Gayle's Bakery Reviews

24 | Capitola, CA

24 Reviews for Gayle's Bakery

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Kiyoko · Married on 08/27/2016

We had a small wedding which meant we did not need a traditional wedding cake. Instead, we decided to order Princess Cakes from Gayle's in a few different sizes. I only needed to order them a few days in advance because they make them every day. This was a great option for me because I didn't want to spend a lot of time or stress about cake tastings and design, but I wanted something beautiful and delicious. All the guests loved it and the estimate of how many people each cake would serve was very generous.

We had the most beautiful and delicious wedding cake! We thought we would have leftovers because usually not everyone eats the cake. We had to take our piece to save for our anniversary and the rest was eaten. Our guests LOVED the cake and kept going back for more. The flavors were amazing and so unique. We were so pleased with our cake.

Cheryl · Married on 12/28/2014

I cannot believe how beautiful our cake was. It was a simple, elegant and delicious cake. The flavors were excellent, not too sweet. Irene was a great consultant. She was professional and knowledgeable, and we can tell that she loves what she does.

Cheryl · Married on 12/28/2014

My wedding cake was great, not too sweet. The flavor was perfectly blended. They were able to design my cake to perfection. Irene was an awesome consultant.

My daughter and new son-in-law wanted a non-traditional cake - a copy of their dog's face! It was fabulous! In addition, the apricot butter cream poppyseed cake underneath was delicious. They also chose a traditional "sheet cake" of salted carmel chocolate which was to die for! Gayle's never lets you down. They have superb for over the 20 years I've been going there! This is the second wedding cake I've had from there (son used them also!)

We got our wedding cake from Gayle's and the whole process was a wonderful experience, from the tasting, to the planning, to the final product on our wedding day. We got a vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream and real fresh strawberries, with white chocolate frosting. It was absolutely delectable! Our guests went back for seconds and thirds, and my husband I were really glad that we had a whole top tier to ourselves! The cake was also beautiful, and looked exactly like the photos I gave the cake coordinator. The price was super reasonable, and both the pricing and the cake itself were better than other popular bakeries in town. We highly recommend Gayle's!

Diana · Married on 10/19/2013

Never have I seen a more beautiful wedding cake that tasted so incredible than the cake Gayle's created for our wedding! It was not only beautiful, it was absolutely delicious. So much so, that we had 3 different flavored tiers, and I ate a slice from each! We shared the top tier with our guests because we decided early on, we will order our 1st anniversary cake fresh.

From the beginning, I have said I really want a great photographer and a delicious cake... I got BOTH!

Thank you Gayle's Bakery for making my dream cake a reality!!!

Jessica · Married on 05/19/2013

Everybody that came to our wedding could not stop raving about the cake! I was a little unsure if it would make it thought the hot five hours that it had to sit on the table before it was cut, but it somehow made it. It looked perfect from the time I laid eyes on it after the ceremony until the time we cut the first slice.

The wedding cake sales representative Irene was very helpful during our cake tasting. She brought out five huge slices of cake and gave us time to taste (and re-taste!) each one. She patiently helped me go through cake designs and looked at some pictures I had on my phone to help create exactly the wedding cake I had in mind. The fresh flowers were absolutely beautiful!

Since my husband didn't have much of an opinion on the design, I made sure to let him decide on the flavor. Except we couldn't because they were all so delicious! So we went with a three tiered cake with two tiers with lemon cake and raspberry jam and a third tier with chocolate. So delicious. We had ordered a bigger cake than we needed because we had expected more people so we were afraid that there would be a lot of cake left over. We didn't have to worry though because people went for seconds until there wasn't any cake left. I highly recommend Gayle's Bakery!

We loved our cake and did not pay a crazy amount. We tried 5 different cake places and thought Gayle's was the best overall. They did a perfect job designing it and even put together a beautiful flower arrangement for the top of our cake. I love cake, so I made sure to have both the chocolate and lemon pieces the night of the wedding. Yummy!

• Airlie

Airlie · Married on 09/18/2011

We chose the most delicious and cute princess cakes for my wedding. They were affordable and we were able to reserve them just a couple weeks before the wedding. Easy and perfect!

Debbie · Married on 09/27/2009

Gayles bakery is top notcha and provided the best tasting most talked about wedding cake ever for our wedding! People kept coming back for more and it was completely gone, except for the covetted cake top! Kathy the manager there really came through for us and we would highly recommend Gayles Bakery to everyone we know!

monet · Married on 09/12/2009

Gayles made the best wedding cake I've ever tasted.

Debbie · Married on 09/06/2008

The flavor and moisture of our cake was unbelievable. The BEST. The cake tasting was fantastic, they have so much to choose from. The designer did a perfect job giving us the exact cake we asked for.

Lisa · Married on 08/16/2008

Soooo Yummy and sooo beautiful, absolutely perfect!

Emily · Married on 07/19/2008

We went with Gayle's initially because their cakes were literally hundreds less than many of the others in the area. We really didn't expect to have it taste as good as the higher priced cakes since we would be paying less, and that would have been fine. The cake was excellent though. Guests are still telling us how much they liked it, and rumor has it that many people were asking for third and fourth slices! The cake was simple yet elegant and colors matched perfectly with everything else. We would highly recommend Gayle's for affordable, beautiful and tasty cakes!

Michelle · Married on 06/07/2008

First off, they give you HUUUUGE pieces of cake to sample FOR FREE. Everywhere else we went they wanted a down payment first. They also do white chocolate shell instead of that yucky fondant stuff which tastes like chalk. They're different in a good way, using different flavors. They're willing to try new things. Our cake was totally custom, I brought in a picture of what I wanted and they did it perfectly. They even help out with ideas. The cake is to die for, not dry just heaven! Prices are really reasonable too. We actually have a ton of cake (besides the top) left over in our freezer too.

• Karen

Karen · Married on 09/23/2007

Gayle's Bakery is simply the best! Once we selected our wedding location in the Santa Cruz Mountains, friends told us we had to go to Gayle's for our wedding cake. They were married in San Francisco and had almost given up on finding a quality wedding cake, until they were referred to Gayle's. On our first visit to Gayle's we had lunch and made our appointment with the wedding cake consultant. The place was packed and the lunch was fantastic. From then on, each time we visited the area, we stopped by Gayle's for something, anything. Working with Irene at Gayle's was a delight. At our first appointment, she had several samples of cakes, icings, and fillings for us to try. We spent the afternoon enjoying them and there was no doubt they would be making our cake. Once we were booked, they created two more samples for us based on what we wanted to see combined. It was all delicious and we ended up going with the carrot cake - too yummy. Irene kept great notes and each time I spoke with her she was able to pick up our conversation right where we'd left off the time before. Personal service on top of great cake at a reasonable price - who could beat that? She even referred us to the florist we used. As for decorating the cake, Irene showed us notebooks of photos of previous cakes, we viewed those going out for the day, and she was completely open to do anything we could show her. On our wedding day, a bakery person delivered and setup the cake right on schedule. It looked beautiful and tasted great. Everyone expects wedding cake just not to be fantastic - this one was. Even our wedding photographer said it was the best wedding cake she had ever eaten - and she eats wedding cake a couple of times a week! I thought she was being nice, until I saw that she'd made the same comment on her MySpace page and included a link to Gayle's, saying that all her Bay Area brides should give Gayle's a try.

As all of our guests traveled to attend our wedding, we had events the day before and a brunch the day after. Gayle's provided the food for the brunch and we referred our guests to visit Gayle's for other meals during their visit to the area. Everyone absolutely loved the food from Gayle's Bakery, from the wedding cake to the quiche to the sandwiches and more. You can not go wrong by going to Gayle's!

Jessica · Married on 09/22/2007

The staff at Gayle's made our experience so easy and fun, especially when we initially cake-tasted the samples for free. It was incredibly yummy...and difficult for us to make a decision! My husband and I were very happy with the result. Our cake was simple, yet elegant. It was exactly what we wanted.

Esperanza · Married on 04/20/2013

The staff at Gayle's was easy to work with. Not only was our cake beautiful but it was delicious as well. The bakery worked with my florist to design a wonderful cake and the flowers were even included in the price.

Kristy · Married on 05/01/2009

3.0

Our guest all said it was the best wedding cake they had ever tasted. Our cake looked amazing and tasted even better. We also got our grooms cake there. We gave them full creative reins on the grooms cake. They blew us away, making a cake with a chocolate tank blasting out of it. (My husbands in the army.) It was so much fun to go cake tasting there and I would highly recommend them for weddings, parties, and tasty treats.

Alison · Married on 06/23/2007

The cake here is incredible! So moist and delicious, my mom and I had the best time sampling cakes and could barely narrow it down to three for the layers! They worked with us to figure out exactly when and where to deliver it so that it would be at its peak for the reception. Wonderful!

Renee · Married on 07/24/2010

The cake is tasty and seemed pretty affordable -- however -- we did not shop around. We had a destination wedding and only met with Gayle's, so I'm not sure if it was the best price or the best tasting, but it did taste good. :)

We did hit a snag along the way... Our second (custom tasting & to go over designs) appointment didn't go so smoothly... I called a few weeks in advance to schedule & was told they couldn't meet with me because it was the week before Mother's Day & they were too busy. I was so upset! We had the trip planned & it was the last before the actual event! After a third try, I was told I would be able to meet with someone on the night we arrived... So we rushed to get there & unfortunately, it was not a designer, so the meeting was kind of pointless... We basically could of exchanged the info via email & phone. =/

After that, everything was fine... Until confirming everything a few weeks before the wedding -- we realized there was a miscommunication regarding timing and how long the cakes could be unrefrigerated... Thankfully, Irene (one of the sales managers) offered to have the cakes delivered to fix the issue -- which we were very happy about!

The cakes were tasty and pretty close to the design we were looking for... The white chocolate flowers weren't quite the same as the design I had requested & the fresh flowers on two of the side cakes weren't really what we asked for...But overall, they were pretty & everyone enjoyed it.

Rebecca · Married on 07/05/2008

3.8
      2.5

The cake looked and tasted great! It was perfect! This bakery is not a wedding cake bakery, so it isn't their specialty, but I was really impressed. Kind of expensive though.

Taniya · Married on 08/20/2006

3.6
      3.5
      2.5
      3.0

Gayle's bakery has excellent food. Their cakes are also to die for. They were very friendly during our cake tasting. There were so many cakes to taste from. We chose three different cakes...one for each layer of cake. It was very good. Unfortunately, they did make a mistake and didn't add tiers to my cake as requested. My florist wasn't sure how to work around this, but I wasn't too upset about it. It still looked beautiful. Gayle's felt so bad, they refunded our entire cake. Wow! What great customer service. We continue to go there for all our catering and bakery needs.