Great Blue Heron Catering Reviews

132 | Vienna, VA

132 Reviews for Great Blue Heron Catering

Doris · Married on 06/08/2013

GBH is the in-house caterer for the Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna VA. You don't have to use GBH, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would hire an outside caterer. I met with Liz and Dennis who worked with my budget to get us the best value for the money. My daughter and her then fiance went to a food tasting and had a hard time narrowing their choices. I did not get to taste everything during the reception, but at a family brunch the next morning, I found out what a mistake that must have been! We chose a buffet, which was marvelous and elegant that was preceded by a cocktail hour with hot and hold appetizers, both passed and as a static display. They set up both an outdoor and indoor bar, with no waiting and very personable wait staff. I would not hesitate to recommend GBH.

Sent on 06/10/2013

Sahar · Married on 05/26/2013

Omg.. YUM! Let's just say that I booked my venue based mainly on where GBH worked (the only serve the northern VA parks (NVRPA)). Everything was so delicious and wonderful. They did my brother's wedding a couple years back and they were consistently excellent for my wedding. They also packed up what was left so that the next day we didnt have to cook which was great! You won't be disappointed!

ps. The mushroom ravioli was amazing!

Sent on 10/03/2013

Deanna · Married on 02/24/2013

Our weddng was amazing and the food was a hit with all of the guests. From the very beginning the staff were there to please us and to make this a pleasant and memorable day for us. The tasting and their recommendations were great as well. The value of the food and service staff that was provided is unmatched

Sent on 02/28/2013

Katya · Married on 02/17/2013

We could not offer higher praise for the Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. The location is beautiful, the food exceptional, and the service without peer. The main chef, trained at the Culinary Institute of America, has created diverse and satisfying menu that caters to nearly any type of wedding. Every dish was scrumptious. Our guests could not get enough of the hor d'oeuvres and raved about the meals even days later.
    What truly sets the Atrium apart, however, is the service. Wayne Hager, the director, and Renee Arellano, the events coordinator, do an incredible job preparing for your big day and ensuring that you have the wedding you always hoped for. This competence is mixed with a sincere desire to make your big day as special as possible without racking up the prices. This goal is rare in the wedding industry, which is often known to use the emotionally-charged special day as a means to exact the highest expense from its customers.
    Unlike many of its competitors, the Atrium’s continual efforts to provide the best service for its clients are not tied to additional fees. For instance, a few weeks before our wedding my wife and I visited Rene at the Atrium for a pre-wedding consultation. During the meeting, we mentioned that one of the centerpieces on the table (a clear vase with some ornaments) was beautiful and asked where we could buy them for our own wedding. Rene replied that she knew where to buy them and that she would purchase them for us to use at the wedding free of charge. This focus on service rather than cost was demonstrated time and again. Bianca, for instance, not only supervised the staff on our big day but also essentially acted as a same-day wedding coordinator, making sure that everything went smoothly.
    If you want a beautiful outdoor wedding or a wonderful indoor wedding with an outdoor wedding feel, the Atrium cannot be beat.

Sent on 04/19/2013

The food was so good! Since my wedding was at the Atrium at Meadowlark it was super convenient to be able to use an in house caterer and they blew me away with how professional and (most importantly) delicious their food and service was!

Sent on 10/11/2012

Kristina · Married on 08/03/2012

WONDERFUL!! Food was amazing and service was even better. We met with Denis and Brian for our tasting and then once again a week before the wedding to go over all the final details. They were extremely responsive and made us feel comfortable. At first I was completely against a buffet style dinner, but after tasting their food it made me comfortable with my decision. We had a lower budget and they worked with us to stay within our budget and create a wonderful spread of appetizers and dinner selection. I would HIGHLY reccomend them!

Sent on 08/13/2012

Laura · Married on 10/02/2011

I cannot say enough good things about Great Blue Heron Catering. Start to finish, they were a dream. As far as vendors go, they were highly responsive and extremely flexible on every single detail, right down to the types of flower garnishes on the plates!!! They worked with us right up until days before the event to adjust the guest count and finalize the meal choices. Not only that, but we are still receiving compliments on the food many months later....the hors'doevres were simply outstanding and every meal selection was prepared to perfection by the chef! We received highly personalized service, outstanding value, and I would highly recommend Great Blue Heron Catering to anyone planning to cater an event.

Sent on 01/22/2012

Heather · Married on 08/01/2011

We got married at the Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens and used Blue Heron Catering. Many of our guests said it was the best food they ever had at a wedding. Everything was delicious and the caterer was flexible. Some of our guests were vegan and the chef prepared special meals just for them. Those guests said they were impressed by the meals he made. Schedule a tasting with them!

Sent on 03/17/2012

Lynn · Married on 06/11/2011

Dennis and his team worked with us to create a wonderful VEGAN menu. The staff was fantastic, food delicious, etc.

Sent on 06/28/2011

Monica · Married on 05/20/2011

Everyone at Great Blue Heron did a wonderful job! They were all very easy to work with and even got all the special requests and dietary restrictions right! The food was delicious! I still have people talking about how good it was weeks after the wedding. I would suggest them to anyone!

Sent on 06/07/2011

Christina · Married on 03/12/2011

If you are using a venue where Great Blue Heron can cater, then you should definitely book them. We could not have been happier! The food was perfect and all of our guests loved it, the staff was so friendly and efficient and the guy in charge, Dennis, was very accommodating and friendly!

Sent on 05/18/2011

Larissa · Married on 09/25/2010

We chose Blue Heron Catering, the in-house caterer at the Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, for our wedding reception. We were so glad we did! We received multiple compliments from our family and guests on how good the food was! Even a month after the wedding I am still hearing about how impressed guests were with the food. We had a buffet style dinner and the presentation was wonderful. They provided my husband and me with our own personal waiter, Sean, who was very helpful attending to us all night; he brought us our dinner and made sure we had drinks if we needed them. The funny thing is that I never even made it to the back area where the buffet table, coffee station and bar were because of the impeccable service we received. I just know from the wedding pictures that it looked very nice.

They also provided excellent h'ors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour that we received compliments on as well. I would definitely recommend Blue Heron Catering - their food is delicious and they are very professional, friendly, and efficient. At one point in the evening my mother wanted candle votives added to the guest tables and they were happy to do it. Overall they provided us with a great experience that truly added to the elegance of our event. We found them to be responsive and flexible with us in the planning stages as well.

Sent on 11/06/2010

Korin · Married on 04/10/2010

Absolutely Amazing!!

Scott Boger and GBH are the catering service at the Meadowlark Atrium (see separate review for venue).

Scott and his staff are amazing. They helped us create a menu that suited our event perfectly. All of our guests are still commenting on how fantastic the food was that night (and who ever remembers the food at a wedding?).

We had a handful of specific requests-- including a peach cobbler instead of a groom's cake-- which the chef executed to perfection.

The staff is super responsive (again see venue review) and the catering costs was extremely reasonable. Unless you want something super-specific in terms of flatware, glassware or chairs, the Atrium and GBH have everything you need- just rent the linens you want (and Scott will even help arrange that!) and your event will be gorgeous!

We would recommend Scott, GBH, and the Atrium to anyone planning a special event, especially to any couple who wants a fantastic wedding. If you don't want to have to stress over the details-- this is the way to go. Choose the Atrium and GBH and you can be confident in knowing that Scott and the whole staff will bend over backwards to make your special day beautiful, classy, elegant, fun, and stress-free.

We simply couldn't be happier than with the quality and service that we received. We almost wish we could do it all again just to work with Scott and to plan another great event at the Atrium!

Sent on 05/21/2010

Melanie · Married on 09/01/2018

From start to finish, Great Blue Heron Catering exceeded our expectations. They were so easy to communicate with, and very supportive on our wedding day. The packages that GBH offer are thoughtful, budget-conscious, and all-encompassing. We chose to go buffet style with a full open bar. This also included 6 appetizers (2 plated, 4 passed) and 2 signature drinks. Everything was cooked perfectly, put out on time, and our guests loved it! As soon as the ceremony finished, the staff were waiting with drinks for the bridal party, and one server tracked the bride down and made sure she got a few of every appetizer.Just as impressive were the catering staff who were attentive to our needs, and quickly tidied up behind our guests. They even beat back stormwater from our reception tent when it began to thunderstorm during dinner. We’re so thankful to the whole Great Blue Heron Catering team!

Sent on 09/16/2018
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 09/01/2018

I'm so happy we got to eat the food at our tasting, because they really don't lie when they say you don't eat anything on your wedding day. Dispite that they were awesome. We're still hearing about how good the food and drinks were! They pulled some food from the cocktail hour aside for us, but my husband ate it all before I even had a chance lol. Truly awesome.

Keep in mind though that the tip is not included in the 15% service fee... they do give you a form for tipping, but it was just an extra cost we weren't expecting. Also our catering captain changed like 5 times. They were all great, but it was a little unnerving having them switch so often.

Sent on 09/17/2018

Meagan · Married on 10/14/2017

We got married at the Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. Leading up to the wedding, we largely worked with Jason Allen, who was awesome. The tasting was great - so great we had a hard time deciding what to pick because it was all so delicious! We did the full bar package, and we made a lot of substitutions to the beer and wine list; Jason took it all in stride. The food was delicious. We did a buffet with plated salads, and it worked perfectly. They handled all dietary allergies/restrictions without a hitch. They handled the table linens for us. We would happily use them again for a catering function. Thanks to all, especially Jason!

Sent on 10/31/2017

Lauren · Married on 06/09/2017

We were very pleased with Great Blue Heron catering and would absolutely hire them again for another event! From the tasting to the reception itself, the staff at GBH made our wedding meal experience flawless. At the tasting, we were very impressed with the experience and GBH's flexibility when we wanted to alter parts of the menu. It was a great value to go through GBH Catering through our wedding venue and the price was worth every penny (and more!). On the day of our wedding, when I'm sure the Chef had a million other things to worry about, he wanted to make sure he got everything right and we were happy, personally checking on us and ensuring our food and drinks were satisfactory. All of our guests were very impressed with their meals - both portion size and taste! We don't have enough great things to say about Great Blue Heron Catering!!

Sent on 07/04/2017

Lauren · Married on 07/23/2016

Great Blue Heron provides delicious food, great service, and a lot of choice and adaptations to the menu (gluten free, vegetarian options for guests). They really worked with us to to make sure that we got exactly what we wanted for our wedding day- even taking into account budget limitations. Very happy we chose to work with GBH for our wedding day- many guests commented that our food was delicious and the service was great!

Sent on 08/07/2016

Patrick · Married on 04/25/2015

GBH is the preferred vendor for Rust Manor house, and because of VABC rules the only bar provider you can have. Ordinarily I'd balk at being forced into that kind of lock-in, but GBH did an absolutely fantastic job. They have a wide variety on the dishes they are able to prepare and were happy to work with us on some custom arrangements. They also provided solid advice on food and side pairings.

On the day of the food was excellent and we received numerous compliments on the beef tenderloin and several of the side dishes. Our beer snob friends were pleased to see the selection of Devil's Backbone brews all were thrilled with the bar service. A special hat tip to the catering captain who made sure my wife and I got a hold of drink and some appetizers right after the ceremony.

Sent on 04/28/2015

Pablo · Married on 11/24/2014

We chose to go with the Atrium's in house catering, Great Blue Heron, because the food was amazing at the tasting! Overall we were very happy with the quality and presentation of food, and guests raved that it was the best wedding food they have ever had. Kristin helped us coordinate all of the logistics leading up to the reception and was extremely responsive, flexible, and helpful with everything! Kristin was also a huge help with our decision on our signature drink- something we were having a tough time with. We had a full bar, and buffet style dinner which guests were very happy with.

We had two minor negatives for the evening-we had our food plated vs. walking through the buffet with everyone and it arrived lukewarm at best, which was a little disappointing because it was perfect at the tasting. The other thing that bothered us (and something several guests mentioned as well) is that the staff was a little over zealous about clearing tables. I (the bride) had left my drink at our table and would go back to it now and again in between dancing, mingling, etc. and first they took away my drink, then my water glass. They quickly resolved it once I went to the bar and told them about it but guests also mentioned that their drinks, waters, and dessert plates would go away before they were done with them. Two tiny things in the scope of an overall wonderful evening. The caterers were even kind enough to send us home with two massive dishes of leftovers which was greatly appreciated on our end.

Overall we were very happy and really enjoyed our wedding dinner- yes, we made time to eat almost all of it and were also able to enjoy some appetizers from the cocktail hour as the caterers left us some in the private Lilac Room.

We would highly recommend Great Blue Heron to anyone hosting a wedding or event at The Atrium!

Sent on 01/04/2015

Kelsey · Married on 06/21/2014

Great Blue Heron were great. They are the caterer you pretty much have to use if you are getting married at The Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (outside catering vendors are not permitted to use the kitchen there). They have a great menu selection to choose from, but since we had a theme for our wedding (southern/lowcountry), they were kind enough to help us come up with a custom menu and tasting. The chefs were super friendly, creative and knowledgable. There was a minor scheduling error with our original tasting, but it was quickly rectified and everything was smooth sailing on our big day. And we got so many compliments on the food!

Sent on 02/11/2015

Suzanne · Married on 10/12/2013

It was a pleasure to work with Great Blue Heron. They were so flexible to work within my budget and menu goals. I so appreciated that were the caterer for the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority Venues in that I was even more confident everything would go smoothly.

Sent on 10/30/2013

Kelly · Married on 05/27/2012

Great Blue Heron Catering turned out to be a great choice! They gave us a GREAT deal and was WAY worth every penny we spent for food and alcohol. Everyone has been ranting and raving about how great the food was. I have even had people say how helpful all of the wait staff was as well! We loved the product we received and would recommend to anyone!!!

Sent on 06/15/2012
  • Lindsay

Lindsay · Married on 09/25/2011

My husband and I decided to go through the in-house caterer to save some money and they were more than accommodating. We told them we had a tight budget and they gave us some options to work within our budget and it happened to be everything that we wanted to get in the first place! When we had our tasting, we met one of the head chefs who was very nice and he also was our main guy for the reception. He came out and and shook our hands, congratulated us and personally served us our food. He was super professional and I would definitely go back to them. Our coordinator Alissa was very nice as well. She kept us in the loop with everything and told us what was going to happen every step of the way.

On the wedding day, the staff came out and introduce themselves to me and provided and plate of food for us and our bridal party as were were transitioning from ceremony to reception. Everyone was so pleasant and on top of their game.

Sent on 10/10/2011
  • Brittany

Brittany Z. · Married on 06/28/2019

Tasty Food, Professional and Accommodating

Liz with Great Blue Heron (GBH) was always very friendly and very accommodating! She was always giving us recommendations and truly wanted to help us stick to our budget while still accommodating our guests. I honestly can't believe the quality of food that we had with the price that we paid! So many guests raved about the food! The entire catering staff was SO friendly and always smiling, even the bartender was dancing while she was making drinks! They are a fun bunch and very professional, every penny was worth it!

Sent on 07/16/2019