Great Blue Heron Catering Reviews

132 | Vienna, VA

132 Reviews for Great Blue Heron Catering

I was extremely pleased with everything about Great Blue Heron. From the very beginning, they were responsive, on top of every detail, and very clear about everything that I should expect. They were personable and when I struggled to find an option that would meet my budget, the owner of the company called me personally to work through an option that would work. He was very willing and flexible to create an option that met my needs and that meant SO much. The food was excellent - you always hear of wedding food only being sub-par but I have had more than one guest since then specifically comment on how good our food was, without me prompting them. The team was experienced and knew exactly where to go and what to do. Their quality of food, and service, was overall a solid 5/5. I am so glad I chose them and am now recommending them to all of my current engaged friends!

Sent on 12/13/2015

Emily · Married on 07/17/2015

GBH catered our wedding at The Woodlands at Algonkian, and it was some of the best food I've ever tasted. They were easy to work with and flexible, and their menu is incredible. Our guests are still telling us how much they loved their food. Their prices are by far the best in the area.

Sent on 08/15/2015

Katie · Married on 06/20/2015

We got married at The Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens and Great Blue Heron was their in-house caterer. We loved working with them! The head chef was very attentive and made sure myself and my husband had everything we needed as soon as the ceremony ended! He personally but came and checked on us after the ceremony to see if we and the wedding party needed anything else before we headed out to take pictures.

The food was amazing!! Anyone we talked to afterwards said the food was really really good. We were able to mix up some of the items and customize the menu- for example - they have a miso glazed salmon with kimchi on the side. We really liked the sea bass but wanted to miso glaze/kimchi, so they made it for us! Great Blue Heron was very attentive and really great to work with, I definitely recommend using them!!

Sent on 07/12/2015

Brian and his team at Great Blue Heron were wonderful. The food was to die for! Two of our guests happened to be trained chefs and even they were impressed with the food. It was perfect. Brian is a character and likes to joke around during tastings but was all business at our reception. I (groom) am gluten intolerant and he was all over it. He even personally arranged and delivered a tray of appetizers to us before we went out into the gardens for portraits.

Sent on 06/25/2015

Koala · Married on 05/02/2015

The Chef Brian does amazing work as evident of the vast compliments I got from my picky family members. I am not exaggerating when I say picky in particular my Aunt. But the day of, she even complimented me and that she made a mistake. Thank you Brian, you don’t know what that mean to me! I definitely would recommend the Petit Filets of Beef and Szechuan Sea Bass as entrees. Guests kept going back for those entrees until it was all gone. GBH also does two signature drinks. We requested signature drinks in our wedding colors; it was such an unexpected nice touch! The wait staff was also polite and did a great job serving my guests for my early May 2015 wedding.

Sent on 06/21/2015

Sarah · Married on 02/21/2015

Great Blue Heron provided the catering for our wedding. They are the preferred caterer for Rust Manor House in Leesburg, VA. I am so glad they are. Their food is AMAZING, and their service is great! All of our questions were answered at our tasting and they even helped us with planning our linen rental needs for the day. We ended up with 8-9 inches of very heavy snow on our wedding day, but everyone made the day a success. All of our guests were commenting on how great everything tasted. Dennis and Liz were great!

Sent on 02/23/2015

Sent on 02/24/2015

They were absolutely amazing - We did all food, drinks, alcohol, and tablecloth rentals. My husband and I loved working with each member of this place!

Sent on 02/21/2015

Susanne · Married on 11/28/2014

Brian gave us the wedding of our dreams! This CIA trained chef is very talented and personable guy. The food was delicious, the presentation was gorgeous, and the staff was attentive. We couldn't have asked for more from Blue Heron. Brian went above and beyond to make sure we were happy and full. Christian was our Catering Captain and he was wonderful. He always made sure that we had a full drink and had something to eat. Kristin was patient with our numerous emails. She gave us clear instructions and calmed us down when we were nervous.

We can't say enough about this vendor. We are so blessed to have found Great Blue Heron!

Sent on 11/29/2014

Karen · Married on 11/16/2014

We got married at the Atrium this winter and had an amazing experience with GBH, which is the in-house caterer. The tasting was great - they were very easy about the number of people who could join and help make decisions. And the food was awesome! They helped us decide what foods would work well (looks, moisture, taste, presentation, etc) on the buffet. And we loved the appetizers so much that we decided to go heavy on the apps and displays, and only have 2 main buffet options and they were completely easy to work with to make sure we had enough (more than enough) food to make everyone happy. Brian, the main chef, even made us a take home vat of kimchi, which was one of my favorite moments of food at the tasting.

On the big day, my new husband and I decided we wanted to sit in the limo on our own before the reception entrance. Brian plated apps for us and brought them out (in the rain) to us. They were great! And while we kept getting up and running around, Brian kept our plated (with a buffet, they plate for the bride and groom) food warm and watched until we were sitting and brought it out. I was dancing all night and Christian, the catering chief, made sure there was a glass of water near me at all times. We also had some non-drinkers and guests told me that the waitstaff was really diligent about coming around with the non-alcoholic bubbles we ordered. The bar was also great - really organized, never a line. We had chosen a pretty broad selection of wines and specialty drinks and the staff had it covered. I heard the next day that one of the bottles of wine I had requested for myself had broken during prep and someone was out hunting for the same bottle right before the reception. I think that's pretty amazing.

My day of coordinator said working with the staff was fantastic and they "treated the wedding like one of their relatives was getting married." Direct quote. That's how I felt too. Oh, and they set up my DIY centerpieces!

Sent on 03/24/2015

Lisa · Married on 10/25/2014

Everything with Great Blue Heron was perfect. We were really impressed when we did our tasting and are so glad we went with them. They are the main caterer for our venue (Woodlands at Algonkian) and it made things really simple. They were very responsive and worked within our budget to provide great food. We received so many compliments at the reception on the food and the service. They were very flexible with drink options and did substitutions on the wine and beer for us without question. They also did the set up and maintenance of our s'more bar for us as well. Additionally, they served as the day of coordinator and were really on top of things. One of our vendors was running a little late, and they took care of that for us so we didn't have to worry. It was perfect and we could not have asked for better service.

Sent on 11/10/2014

Great Blue Heron is the in-house caterer for our venue, the Atrium at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, so we already provided much of our review there. Delicious and bountiful food combined with talented, friendly, and dedicated staff (including Chef Bryan, Kristin, Christian, and the day-of servers) made our reception sparkle. All of guests raved about both the food and the friendly service. In the months and weeks leading up to the event, GBH staff was responsive, professional, flexible, and friendly with us.

We cannot thank you enough for all that you did to make our wedding so special. Highly recommend GBH.

Sent on 11/11/2014

Jenny · Married on 10/11/2014

We loved Great Blue Heron. Our wedding was at the Atrium at Meadowlark, and if you use GBH, you get a discount, so we went into the tasting really hoping it would be good. The food at the tasting was delicious, and the chef, Brian, came out and spoke with us personally about the dishes.
    GBH gave us a great deal for both food and bar. Of course, you always worry that food won't hold up to such massive group cooking, but GBH was perfect. So many guests said it was some of the best wedding food they'd ever had.
    GBH arranged to have appetizers waiting for us in a private room after the ceremony, which was nice so we could make sure to get a bite to eat. They also offered up an option for us to have a "to go" box, which we definitely took them up on. They actually gave us two large roasting pans worth of food! My only regret with leaving the next day for the honeymoon is that our family got to enjoy the leftovers and we couldn't.
    Brian happily accommodated all of our special requests. We even had two "last minute" vegans, and that was no problem at all. He confirmed the menu at the rehearsal and made sure to check in before leaving after dinner at the wedding.
    If I could hire Brian to come cook dinner for me every night, I would!

Sent on 10/29/2014

Luke · Married on 09/28/2014

We had countless guests report that the food they enjoyed at our wedding was the best they had at a wedding - ever. My sister contacted them directly due to a soy allergy concern - to which she received a very quick and professional reply from the caterer stating that a separate meal would be made available to her on the day of our wedding (this was done without additional cost, or effort from us) which made the entire experience like a family dinner. If you have a specific meal in mind they provide delicious food - if you're looking for a nice family meal the lead caterer will make outstanding suggestions to accommodate for your desires!

Sent on 10/22/2014

Amazing food and equally amazing staff.

Sent on 09/10/2014

Kelly · Married on 07/19/2014

AMAZING!!!!!! The food, drinks and service were outstanding. I have received so many good words from guests about the food - it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding! Liz was so great to work with over the year planning my wedding. She was so quick to answer my gazillion questions and even helped me with other aspects of the wedding. Highly, highly recommend using GBH.

Sent on 08/18/2014

Kelli · Married on 07/11/2014

We got married at Meadowlark Botanical Garden in Vienna and Blue Heron Catering was the in-house caterer! My family is from NY and if you have ever been to a NY wedding you know that the cocktail hour is ridiculous and people are usually full after it. I was really concerned that the food wouldn't be enough for our guests so we went with buffet style dinner and regular cocktail hour. All of our guest raved about the food quality! There was plenty of food and our guests seemed very happy with the selections we made. The catering department was very understanding of our budget and helped us to make the right choices and get the best bang for our buck! I also want to call out Chef Brian at Meadowlark. He was AMAZING... for the tasting he sat with us and talked about our food choices. When we went to pick our linens he came in and offered us a taste of something new he was trying out and at our final walk through I mentioned that I really wanted cannoli at the wedding but was having trouble finding a place to get them and BAM... Brian said he would take care of it, and he did. We had a really great experience with them and there are so many perks to choosing the in-house caterer for the wedding (signature drinks, table wine service, reduced cost)

Sent on 07/19/2014

We loved working with Great Blue Heron for our wedding at Rust Manor. We were blown away by our tasting (we even had delicious leftovers for a week!) The food on the day of did not disappoint. We chose the buffet option and guests were all raving about the food. It was easy to pick different options and you really can't go wrong--it was hard to pick just 5 appetizers! On top of that, the buffet line moved quickly and it helped us keep on our timeline. They did a great job setting up our tables and folding our napkins and were very responsive to the wedding party's needs on the day of the wedding. We also loved how a signature drink and table side wine/champagne were included in the standard beverage package. What a great value! Our bartender did a great job serving guests and there were no lines or lags in service. Lastly, Liz at GBH was great to work of and we appreciated her responsiveness and flexibility. I would recommend them to any couple!

Sent on 05/20/2014

Can't say enough good things about Great Blue Heron Catering.
    Service exceptional.
    They were flexible and professional and courteous to work with.
    Food was exceptional - guests commented how delicious it was.

Sent on 05/07/2014

Marilyn · Married on 04/05/2014

delicious, fairly priced, and flexible. Everything you would want! We got so many compliments on the food it was ridiculous.

Sent on 04/06/2014

We received so many wonderful compliments on the food and service at my daughter's wedding catered by Great Blue Heron. They were fantastic!

Sent on 12/31/2013

Lynnette · Married on 11/23/2013

My wedding was 2 days ago and I think my guests are still stuffed and happy:). Working with Blue Heron is a great experience, not just for the very high quality food, but for the amazing chefs and staff. From our first meeting with Blue Heron, we felt comfortable that we were in good hands. They are professionals who clearly cater a lot of events, and their experience shows. They are an excellent value--we feel that we more than got our money's worth. The food at our wedding reception was fantastic and plentiful. And our bartenders were the best! If I were starting to plan my wedding today, I would choose Blue Heron all over again.

Sent on 11/25/2013

Claudia · Married on 10/11/2013

These guys were great. Because Meadowlark Gardens (my venue) is technically park land, I had to use Great Blue Heron for alcohol as they are the only ones licensed to serve in a park. However, I had heard good things about the food served by them at other events, so I decided to use them for the food, too. I came into the first tasting having already emailed back and forth with Liz about the menu I had planned and, with one minor exception (which they tweaked to my satisfaction), the chefs nailed it. The food, from the appetizers to the salad to the entrees, were amazing. And everything was EXTREMELY reasonable. My menu wasn't too fancy, but I was still surprised with how reasonable they were about the price per person. One caveat: the wine list was a little limited; however, they allowed my then-fiancee and I to bring in some wine and booze that they couldn't get through their vendors (ask nicely!). Overall, I was impressed by the quality and value of our meal!

Sent on 02/18/2014

The Great Blue Heron Catering's staff were pleasant and very accommodating. Not only was there plenty of food but it was delicious.

Sent on 02/26/2014

Varian · Married on 07/13/2013

I had my wedding at the Atrium and the catering staff was such a joy to work with. Professional, friendly, accommodating. I would definitely recommend using them if you are having your wedding there. We got a lot of perks for doing so that made for an extra special event. They food was also excellent- my guests raved about the beef entree!

Sent on 09/03/2013