Five Star Catering Reviews

Five Star Catering 2
Five Star Catering 3
  • Mallory

Mallory Anderson · Married on 06/29/2019

Awesome team, awesome food, awesome price

We were so happy we went with Five Star for our Memory Garden wedding in Monterey. From the very beginning, when we requested a quote from them, they were responsive and professional, and offered us a free tasting. From there we were sold! The food was great—I definitely recommend the Corralitos sausages (the highlight of our cocktail hour, praised by guests) as well as the potatoes au gratin (literally the best I've ever had, also praised by our guests). Tri-tip was another great highlight.

Another great thing about Five Star is that they will handle rentals for you in your contract! This was especially helpful to me as I was getting married in a state park where i had to bring in EVERYTHING, from the chairs and tables to the dance floor and everything in between. It was so nice having a caterer who would handle food, furniture, linens, and bartending (we could provide our own alcohol which was awesome).

On the day of my event, everything ran so smoothly! I was able to really relax and enjoy my big day knowing that the banquet captain, Jolene, and her team were getting it all done. Wine glasses were never empty at dinner, our buffet and cake tables were gorgeously assembled, and the team acted with grace and professionalism. The bartender that Five Star provided also did a great job of handling a very busy bar! :)

All in all, I can't recommend Five Star more. They are great at what they do and while the planning process of a wedding might be stressful, they make sure that your big day is not. And that right there is priceless!

Sent on 07/16/2019
    Five Star Catering 4
    Five Star Catering 5
  • DinaMcMahon

Dinamcmahon · Married on 12/17/2018

Indeed 5 stars!

I am an event planner and I tried Laura's food during one of our events and I was amazed by how delicious it was. I also loved how organized the service was, it was smooth, professional and well managed. From now on Five Star Catering is my number 1 caterer to recommend to my dear clients. I had a wedding in Los Gatos planned and setup for my clients and Five Star Catering was again my number 1 choice.

Laura worked with our event themes Masquerade, she added many decor touches as fresh flowers, glass raisers, vases with fillers and a rustic and floral wedding theme, tasteful theme decor and food presentations are amazing! We worked together so well! In any party food and guest service are very important and they are amazing in Five Star Catering!!!

Sent on 12/17/2018
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 10/13/2018

highly recommended

Five Star catered our wedding at the Memory Garden in Monterey a few weeks ago, and everything was amazing from start to finish! We initially liked that Five Star offered us a tasting before we signed a contract with them (the other preferred caterers for our venue would only let us do tastings if we booked them first, which was confusing to me... I wouldn't want book a caterer without trying their food!), and everything at the tasting impressed us. Laura was great to work with, incredibly responsive and accommodating of a variety of guest allergies and preferences. So many people told us that the food was delicious, especially the ceviche, potatoes au gratin, and tri tip. The buffet and tables were also beautifully presented. Working with Five Star was a dream, and we'd enthusiastically recommend them to anyone for any event!

Sent on 10/28/2018

Leslie · Married on 10/06/2018

Working with 5 Star Catering could not have been better.! They are extremely professional, helpful and knowledgeable. Both the rehearsal dinner and wedding luncheon were beautifully presented and well- staffed. Many guests commented on the delicious food. We could not have been happier with 5 Star Catering, and would highly recommend them for any future events. They are simply "the best" in the Capitola, Santa Cruz, Monterey area!

Sent on 10/12/2018

Angela · Married on 07/29/2018

I just don’t have enough words to thank Wendy and her team! They were AMAZING! So courteous and professional! Their attention to detail was impeccable! I will refer them to anyone who needs a good caterer! I am friends with the admin of the Central Coast Wedding Exchange and will be raving about 5 Star in there as well! Thank you 5 Star for all you hard work! Signed, Angela Silveria a very pleased mother of the groom. Above & Betond!

Sent on 08/01/2018
    Five Star Catering 6

Deb · Married on 04/28/2018

Highly recommend this caterer!! Food was fabulous, staff was organized, attentive, and super nice. They worked with me pre-event on menu and were super flexible. They made sure I could relax and enjoy the party while they handled all the details and took care of the glitches. I’d use them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 05/02/2018

Elyse & Justin · Married on 07/16/2016

Dear Laura and Staff,
    Our wedding reception was all we had hoped and more, largely due to Christine's leadership and the excellent staff throughout the evening. The food was highly complimented by ALL and the Bride and Groom boxes afterwards were a wonderful treat and surprise. We were delighted to truly have an opportunity to savor and delight in the delicious food the guests were raving about hours later after the reception and the whirlwind had ended. The entire wait service staff, the bartender, the chef, and Christine were all friendly, helpful and gracious to our guests. The rental service arrived promptly in the a.m. drop off window and were right on time to pick-up at 9:50 p.m. afterwards; they also were friendly, fast, thorough and efficient.

When we contacted you a year and 1/2 ahead of the date to start our thematic planning early; you were interested and on top of it from the beginning; inviting us to a tasting early on after we exchanged menu ideas via emails. Accommodating multiple food restrictions due to Celiac's Disease, peanut and shellfish allergies were NO problem at all for you. The farm to table menu was creative, varied and simply outstanding. The buffet table was beautiful, appetizing and efficient.

We were so impressed with the entire seamless experience. You are a true professional Laura and we are extremely grateful and impressed with how much Five Star Catering's service added to making the reception fun, enjoyable and memorable. It was an evening we will all cherish forever.

Thank you and your staff from the bottom of our hearts for your advice, help and expert execution of this once in a lifetime event.

Gratefully,

Bride & Groom

Sent on 08/04/2016

Gretchen · Married on 01/03/2016

Five star was professional and responsive from the first contact. I wanted a caterer we could feel good about for food and service as we had enough other things to worry about on the wedding day. Five Star was above and beyond in all aspects! The food was fabulous, well presented and plentiful. The staff was professional and truly seemed to enjoy every moment of caring for our guests. This caterer exceeded our expectations. I am still hearing comments about how fabulous the food was and how great it made the whole celebration. I highly recommend Five Star and will use them again! They are the best!

Sent on 01/19/2016

Josephine · Married on 11/01/2015

We are so happy our photographer recommended Five Star Catering! Five Star Catering is among the only vendors we found that do not charge for a tasting and we did not have to sign a contract prior to the tasting. We met with Laura and instantly knew this was the vendor for us. She provided us with all of the options and we absolutely loved that it was a one stop shop. She provided the plates, utensils linens etc... She provides a lovely flower arrangement for the buffet area which is what we had. We were also extremely satisfied that she was able to work with our budget. The staff was wonderful and professional and our guests raved about the bartender! He was friendly and fun! We still receive calls asking who our caterer was because our guests loved the food and were impressed with how well organized the catering staff was. We are happy with our decision and hope you'll give them a call, Five Star Catering won't disappoint!

Sent on 02/26/2016

Laura is wonderful. She was so accommodating. She made the planning process flawless. Our food was phenomenal. I never thought I'd have a buffet at my wedding but I wouldn't have traded it for the world. The staff was so attentive. The whole process was great. They made it so easy for my husband and I to enjoy our day. We couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 02/10/2016

Brandy · Married on 10/11/2015

Five Star Catering did an expert job at our wedding. Things were magically set up, delicious food magically appeared and it was magically all cleaned up at the end of the day. The staff were super friendly and professional and the food was outstanding. I didn't have to lift one single finger as the bride. They even made cute little to-go boxes of food for my husband and I, knowing that we probably didn't enough time to eat.

Sent on 10/23/2015

Kate · Married on 07/11/2015

Our daughter's wedding was everything that we could have hoped for (and more!)

Five Star's crew was impressive in their professionalism, outstanding in their flexibility, and ability to 'think on their feet' and a pure pleasure to have around. Laura took the time to discern what type of event we wanted and our style of entertaining, and was able to help us plan an event that fit our desires. She worked with our other vendors to make a smooth event happen, and never felt ruffled or stressed.

The evening was pure magic, and the staff worked to make sure that everything came off without a hitch. The Farm to Table Dinner was delicious, and it was such a joy to be able to introduce it as the products of our neighbors. I cannot say enough about how good it felt to let someone else take over and know that it would all be OK.

The crew was friendly, kept the event moving without feeling rushed, was attentive and thorough, and left our home (which was the wedding venue) spotless. We only have one daughter (thank goodness!) and Five Star allowed us to throw her the wedding she (and we) have always dreamed of.

Sent on 07/15/2015
  • F

Francesca · Married on 05/17/2015

We had a buffet-style dinner at our wedding to save on costs compared to plated dinners. Their buffet decorations were beautiful and the food was delicious. The staff was courteous and professional. If your wedding is in the Central Coast area of California, I highly recommend Five Star Catering.

Sent on 05/25/2015

Words cannot explain how thrilled I am with the fantastic work of Five Star Catering! From my initial meeting and tasting with Laura, to the day of the wedding, everything exceeded expectations. My entire guest list raved about the food, and service was perfect. I could not asked for a better experience for my special day.

Sent on 09/28/2014

Alyssa · Married on 06/21/2014

Thank you to Laura and her staff for all of their hard work for our wedding. We met with Laura for our tasting and felt really comfortable with her. The food was so wonderful it was hard to decide our choices for both our cocktail hour and dinner. The cheese plate they created was delicious and so beautiful as well as the other appetizers. For dinner, we ended up going with the skirt steak, red snapper, butternut squash ravioli, grilled veggies, spinach salad, mixed green salad and garlic mashed potatoes. The food was beautifully presented, fresh and fantastic - I finished my plate, my groom's and one of his groomsmen! We had about 130 guests and our venue was not the easiest in terms of catering prep but you'd never know it. I've gotten so many compliments from my guests about how everything was so delicious. They boxed up all of our leftovers and we ended up eating them for a late night snack! Professional and very affordable.

Sent on 07/14/2014
  • User4321958 · 2+ years ago

We really enjoyed our wedding and Five Star catering deserves a lot of the credit. The food and service was wonderful. The banquet captain, in particular, was exceptional. The food received many compliments from our guests. Working with Laura (the owner) leading up to the event was great; she was responsive, flexible, warm and generally helpful. We do not hesitate to recommend Five Star.

Sent on 08/13/2014

Angel · Married on 05/24/2014

I have worked with a number of caterers but none were better than 5 Star. Their quality, flexibility, and friendly service is remarkable. We had a buffet and the meat was juicy, the vegetables crisp and the mashed potatoes were out of this world!! The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone worked very hard to make everything perfect for our special day! I would highly recommend 5 Star!!

Sent on 06/01/2014
  • cathy

cathy · Married on 03/15/2014

the food was AMAZING.... from appetizers to main course everything was delicious and everyone said it was among the best wedding food they had eaten. the staff was also wonderful. maybe it's the norm, but it was such a nice treat that as the bridal party went through they filled our plates from the buffet choices we wanted to ensure we didn't get anything on our 'finery'.

even more special to me they filled/brought plates to my parents who don't get around very easily and both walk with canes so handling the buffet/plates and getting back to the table would have been challenging. yes there were other family guests that could have done the same, but the fact that the staff did so really means a lot to me and the level of service you can expect.

and they 'boxed up' all the left overs for us - due to a few last minute no shows we have enough food that i don't have to shop/cook for at least a week - another bonus!

Sent on 03/17/2014

Sue · Married on 11/02/2013

Kim’s wedding day was a huge success. The food was outstanding. Our guests were blown away by the quality and taste. From appetizers to the main meal everything was delicious, served hot and appeared and disappeared on time. The servers, including the bartender, were excellent. They took care of everything that needed to be done and more. The kitchen was left the way they found it. From meeting you at the initial tasting to the end of the event everything was effortless, on our part. You accommodated the changes that Kim made with no problem. We were so fortunate to have found Five Star and will highly recommend your company to anyone who asks. Thank you very much!

Sent on 11/20/2013

Renee · Married on 09/08/2013

Five Star Catering is Five Star AMAZING!

The food was fresh, it was hot, it was tasty, it was seasonal, it was something people would buy in a restaurant and enjoy, it was AMAZING.

Five Star changed the perception of "wedding food" for me and for our 140 guests. In fact, our guests are still raving about the tasty passed h'ordeuvres, the beautiful and classy salads, the succulent carving station, and the seasonal dishes on hand.

This 5 star review also goes out directly to Laura, Louise, and the amazing staff on hand which made our wedding day so beautiful and easy to enjoy for both us and for our guests.

We worked with Laura for initial tasting, to create the menu and to answer questions. She was responsive, friendly, professional, and extremely confident in Five Stars ability to make our day delectably wonderful!

Fast forward to the actual wedding day itself; the on-site staff was unparalleled in service, responsiveness, professionalism, and politeness. Louise was on site and in charge that day on behalf of Five Star and took the time out to FIND me and my husband between busy photo shoots to introduce herself and let us know she had a handle on everything at hand!

The staff kept the food coming, the beverages pouring, and responded to every guests request. One of the girls even went out of her way to find me during a photo shoot and hand me a glass of champagne! (AMEN!)

Five Star took initiative to help set up our wedding tables when no one else was onsite to help, and the efficiency of 'tear down' 7 hours later had us out of the venue on time and saved us venue overtime charges.

From start to finish, from food to final goodbyes, Five Star made it happen! We are so grateful to have found them and to have them be such an important part of our wedding day. I would recommend them to any bride looking for exceptional food and an exceptional experience on her wedding day! Ten stars for Five Star Catering!

Sent on 09/27/2013

Dana · Married on 08/10/2013

The wedding was absolutely perfect! The tables looked gorgeous! And the food, well lets just say people are still talking about how delicious it was!! We had the coastal buffet with herb marinated tri tip with peppercorn sauce and chicken stuffed with cheesy goifness snd pinenuts. for the sides, we had potatoes su gratin rice pikaf and grilled veggies. The day was exactly as I envisioned, if not better! The staff was exquisite and professional and very well dressed! I would use them in a heartbeat and highly recommend!

Sent on 08/23/2013

Five Star did a wonderful job of creating an atmosphere where guests felt welcome, important, and right at home. I could not be more impressed with how beautiful our tables looked and how well our guests were served. The food was amazing and the staff was a pleasure to have.

Sent on 07/31/2013

Danielle · Married on 10/20/2012

Laura and her staff are AMAZING! So friendly, professional, and accomodating! I will definitley be using thier services in the future!

Sent on 12/03/2012

The food was incredible. They were able to make delicious vegan options for my husband and still provide a meal that the meat and dairy eaters enjoyed. It was the perfect combination.

The desserts were apparently incredible. Sadly, we did not get to eat anything other than the brownies but I have repeatedly been told how incredible they were!

I appreciated the care that was taken to ensure that the menu was excatly what we wanted. I also really appreciated that we can a tray of appetizers waiting for us at our seats when we sat down for dinner!

The entire experience was incredible and I will hire Five Star Catering for any future catering needs.

Sent on 07/19/2012

Jessica · Married on 08/27/2011

My wedding turned out amazing I got nothing but compliments about the food especially the hordorves. The bar tender was amazing and made the best mojito's and the service was great everyone very friendly. The owner And staff are very flexible. Thank you for making my wedding a fairytale!

Sent on 09/13/2011