially Nicole, our main contact there. We chose it because it had an indoor option in case of rain, but luckily were able to go with plan A and be outside overlooking the river and under the big tree near the house. Their team was wonderful - I loved that the chairs and tables and setup were included, that we had a shorter time option (5 hours was plenty for our small 68 person wedding!), and of course being able to have such a gorgeous backdrop for our ceremony and reception. Their vendor recommendations were so helpful, the getting ready rooms are perfect, and the location feels quiet and away from the sounds of highways and the city. Thank you, GH!

Gunston Hall 12
    Gunston Hall 19
    Gunston Hall 20
    Sent on 06/28/2018

Hannah · Married on 07/28/2017

If you are looking for a BEAUTIFUL and reasonably priced venue Gunston Hall is the place to go. I had such an amazing experience. They helped to make my wedding day all that I wanted.

Sent on 09/21/2017

Lisa · Married on 06/03/2017

We can't say enough good things about working with Nicole and choosing Gunston Hall for our wedding. It was the best decision we made for our wedding. All of our guests thought the property was beautiful, and Nicole went above and beyond to help us. She met with us several times in the course of our engagement, helped us figure out the best place to hold the various parts of our day (we did both our ceremony and reception on site), was incredibly responsive via email, and helped with set-up and breakdown of our wedding. She was also incredibly sweet to our dog who served as the "Best Dog". Gunston Hall was the most perfect place for us and I am so happy to have these memories. One day, we hope to hold an anniversary party there and bring everyone back for another spectacular celebration!

Sent on 09/26/2017

Robert · Married on 05/27/2017

Absolutely wonderful; and Nicole was awesome!

Sent on 09/14/2017
  • User7441951 · 2+ years ago

The venue was incredible and very flexible. They included a home tour for my guests and let my dog on the grounds for the ceremony. Nicole (event coordinator) was exceptional. She surpassed all expectations and was a real pleasure to work with. I still can't believe how easy it was. Great history, beautiful venue, and better staff. We wouldn't change a thing.

Sent on 11/28/2016

Kathleen · Married on 07/23/2016

Gunston Hall has so much to offer! Make sure you tell your guests to walk the grounds and tour the house. It's a lovely venue, with very helpful staff -- can't go wrong.

Sent on 09/06/2016

Tara · Married on 05/29/2016

We booked a family reunion/vow renewal party at Gunston Hall, and it was the perfect place to have our event, at a price we could afford! The site offered something for everyone, and kept guests of all ages entertained. Nicole was a pleasure to work with, and made things so easy and stress-free! Would I host another event at Gunston Hall? In a heartbeat. Can't say enough about what a great location this is.

Sent on 08/30/2016

Rachel · Married on 05/14/2016

Seriously consider having your event at Gunston Hall. Not only was Nicole and the rest of the team there amazing, but they were so friendly and completely willing to work with you. I had the best experience. I am trying to think of other parties to host there just because it was so wonderful!

Sent on 06/24/2016

Kiley · Married on 09/26/2015

I could not have picked a more perfect venue for our ceremony and reception. Gunston Hall was a site that our guests were able to learn about a piece of history while enjoying our special day. Nicole allowed for our guests to tour the mansion during our cocktail hour which all of our guests enjoyed! Many were from out of town and had never been to Gunston Hall before, and even the guests that were local took the opportunity to tour as well. Nicole was available by email and phone since I was planning from out of town, and made sure that she was available to meet with me when I was in town. Gunston Hall was very flexible with my vision for the day and was willing to work with new vendors and accommodate special requests. This venue was not only exceptionally beautiful, but it was also very stress free during planning and on the day of. I was able to get dressed in the cutest house on the property attached to the visitor center and watched from above as all of my guests walked in. Gunston Hall really allowed us to be comfortable all day long. I would definitely recommend this venue for anyone looking to escape the busy feeling of the DC area!

Sent on 12/18/2015

My wife and I started scouting wedding venues 18 months before the wedding date. We looked at more than 30 venues and decided Gunston Hall would be the perfect location. Without announcing our decision to our daughter, she visited the venues with us and independently settled on Gunston Hall. Nicole Morton was wonderful in helping us get everything set for the wedding. Nicole made sure the Mansion was available for the guests to tour during the cocktail hour after the ceremony. The grounds are beautiful and there are many locations where a tent may be erected. Indoor arrangements could also be made but we opted for the reception under the tent. All of our vendors said that Nicole was a pleasure to work with. We highly recommend Gunston Hall for events large and small.

Sent on 12/21/2015

I had my wedding ceremony (out on the lawn overlooking the Potomac), my cocktail hour (in the beautiful enclosed courtyard & garden), and my reception (in the event hall in the museum) here and loved it. All my guests could easily park in one place and go to each place on foot within a minute or two of walking, and the scenery and area was breathtakingly beautiful. Chairs and tables for the guests, as well as tables for things like catering, cake, projection, etc were all provided in the one set cost, which I loved. It was much cheaper than paying per item like so many places wanted. They worked well with my caterer, helping her set up and clean up and letting her come in early without any issue. Everything went off without a hitch and it was the perfect memorable place to have the event. Our coordinator at Gunston Hall named Nicole was absolutely helpful and great making sure everything went perfectly. She even went above and beyond to help when other vendors made mistakes like providing a shirt to our photographer when she tripped and fell and dirtied her shirt. No complaints and would definitely recommend to anyone.

Sent on 12/17/2015

Natalie · Married on 09/06/2014

I couldn't have asked for anything more with this vendor! Nicole was great, so helpful and super sweet. The location is a little far but it was totally worth it. The views and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous!

Sent on 07/18/2016

Shannon · Married on 05/14/2017

When my fiancé and I showed up to look at the property, I was so nervous. He was interested in Mt. Vernon and I was like, "let me show you something even better". He quickly caught on that this was some place special to me.

I had dreamed of having my wedding at Gunston Hall and at the ripe old age of 46, my dream came true. It was everything I had hoped it would be. Nicole and the staff were so supportive, so flexible, so great. The ability to use both the indoor reception hall and the courtyard was ideal. Most of my guests took advantage of touring the property while I was off doing photographs.

And here is the best compliment I heard that I'd like to pass on. A guest came up to me at the reception and said, "oh my goodness, Shannon. Your wedding was like a scene out of 'Notting Hill'. The chairs were all set up, the arbor was so beautiful with the Potomac River vista in the background. And before the wedding, there were kids running all around, playing, laughing....enjoying the beauty of it all. Just like you to have a movie wedding!'

Thank you, Gunston Hall---for making that happen.

Sent on 05/29/2017

Danielle · Married on 10/04/2014

Gunston Hall was a gorgeous place to have our wedding, it was everything we were looking for in a venue, from the scenery to the accommodations we couldn't have asked for anything more. Nicole, the coordinator was a pleasure to work with and was attentive to all our calls/emails. We highly recommend you look into this historical venue for your special day!

Sent on 12/17/2015
  • David

David · Married on 06/24/2017

We loved getting married at Gunston Hall! The venue is gorgeous and the ability to have the ceremony out on the lawn and the reception in the museum was very convenient.

Nicole was a wonderful coordinator and representative of Gunston Hall. She was responsive to our questions and flexible to our needs, especially when we got closer to the wedding and the communications came thick and fast.

We'd 100% recommend Gunston Hall for anyone looking to get married in Northern Virginia.

Sent on 09/16/2017

Sarah · Married on 08/06/2016

Definitely make use of the space and let your guests know that they can take tours! We had rainy weather, but it would have been nice to have guests get outside. Also, think about how cozy the space is. We had around 100 people and it was close, but the guests enjoyed being able to meet people easily and there was still space to dance!

Sent on 09/06/2016

Kathryn · Married on 04/20/2017

3.5

We had our rehearsal dinner at Gunston Hall in April 2017 and it was held in the outdoor
    courtyard. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful setting and weather! The staff was great
    and accommodating to our wedding coordinator during set up and both our families loved the
    private tour of the house. The photographer was also able to capture some really beautiful
    pictures. The only issue we had was the venue only had table and chairs so we had to bring
    everything in (e.g. table cloths, utensil, decorations, etc) and there are some strict rules regarding
    who can use the kitchen for meal prep. Besides that I would definitely recommend Gunston Hall
    for any event!