Five Star Catering Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2010 Winner

• Leslie
    Leslie A. Married on 10/29/2021

Hardest Workers Ever!

We hired Five Star Catering for my daughter's wedding on Oct. 24, 2021. They were wonderful!! The food was excellent and the service was phenomenal!!!! We never had an empty glass. I've never seen a team work so hard and the service just kept coming. After the event all I got was compliments about the food. Laura was easy to work with and took care of our rentals too. Best decision I ever made!!
  • Kelsi
    Kelsi S. Married on 10/26/2021

Delicious food & incredible service - Highly recommend!

THANK YOU to Laura and her team for helping make our wedding day the best day ever!

The food was absolutely delicious and her staff treated my husband and I like a King and Queen! We had countless guests come up to us saying that it was hands down the best food they had tasted at a wedding and we completely agree. We also had many people say it was the best wedding they had ever been to, and I know Five Star was a big part of that!

The staff were all so sweet and professional, helping make our day run seamlessly so that my husband and I and our guests could have the best time celebrating. The bartender was also amazing and kept everyone refreshed and happy!

Your help with all of the rentals was also incredible, our reception was so gorgeous and taking the stress of sourcing rentals off our shoulders was truly appreciated.

All the leftovers were packaged up so nicely that we were able to enjoy delicious food for several days after the wedding 😋

Thank you thank you thank you!! I definitely recommend Five Star to anyone getting married in the Santa Cruz area.
    Abigail S. Married on 09/18/2021

All star full-service catering team!

Bottom line: Five Star is a phenomenal full-service catering team that will make every detail of your day perfect.

Detail: Laura and the whole Five Star team are incredible! We had our wedding at a private residence up a windy road in the mountains, so almost everything was DIY. Laura was responsive from the get-go and, due to the unique venue, did a walk-through with me immediately to figure out what was possible. I can't overstate how helpful that was -- it meant I didn't waste any time or energy on things that would turn out not to work down the line. Laura handled not only creating a menu for a crowd that included several dietary restrictions, but also organizing all of the furniture and other rentals for the entire day. Not only that, but Laura rolled with the last-minute changes and requests without blinking an eye. She even came back to the venue a week out to do one last walk-through and make sure all our bases were covered. Every single detail (no, I am not exaggerating) was perfect -- the whole setting and day went so far beyond my expectations. Everyone raved about the food (multiple guests told us it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding) and the setting felt like a dream. The day-of team was not only incredibly professional, but they took such good care of us (making sure we ate and regularly checking in to see what we needed). As if all of that wasn't enough, Laura provided recommendations for any services that Five Star doesn't do. Laura and Five Star are the whole package -- they will make sure your day is the absolute best from start to finish!
    Molly Married on 09/18/2021

The best wedding food ever

Food is incredibly important to my husband and I, so when it came time to select a caterer for our wedding we knew we wanted to work with someone who cared as much about food as we do. Five Star turned out to be the perfect partner for creating a wedding day menu that was memorable, delicious, and locally focused.

From the beginning, we appreciated Five Star’s approach. Starting with our first introduction call, Laura was down-to-earth, direct, and a good listener. We knew we wanted a vegetarian menu that focused on local, seasonal ingredients; Laura was immediately on board. She provided sample farm-to-table menus for us to peruse but also encouraged us to get creative and suggest new dishes that we love. In the end, we picked a number of items from their standard menus and also worked collaboratively with them to create a fresh summer salad and a burrata-herb platter for our family-style dinner. At our tasting, Laura was attentive and detail-oriented, making small adjustments to the dishes based on our taste preferences.

On our wedding day, Laura’s team was friendly and helpful. They kept wine glasses full and many guests noted how much they appreciated the passed appetizers. Throughout dinner and after, guests absolutely raved about the food. We had many, many guests tell us that it was the best wedding food they had ever had, the most satisfying vegetarian meal they’d ever eaten, and that the flavors were vibrant and diverse yet complementary. Days after the wedding, guests were still calling to say how much they loved the dinner. We so appreciated Five Star’s ability to source from local farms and shops (Companion Bake Shop & Marianne’s Ice Cream!) to create a truly outstanding, California menu. We highly recommend Five Star!
    Emily B. Married on 07/10/2021

Incredible Food & Service!

Five Star Catering is a dream to work with! Laura was incredibly professional and kind. She responded promptly to every question and communication we sent her way. When our plans changed due to COVID, Five Star Catering was accommodating and willing to work with us to make our much different event still feel incredibly special. The service staff that helped at our event were great too. They were highly professional and really delightful to be around. And the FOOD! The food was absolutely delicious and was beautifully displayed. We enjoyed every single dish they served and so did our guests! We could not have asked for a better experience!
    Karissa M. Married on 06/12/2021

five stars for Five Star

We had the pleasure of having five star catering be our caterers for our wedding this past June. It has been a wonderful experience working with them. From the start everything was organized so well, Laura and her team were very accommodating to our needs and wants. They offered us a tasting and we got to pick out everything and curate our own menu. What really blew us away though was their performance on wedding day. Every detail was perfect, the staff was very professional, and our guests are still raving about their food, weeks after the wedding! They handled everything for us on wedding day, there was not anything we had to worry about. We would absolutely recommend Five Star Catering!
    Aeen Married on 05/08/2021

A memorable wedding meal

Five Star Catering blew us away with the delicious food they catered at our wedding. We chose salmon, ravioli, and lamb shank as our entrees which were delicious. But the lamb shank stole the show. We had multiple guests who are "foodies" come up to us to tell us how much they enjoyed the food. Laura and her staff were very professional and helpful. They even made sure to bring some hors d'oeuvres during our photo session.
    Overall they make amazing food and make a memorable meal.
  • Diana
    Diana F. Married on 07/10/2020

Beyond our expectations!

“No one likes the food at weddings, but yours was actually really delicious.” We heard this over and over again after Five Star catered our wedding. And it was true! Our wedding food rivaled that at expensive restaurants. I’m still craving it. There wasn’t a single dish that missed the mark. Five Star has some very talented chefs.

Not only was the food delicious, but the servers were great as well. They were professional, prompt, and even took special care to make sure that we ate. While everything was served family style, we were at a sweetheart table and they actually took the time to make us heaping plates of delicious food.

They also did a great job with our drinks. Our bar and cocktails were beautiful and kept everyone well “hydrated” :)

If you’re looking for wedding food that your guests will actually rave about, Five Star is the catering team to choose!
  • Kelly
    Kelly Married on 10/19/2019

Delicious, professional, and perfect!

We could not have done our wedding without Wendy, Laura, and the whole Five Star catering staff! We changed up our menu a few times and every time the staff was totally flexible and willing to work with us. We went with a mexican family style dinner and it was the perfect amount of class and comfort food and was absolutely DELICIOUS! Wendy was present the entire duration of our wedding and ensured everything was absolutely perfect! We highly recommend utilizing their bartending service as well who were all super professional and delightful. Thank you so much Five Star catering for the delicious food and amazing drinks!
  • Ann
    Ann F. Married on 10/11/2019

Delicious Food! Wonderful Service! Highly Recommend!

I was the mother of the bride, and we financed the October 2019 wedding at the beautiful Sand Rock Farm in Aptos. The venue has a number of required vendors they work with, and Five Star Catering was one of them. Fortunately, they were fabulous to work with, and we could not have been happier with all that they did on our wedding day. How often do you actually hear people compliment wedding food? We have received so many emails complimenting the food and the staff.

There were delicious passed appetizers and drinks during the cocktail hour and dinner was served family-style at round tables. It was perfect!

When I had questions and concerns prior to the wedding, Wendy in the office, was quick to reply and so helpful.

They even thoughtfully packaged up the leftovers for the couple as they missed much of the dinner during the sunset photo session.

We could not be happier with Five Star Catering. Thank you for making our day so special!
    Heidi C. Married on 09/29/2019

Great Service with a Smile

Your team was excellent and kept everyone happy with beverages and food on the stone patio, after the ceremony, while the pictures of the wedding party and family were being taken . When I finally got down there, I enjoyed seeing the chips and salsa buffet and the got to sample some of the passed appetizers; it was a pretty view and the cocktail hour made it all the more enjoyable.
    I thought you did a terrific job setting the tables and the cream colored napkins and tablecloths looked very elegant. The buffet went smoothly and the food was presented so beautifully that the guests were eager to try everything. I especially liked the vegan choices, since there were a few vegans in the crowd!
    Dinner also went smoothly and everyone seemed to be very happy with the service, I heard no complaints, which is always a good sign!
    We also really enjoyed the s'mores and the campfire kept us warm, so that was a very good choice!
    The bride and groom had such a good time, but so did all of the guests, and I didn't have to worry about a thing, you kept the bar going till the end and cleaned everything up, so Holman Ranch was back to its pre-wedding state!
    If we ever have a wedding or event down that way again, I will be sure use you, but I will be most happy to recommend you as well.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie V. Married on 09/14/2019

Wonderful caterers

Five Star Catering's name is no misnomer! They were excellent in all respects when we used them to cater our wedding -- their food was delicious (so many of our guests were shocked that this was how good wedding food could be!), their service was fantastic and they were extremely organized and easy to work with. We used the Farm to Table menu which I highly recommend. My friends and family are still talking about their grilled artichokes. I worked with Wendy the most, who was extremely sweet and so professional -- her and the rest of the 5 Star Staff made my life so easy on the day of the wedding and even before -- they worked with the furniture rental company to take care of almost everything and things appeared before the wedding and disappeared after it before my eyes. Thank you for everything, Wendy and 5 Star! You are fantastic!
  • Mallory
    Mallory A. Married on 06/29/2019

Awesome team, awesome food, awesome price

We were so happy we went with Five Star for our Memory Garden wedding in Monterey. From the very beginning, when we requested a quote from them, they were responsive and professional, and offered us a free tasting. From there we were sold! The food was great—I definitely recommend the Corralitos sausages (the highlight of our cocktail hour, praised by guests) as well as the potatoes au gratin (literally the best I've ever had, also praised by our guests). Tri-tip was another great highlight.

Another great thing about Five Star is that they will handle rentals for you in your contract! This was especially helpful to me as I was getting married in a state park where i had to bring in EVERYTHING, from the chairs and tables to the dance floor and everything in between. It was so nice having a caterer who would handle food, furniture, linens, and bartending (we could provide our own alcohol which was awesome).

On the day of my event, everything ran so smoothly! I was able to really relax and enjoy my big day knowing that the banquet captain, Jolene, and her team were getting it all done. Wine glasses were never empty at dinner, our buffet and cake tables were gorgeously assembled, and the team acted with grace and professionalism. The bartender that Five Star provided also did a great job of handling a very busy bar! :)

All in all, I can't recommend Five Star more. They are great at what they do and while the planning process of a wedding might be stressful, they make sure that your big day is not. And that right there is priceless!
  • Hunter
    Hunter Married on 06/09/2019

Absolute Perfection!!! Please Read Everything Below!

This company really knows how to service a wedding! They go above and beyond to not only cook the food, but decorate and WOW your guests! They took the time to learn a complicated fold for our napkins and linens to accommodate our theme. They spent hours of their time on the phone and in person walking through each detail. They had the nicest staff! Super professional! They gave us loads of leftover food and preserved it perfectly for us to take home with ease. They offered their services of handling other rentals. You definitely get what you pay for here!!!

All star company that needs to change the name of the company to a higher star count! Five star was the highlight of my wedding. Many guests did approach me (The Groom) after the wedding, telling how good the food was.

This was our amazing Menu!

Coastal Buffet: Warm Bruschetta;Fried
    with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Lemon;Julienne Medley
    of Vegetables;House Baked Rolls & Focaccia in a
    Basket;Cake Cutting Service;Complimentary Meals
    (Weddings);Full Service Package;

The stuffed chicken was the highlight! I know i'll be booking them again for any other events in the future!!! Thank you so much for everything!!!
  • DinaMcMahon
    Dinamcmahon Married on 12/17/2018

Indeed 5 stars!

I am an event planner and I tried Laura's food during one of our events and I was amazed by how delicious it was. I also loved how organized the service was, it was smooth, professional and well managed. From now on Five Star Catering is my number 1 caterer to recommend to my dear clients. I had a wedding in Los Gatos planned and setup for my clients and Five Star Catering was again my number 1 choice.

Laura worked with our event themes Masquerade, she added many decor touches as fresh flowers, glass raisers, vases with fillers and a rustic and floral wedding theme, tasteful theme decor and food presentations are amazing! We worked together so well! In any party food and guest service are very important and they are amazing in Five Star Catering!!!

• Katie
    Katie Married on 10/13/2018

highly recommended

Five Star catered our wedding at the Memory Garden in Monterey a few weeks ago, and everything was amazing from start to finish! We initially liked that Five Star offered us a tasting before we signed a contract with them (the other preferred caterers for our venue would only let us do tastings if we booked them first, which was confusing to me... I wouldn't want book a caterer without trying their food!), and everything at the tasting impressed us. Laura was great to work with, incredibly responsive and accommodating of a variety of guest allergies and preferences. So many people told us that the food was delicious, especially the ceviche, potatoes au gratin, and tri tip. The buffet and tables were also beautifully presented. Working with Five Star was a dream, and we'd enthusiastically recommend them to anyone for any event!
    Leslie Married on 10/06/2018
    Working with 5 Star Catering could not have been better.! They are extremely professional, helpful and knowledgeable. Both the rehearsal dinner and wedding luncheon were beautifully presented and well- staffed. Many guests commented on the delicious food. We could not have been happier with 5 Star Catering, and would highly recommend them for any future events. They are simply "the best" in the Capitola, Santa Cruz, Monterey area!
    Angela Married on 07/29/2018
    I just don’t have enough words to thank Wendy and her team! They were AMAZING! So courteous and professional! Their attention to detail was impeccable! I will refer them to anyone who needs a good caterer! I am friends with the admin of the Central Coast Wedding Exchange and will be raving about 5 Star in there as well! Thank you 5 Star for all you hard work! Signed, Angela Silveria a very pleased mother of the groom. Above & Betond!
    Deb Married on 04/28/2018
    Highly recommend this caterer!! Food was fabulous, staff was organized, attentive, and super nice. They worked with me pre-event on menu and were super flexible. They made sure I could relax and enjoy the party while they handled all the details and took care of the glitches. I’d use them again in a heartbeat.
    Elyse J. Married on 07/16/2016
    Dear Laura and Staff,
    Our wedding reception was all we had hoped and more, largely due to Christine's leadership and the excellent staff throughout the evening. The food was highly complimented by ALL and the Bride and Groom boxes afterwards were a wonderful treat and surprise. We were delighted to truly have an opportunity to savor and delight in the delicious food the guests were raving about hours later after the reception and the whirlwind had ended. The entire wait service staff, the bartender, the chef, and Christine were all friendly, helpful and gracious to our guests. The rental service arrived promptly in the a.m. drop off window and were right on time to pick-up at 9:50 p.m. afterwards; they also were friendly, fast, thorough and efficient.

When we contacted you a year and 1/2 ahead of the date to start our thematic planning early; you were interested and on top of it from the beginning; inviting us to a tasting early on after we exchanged menu ideas via emails. Accommodating multiple food restrictions due to Celiac's Disease, peanut and shellfish allergies were NO problem at all for you. The farm to table menu was creative, varied and simply outstanding. The buffet table was beautiful, appetizing and efficient.

We were so impressed with the entire seamless experience. You are a true professional Laura and we are extremely grateful and impressed with how much Five Star Catering's service added to making the reception fun, enjoyable and memorable. It was an evening we will all cherish forever.

Thank you and your staff from the bottom of our hearts for your advice, help and expert execution of this once in a lifetime event.

Gratefully,

Bride & Groom
    Gretchen Married on 01/03/2016
    Five star was professional and responsive from the first contact. I wanted a caterer we could feel good about for food and service as we had enough other things to worry about on the wedding day. Five Star was above and beyond in all aspects! The food was fabulous, well presented and plentiful. The staff was professional and truly seemed to enjoy every moment of caring for our guests. This caterer exceeded our expectations. I am still hearing comments about how fabulous the food was and how great it made the whole celebration. I highly recommend Five Star and will use them again! They are the best!
    Josephine Married on 11/01/2015
    We are so happy our photographer recommended Five Star Catering! Five Star Catering is among the only vendors we found that do not charge for a tasting and we did not have to sign a contract prior to the tasting. We met with Laura and instantly knew this was the vendor for us. She provided us with all of the options and we absolutely loved that it was a one stop shop. She provided the plates, utensils linens etc... She provides a lovely flower arrangement for the buffet area which is what we had. We were also extremely satisfied that she was able to work with our budget. The staff was wonderful and professional and our guests raved about the bartender! He was friendly and fun! We still receive calls asking who our caterer was because our guests loved the food and were impressed with how well organized the catering staff was. We are happy with our decision and hope you'll give them a call, Five Star Catering won't disappoint!
  • User2531842 2+ years ago
    Laura is wonderful. She was so accommodating. She made the planning process flawless. Our food was phenomenal. I never thought I'd have a buffet at my wedding but I wouldn't have traded it for the world. The staff was so attentive. The whole process was great. They made it so easy for my husband and I to enjoy our day. We couldn't have been happier!
    Brandy Married on 10/11/2015
    Five Star Catering did an expert job at our wedding. Things were magically set up, delicious food magically appeared and it was magically all cleaned up at the end of the day. The staff were super friendly and professional and the food was outstanding. I didn't have to lift one single finger as the bride. They even made cute little to-go boxes of food for my husband and I, knowing that we probably didn't enough time to eat.