Great Blue Heron Catering Reviews

132 | Vienna, VA

132 Reviews for Great Blue Heron Catering

• Anneka

Anneka · Married on 11/05/2017

Great Blue Heron were great to work with. Liz was very responsive to the endless questions that arose! Dennis was amazing, and we were able to put together a menu that was special to us! Can't thank him enough for going out of his way to accommodate our requests. On the day of, everything ran smoothly. The staff were amazing, and while the bridal party were taking pictures, they made sure to bring food and drinks outside to make sure we all were fed and watered :) The food was unbelievable. Everyone has raved about how amazing the cocktail hour spread was, and honestly, the only "complaint" I have heard from guests, was that there was too much food!!!! LOL - simply wonderful - I highly recommend Great Blue Heron!! Thank you all for your hard work!!

Sent on 11/17/2017
  • Athena

Athena · Married on 10/31/2017

The food was amazing!! The only thing I noticed was the lighting in the dining hall made it a little difficult for the staff to tell the difference between the purple and black cards (indicating beef or fish) AND people moved their seats at the parents table making GBH’s master copy of the meal choice reversed, which was NO fault to GBH at all. For that I apologize, I didn’t know they were moved until everyone was seated (and still don’t know who moved them). But they worked it out and everyone has complimented on how great the food was. Thank you so very very much! Forgive me for not remembering her name but the woman who was overseeing the dinner/waitstaff was absolutely amazing and I am 100% positive her goal the whole night was to ensure not only was I happy, but everyone at our wedding reception was happy! Again, thank you for being a very critical part of our wedding day and looking back, I wish I had gotten a picture of all the staff together!

Sent on 11/01/2017

Demetria · Married on 10/27/2017

We absolutely loved Great Blue Heron. Liz was fantastic - so responsive, extremely friendly, and helped us get everything together for the reception. The food was EXCELLENT. The tasting was free, which is how it should be. Everything we had was amazing, and that carried through to the wedding day. We got tons of compliments from every single guest we spoke to about how delicious the food was, and how great the bartenders were. My only complaint is that the coffee and tea that we requested to be served, never was. Not sure what happened there, but it's not a deal breaker. We also had the experience most people have at weddings, where full glasses and plates of food were taken by staff before they were done with them. This is also not a deal breaker, but something to note for GBH for the future :)

Overall, we could not have been happier with GBH as our vendor. It's so much easier having in-house catering (we had our wedding at Rust), who also helps to handle linens and other extraneous details. I definitely recommend using GBH for your wedding, or really any other nice event you need a caterer for!

Sent on 01/04/2018

Katie · Married on 10/21/2017

We loved Great Blue Heron! Liz was super responsive during the entire planning process and Dennis, the head chef, was amazing during our tasting. They were willing to make some changes and adjust anything to our needs. The food was DELICIOUS! On the wedding day, the server responsible for taking care of my husband and I was so quick to make sure we had everything we need and checked in frequently. They provided drinks/appetizers during cocktail hour while we took pictures, and served us a plated dinner even though we had a buffet. We even got a to go box (it was huge) with a bunch of food at the end of the night. The macaroni and cheese was outstanding, and we got several compliments on our food. Everyone was extremely professional and helpful all night.

Sent on 10/24/2017
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 09/29/2017

GBH was fabulous to work with and their food delicious. The chef is happy to make anything you want and the manager is incredibly responsive. We prioritized food for our wedding and we were not disappointed. Many of our guests commented how delicious and how much food we had available. I think the tasting with them was the best part of wedding planning - so many delicious options to choose from. From a great craft beer selection to fun appetizers to a huge and delicious buffet you can't get a better caterer. Thank you!

Sent on 10/31/2017

Taylor · Married on 08/12/2017

We had a great experience using Great Blue Heron as our wedding caterer for our wedding on August 12th, 2017. We wanted to do a brunch wedding reception, and they were able to accommodate our request and vision for that to make it happen. We attended a tasting a few months before the wedding, and they made sure to prepare the food from the brunch menu for us even though the other couples there had the regular dinner menu. Dennis was friendly and helpful to us, and he helped us modify the food and beverage packages to suit our needs. Liz was also a very helpful and responsive point of contact. The pricing for the food/beverages was very reasonable, with the price per person including plates, glassware, silverware, and servers/bartenders.
    The food at the wedding was hot, fresh, and delicious! We did a brunch buffet, and they had plenty of everything and never ran out of anything. The caterers prepared small plates of the cheese/crackers and the fruit appetizers that they were serving for cocktail hour and placed them in a separate room for my husband and I immediately after the ceremony so we would have a chance to eat some food in private before going outside again to take photos. They also prepared plated meals for my husband and I so we had food on our table immediately when we sat down for the reception. It was incredibly convenient because we did not have to go through the buffet line with everyone else, because that would have taken much longer and would have not been easy in my big wedding dress! All of the Great Blue Heron staff was very friendly and accommodating throughout the reception.
    The food was delicious, and our guests really enjoyed it. Even days after the wedding, we kept hearing from our guests about how much the loved the food. Many people said that the food was the best they ever had at a wedding! We are very happy with our experience with Great Blue Heron and we would recommend them to anyone looking for wedding caterers.

Sent on 09/10/2017

Arion · Married on 07/22/2017

Great Blue Heron and Liz (our contact) were amazing! The food was phenominal and the service was impecable. I had worried that having a plated dinner would cause some guests to recieve their food long after other guests had finished dinner but this was not at all the case. The staff that day were quick to bring out every meal and all of our guests told us that it was some of the best food they have ever had at a wedding.

Liz was great throughout the entire process and helped me every step of the way! I also loved that she dealt with all the linen orders and that I didn't have to worry about it!

Sent on 08/01/2017
  • W

Will · Married on 07/01/2017

Blue Heron was amazing! We were so happy with the catering at our wedding, and Liz and the entire crew were so wonderful to us throughout the big day and the months leading up to it! Our guests LOVED the Mexican buffet they put together for us, and the staff were so wonderful, kind and helpful throughout the evening. We cannot recommend them enough!

Sent on 07/05/2017

Suzanne · Married on 05/26/2017

Great Blue Heron Catering was, by far, the best catering we found in the DC area. We looked at various caterers, and GBH had the best tasting food, was the most generous with their portions and options, and they had the best prices too. Their food was top-notch (all our guests agreed that it was some of the best food they've ever had at a wedding). The GBH staff also helps throughout the entire reception, and everyone was incredibly flexible, supportive, and professional. They go above and beyond in providing a lot of little things for the couple, including a private snack after the ceremony in the prep room (to include champagne and the signature drink!) and boxed leftovers of food. They were great to work with from start to finish! If you are having an event at NOVA Parks, you should absolutely pick GBH! Thank you to everyone at GBH who made our event at The Atrium at Meadowlark perfect!

Sent on 06/18/2017

Nadia · Married on 05/05/2017

AMAZING. DELICIOUS. WONDERFUL. We had our wedding at the Atrium at Meadowlark, & GBH was the in-house caterer. Many of our picky-eater guests mentioned that they loved the delicious food! Also, GBH went above & beyond to make the day run smoothly. Our guests told us afterwards about how friendly & accommodating GBH was during the reception. They weren't just providing great food, they were providing logistical support behind the scenes.

Special GBH people:
    Brian - the executive chef. What a friendly & warm guy! During the tasting, he worked with our budget which helped us gain wiggle room. Right before the ceremony, he was super flexible about keeping the ceremony outdoors, even though the weather called for rain. It didn't matter though, he reassured us that the staff would be able to do a full transition within 5 mins & bring us all indoors if need be. We felt like they were all working to make our day wonderful.

Jason - Catering captain. Jason is awesome. He had been responding to my manic emails for 1.5 years, answering all my (somewhat) bridezilla questions, & placating my crazy with quick & thorough answers. We finally met in person & he was hilarious! My (now) husband & I really appreciated his insight, recommendations, & help through the months.

Carson - Catering captain. MVP. She was amazing at coordinating with all the vendors, the DJ for timing, & being the glue to the entire wedding flow & logistics! She was able to make the room look like a whimsical fairy tale - & with just a handful of flowers & several bags of loose petals I gave her. She had zero guidance from me, this was all from her own creativity - & it was gorgeous.

Pricing - we initially planned on using an outside caterer, until we went to GBH's tasting (so delicious!) & saw their package inclusions. All other catering & scenarios just did not compare.

We highly recommend GBH to all future brides and grooms. Thank you, Brian, Jason, and Carson!

Sent on 05/23/2017

Alex · Married on 04/08/2017

We went with Great Blue Heron largely because they were the in-house caterer at the Atrium at Meadowlark, which made planning much easier. They turned out to be incredible, and we're so happy with all the services they provided. Jason was flexible and accommodating, allowing us to swap in different beers and deal with various dietary restrictions. We got numerous compliments from our guests on the food, especially the cheese board. Everyone loved the bartenders; they were very friendly, and they didn't hold back on the liquor. The servers were friendly and attentive, and they worked very quickly. Finally, GBH helped us coordinate the number and types of linens we needed to rent. GBH was great all around.

Sent on 04/29/2017

Kelly · Married on 04/08/2017

We had a great experience working with Great Blue Heron. We initially decided to use them for ease because they were the in-house caterer for our venue, the Atrium at Meadowlark, but their quality and service really won us over. The whole team was really friendly, professional and quick to reply to emails, and they worked with us to craft a menu that met our needs (including our guests' dietary restrictions). We received lots of compliments on the food and the service throughout the evening (especially their bartenders!).

Sent on 04/29/2017
  • Ellen

Ellen · Married on 12/30/2016

I'm so glad we had Great Blue Heron cater our wedding reception! The food is magnificent and the service was absolutely incredible. Ashley, Liz, and Dennis are so professional and easy to work with and catered to our every need (pun intended). We had a somewhat unique situation that required some extra tweaking and attention, and they handled it beautifully. Our event moved so smoothly and we got so many compliments from our guests on the food. What's more, the wait staff was just delightful. I was hesitant to go with an on-site caterer/ venue package deal because I wasn't sure if it was a way for the venue to get extra money, but we actually ended up saving so much because the caterer is on-site. Thank you, Great Blue Heron for making our special day so magical!

Sent on 01/11/2017

Christine · Married on 11/18/2016

From start to finish, catering staff were professional and easy to work with! We enjoyed the tasting, signature drinks, and guests raved about the delicious meal on our wedding day. We had difficulty narrowing down menu choices because there were so many yummy options. Couples looking for delicious food, respectable staff, and a clear streamline planning experience, this is the caterer to go with!

Sent on 01/27/2017

Kara · Married on 10/29/2016

Great Blue Heron catering was recommended by our venue (Rust Manor) and we were very pleased with the service received. The food was great, we received many compliments from our guests. The chef worked with us at the tasting to ensure we were getting what we wanted. And Liz was great to work with throughout - friendly, professional and responsive. You will be in good hands with them!

Sent on 12/10/2016
  • Maia

Maia · Married on 08/20/2016

GREAT QUALITY FOOD! AMAZING! I was referred to them by my venue, Rust Manor. The food tasting was to die for. I just wish I could have had more of it for myself at my wedding :( Such a busy day! So many compliments. THANK YOU

Sent on 12/20/2016

SO GLAD we found the Atrium at the Meadowlark and Great Blue Heron catering! Amazing and professional team that works with you to give you exactly what you're looking for on your wedding. Not only did the place look amazing but our guests were well taken care of, with plenty of food and drinks at the buffet and open bar, and we (bride and groom) were very well taken care of as well. Many guests told us it was the best wedding food they've ever had and will serve as their standard from here on out, and we totally agree!

Sent on 07/10/2016
  • Charlie

Charles · Married on 06/22/2016

Brian and his staff were amazing. The food was absolutely delicious. The only hard part of the experience was deciding which dishes to serve, since everything was fantastic. We cannot say enough about our experience with Great Blue Heron Catering. We would definitely recommend them for anyone looking for a caterer for either a wedding or any event. You won't regret your choice.

Sent on 06/26/2016

Rachel · Married on 02/20/2016

We cannot express how awesome Great Blue Heron is; they make some of the best food I have ever had (I wish I could get their mac & cheese on a regular basis)! They are also great people to work with, very friendly and try the best they can to give you the best day possible. We definitely loved working with them and would recommend them to anyone searching for a caterer!

Sent on 02/29/2016

April · Married on 11/21/2015

Everything from tasting to passed apps and dinner service on the wedding day was spot on and so delicious! Our guests were so happy and full, we heard several times that the food was so good, they didn't want to keep eating but they did! They give you so much bang for your buck. We didn't hear a single complaint about the food, service, or staff. They even helped us out when our officiant didn't show and they didn't have to. We appreciate the way they went above and beyond. We loved our experience and wouldn't change a thing with Great Blue Heron!

Sent on 11/27/2015

Great Blue Heron recently catered our wedding at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens and they were wonderful. We attended a tasting with them several months before our wedding and were very happy with the quality of the food and the large variety of options. We received numerous compliments from our guests! They were very responsive and flexible to our requests and were very attentive throughout our wedding reception.

Sent on 11/15/2015

Dennis was amazing and patient (even with some slightly obnoxious family members in the mix). We are still getting compliments on the food from the wedding! Everything about the catering was perfect - food, portion size, presentation - nothing could have gone better. Also, as a bride with a severe food allergy, I was not expecting to have a lot of choice in the wedding meal - I was wrong. Dennis was extremely knowledgeable about contamination issues in the kitchen and made me comfortable at every point in the process. Instead of having one stripped down meal option - I had lists of food to choose from and a staff that knew about separation in the kitchen. There was nothing about my meal that felt like I was settling for whatever they had or the best I could get. If anything - I was absolutely spoiled. The staff was amazing - polite and attentive and just plain wonderful. I'd recommend them for any event possible as they genuinely care about your experience.

Sent on 12/08/2015

Dana · Married on 10/09/2015

Amazing food! It definitely did not taste like your standard wedding food - it was gourmet and delicious! They catered our wedding at Rust Manor House in October 2015.

Sent on 11/25/2015

GBH catered our wedding at The Atrium at Meadowlark and they were wonderful! Very professional and responsive to our requests. We were not local but they still planned with us from abroad in a quick and timely manner. When we said we were interested in working with them they arranged a full tasting and when we had a menu change to something we never tried before, they even setup a small tasting of that new item as well! The food was all delicious- we had a guest who needed a special non-menu dinner the night of the wedding and the catering team was not only willing to work with the last minute adjustment but was very understanding as well. Service throughout the night was great and the team was very attentive to our guests. It may cost a pretty penny but worth every cent!

Sent on 10/17/2015

We booked Great Blue Heron through our venue, The Woodlands at Algonkian. We couldn't be happier with the quality of food and drink we received. We had a plated dinner (choices of beef, chicken, salmon and a vegetarian option) and an open bar. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They made sure my husband and I had everything we needed from food to drinks all night. Very pleased with everyone we worked with and they were quick to respond to emails and set up tastings and provide suggestions for items.

Sent on 12/31/2015