First Day Films Reviews

35 Reviews for First Day Films

• Victoria

Victoria · Married on 12/07/2018

Amazing!!!

My husband and I used John and his team for our 12/07/18 wedding and could not be happier!!!

For the 2+ years leading up to my wedding, I was certain I did not want a videographer after seeing so many weddings with obstructive, awkward, and super posed videos… but after realizing that the most common wedding regret is not having a video, my husband and I had a change of heart. When our photographer recommended First Day Films, I immediately called up and booked John, and I am so glad we did!

Leading up to the wedding, John met with my husband and I in person and had us answer some questions to get to know us better, which I loved because it completely translates in his work - everything feels truly personalized. The day of the wedding, John and his assistant showed up on time and immediately began filming without us even noticing. Whether we were at the church, taking pictures outside, or celebrating at our reception, John was there every step of the way capturing every moment without disruption. The tagline for First Day Films is “Relax. Enjoy yourself. You won’t know we’re there.” and I cannot express how true this is!! Looking back at my wedding reception, I don’t even remember seeing John except for when I said goodbye at the end – HE’S THAT GOOD.

Within days of our wedding John had already posted an amazing one-minute highlight video to social media, which all our family and friends could not stop raving about! The quality of John’s work is unbelievably natural, clean, simple, and elegant, without any of the obviously cheesy and staged videos you so often see! He has the amazing ability to so clearly capture genuine, special moments without anything seeming fake or rehearsed.

I am so thankful that we hired First Day Films, and that we will always have our video to look back on to relive the best day of our lives!

Jessica · Married on 11/03/2018

Amamzing!

My husband Brian and i could not have been happier with First Day Films. Working with John and first day films was amazing!! John created the best trailer for us and really helped us relive the best day! We are beyond excited to see how amazing our finished product will be!

Jonathan · Married on 07/14/2018

Wonderful Videographer - don't hesitate!

We can't recommend First Day Films more highly and we couldn't be happier that we chose them to shoot our wedding. We did a ton of research about videographers in the New York area and First Day Films was far and away the best option for a number of reasons:

1. The films - the highlight films are just beautiful, artistic and perfectly capture the day. We were drawn to John's films at first because of the perfect combination of artistic filmmaking, while still keeping sight of the fact that the films should be personal (it is your wedding after all!). We particularly liked how John incorporates real-time sound and speech excerpts into the highlights, which adds richness and emotion to the films. Many other videographers had nice highlight films, but they often had no real-time sound (just a song) which made them feel like more of a distant music video than a highlight film of a wedding. Ours turned out amazing and we couldn't be happier!

In addition, First Day Films provides a fully edited film of the "formalities" of your wedding, including the full ceremony, first dance, speeches, cake cutting and any other special parts of the day. And this is not just an "archival record" of these events. It's fully edited, with thoughtful cuts, reaction shots and great quality sound. We were surprised when speaking with other companies how few offered anything more than the standard 5min highlight film. When they did, it was usually in the form of an "archive" shot of the ceremony (i.e., just one take from a camera on a tripod in the back) or they offered to give us the raw footage in which case we'd have to sift through files to piece together the full set of formalities. For us, we really wanted a fuller record of what happened at the wedding that was actually watchable, and the formalities film was the perfect thing!

2. Value - First Day Films was by far the best value we could find in terms of quality and the films delivered. They were in line with or cheaper than the pricing of other companies we spoke to and, as noted above, offered a lot more in terms of final product. First Day Films also does not nickel and dime. We had a larger than usual number of speeches and a few "extra" formalities (like a birthday cake and song sung by the groom) and these were all included in the formalities film with no extra editing fee or other charge. (I mention this because we had asked another company about providing a film of the wedding speeches and were told there would be a charge of $500 per speech with, on top of that, an extra charge if we wanted the film to include footage of our "reactions" to the speeches!)

3. Service - The service from the start was excellent. John was attentive to all our questions throughout the process and was always available by phone and email to answer any questions (and we had many). He was very patient in helping us pick a song for our highlight film and went above and beyond to make sure we had a product we were happy with.

In short - don't hesitate!

Laura · Married on 06/16/2018

First Day Films is the best!

Hiring First Day Films was the one of the top decisions we made when planning our wedding! John was extremely responsive and thoughtful from the start, and worked with us throughout our year and half engagement to make sure we would walk away with a video we would love from our wedding day. John and his team were easy to work with throughout the process and were so much fun to have around on our wedding day. You hardly noticed they were filming during the day, and when we did notice them, they were a refreshing and calm presence in what otherwise can be a hectic day. Aside from the fact that they are wonderful people to work with, the videos we got were perfect. They beautifully captured our day and everyone we have showed agrees. We cannot say enough positive things about First Day Films. It would be a mistake not to use them because you are guaranteed to be pleased with the final product!

Jillian · Married on 05/19/2018

I can’t say enough great things about John. We weren’t going to hire a videographer but I didn’t want to regret that so when I decided to look for one I immediately started with getting a reference from our photographer. We had grown super close with her (Sarma and Co.) so we trusted her judgement. The second I saw John’s work I knew why. His style was exactly what we were looking for and after speaking with him I knew he was super talented. He sent us tons of links to get a feel for his style and answered my millions of questions. You can tell his quality of video is so professional, crisp and clear, and emotional. I’ve seen some cheesy wedding videos and you will not get that here. We got happy tears from one of his videos of strangers to us when we were checking out his work!

At the wedding once we got used to being filmed it was easy to forget John and Jimmy the second shooter were there since they were so unobtrusive. John was super helpful in the week leading up to the wedding in planning for rain too. It did rain and we had to work around it. I especially appreciated his attention to detail with our umbrella. After shooting for a short period he thought to cut the thing that holds the umbrella together which I would have never thought of. So smart so it’s not dangling and looking odd.

We haven’t seen the footage yet but I know it will be great. They posted our little 1 minute teaser online and it’s so amazing. We keep rewatching it and can’t wait to receive everything else!

I highly recommend First Day Films!

Danielle · Married on 04/29/2018

Book first day films... Now

I can't recommend First Day Films enough to anyone!

My friend had worked with John and his team for her wedding back in 2009, I saw some their footage and knew then that whenever I got married I wanted to work with them!

Fast forward to 2018 and I told my now husband we HAD to work with John and First Day Films. Not only do they produce amazing work but they're so easy going and lovely. They respond to emails super fast, answering ALL of my questions and believe me there were a ton, they also have GREAT taste in music and really listened to what we wanted in our footage.

BOOK THEM!

Emily · Married on 08/26/2017

Working with John was such a pleasure from start to finish, I feel so lucky that he filmed our wedding day. I watched SO many wedding videos and fell in love with his style. He sat on the phone with me and my husband for probably an hour going over his style and how he works as a vendor and talked about what we were looking for so we knew it was going to be a good match. A few months before the wedding he sent over a questionnaire to go over timeline and to get a feel for what was important for us to catch on video. This makes a huge difference on the day of the wedding. John was discrete but assertive, making sure he go good shots without being overwhelming. He respected our Rabbi and our wishes for him to get shots from the sides during the ceremony. Two days after the wedding he had created a brilliant 1 minute clip of the wedding. It was amazing how he pieced it together, I have watched it hundreds of times already. I can't wait for the full thing! I cannot recommend John highly enough.

Amy · Married on 06/04/2017

I cannot say enough good things about John and his team at First Day Films. I watched almost every video on FDF's Vimeo page, and I fell in love with each one. I still stalk their page for new videos. I never felt like I had a camera in my face, but somehow John and his team were everywhere. A week after the wedding, we received a beautiful trailer/sneak peek of our video. I can't wait to see the whole thing!!

Lindsey · Married on 09/17/2016

John was really helpful in guiding us through the videography process from start to finish. He is professional and made us feel very comfortable on our wedding day. We are so happy with the final highlight video John created. It truly captures some of the best moments of our wedding day – edited perfectly, and we’ve received a ton of positive feedback from our friends and family which is the best compliment.

Jessica · Married on 08/27/2016

When searching for any type of wedding vendor, details like great quality, service, and value are of course important and First Day Films satisfies all of these requirements. What made them truly stand out, however, was the feeling that John Miller and his staff were truly invested in helping to make our wedding day an unforgettable experience, making sure to be close by to capture every moment while still remaining behind the scenes. They were an absolute pleasure to work with!

• I

Iva · Married on 07/31/2016

My husband and I could not have been happier with the quality and service of First Day Films. When I initially called First Day Films months prior to the wedding, I remember John taking the time to speak to me for over forty five minutes on the phone- describing his videography style, details, etc.- his passion for what he does was clearly evident and contagious! Leading up to our Summer wedding, John met with us a few times and we discussed expectations in detail- the process was seamless and we truly felt as though we were in the absolute best hands imaginable. The day of the wedding (and every meeting and phone call leading up to then), we were truly impressed by the highest level of professionalism, reassurance, talent, quality, relatability, and unobtrusive nature of the First Day Films team! Shortly following the wedding, John even shared a sneak peek clip of our day (through Instagram) for our family/friends to view! Fast forward just a quick few months and my husband and I cried watching our highlight film last week, along with all other footage (especially our vows). John exceeded our expectations and his attention to detail with our requests was so much appreciated- we absolutely can't wait to stop by and thank him in person next week! First Day Films has to be your first and last stop while you're browsing for a videographer team- they are not just exceptional people, but produce exceptional work. First Day Films- we are so thankful and appreciative- writing this review has been such a pleasure and we wish we could get married again just to have another film from you! -Iva and Matt

• Tina

Tina · Married on 07/10/2016

John is wonderful to work with! I didn't even know that he was around. He is very professional and knows what he is doing. I can't wait to see our wedding video!

We've watched our video a few times and absolutely LOVE it! We can't get over how wonderful it is. Really. It is beyond our expectations and such an amazing compilation of the night. It captures everything so wonderfully -- we love the feature, and we really appreciate having the parts of the wedding broken down so we can watch individual sections when we want! We still watch the highlight video all the time too, and friends and family have said how much they love it also.

John and his assistant were super accommodating and great on the day of--they captured everything, but they were never intrusive! John was also wonderful about working with us on the music, as that was very important to us. The music turned out perfect, both on the highlight video as well as on the feature, and we so appreciated his time and effort to make it as perfect for us as possible. Thank you so much!!

Jess · Married on 10/11/2014

I knew I would give First Day Films 5 stars before we received our video, and now that I saw it, I wish we could give them more! John is so kind, fun, easy to work with and extremely talented. So many people told me after the wedding that they didn't even notice that his team was filming - there were no bright lights or huge cameras in anyone's face. I couldn't be happier with the experience and finished product, and recommend First Day Films to all - THANK YOU, JOHN!

Amy · Married on 05/17/2014

After having the wedding of a lifetime, my husband and I were anxious to relive that special day through the eyes of our family and friends. Once we saw our recap video (not even the whole video) we were beyond thrilled. John Miller was incredibly easy to work with and made the whole experience easy - as it should be! John and his team were extremely professional and when our wedding photos came back, we were unfortunately disappointed. John and his team did all they could to help recreate the special moments and memories that were missed in our still photos. My father and I practiced our father - daughter dance for over two months (it was a tap dance - and neither of us tap!) and it was captured beautifully! It is that extra special memory from the weekend that will always hold a special place in my heart and something that will be treasured forever! Words cannot describe how truly happy we were with the results and I think this email I sent to John sums up my initial response and gratitude for his work on our magical day.

Hi John,

WOW!!! Thank you so much for creating such a beautiful and magical memory for us to always be able to look back on. Eric and I watched (over and over again) the video and I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of our hearts! We couldn't have been happier with how it turned out and my parents are in love with it too! And thank you again for sending me our father daughter dance. It was such a special thing for my dad and I to do and so happy we were able to relive it together.

Thank you so much again!!!

Best,
    Amy

Leigh · Married on 11/10/2013

John and his assistant are amazing to work with. I never once felt awkward being filmed like I thought I would. John is funny and easy going, so it's like hanging out with a friend. It made it even better than he is friendly with our photographer, so they worked seamlessly together. John's work is incredible and worth every penny. Having a video provides an opportunity to see the event years from now and remember what a blast it was.

Jess · Married on 09/01/2013

Loved working with John for our September 1st 2013 wedding! He indulged my need for a video and my groom feel at ease when he was reluctant to a videographer in the first place.

He was kind enough to squeeze us in at the last minute and i couldn't be happier! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jennifer · Married on 05/31/2013

My husband and I were married on May 31, 2013 and thanks to John and his team at First Day Films, the most memorable day of our lives was captured on film...beautifully! We highly recommend First Day Films, you won't regret it!

Nao · Married on 04/27/2013

It was a pleasure working with John from First Day Films. My husband and I were impressed by the quality of his videos and he was very amenable to working with us regarding our budget and expectations.

The true joy was being able to share the videos with family members who weren't able to attend the wedding. First Day Films took music recommendations into consideration and created a natural and well-paced film, including a highlight.

John is very easy going and I remember all of us joking around as we were getting ready for the big day. It definitely helped during the more emotional moments!

• F

Frances · Married on 06/18/2011

We watched the entire Noa & Warren DVD ( with a big tub of popcorn) and loved every moment. It was like being back at the wedding all over again & we thank you for capturing a very special day for all of us. The music is wonderful & everyone who see it says it is the BEST WEDDING VIDEO ever. I think so!
    So once again thanks for all your special work and we love how it turned out.

Mercedes · Married on 06/11/2011

John did an AMAZING job on my daughter's wedding. He captured every moment of one of the most important days in my life. He was so professional that half the time, I didn't remember he was there. But watching the video showed just how much care he took to capture every moment. We are THRILLED with the finished product. I will recommend him to everyone I know. Thank you, John, for an incredible job!

Stacey · Married on 06/05/2011

We absolutely love John Miller Videography! (His company is now called FIRST DAY FILMS) We weren't sure if we wanted to have a video, we were trying to save money, but it was so worth it, I can't imagine not having video of our wedding day. John was such a pleasure to work with. He gave us personal attention and got to know us as a couple so that he could really document our story. He was also very flexible (we often had to reschedule things and he was so great about it). His style is so honest and beautiful, documentary style, nothing like the old school wedding videos. Also, the day of our wedding he was so helpful, he really went above and beyond. I can tell that he cares about each couple he works with.

Tiffany · Married on 06/04/2011

John is an amazing videographer, and we are so happy with the finished product. We were originally on the fence about hiring a videographer - most wedding videos just seem so cheesy, but we decided to go with John based on his personality and the videos he showed us that were decidedly not cheesy. He was also very flexible - we had let him know how much we were looking to pay (which was less than his standard package), and he adjusted his package very easily (instead of having an assistant, it was just him, which reduced the price to fall within our budget). He also allowed us to save a small portion of the balance to be paid once the videos were ready, which I think makes sense when you're waiting on a finished product.

Throughout the day, you hardly even knew he was around (which was a good thing) - completely unobtrusive - no big lights in your face. He showed up earlier than he said, so that he could get some shots of me getting ready with the bridesmaids, which was really nice. He is honestly a pleasure to work with.

And now that we've received the finished product, I can unequivocally say that I highly recommend John and First Day Films as a wedding videographer. He initially sent us the wedding day recap before we received the full video, which was amazing. It's like a movie trailer - it captured all of the greatest moments of the entire day in a 3 minute music video - I think I watch this thing at least 1x every few days, and it makes me so happy. And then the actual full video is a great documentary of the best day of my life. It just captures everything that we loved about the day - the entire ceremony, the best man/matron of honor speeches, cutting the cake, bridal party photos, getting ready, special dances... And to reiterate - no cheesy interviews. It allows us to relive the whole day and experience the fun and energy of the reception.

Kate · Married on 04/16/2011

I was one of those brides that said, "I don't need a videographer." Thank goodness someone talked sense into me. John was the first and only phone call that I made. John has a serious knack for the craft of videography and story telling. Saying that what John produced was a "video of our wedding" would be an understatement and disservice. John produced a documentary that captured the story and essence of our day in a way that was so personal and depicted who my husband and I are as a couple.

Emilie · Married on 08/14/2010

John is amazing! From the very first time we met (he came to our house) I knew that we would be getting a quality and profressional service. Anytime I contacted John he got back to me promptly and was so helpful throughout the process. The day of the wedding we didn't even know he was there! He was not in our faces at all, which is something we were concerned about. He catupred every detail of the day beautifuly and did not leave anything out. Everything about the finished product was amazing, the shots, the real audio he used, the background music, and especially the 'recap' of the day at the end. I would highly recommend John to anyone I ever know in my life that gets married!