Focus on Joy Photography Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

• Kimiko
    Kimiko W. Getting married on 04/08/2022

Amazing - hire her!

Simply AMAZING - Where do I even begin!?! I hired Jessica to photograph my small, COVID-style elopement ceremony and she went above and beyond. I'm overwhelmed by how thrilled I am with my wedding photos. There are SO many reasons to hire her to document your most intimate and important moments. 1 - She is TALENTED, her photos are beautiful, she takes candid shots that capture the exact feel of the moment, portraits that look classy and not stilted or posed, and most of all, every photo has my REAL smile which is hard to accomplish 2 - She is so committed. From the moment we started working together she checked in multiple times to see if I needed recommendations on any other vendors. She helped me find a florist, location for a 2nd shoot after the ceremony and a videographer with less than a week's notice who filmed the ceremony affordably. 3 - She is an amazing person you'd want to have present at your wedding, she's able to make you laugh through ALL of the photos, calm you down under pressure and the perfect combination of laid back but professional. I'd hire her again 10000 times!
  • Renee
    Renee G. Getting married on 04/08/2022

You can't go wrong with Jess!

We could not have been happier with Jess and feel so lucky to have been able to work with her. She is on top of everything, professional, and of course a very skilled photographer. At the same time she is incredibly caring, thoughtful, and was always there for us. We received so many comments from guests about how great she was on the wedding day too! We would work with her again in a heartbeat and she captured our wedding day exactly as we had imagined!
    Allison H. Married on 11/29/2020

A Perfect Day

My now husband and I aren't naturally photo people, but Jess made it so comfortable for us. It was a perfect day. Jess was great communicating with us throughout our wedding planning and for our engagement photos.

The photographs are beautiful. I couldn't be more grateful.
  • Rachel
    Rachel H. Married on 07/25/2020

Hire Her Yesterday!!!

Jessica was simply amazing. Like many couples, we had to postpone twice because of covid, but Jess was so flexible and attentive to all of our needs, wants, and questions. I loved how organized she was and how she led pictures on the day of the wedding so smoothly and efficiently. Her prices are MORE than fair for the incredible quality of service. We are seriously so grateful for her kindness and professionalism throughout our whole wedding process and cannot recommend her enough!! Thank you Jess!!!
    Justin W. Married on 11/11/2018

Wedding Photos

My wife and I could not be happier with our decision to choose Jess as our wedding photographer. We do not have many photos and were nervous since we are not photogenic people. We absolutely love the photos and will be using Jess in the future as our family grows.
  • Jarred
    Jarred V. Married on 11/09/2018

She's the best!

Jess was great and I highly recommend her. She paid attention to so many small details, got to know us personally, and it was a pleasure having her there that day. She even gave us a ride from the ceremony to the reception because we had totally forgotten to plan that part. Mostly importantly... her pictures are epic.
  • Molly
    Molly Married on 10/21/2018

VIP Client Attention & Incomparable Photography

Looking for a wedding photographer? LOOK NO FURTHER. Jess from Focus on Joy is TOPS. Jess communicated with us several times before our wedding day, asking thorough questions about our day, our families, and what shots we really wanted. These conversations contributed to a seamless day: Jess had memorized the names of our family members, chatted easily with them and made them laugh as she captured GORGEOUS pictures of them. Jess gave us beautiful photos that we can cherish for a lifetime, and contributed to the overall success of our wedding. Thank you FOCUS ON JOY PHOTOGRAPHY!

Bonus: She even knew the schedule of the day so well that she helped direct family and bridal party members to where they should go!
    Jerry Event on: 06/22/2018
    My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Richmond, and Jess did an exceptional job photographing the festivities. Family members came in from all over the country for what was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event, so every aspect of photography had to be perfect. Jess excelled at advance planning, customer communication, capturing lots of great impromptu and staged shots, adjusting as circumstances warranted, etc. I strongly recommend Focus on Joy Photography to anyone seeking a highly professional, technically competent, customer service-oriented, and competitively priced photographer for a wedding, anniversary, or other important event.
    Sarah D. Married on 06/02/2018

Amazing! Jess is the best!

Jess is the most supportive, organized, imaginative, and patient photographer! Months after our engagement session and wedding day, I can still experience all the laughs, love, and joy through the beautiful gallery she created. Jess not only takes amazing photos but she also gives amazing wedding planning advice. My husband and I enjoyed working with her and hope to work with her again in the future!
    Halle Married on 05/18/2018
    Photos were amazing! Very flexible! Overal great experience!
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany Married on 10/15/2017
    To say that Jessica was amazing is probably an understatement! From the first phone call, I knew that working with her would be great. She took our engagement photos, we surprised her and decided to elope and she took those photos as well. She also captured our wedding photos a few months later. I have referred her to EVERYONE I can think of.
    Megan Married on 10/07/2017
    Jess at Focus on Joy was absolutely amazing to work with! She did both our "engagement" session and our big day. My husband and I wanted to do something a little different for our engagement session, so we pitched the idea of a Lifestyle shoot to Jess and she grabbed the bull by the horns and took off running :) She was eager to explore something different and captured our lives at home perfectly. For both the lifestyle shoot and the wedding, she had tons of fun ideas and guided us so our pictures reflected who we are as a couple. 5 thumbs up, Jess is the BEST!
    Asjah Married on 08/05/2017
    Jess was fabulous! She was thoroughly prepared before the wedding day, she even learned my family member's names and familiarized herself with the venues. Everyone enjoyed working with her. She is very professional and knows what she's doing! My groom and I were very happy to work with her and we can't wait to see the pictures, we know they are going to look great!
    Joanna Married on 04/08/2017
    We could not be happier with Jess's work photographing our wedding. She was so easy to work with and unobtrusive yet she got every picture. Plus she's just plain nice. We'd use her again in a second!
  • Carli
    Carli Married on 03/25/2017

Compassionate and professional

Planning a wedding has got to be in the top five more stressful things I have ever done. But you know what wasn't stressful? Every single interaction I had with Jess as my wedding photographer.

At first, I was taken aback because I submitted a request on her website for more information. But instead of emailing me her run down of her offerings and prices, she asked to schedule a phone conversation.

Well, as any millennial woman would think to herself "what the hell? the PHONE? Why would she need to speak to me on the godforsaken PHONE?"

But I am so so so glad that I took that call. She asked me about myself, my then-fiance, how we met, what our hobbies are, what we do for work. She genuinely wanted the abridged versions of our lives. She then introduced herself and her photo-journalistic style of wedding photography.

Every interaction was just as heartfelt and genuine as the first one. Jess is professional, an excellent communicator, and gives you her expert opinion when you are having trouble making decisions.

And it goes without saying that her work speaks for itself. A truly talented and compassionate wedding photographer who cares deeply about capturing the happiness that is cultivated on the Big Day. I cannot recommend her enough. 13/10 would hire her again.
    Andrew Married on 05/18/2018
    Great to work with, amazing pictures. Highly recommended