Five Star Catering Reviews

76 Reviews for Five Star Catering

• Diana

Diana Fitts · Getting married on 07/10/2020

Beyond our expectations!

“No one likes the food at weddings, but yours was actually really delicious.” We heard this over and over again after Five Star catered our wedding. And it was true! Our wedding food rivaled that at expensive restaurants. I’m still craving it. There wasn’t a single dish that missed the mark. Five Star has some very talented chefs.

Not only was the food delicious, but the servers were great as well. They were professional, prompt, and even took special care to make sure that we ate. While everything was served family style, we were at a sweetheart table and they actually took the time to make us heaping plates of delicious food.

They also did a great job with our drinks. Our bar and cocktails were beautiful and kept everyone well “hydrated” :)

If you’re looking for wedding food that your guests will actually rave about, Five Star is the catering team to choose!

Sent on 11/14/2019
  • Kelly

Kelly R · Married on 10/19/2019

Delicious, professional, and perfect!

We could not have done our wedding without Wendy, Laura, and the whole Five Star catering staff! We changed up our menu a few times and every time the staff was totally flexible and willing to work with us. We went with a mexican family style dinner and it was the perfect amount of class and comfort food and was absolutely DELICIOUS! Wendy was present the entire duration of our wedding and ensured everything was absolutely perfect! We highly recommend utilizing their bartending service as well who were all super professional and delightful. Thank you so much Five Star catering for the delicious food and amazing drinks!

Sent on 01/03/2020
  • Ann

Ann Fitts · Married on 10/11/2019

Delicious Food! Wonderful Service! Highly Recommend!

I was the mother of the bride, and we financed the October 2019 wedding at the beautiful Sand Rock Farm in Aptos. The venue has a number of required vendors they work with, and Five Star Catering was one of them. Fortunately, they were fabulous to work with, and we could not have been happier with all that they did on our wedding day. How often do you actually hear people compliment wedding food? We have received so many emails complimenting the food and the staff.

There were delicious passed appetizers and drinks during the cocktail hour and dinner was served family-style at round tables. It was perfect!

When I had questions and concerns prior to the wedding, Wendy in the office, was quick to reply and so helpful.

They even thoughtfully packaged up the leftovers for the couple as they missed much of the dinner during the sunset photo session.

We could not be happier with Five Star Catering. Thank you for making our day so special!

Sent on 11/10/2019

Heidi Chew · Married on 09/29/2019

Great Service with a Smile

Your team was excellent and kept everyone happy with beverages and food on the stone patio, after the ceremony, while the pictures of the wedding party and family were being taken . When I finally got down there, I enjoyed seeing the chips and salsa buffet and the got to sample some of the passed appetizers; it was a pretty view and the cocktail hour made it all the more enjoyable.
    I thought you did a terrific job setting the tables and the cream colored napkins and tablecloths looked very elegant. The buffet went smoothly and the food was presented so beautifully that the guests were eager to try everything. I especially liked the vegan choices, since there were a few vegans in the crowd!
    Dinner also went smoothly and everyone seemed to be very happy with the service, I heard no complaints, which is always a good sign!
    We also really enjoyed the s'mores and the campfire kept us warm, so that was a very good choice!
    The bride and groom had such a good time, but so did all of the guests, and I didn't have to worry about a thing, you kept the bar going till the end and cleaned everything up, so Holman Ranch was back to its pre-wedding state!
    If we ever have a wedding or event down that way again, I will be sure use you, but I will be most happy to recommend you as well.

Sent on 10/25/2019
  • Stephanie

Stephanie Vatz · Married on 09/14/2019

Wonderful caterers

Five Star Catering's name is no misnomer! They were excellent in all respects when we used them to cater our wedding -- their food was delicious (so many of our guests were shocked that this was how good wedding food could be!), their service was fantastic and they were extremely organized and easy to work with. We used the Farm to Table menu which I highly recommend. My friends and family are still talking about their grilled artichokes. I worked with Wendy the most, who was extremely sweet and so professional -- her and the rest of the 5 Star Staff made my life so easy on the day of the wedding and even before -- they worked with the furniture rental company to take care of almost everything and things appeared before the wedding and disappeared after it before my eyes. Thank you for everything, Wendy and 5 Star! You are fantastic!

Sent on 09/27/2019
  • Mallory

Mallory Anderson · Married on 06/29/2019

Awesome team, awesome food, awesome price

We were so happy we went with Five Star for our Memory Garden wedding in Monterey. From the very beginning, when we requested a quote from them, they were responsive and professional, and offered us a free tasting. From there we were sold! The food was great—I definitely recommend the Corralitos sausages (the highlight of our cocktail hour, praised by guests) as well as the potatoes au gratin (literally the best I've ever had, also praised by our guests). Tri-tip was another great highlight.

Another great thing about Five Star is that they will handle rentals for you in your contract! This was especially helpful to me as I was getting married in a state park where i had to bring in EVERYTHING, from the chairs and tables to the dance floor and everything in between. It was so nice having a caterer who would handle food, furniture, linens, and bartending (we could provide our own alcohol which was awesome).

On the day of my event, everything ran so smoothly! I was able to really relax and enjoy my big day knowing that the banquet captain, Jolene, and her team were getting it all done. Wine glasses were never empty at dinner, our buffet and cake tables were gorgeously assembled, and the team acted with grace and professionalism. The bartender that Five Star provided also did a great job of handling a very busy bar! :)

All in all, I can't recommend Five Star more. They are great at what they do and while the planning process of a wedding might be stressful, they make sure that your big day is not. And that right there is priceless!

Sent on 07/16/2019
  • Hunter

Hunter · Married on 06/09/2019

Absolute Perfection!!! Please Read Everything Below!

This company really knows how to service a wedding! They go above and beyond to not only cook the food, but decorate and WOW your guests! They took the time to learn a complicated fold for our napkins and linens to accommodate our theme. They spent hours of their time on the phone and in person walking through each detail. They had the nicest staff! Super professional! They gave us loads of leftover food and preserved it perfectly for us to take home with ease. They offered their services of handling other rentals. You definitely get what you pay for here!!!

All star company that needs to change the name of the company to a higher star count! Five star was the highlight of my wedding. Many guests did approach me (The Groom) after the wedding, telling how good the food was.

This was our amazing Menu!

Coastal Buffet: Warm Bruschetta;Fried
    with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Lemon;Julienne Medley
    of Vegetables;House Baked Rolls & Focaccia in a
    Basket;Cake Cutting Service;Complimentary Meals
    (Weddings);Full Service Package;

The stuffed chicken was the highlight! I know i'll be booking them again for any other events in the future!!! Thank you so much for everything!!!

Sent on 10/29/2019
  • DinaMcMahon

Dinamcmahon · Married on 12/17/2018

Indeed 5 stars!

I am an event planner and I tried Laura's food during one of our events and I was amazed by how delicious it was. I also loved how organized the service was, it was smooth, professional and well managed. From now on Five Star Catering is my number 1 caterer to recommend to my dear clients. I had a wedding in Los Gatos planned and setup for my clients and Five Star Catering was again my number 1 choice.

Laura worked with our event themes Masquerade, she added many decor touches as fresh flowers, glass raisers, vases with fillers and a rustic and floral wedding theme, tasteful theme decor and food presentations are amazing! We worked together so well! In any party food and guest service are very important and they are amazing in Five Star Catering!!!

Sent on 12/17/2018
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 10/13/2018

highly recommended

Five Star catered our wedding at the Memory Garden in Monterey a few weeks ago, and everything was amazing from start to finish! We initially liked that Five Star offered us a tasting before we signed a contract with them (the other preferred caterers for our venue would only let us do tastings if we booked them first, which was confusing to me... I wouldn't want book a caterer without trying their food!), and everything at the tasting impressed us. Laura was great to work with, incredibly responsive and accommodating of a variety of guest allergies and preferences. So many people told us that the food was delicious, especially the ceviche, potatoes au gratin, and tri tip. The buffet and tables were also beautifully presented. Working with Five Star was a dream, and we'd enthusiastically recommend them to anyone for any event!

Sent on 10/28/2018

Leslie · Married on 10/06/2018

Working with 5 Star Catering could not have been better.! They are extremely professional, helpful and knowledgeable. Both the rehearsal dinner and wedding luncheon were beautifully presented and well- staffed. Many guests commented on the delicious food. We could not have been happier with 5 Star Catering, and would highly recommend them for any future events. They are simply "the best" in the Capitola, Santa Cruz, Monterey area!

Sent on 10/12/2018

Angela · Married on 07/29/2018

I just don’t have enough words to thank Wendy and her team! They were AMAZING! So courteous and professional! Their attention to detail was impeccable! I will refer them to anyone who needs a good caterer! I am friends with the admin of the Central Coast Wedding Exchange and will be raving about 5 Star in there as well! Thank you 5 Star for all you hard work! Signed, Angela Silveria a very pleased mother of the groom. Above & Betond!

Sent on 08/01/2018

Deb · Married on 04/28/2018

Highly recommend this caterer!! Food was fabulous, staff was organized, attentive, and super nice. They worked with me pre-event on menu and were super flexible. They made sure I could relax and enjoy the party while they handled all the details and took care of the glitches. I’d use them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 05/02/2018

Elyse & Justin · Married on 07/16/2016

Dear Laura and Staff,
    Our wedding reception was all we had hoped and more, largely due to Christine's leadership and the excellent staff throughout the evening. The food was highly complimented by ALL and the Bride and Groom boxes afterwards were a wonderful treat and surprise. We were delighted to truly have an opportunity to savor and delight in the delicious food the guests were raving about hours later after the reception and the whirlwind had ended. The entire wait service staff, the bartender, the chef, and Christine were all friendly, helpful and gracious to our guests. The rental service arrived promptly in the a.m. drop off window and were right on time to pick-up at 9:50 p.m. afterwards; they also were friendly, fast, thorough and efficient.

When we contacted you a year and 1/2 ahead of the date to start our thematic planning early; you were interested and on top of it from the beginning; inviting us to a tasting early on after we exchanged menu ideas via emails. Accommodating multiple food restrictions due to Celiac's Disease, peanut and shellfish allergies were NO problem at all for you. The farm to table menu was creative, varied and simply outstanding. The buffet table was beautiful, appetizing and efficient.

We were so impressed with the entire seamless experience. You are a true professional Laura and we are extremely grateful and impressed with how much Five Star Catering's service added to making the reception fun, enjoyable and memorable. It was an evening we will all cherish forever.

Thank you and your staff from the bottom of our hearts for your advice, help and expert execution of this once in a lifetime event.

Gratefully,

Bride & Groom

Sent on 08/04/2016

Gretchen · Married on 01/03/2016

Five star was professional and responsive from the first contact. I wanted a caterer we could feel good about for food and service as we had enough other things to worry about on the wedding day. Five Star was above and beyond in all aspects! The food was fabulous, well presented and plentiful. The staff was professional and truly seemed to enjoy every moment of caring for our guests. This caterer exceeded our expectations. I am still hearing comments about how fabulous the food was and how great it made the whole celebration. I highly recommend Five Star and will use them again! They are the best!

Sent on 01/19/2016

Josephine · Married on 11/01/2015

We are so happy our photographer recommended Five Star Catering! Five Star Catering is among the only vendors we found that do not charge for a tasting and we did not have to sign a contract prior to the tasting. We met with Laura and instantly knew this was the vendor for us. She provided us with all of the options and we absolutely loved that it was a one stop shop. She provided the plates, utensils linens etc... She provides a lovely flower arrangement for the buffet area which is what we had. We were also extremely satisfied that she was able to work with our budget. The staff was wonderful and professional and our guests raved about the bartender! He was friendly and fun! We still receive calls asking who our caterer was because our guests loved the food and were impressed with how well organized the catering staff was. We are happy with our decision and hope you'll give them a call, Five Star Catering won't disappoint!

Sent on 02/26/2016

Laura is wonderful. She was so accommodating. She made the planning process flawless. Our food was phenomenal. I never thought I'd have a buffet at my wedding but I wouldn't have traded it for the world. The staff was so attentive. The whole process was great. They made it so easy for my husband and I to enjoy our day. We couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 02/10/2016

Brandy · Married on 10/11/2015

Five Star Catering did an expert job at our wedding. Things were magically set up, delicious food magically appeared and it was magically all cleaned up at the end of the day. The staff were super friendly and professional and the food was outstanding. I didn't have to lift one single finger as the bride. They even made cute little to-go boxes of food for my husband and I, knowing that we probably didn't enough time to eat.

Sent on 10/23/2015

Kate · Married on 07/11/2015

Our daughter's wedding was everything that we could have hoped for (and more!)

Five Star's crew was impressive in their professionalism, outstanding in their flexibility, and ability to 'think on their feet' and a pure pleasure to have around. Laura took the time to discern what type of event we wanted and our style of entertaining, and was able to help us plan an event that fit our desires. She worked with our other vendors to make a smooth event happen, and never felt ruffled or stressed.

The evening was pure magic, and the staff worked to make sure that everything came off without a hitch. The Farm to Table Dinner was delicious, and it was such a joy to be able to introduce it as the products of our neighbors. I cannot say enough about how good it felt to let someone else take over and know that it would all be OK.

The crew was friendly, kept the event moving without feeling rushed, was attentive and thorough, and left our home (which was the wedding venue) spotless. We only have one daughter (thank goodness!) and Five Star allowed us to throw her the wedding she (and we) have always dreamed of.

Sent on 07/15/2015
  • F

Francesca · Married on 05/17/2015

We had a buffet-style dinner at our wedding to save on costs compared to plated dinners. Their buffet decorations were beautiful and the food was delicious. The staff was courteous and professional. If your wedding is in the Central Coast area of California, I highly recommend Five Star Catering.

Sent on 05/25/2015

Words cannot explain how thrilled I am with the fantastic work of Five Star Catering! From my initial meeting and tasting with Laura, to the day of the wedding, everything exceeded expectations. My entire guest list raved about the food, and service was perfect. I could not asked for a better experience for my special day.

Sent on 09/28/2014

Alyssa · Married on 06/21/2014

Thank you to Laura and her staff for all of their hard work for our wedding. We met with Laura for our tasting and felt really comfortable with her. The food was so wonderful it was hard to decide our choices for both our cocktail hour and dinner. The cheese plate they created was delicious and so beautiful as well as the other appetizers. For dinner, we ended up going with the skirt steak, red snapper, butternut squash ravioli, grilled veggies, spinach salad, mixed green salad and garlic mashed potatoes. The food was beautifully presented, fresh and fantastic - I finished my plate, my groom's and one of his groomsmen! We had about 130 guests and our venue was not the easiest in terms of catering prep but you'd never know it. I've gotten so many compliments from my guests about how everything was so delicious. They boxed up all of our leftovers and we ended up eating them for a late night snack! Professional and very affordable.

Sent on 07/14/2014
  • User4321958 · 2+ years ago

We really enjoyed our wedding and Five Star catering deserves a lot of the credit. The food and service was wonderful. The banquet captain, in particular, was exceptional. The food received many compliments from our guests. Working with Laura (the owner) leading up to the event was great; she was responsive, flexible, warm and generally helpful. We do not hesitate to recommend Five Star.

Sent on 08/13/2014
  • Angel

Angel · Married on 05/24/2014

I have worked with a number of caterers but none were better than 5 Star. Their quality, flexibility, and friendly service is remarkable. We had a buffet and the meat was juicy, the vegetables crisp and the mashed potatoes were out of this world!! The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone worked very hard to make everything perfect for our special day! I would highly recommend 5 Star!!

Sent on 06/01/2014
  • cathy

cathy · Married on 03/15/2014

the food was AMAZING.... from appetizers to main course everything was delicious and everyone said it was among the best wedding food they had eaten. the staff was also wonderful. maybe it's the norm, but it was such a nice treat that as the bridal party went through they filled our plates from the buffet choices we wanted to ensure we didn't get anything on our 'finery'.

even more special to me they filled/brought plates to my parents who don't get around very easily and both walk with canes so handling the buffet/plates and getting back to the table would have been challenging. yes there were other family guests that could have done the same, but the fact that the staff did so really means a lot to me and the level of service you can expect.

and they 'boxed up' all the left overs for us - due to a few last minute no shows we have enough food that i don't have to shop/cook for at least a week - another bonus!

Sent on 03/17/2014

Sue · Married on 11/02/2013

Kim’s wedding day was a huge success. The food was outstanding. Our guests were blown away by the quality and taste. From appetizers to the main meal everything was delicious, served hot and appeared and disappeared on time. The servers, including the bartender, were excellent. They took care of everything that needed to be done and more. The kitchen was left the way they found it. From meeting you at the initial tasting to the end of the event everything was effortless, on our part. You accommodated the changes that Kim made with no problem. We were so fortunate to have found Five Star and will highly recommend your company to anyone who asks. Thank you very much!

Sent on 11/20/2013